Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Does anyone have a gif of Donna mouthing "on the internet" and making typing motions with her hands by any chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bicyclops posted:

Does anyone have a gif of Donna mouthing "on the internet" and making typing motions with her hands by any chance?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Astroman posted:

It doesn't offend me, but it sounds like what you are saying is the only way to combat racism is to make Doctor Who (and most other shows I guess) completely minority focused. And how do you do more representation--make every show minority majority cast? That doesn't seem practical, and I disagree that's the only way to fight stereotypes.

I mean we're already watching a show with black companions, black Colonial soldiers, and black Romans, and we've come darn close to a black Doctor. But it's still a "horrible underrepresentation?"

[Gif of homer walking backwards into the hedge]

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

learnincurve posted:

Apologies if repost: Slightly odd but well done 12 tribute video that's doing the rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KkuPy3NkKE

That was really well done, thanks for pointing me to it!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

One wasn't all that impressed with Two and Three

A 'dandy and a clown' is what he called them, if memory serves

Course, One always was a bit of a grouch, so I imagine he and Twelve are going to get along like a house on fire

about that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

"Why are you dressed like a magician, sir?"
"Wait till you see the technicolour yawn-coat."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

"Why are you dressed like a magician, sir?"
"Wait till you see the technicolour yawn-coat."
And suddenly, every Doctor from Two to Six gets a massive headache as One smacks his head against a tree

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Okay, I give up: where is Amazon hiding The Time of the Doctor?

e: lol, nm, it has it's OWN entry, even though there are separate entries both for the Doctor Who Christmas specials and the 50th Anniversary.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 11, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Okay, I give up: where is Amazon hiding The Time of the Doctor?

Amazon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGQIKh4TTfU

Maybe you'll find it here

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Amazon's Doctor Who is totally hosed. The 50th anniversary is season 50 of the original run of Doctor Who. Some christmas episodes are in the christmas seasons, some are in their own thing. And then if there were a few stand alone specials, they are all in their own category. I don't know why they can't just put everything under one "Doctor Who" listing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

Amazon's Doctor Who is totally hosed. The 50th anniversary is season 50 of the original run of Doctor Who. Some christmas episodes are in the christmas seasons, some are in their own thing. And then if there were a few stand alone specials, they are all in their own category. I don't know why they can't just put everything under one "Doctor Who" listing.

Well, it could be due to licensing weirdness from when BBC America began co-financing the show ... but Occam's Razor says it's just that Amazon can't design a GUI or properly build out a streaming database to save its life.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They had it arranged really well up until series 4, where Christmas specials were lumped in with the rest of the series and you could just watch the whole thing as a continuous run. Then the Year Of Specials comes along and everything goes to hell

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If they're going to create a random category for like every individual episode, they could at least have the decency to make auto-play understand what the next episode should be! It seems like they do it so that they can include all the random "Making of" or the short Youtube clips, but sheesh.

Oh well, at least it's still on streaming media, and one of the ones that I pay for, for the time being. Two years from now when every network has its own streaming service, every Doctor Who special will be it's own $20 monthly subscription, probably.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Well, it could be due to licensing weirdness from when BBC America began co-financing the show ... but Occam's Razor says it's just that Amazon can't design a GUI or properly build out a streaming database to save its life.

I genuinely have no idea why Amazon have not overhauled their streaming GUI in what feels like a decade. It's almost literally the worst one I've ever seen.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I for one can't wait til 12 starts talking down to this young man and telling him what's what.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I re-watched Voyage of the Damned today, and I can firmly say without hyperbole it is the dumbest Christmas special Doctor Who has ever had. It's not bad, but BOY is it dumb.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Naismith thinks he can control the Master, making him stupid. A more intelligent man might have taken more precautions, or had the good sense to just shoot the Master on sight or avoid him altogether. Black people having statistically lower IQs than other races is a right wing talking point I've heard a million times.

Naismith's attempt to control the Master relies upon Naismith's intelligence, because he's ultimately arrogant, not stupid. That's like claiming that Lex Luthor, whose defining characteristic is intelligence and wealth, is "stupid" because trying to defeat Superman is inherently dumb. It is inherently dumb, but the very powerful and the very stupid have something in common.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Steptoe and Son weren't black though? :confused: Oh, Wikipedia says Sanford and Son was based off Steptoe and Son, and they were black. Did you mean Sanford and Son? Though I wouldn't call that a black stereotype, especially since in the UK the same characters were white.

