Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

quote:

the outer suburbs and exurbs, smaller cities and towns and rural areas of America’s vast red interior.

losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

loquacius posted:

Do they have to be the same kind of donut

Calibanibal posted:

well yeah otherwise it wouldnt fit...

this hole...it was meant for me

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

the founder of the New Democrats is launching an new political movement

it's called New Democracy

no, I'm not making that up

it's a "radically pragmatic" movement based around "expanding the party" and "building a strong coalition"

the organization will be a combo thinktank/superPAC that will support "pragmatic" candidates in "Middle America" "places Democrats have been losing"

yes, I said "pragmatic" twice. that word is all over their loving site

seriously just look at this poo poo

At any point do they explain why they think this is a new strategy in some way, or why it'll work

Like, they throw out phrases like "Having sleepwalked into minority party status, Democrats can’t win simply by “energizing” a base that’s not big enough" which is correct, I'm just not getting how third-waying even harder than we have been for 25 years is the answer

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

loquacius posted:

Do they have to be the same kind of donut

technically no, but out-marriage is racism

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

this hole...it was meant for me

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"problem solving pragmatism"

yeah the problem is nobody has any money

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

loquacius posted:

At any point do they explain why they think this is a new strategy in some way, or why it'll work

Like, they throw out phrases like "Having sleepwalked into minority party status, Democrats can’t win simply by “energizing” a base that’s not big enough" which is correct, I'm just not getting how third-waying even harder than we have been for 25 years is the answer

their explanation is "it worked in the 90s, but after 2000 the party went too far to the left and alienated all those moderates we needed to win, causing the party to undergo a deep-rooted collapse that was masked by Obama's successes"

reading between the lines, it seems like their explanation for 2016 is that Hillary lost because she was too far-left, possibly due to "ideologues" and "interest groups" that pushed her toward a "left-wing orthodoxy" and didn't leave her "room to maneuver"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

their explanation is "it worked in the 90s, but after 2000 the party went too far to the left and alienated all those moderates we needed to win, causing the party to undergo a deep-rooted collapse that was masked by Obama's successes"

reading between the lines, it seems like their explanation for 2016 is that Hillary lost because she was too far-left, possibly due to "ideologues" and "interest groups" that pushed her toward a "left-wing orthodoxy" and didn't leave her "room to maneuver"

what world do they live in and can I move there

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

:yum:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

so i know there's some mixture of deceit and insanity in concocting a synopsis like that but, it's hard to believe there isn't some kind of pathological psychosis embedded in the upper ranks of the party

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Haha a tv pitchman trying to appear blue collar. It worked for Duck Dynasty so why not.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

owns

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

loquacius posted:

what world do they live in and can I move there

they lay out a simple four-part platform that they think the Dems should follow:

1) "transcend [...] class and cultural divisions" - stop talking about race and class, abandon social issues altogether, "take seriously" rural concerns about immigration bringing in crime and diluting America's national character

2) "reclaim economic hope and progress" - spur economic growth and innovation by lowering taxes, deregulating everything, free trade, and pouring lots of public money into corporate welfare. come up with a way to "upskill" workers without sending them to college. and, to quote their site verbatim: "Rather than centering on economic victimhood and business-bashing, our narrative should inspire confidence in power of a free people to innovate, reinvent their economy and adopt progressive policies to equip everyone to get ahead in the knowledge age."

3) "restore trust in government" - deregulate everything, remove bureaucratic obstacles to business innovation, put as much power and policy in the hands of state and local governments as possible. infrastructure should be built by public-private partnerships, not federal dollars. "empower" poor people with technology, and embrace a "new, 21st Century model for public schools" (i.e., charter schools)

4) "Close the security gap" - Dems are too weak and soft on terror and national security. they should increase military funding, demonstrate the strength of our armed forces at every opportunity, and "give no quarter to Islamist terrorists"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh that explains it

They're trying to literally make the Dems into the GOP

good luck with that

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
So the republican program.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Main Paineframe posted:

they lay out a simple four-part platform that they think the Dems should follow:

1) "transcend [...] class and cultural divisions" - stop talking about race and class, abandon social issues altogether, "take seriously" rural concerns about immigration bringing in crime and diluting America's national character

2) "reclaim economic hope and progress" - spur economic growth and innovation by lowering taxes, deregulating everything, free trade, and pouring lots of public money into corporate welfare. come up with a way to "upskill" workers without sending them to college. and, to quote their site verbatim: "Rather than centering on economic victimhood and business-bashing, our narrative should inspire confidence in power of a free people to innovate, reinvent their economy and adopt progressive policies to equip everyone to get ahead in the knowledge age."

