Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

What's up with the playable characters not saying stuff/reacting in the new acts? Usually after killing a boss in Acts 1-4 they would say something and it was a nice little touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
I decided to try out LL SRS this league. Should I be gem swapping for bosses? Currently using SRS-Minion Damage-Elemental Focus-Minion Speed-Culling Strike-Melee Splash.

Auraragi shows what I'm currently running for gear. It needs some upgrades but ES is hard to come by cheap this league. I plan on doing a lot more MF since I typically party with others. Any suggestions for upgrade priority?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

damnfan posted:

I decided to try out LL SRS this league. Should I be gem swapping for bosses? Currently using SRS-Minion Damage-Elemental Focus-Minion Speed-Culling Strike-Melee Splash.

Melee Splash for Melee Physical Damage or Multistrike.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

nerox posted:

Build: Facebreaker/Ancestral Warchief from this guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1694250

So my question is: is the belly worth it when I can get a 6L and only give up a little bit of life.

My character is Choppy_Totems here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/choppyesq/characters

I'm using the same build and I've been thinking of dropping my 5L belly for a 6L rare but I think I would need to drop abyssus to do it, I'm at ~5200 health at level 84 and get knocked down to <20% health pretty often in red maps. I already keep a deidbell around to swap in for trials because traps become insanely deadly if I'm wearing abyssus

Do abyssus users typically switch to a different hat when fighting Izaro?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

frajaq posted:

What's up with the playable characters not saying stuff/reacting in the new acts? Usually after killing a boss in Acts 1-4 they would say something and it was a nice little touch

They probably don't have access to all of the voice actors anymore. A few of the npcs got different actors for 3.0 but redoing voice work for a player character would be a lot more work on top of the cost of new lines for every playable character across every new act. $$$

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Chances are the voice work will be added in a patch or two.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
You know what would be neat? A guild hideout. They have all the technology for this, I don't imagine it would be that hard to set up.

• Towns already instance large amounts of players that are not grouped.
  • We already have customizable hideouts.
  • They already have a poo poo ton of level art they could reuse.

I think it would be pretty useful. It'd be larger than a hideout obviously, and it would show up on the world map like the Aspirant's Plaza and the Hideout. The best masters in the guild would show up, so everyone can use those crafting recipes and poo poo. They could probably add some other neat guild related features as well.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Got to 85 with Hiero frostbolt totems and a 5L Taryn's. Good build, solid clear speed though a bit lacking in single-target. 5k life and 1.4k unreserved mana for MoM make it pretty tanky too. Only died twice so far: act 10 Kitava filling the arena with fire and ran out of instant life flask, and running my friend through act 10 Kitava, same exact story. Never found the safe spot for that move.

Of course I got impatient and rerolled a stupid hipster build as soon as I could fund it.

Scion (going rear end-zerker), Cyclone Cast on Crit Dark Pact. Just hit 69 and put on my 5L Cherrubim's and it's finally starting to feel good. Vaal Pact, blasphemy warlord's and assassin's mark (thanks Doedre's ring), crappy Vagan dagger with crafted crit chance, and stuck wearing an Ungil's Harmony to get enough crit chance for the foreseeable future.

Bosses are still rough though, and I'm probably going to get a carry for merc and uber lab. Going Path of the Marauder to grab all of the juicy life on the left side of the tree, and won't have the Assassin node until I do uber lab. Overall I'm just happy that it functions, and clearspeed is actually getting decent!

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 10, 2017

Hemick
Mar 4, 2007
Is there a goon global chat channel numbe for nerds outside of the goon guild?

If not, we need to make one, and we need to make it 12250, because I II II L

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hemick posted:

Is there a goon global chat channel numbe for nerds outside of the goon guild?

If not, we need to make one, and we need to make it 12250, because I II II L

you want to be in a chat with everyone linking new poo poo saying hmmmmmm

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Holyshoot posted:

new poo poo

hmmmmmm

I'm in!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mentat Radnor posted:

Got to 85 with Hiero frostbolt totems and a 5L Taryn's. Good build, solid clear speed though a bit lacking in single-target. 5k life and 1.4k unreserved mana for MoM make it pretty tanky too. Only died twice so far: act 10 Kitava filling the arena with fire and ran out of instant life flask, and running my friend through act 10 Kitava, same exact story. Never found the safe spot for that move.
Lefternmost and rightmost edges of the arena have narrow spots where you can avoid fire.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
How do multiple curse on hit curses overwrite each other if I don't have a 2nd curse source? The guide I'm using has one setup for herald of ice to assassin's mark for power charges (which I'm thinking of dropping now that they're nerfed a bit and I only get three), and another with frenzy to ele weakness for boss killing. Presumably last one wins except with herald every single hit would reapply it?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
When curse on hit is linked to herald of ice the curse is only applied by the frozen enemy explosion portion, not by every hit. So only enemies killed within a pack will be effected by it, basically just used to gain power charges.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Does anyone have a good Wild Strike build? I looked around a bit, but I only saw 2.6 guides, and I don't know what's still good in melee since I usually run casters.