I doubt that anyone disagrees that institutional racism and unintentional racism exist. We're all Woke as hell. The disagreement is that we don't see it in Journey to the Center of the Tardis. "Working class salvage crew in space" is in no way a black stereotype, much less a negative stereotype. Some folks reframe it as "carjackers in space" but there is no carjacking of any kind so that's not even a stretch, it's a flat out fabrication. They let their sibling rivalry get out of hand in a big way, but that also isn't a black stereotype.

These men aren't criminals. They are scrappers. Recyclers. That is objectively a good and valuable contribution to society. They are rough working class fellows, but there is nothing wrong with that. Yeah, when they find themselves in a bizarre situation their behavior is not exemplary, but that's true of like half the one off characters of in the show.

There is nothing in the episode to be indignant about. There is no racism, no injustice here.

Yes, meant Sanford and Son. But you're addressing a generic idea without directly considering the circumstances of the actual episode. These particular benevolent recyclers aren't sure what they're scrapping, damage an active craft, and then think they've killed someone and respond with "we better pretend this didn't happen." The episode doesn't present them as good working class fellows (a la Oxygen) so much as they are potential villains who the Doctor has to bribe to get to help him and who behave maliciously and are punished. They're certainly not presented as, say, violent thugs, but I half-expected Oompa Loompas to come out and sing a song

I am not indignant about anything in this particular episode beyond that it is disappointingly bad and a huge waste of an excellent high concept. Part of the badness, though, is a poor characterization that goes hand in hand with a particular sort of racial insensitivity. The big deal made over Clara thinking the Doctor put the TARDIS on Basic because she's a "woman driver" doesn't exactly help, either. From my perspective, the problem isn't one of racism or sexist but general bad writing, but I can certainly see how a clear case can be drawn that this particular kind of bad writing helps reinforce racist stereotypes because the characters struggle to resolve as individuals. There's a difference between the racist "I can't tell these three black men apart" and the critical comment "I can't tell these three characters apart because they are written so poorly, except maybe the one that the other two lied to about being a robot has the distinguishing characteristic of thinking he's a robot." In the end, they learn a lesson from events they can't remember that brings them closer together as a family, teaching us all not to lie to our brothers about being robots.

OK, I guess I am pretty indignant about this episode. Time to move on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Narsham posted:

In the end, they learn a lesson from events they can't remember that brings them closer together as a family, teaching us all not to lie to our brothers about being robots.

A message for the ages.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Narsham posted:

they are potential villains who the Doctor has to bribe to get to help him and who behave maliciously and are punished.

I think you really have to dig a bit to see people being lied to and threatened and think "ah, the show wants me to think of these men as villains"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I think you really have to dig a bit to see people being lied to and threatened and think "ah, the show wants me to think of these men as villains"

The problem with this line of thinking, though, is that as an audience, we already know that the Doctor is the show's hero. Often in this show, he waltzes into a very dangerous situation, condescends to a bunch of experts while acting a bit loony, and wants to immediately be put in charge. When he does this, despite the fact that the people reacting against him are actually pretty rational, the show obviously wants us to be on the Doctor's side, portraying his doubters as annoying and closed-minded, and the Doctor's lunacy as charm.

It's fine. It cuts through the capture-and-release they used to do and it lets the Doctor thumb his nose at authority while also giving a bit of exposition to the audience. But it's the same in Journey: sure, the Doctor threatens them, but as an audience, we know that he has no choice; his friend (the companion we also know and like) is in trouble. If only these fellows would have agreed to help without being threatened, he wouldn't have had to do it! They're mean to their brother! And despite his advice, once they're inside his Cave of Wonders, they keep reaching for the dangerous glowing things and get punished for taking them.

It doesn't matter what should be logical. Characters who don't listen to the Doctor, who don't work toward helping him achieve his goals, aren't necessarily villains, but the show actively encourages us not to root for them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I don't remember why he even shanghai'd those guys. How much help will three random guys be in searching the TARDIS?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Basically none at all, as it turned out

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The fact is, racism or not, the story would have been a lot better off without those characters, although I don't think even that would save it, because it's an episode that somehow manages to take a great premise, being lost inside the TARDIS and seeing some of its back rooms, and do nothing exciting at all with it.