3) "restore trust in government" - deregulate everything, remove bureaucratic obstacles to business innovation, put as much power and policy in the hands of state and local governments as possible. infrastructure should be built by public-private partnerships, not federal dollars. "empower" poor people with technology, and embrace a "new, 21st Century model for public schools" (i.e., charter schools)

4) "Close the security gap" - Dems are too weak and soft on terror and national security. they should increase military funding, demonstrate the strength of our armed forces at every opportunity, and "give no quarter to Islamist terrorists"

"We gotta get more racist"

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Their plan is to beat the GOP to the punch on going full fascist.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Iron Twinkie posted:

Their plan is to beat the GOP to the punch on going full fascist.

our fascism comes with free donuts

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

loquacius posted:

Nah it's wrong because they lose because their voters aren't energized

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Basically they saw the 2016 DNC and asked themselves how to make it even more militaristic.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Main Paineframe posted:

Lol they just aren't moving to the right, they are trying to ATTACK the repubs from the right. At least the GOP throws in some populist sounding rhetoric on their shitshow.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

so where do they live and how close is it to a bottomless pit

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

the founder of the New Democrats is launching an new political movement

it's called New Democracy

no, I'm not making that up

it's a "radically pragmatic" movement based around "expanding the party" and "building a strong coalition"

the organization will be a combo thinktank/superPAC that will support "pragmatic" candidates in "Middle America" "places Democrats have been losing"

yes, I said "pragmatic" twice. that word is all over their loving site

seriously just look at this poo poo

I'm almost too horrified to ask, but is there a link to that? Do they think that folks like Hillary and John Kerry, or for that matter Mitt Romney lost because they were not pragmatic enough?

Seriously, when will they stop doing focus groups to come up with the exact wording that most appeals to their concept of "Middle America"? I can tell you what Middle America wants. They want jobs. They want the opportunity to work hard. They don't want to hear about how some government program will benefit them.

Democrats need to compete at every level right down to school board and dog catcher and run men and women who are comfortable in their own skin and can talk about big ideas that are easy to understand. Bernie gets it. Do talk about a "$15hr minimum wage". Don't say the minimum wage is too low but $15 isn't practical either so lets tie it to this formula that spits out a number that gets you to 110% of the poverty level for a family of 4 based on the region they live and index it to inflation and post it on your website with your other 50 policy ideas.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

There's no Third Way like the original.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I never really realized how much of a drat guido Mussolini was

why did anyone follow this dork

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's no Third Way like the original.

their snake oil only works when it has a good salesman

bill and obama are charismatic as gently caress

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

anime was right posted:

Clinton and Obama had lame centrist platforms and sold out the working class, but they weren't trying to explicitly emulate Italian fascism.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

kinda looks like cernovich now that i think about it

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Holy poo poo source

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Clinton and Obama had lame centrist platforms and sold out the working class, but they weren't trying to explicitly emulate Italian fascism.

no they just provided great cover for the Republicans to do it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I'm almost too horrified to ask, but is there a link to that? Do they think that folks like Hillary and John Kerry, or for that matter Mitt Romney lost because they were not pragmatic enough?

Sure: http://newdemocracy.net/about/

They don't go into detail about past losses, but given that they blame the Democratic decline on the party drifting too far left, getting too caught up in coastal elite thinking, and losing touch with the moderates and independents of real America? It's likely they do think that Kerry was too far left. Remember, the guy behind this is one of the original founders of the New Democrats, a DLC creature who's been saying since the late 80s that the Dems need to move right. He's also one of the architects behind the moderate attempt to redefine "progressive", as he's been the head of the Progressive Policy Institute (a DLC-affiliated centrist thinktank) since it was founded in 1989.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

The flaw of our Democratic parties past was that we offered our voters an illusion. The illusion of hope. The illusion of safety. No more. I say that if a man is strong enough to take your life, it belongs to him. If a man is strong enough to take from you, that property is his. To those suffering in poverty and brutalized by your government, I say it is you that must take ownership of your failings. People should know when they are conquered, when they are beaten.

To the enemies of America, who say that it must change, I say we know who you are and you will be brought to justice. There is nothing wrong with America as it exists as a country. What is wrong is that America allows other countries to exist. But know, know that there is no problem we can not solve, no enemy we can not destroy with the beauty and splendor of our weapons.

Zod 2020!

Iron Twinkie has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Aug 10, 2017

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/JucheMane/status/895742163971002370

tfw berniebros are e-assaulting me with corncobs

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Scent of Worf posted:

https://twitter.com/JucheMane/status/895742163971002370

tfw berniebros are e-assaulting me with corncobs

im being rapped

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

anime was right posted:

Also you can't go back to the same town you've scammed before

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

anime was right posted:

im being rapped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9rFSI7UAww

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

This is literally Obama's presidency tho :psyduck:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
It's great that the plan is going to be double down on imperial reaction until enough of the US population is primed for full on fascism.

• Locked thread