Alternately, I'd like to try Charged Dash, but people on the official forums were complaining that it's under-tuned.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Noper Q posted:

Does anyone have a good Wild Strike build

I was eyeballing this one after it was linked earlier https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1929055

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My only complaints with the game right now off the top are my head:

More stash tabs should be visible without the need to scroll sideways,
10% chance for a single breach in a map should be upped to a chance for 1-3 breachs, too many things are turned into one-of's and breach uniques had a lot of build variety.
Master rotations need to be a thing of the past and unnecessary to hit level 7 on them soloing.

GGG has been really good at fixing most of the more annoying or problem parts of the game and I can forgive most of what's bad or done poorly about act 5-10 just because I'll never ever have to repeat a act two more times per character after I do them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Noper Q posted:

Does anyone have a good Wild Strike build? I looked around a bit, but I only saw 2.6 guides, and I don't know what's still good in melee since I usually run casters.

Alternately, I'd like to try Charged Dash, but people on the official forums were complaining that it's under-tuned.

I was following a bit of this wild strike guide https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1867849/page/1

Wildstrike is a surprisingly good skill and this is also the first time I've gone berserker with vaal pact and cloaked in savagery has to be the most broken ascendancy point in the game, so long as you have something to hit and don't die to a one shot your healthbar will keep jumping from 1% to 100% every swing.

Wildstrike single target damage is rather good and with 100% pierce and multiple chains baseline even unlinked to anything it can clear a pack in a swing, only complaint so far is the complaint I'd have with any namelock or multi-strike skill in that without lots and lots of attack speed it feels pretty bad to use because of how it locks you out of any other action until you finish swinging 3 times.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 10, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Lefternmost and rightmost edges of the arena have narrow spots where you can avoid fire.

Awesome, thanks.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

More stash tabs should be visible without the need to scroll sideways,

The stash tab UI in general is now the most pressing QoL issue in the game in my opinion. I have 36 tabs and trying to navigate between them is a constant pain in the rear end. The button to open the list should be much larger if we're forced to click on it so drat often. As you say, more tabs should be visible and clickable at once (a second row has been suggested so many times over the years), and there should be a hotkey to scroll between entire "pages" of tabs. Also, the scroll list of tabs has a bunch of empty space between its bottom and the bottom of my screen. It could be displaying another 6 tabs instead of forcing me to scroll, which is maddeningly amateur UI design.

I really hope they spend some dev time on these kind of fundamental quality of life improvements.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
The second row idea has been consistently ignored because it wouldn't work well.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

i can still taste him posted:

I was eyeballing this one after it was linked earlier https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1929055

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I was following a bit of this wild strike guide https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1867849/page/1

Wildstrike is a surprisingly good skill and this is also the first time I've gone berserker with vaal pact and cloaked in savagery has to be the most broken ascendancy point in the game, so long as you have something to hit and don't die to a one shot your healthbar will keep jumping from 1% to 100% every swing.

Wildstrike single target damage is rather good and with 100% pierce and multiple chains baseline even unlinked to anything it can clear a pack in a swing, only complaint so far is the complaint I'd have with any namelock or multi-strike skill in that without lots and lots of attack speed it feels pretty bad to use because of how it locks you out of any other action until you finish swinging 3 times.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I want more hideout tilesets from the new acts please GGG. Ossuary/reliquary prefered but a snow mountain top one would be cool as well.

And more guild slots.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bugsy posted:

I want more hideout tilesets from the new acts please GGG. Ossuary/reliquary prefered but a snow mountain top one would be cool as well.

And more guild slots.

One of these days I should make a hideout that's more than just the benches clustered around the stash and waypoint.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

i can still taste him posted:

I'm basically using this, with some changes I made that may or may not be optimal but were easier as I was leveling (swords not claws, no weapon specific nodes yet until I can buy an endgame wep). Smoothest leveling experience I've had in years.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gonadic io posted:

One of these days I should make a hideout that's more than just the benches clustered around the stash and waypoint.

I decorate my hideout every league when I'm WFH and on a call.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Really having trouble getting the Doedre fight in Act 8. Ranger on Split Arrow / Frenzy, 2,5k hp, capped elemental resists and chaos at ~20%, unfortunately. Should probably try to stick to the best phase from the valve, whichever that might be? Just feel too squishy, 80+% goes to any hit that connects from the boss it feels.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Magus42 posted:

The second row idea has been consistently ignored because it wouldn't work well.

