Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That's one upside of unpainted 1/72 soft plastics. Done? Sweep 'em into a box, they'll be fine however they land in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Phi230 posted:

How do you guys store your armies. Not for transport but just like around

Using the amazing technology of shelves.

I used to have a bunch of plastic boxes that I made my mans stand in and then gently stacked on top of each other, which is a good method if you are low on shelfspace. So long as you are careful when handling the boxes you can just leave the models freestanding inside them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I use pluck foam tray bags. Some guys like metal washers under bases and a simple magnetic tray.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Phi230 posted:

Tons of clear plastic stackable boxes from Wal-Mart. You can store an insane amount of stuff in any area that way.

Most of my decently painted stuff I keep in a jewelry transport case that I added magnetic bottoms to from https://www.gemsondisplay.com

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

muggins posted:

It seems very daunting. I like black powder but it's also very simple and not a very good simulation like you said. It's also designed for massive tables. I'd really like to try GDA or PC.

Both TFL and a fan have done some videos on YouTube about GdA, which might give you an idea about whether or not it's something for you. https://youtu.be/hXg_6S8ESg4

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just play on the floor like our great grog ancestors

Even play outside! The terrain is real!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Fish and Chimps posted:

Both TFL and a fan have done some videos on YouTube about GdA, which might give you an idea about whether or not it's something for you. https://youtu.be/hXg_6S8ESg4

Yep I have them queued up, bought the rules too. GDA is a bit out since I don't have stuff painted by PC is doable.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Phi230 posted:

I have plastic bins (for scrap-booking, I think?) that I've put adhesive-backed magnetic sheet into. All my dudes are based on steel washers (28mm) or little sheet metal squares (15mm). It's pretty drat solid.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Phi230 posted:

On a bookshelf.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Currently, my miniatures are just conquering every horizontal surface around. Luckily for me, my cat doesn't subscribe to the idea of pushing poo poo down from ledges, and we have made her too fat to jump on there anyways. Girlfriend is currently the bigger threat.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Phi230 posted:

At home I have minis that are either for periods I'm not playing now, or are unpainted. Those are in various boxes depending on scale. I have one big and one small KR multicase for transportation of painted minis, mostly to carry them to the club. At the club I keep my minis on trays I bought at IKEA in a large cupboard, which makes it easy to take out an army and put it back.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
For my rarely used 28 mm I have a KR case. For my (now also rarely used) FoW models I have a Battlefoam bag, which I bought before finding out the owner is an absolute shitbag. For my 15 mm CoC models and Napoleonics I have a display cabinet in the corner of the living room.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there a good Age of Sail miniature game?

Here's a battlereport post I made in this very thread!

Right now, though, the starter kit is out of stock. It looks like Ares Games just did a reprint (their website says July 2017) so I would expect it to show up in stock in places soon.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Speaking of painting large armies in 28mm:

I used to find myself unable to paint mroe than 10 minis at a time. Painting armies in general felt pretty much impossible. Now I'm starting up my next batch, and I'm up to painting 40+ minis per batch, including cavalry. It's insane, but I think this is the path that you should take if you are looking at playing a game like BP in 28mm.

Just that initial green layer on the chasseur-a-cheval took maybe an hour or so.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Phi230 posted:

Boxes, shelves, trays... Wherever they fit, really.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Problem is I'm very short on space so the stacking boxes sounds rad. Maybe get some shelves in the future.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Problem is I'm very short on space so the stacking boxes sounds rad. Maybe get some shelves in the future.

You want to find boxes that are just as tall as your minis, so you don't waste a lot of space. I have boxes that are meant to store paper, like 2-3 inched tall, they're very efficient.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Shipping boxes from WLG work pretty well for all my unpainted stuff :shepface:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'm writing on a campaign setting for SP2 with new army lists, some special rules etc. for the campaign (Russia 1812). I'm almost finished with the first draft, but I realized that I haven't written that much about the actual historical context of the campaign.

If you were to pick up such a campaign setting for one of your games, would you expect there to be a brief historical background? Or would that be a waste of space, as you'd be up to speed with the basic history of the war if you are interested enough to get a campaign booklet (or one click away from the Wikipedia article)?

e: there are some comments and descriptions for the armies and various types of units in the army list, but I haven't written the background of why Napoleon invaded Russia in the first place, or a brief timeline of the campaign. Those kind of things.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 10, 2017

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'd expect a brief historical overview and probably some little historical tidbits in the scenario descriptions.

But then my favourite videogame manual was the Close Combat 2 massive tome with its complete history of Operation Market Garden. :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fish and Chimps posted:

Travel Battle is indeed very very simple, but a really cool concept for holidays or if you (say) have a baby.

It's been a hot minute since this post, but I think it's the most recent mention of Travel Battle in this thread.

How simple is "very very simple"? I've not been able to find a single AAR or anything for this game online, but it really appeals to me for some reason as a complete-experience-in-a-box to maybe see if historicals are up my alley.

Are there any other games like this (preferably not in 28mm) that sorta scratch that "buy this one thing and then you're all set for two players" itch?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Drone posted:

Are there any other games like this (preferably not in 28mm) that sorta scratch that "buy this one thing and then you're all set for two players" itch?