Anyway, I liked Deep Breath a bit less on a rewatch. It's more than the first half that's a mess, or at least it felt like it. It only starts to pick up once it really delves into the clockwork people. Into the Dalek isn't great either. Beginning of season 8 is pretty tough. I remember liking Listen, though, so I'll be glad to get to that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If they wanted to make it racist they should have had the swimming pool show up in one of the corridors, and then they have to go around because the three black men can't swim.

Not because they're black, but because they were born in a spaceship and never had the chance to take swimming lessons. Maybe it is YOU who is the real racist.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Those characters are probably the main reason why that episode is one of the few non-Moffat episodes I'll stick on every now and then for a rewatch tbh, that and the nice visuals. Series 8 probably has the highest concentration of those episodes with Robot Of Sherwood, The Caretaker, Mummy and Flatline. I'll even bung on Kill The Moon, really, there's something compelling about it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

2house2fly posted:

Those characters are probably the main reason why that episode is one of the few non-Moffat episodes I'll stick on every now and then for a rewatch tbh, that and the nice visuals. Series 8 probably has the highest concentration of those episodes with Robot Of Sherwood, The Caretaker, Mummy and Flatline. I'll even bung on Kill The Moon, really, there's something compelling about it
Visually, it's not a bad episode - same for Forest of the Night or whatever

It's just the story that had some (many, many, many) problems...

But that's already been covered

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I re-watched Voyage of the Damned today, and I can firmly say without hyperbole it is the dumbest Christmas special Doctor Who has ever had. It's not bad, but BOY is it dumb.

I think it is both bad and dumb.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I remember liking Listen, though, so I'll be glad to get to that.

Listen has the bit where the Doctor ponders the incredible hypothetical of "what if a creature evolved to hide?" which implies that Moffat has never actually been outside

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

If they wanted to make it racist they should have had the swimming pool show up in one of the corridors, and then they have to go around because the three black men can't swim.

Not because they're black, but because they were born in a spaceship and never had the chance to take swimming lessons. Maybe it is YOU who is the real racist.

That's a north american stereotype, not a British one

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Didn't Clara literally call him a stick insect in that episode too? If it had been less subtle I'd have said it was deliberate.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Listen has the bit where the Doctor ponders the incredible hypothetical of "what if a creature evolved to hide?" which implies that Moffat has never actually been outside

I think it's just the Doctor being irrationally terrified and paranoid.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It was a bit of a weird choice to have a smart scientist character say "why is there no such thing as perfect hiding". Maybe it was dumbed down for the kiddies

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
camoflage doesnt exist shut up

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

2house2fly posted:

It was a bit of a weird choice to have a smart scientist character say "why is there no such thing as perfect hiding". Maybe it was dumbed down for the kiddies

Um, the Doctor who television program was and always has been written for children, with stuff added in for the adults. It was never meant to be like Star Trek. Stuff like "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" never had any deep root in science, it was just a linguistically funny phrase that sounds sciency. Children wouldn't have known that, adults would, so they get to chuckle at the use of language and also at their children.
I always find it funny when people try to deconstruct the science behind the angels, the whole point of the angels was to scare the poo poo out of small children, anything else is secondary and completely unimportant. My kids were exactly the right age to have watched that and even though they know with their heads it was just a TV show, watching their reactions to statues was utterly hilarious for years afterwards.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I know! I was saying maybe they didn't use more complex language in that bit to make sure that young children watching didn't get confused!!!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Besides, the premise is clearly not "what if creatures evolved the ability to hide somehow", it's "what if there was a creature with camouflage that was so effective that no one anywhere knew it existed".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Besides, the premise is clearly not "what if creatures evolved the ability to hide somehow", it's "what if there was a creature with camouflage that was so effective that no one anywhere knew it existed".

Which itself is still pretty silly, but in a "The most terrifying thing about the Ultimate Evil is that they are always beyond the most long-range sensors!" kind of way. The Doctor has got some kind of weird, obsessive fear caught in his head, and there's no compulsion that can alleviate this obsession. He has Clara fly the TARDIS, and it finds situations that approximate that obsessive fear as filtered through Clara's thoughts, which, at the time, revolve around Danny.

I don't know, maybe I should wait until I rewatch it before I try to defend it at all. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You should probably rewatch a lot of things before going off about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

You should probably rewatch a lot of things before going off about them.

I can only assume you're talking about the episode we disagree on, which I rewatched less than a week ago.

e: actually, it was probably 2 weeks, now that I think about it, but still.

• Locked thread