Just force tab abbreviations, make zigzag.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

gonadic io posted:

When they add that proposed saving/loading, I'm all for that. Hopefully soon!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I was thinking of a wildstrike build as my next guy and was looking at this build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1867849

I can't tell the relative pros and cons without playing the character though.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

nerox posted:

Build: Facebreaker/Ancestral Warchief from this guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1694250

The guide recommends using Belly of the Beast, I am finally up to around 90c, and can afford a basic Belly of the Beast (no 5-6linked).

Playing around with path of building to see what the Belly would give me compared to a generic armor and/or evasion chestpiece, and using the filters +100 life and +1200 armor/evasion (which gives 1200+armor from my keystones) would give me more damage reduction and about 200 less life. A 6L chest with this description I can get for about 100c. The only other thing the belly gives me is the flask recharge rate.

My life pool right now is right about 3800.

So my question is: is the belly worth it when I can get a 6L and only give up a little bit of life.

My character is Choppy_Totems here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/choppyesq/characters

you need way more life, dog. get + life on rings, amulet, +% on jewels
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/mortimermcmire/characters
char=bennyurquidez
swapping the belly for a rare 5l puts me at over 5k, with the belly i'm near 6k

belly doesn't just give you a ton of life, it gives you up to 15% allres, a ton of armor, and makes your health flask heal 1.5x faster which is pretty great. insane 6ls can probably beat it, but those are few and far between

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm using the same build and I've been thinking of dropping my 5L belly for a 6L rare but I think I would need to drop abyssus to do it, I'm at ~5200 health at level 84 and get knocked down to <20% health pretty often in red maps. I already keep a deidbell around to swap in for trials because traps become insanely deadly if I'm wearing abyssus

Do abyssus users typically switch to a different hat when fighting Izaro?
never not warcry. always enduring cry constantly. use a granite flask constantly. never swap for izaro, the goal is to kill him before he even has a chance to do anything.
my uber izaro strat:
-throw 2 totems down
-pop every flask and run in a circle
-izaro is dead before he gets two attacks off

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I'm going to describe my experience with my first two characters in 3.0 and hopefully, someone can recommend me a build that would suit my playstyle better.

My first character was a Tornado Shot Ranger (Raider). She was entirely evasion based, which meant she got squished by any and all bosses if they so much as sniffled in her general direction. Her clear speed was average, but the items for her were rather cheap, so I could gear her up a bit. I did not really like her squishiness, and frankly, it's turned me way off of evasion. I did, however, like her speed.

My second character was an SRS Aura Based Witch (Necromancer). Her clear speed was rather impressive, and her survivability was better than the ranger, to a point. Right at around level 60, the build I was following had me choose Blood Magic, which coupled with my auras meant most of my health was reserved. I didn't have great ES gear ready - it was alright but not great, and my resistances were maxed. Long story short, she became squishy from not really being that squishy, but this could be mitigated with a very active play style. I had to run around a lot more than on my ranger, to let my shield recharge, and to gain enough distance to cast a couple of skulls. I also had to keep track of my shield, health, and Vaal Clarity's soul charges since that controlled if I could cast without interrupting shield recharge. All in all, this is too complicated for me. I am not having fun having to keep up with all of this in combat. On top of this, I looked at the gear I will need to get her to a decent state with this build, and it is extremely expensive. I'm relatively new, and I don't have time to grind chaos orbs all day.

Note: I have both of these characters up to at least 65, in Act 8 at least. So I have some experience playing them.

So to make a long story short, I don't like evasion at all, and I don't really like energy shields because they require more multitasking than I would like to be doing. I basically want an armor and/or health tank that can face roll bosses without feeling like if he gets breathed on wrong he will die. I'd also like as much damage as possible, though I know survivability usually trades this off. Lastly, I would hope that the build would be something I could afford without having to invest in new socks to poop in.

What build am I looking for? I've been eyeballing various Marauder builds, and Leech Slayer Duelist, though the latter is evasion based which automatically turns me off a bit. I'd also kind of like to prevent damage from being taken, rather than taking it and leeching it back.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Mr. Despair posted:

You would have gotten more dps/survivability by taking commander of darkness and mistress of sacrifice in your first two labs, and then spirit eater. Beacon of corruption is sort of an extra cherry on top of the other good ascendancies.

There's a build which I tried some time ago which was relying on Beacon of Corruption first: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1726811

Level up as SRS, then switch (only from lv 38 forward) to Raise Spectre..

The trick is however to have a limit of 1 spectres (that's mandatory req, which means that you should avoid increasing that from the tree because that's the default) and link Raise Spectre - Spell Echo - Inc. AoE - Void Manipulation , etc.