Command & Colors? At least Memoirs 44 and the samurai versions come with minis. The napoleonic and ancient ones have wooden cubes IIRC, but could be replaced with minis.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 10, 2017

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

It's been a hot minute since this post, but I think it's the most recent mention of Travel Battle in this thread.

How simple is "very very simple"? I've not been able to find a single AAR or anything for this game online, but it really appeals to me for some reason as a complete-experience-in-a-box to maybe see if historicals are up my alley.

It's so simple that it doesn't really lend itself well to AAR's. They'd be really boring to read. If you want, I can take a pic of a page of the rules to show you how simple they are. I'm kind of regretting my purchase since I've only played it once and didn't really find it very fun.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's real! Not just a joke.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's not just historicals. The x-wing minis fb group has a ton of posts about getting the correct grey or blue for the ships. It has to be historically movie accurate! My immersion!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ninja Division is apparently doing chibi WW2, which is a neat idea - but I don't know who it's meant to appeal to.

They'd be fun for demos if that platoon was $20-30, but priced comparable to Warlord and look like toys?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

If it were some kind of mobile game or even a cheap Steam thing, I could see it. Actual models?

No.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I don't like how the helmets cover the eyes on everyone. I mean I'm not the target audience of wehraboo who is also a weeaboo but I would still think if you're going to do something like that it should have more character to it.

Hey I glued the treads on my sherman badly with zap-a-gap, is there a way to fix it without sending everything to melt disney world?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fish and Chimps posted:

It's so simple that it doesn't really lend itself well to AAR's. They'd be really boring to read. If you want, I can take a pic of a page of the rules to show you how simple they are. I'm kind of regretting my purchase since I've only played it once and didn't really find it very fun.

Welp, that sucks a little. The big appeal was that it had like everything in a single box, including the terrain, for a good price. :(

Maybe I'll just look at starter boxes for something else instead to fulfill the same want. Or a couple cheap 6mm armies from Baccus and make my own little travel box or something.

Edit: is 10mm also as cheap as 6mm seems to be? :stare: And is Black Powder do-able/enjoyable at 6mm, or is 15mm gonna be the smallest I could probably stretch it?

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 10, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Hey I glued the treads on my sherman badly with zap-a-gap, is there a way to fix it without sending everything to melt disney world?
If you put it in the freezer for a few hours, that might make the superglue brittle enough that you'll be able to break it with fairly gentle pressure. I've had success with that before.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

moths posted:

Ninja Division is apparently doing chibi WW2, which is a neat idea - but I don't know who it's meant to appeal to.

They'd be fun for demos if that platoon was $20-30, but priced comparable to Warlord and look like toys?

:wtf: I mean I guess you could buy Krosmaster figures and have them kinda look like chibi girls und panzer, but there isn't even one with a finger under its helmet with an eye poking out.

If they were cheaper, it would be a pretty fun thing to paint Advance Wars style.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Only 3mm is cheaper.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

moths posted:

People who want to cause enraged shaking from Bolt Action opponents and observers in this group

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 10, 2017

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I mean I'm not the target audience of wehraboo who is also a weeaboo but I would still thinkif you're going to do something like that it should have more character to it.
You have to remember that the target audience you describe is not known for their refined tastes.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

lilljonas posted:

I'm writing on a campaign setting for SP2 with new army lists, some special rules etc. for the campaign (Russia 1812). I'm almost finished with the first draft, but I realized that I haven't written that much about the actual historical context of the campaign.

If you were to pick up such a campaign setting for one of your games, would you expect there to be a brief historical background? Or would that be a waste of space, as you'd be up to speed with the basic history of the war if you are interested enough to get a campaign booklet (or one click away from the Wikipedia article)?

e: there are some comments and descriptions for the armies and various types of units in the army list, but I haven't written the background of why Napoleon invaded Russia in the first place, or a brief timeline of the campaign. Those kind of things.

I'm actually wiring a programmed acw campaign for sp2 (to hopefully be published in a tfl special, you should too!) and I included about a page of history and local setting stuff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Having painted 500pts forces of Italian Paras and British Infantry, I accidentally gained the capability to play Five Men in Normandy/At Kursk, especially when.it has an SP component.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

I'm actually wiring a programmed acw campaign for sp2 (to hopefully be published in a tfl special, you should too!) and I included about a page of history and local setting stuff.

Nice! Did you get in touch with TFL directly?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Welp, that sucks a little. The big appeal was that it had like everything in a single box, including the terrain, for a good price. :(

Maybe I'll just look at starter boxes for something else instead to fulfill the same want. Or a couple cheap 6mm armies from Baccus and make my own little travel box or something.

Edit: is 10mm also as cheap as 6mm seems to be? :stare: And is Black Powder do-able/enjoyable at 6mm, or is 15mm gonna be the smallest I could probably stretch it?

You can do BP in whatever scale you like. All you need to do is change the ranges and move distances to fit.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
6mm is so cheap that it gives me crazy ideas.

Hmmm it wouldn't be too much to play out the Battle of Prague with the Prussians vs. the Austrians, even if I have to do it solo because I don't know anyone who plays SYW stuff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Nice! Did you get in touch with TFL directly?

Yep I emailed Richard Clarke and he said it would be cool to put it in there. I think they take submissions of all kinds although I did have his email from interviewing him on our podcast.