Spell Echo makes you cast twice, summoning two spectres, but because there's a limit of 1 - your first one explodes, leaving a cloud of nasty poo poo, like caustic arrow, but (I think) it scales better and is easier to gear in SSF. This also means that in the next cast, your already existing spectre explodes, then new one gets summoned and it explodes too.

Other than that, you just link Wither - Cast when Channeling - Desecrate - whatever (I've been using summon skeletons). This bypasses the 3 charges limit on Desecrate, basically, lowering everybody's chaos res, creating bodies, which you can raise a spectre from and additionally summoning some meat-shieldy skeletons, which also explode.

Doesn't need any Baron or other uniques.

Not the fastest build but definitely not the slowest. And you've got at least 6 zombies with fortify which are running as meat shields.

I had some good fun with it.

kaaj fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 10, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Arsonide posted:

What build am I looking for? I've been eyeballing various Marauder builds, and Leech Slayer Duelist, though the latter is evasion based which automatically turns me off a bit. I'd also kind of like to prevent damage from being taken, rather than taking it and leeching it back.
If you're worried about being based on evasion as a Duelist, just take Iron Reflexes, which is near the Duelist start and will convert all evasion rating to armour. Your second request is the diametric opposite of your first though. The only ways to prevent taking damage from attacks that would otherwise hit you is evasion or dodge (from the Acrobatics keystone), both of which are chance-based.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

you need way more life, dog. get + life on rings, amulet, +% on jewels
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/mortimermcmire/characters
char=bennyurquidez
swapping the belly for a rare 5l puts me at over 5k, with the belly i'm near 6k

belly doesn't just give you a ton of life, it gives you up to 15% allres, a ton of armor, and makes your health flask heal 1.5x faster which is pretty great. insane 6ls can probably beat it, but those are few and far between

never not warcry. always enduring cry constantly. use a granite flask constantly. never swap for izaro, the goal is to kill him before he even has a chance to do anything.
my uber izaro strat:
-throw 2 totems down
-pop every flask and run in a circle
-izaro is dead before he gets two attacks off

Thanks for the advice, I went ahead and bought a 6L, which jumped my damage a lot. It's like you said, the goal is to kill Izaro before he ever does anything. More health would be nice, but I have been grinding out currency this league. I haven't had an exalted drop or even an item that was worth over 7c. So buying a 6L belly is way out of my reach. I bought a cheap belly yesterday and tried to get lucky, but couldn't even get it to 5L, so I sold it for a few more chaos than I paid for it.

Now that I have a 6L, I am going to try to work towards replacing my jewels with +%life and one damage modifier, rather than double damage modifier. I also need to work on my flasks. Right now, I am way over on resists. (+44% on Fire, +77% on cold, and +63% on lightning). I am going to work on getting +life/physical damage jewelry as well. Luckily, I didn't pay more than 1C for any jewel or jewelry I have right now.

edit: Is there a website where you can link 2 different skilltrees and it will highlight the differences?

nerox fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 10, 2017

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

gonadic io posted:

Since hideout decorations are part of the shared mtx system you can buy a crap load of expensive decorations from the permenant leagues and use them in harbinger. Unfortunately there is no way to sort them beside by name so anytime you upgrade your hideout you have to dig for your benches.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Arsonide posted:

Max Block build! Dual wield Gladiator using Sunder is popular (I went Blade Flurry hoping to utilize the new unique shield), so is Scorching Ray Templar/Marauder (could even throw in Righteous Fire).

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lunsku posted:

Really having trouble getting the Doedre fight in Act 8. Ranger on Split Arrow / Frenzy, 2,5k hp, capped elemental resists and chaos at ~20%, unfortunately. Should probably try to stick to the best phase from the valve, whichever that might be? Just feel too squishy, 80+% goes to any hit that connects from the boss it feels.

Decoy Totem

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes I want to make an optimiser that will solve the nphard problem of, "I have these non-unique slots open, I have hard requirements of +x +y z +to cap resists, movespeed on the boots, and a b c attributes to equip items and gems, plus soft competing requirements for offensive and defensive affixes, while taking in to account open slots for masters, at a minimum price, knowing that only 80% of the items indexed will actually be purchasable."

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Sometimes I want to make an optimiser that will solve the nphard problem of, "I have these non-unique slots open, I have hard requirements of +x +y z +to cap resists, movespeed on the boots, and a b c attributes to equip items and gems, plus soft competing requirements for offensive and defensive affixes, while taking in to account open slots for masters, at a minimum price, knowing that only 80% of the items indexed will actually be purchasable."

so what is it supposed to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It presents to you a set of simultaneous gear to buy, rather than going piece by piece and having the requirements on your final item becoming more and more strict.