Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
ACC Teams as cars...

https://twitter.com/VictoryCB/status/895662261796196352

http://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/acc-football-teams-vehicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Coco13 posted:

Wisconsin linebacker Jack Cichy, who got 3 sacks in the Holiday Bowl against USC on consecutive snaps is out for the year with a torn ACL AND I HATE EVERYTHING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN2NPCmlL9s

:negative:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

:lol: @ BC being a bumper car

Oh hey BC Bumper Car

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

vyst posted:

I have a much bigger problem with the NCAA as an institution than the schools that are members of it when it comes to fairness to players quality of life

The NCAA as an institution IS the schools that are members of it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Joey Freshwater posted:

:lol: @ BC being a bumper car

Oh hey BC Bumper Car

I just caught that...

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FSU has a pretty nice F150

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm going to the UGA/ND game in South Bend on 9/8 on party buses from Chicago. A friend of mine organizes it and there's 34 coach buses of people going, the majority of them are from Atlanta.

Anyway I didn't get tickets to the game because they're like $1k and gently caress that. I've heard South Bend sucks but does anyone know what the 'good' bars are to go to during the game?

South Bend itself seems pretty boring and like it'd be lovely to live in but the campus is genuinely really cool to walk around if you're visiting. Don't have any good bar recs though, sorry

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
$1k for tickets seems crazy for a non-Bowl game, I imagine you may be able to snag some from a scalper or on StubHub for less if you keep an eye out.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They were like $600 two weeks ago. I'll try the scalper route but neither one being my team I'd be hard pressed to pay more than $2-300 for them.

"There's not enough money to pay the players!"

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Leach doesn't get a check mark?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

General Dog posted:

The NCAA as an institution IS the schools that are members of it.

Schools are members that are beholden to whatever retarded governance is instituted was my intention

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

After 32 years, Dave South is retiring as A&M's football and basketball radio play-by-play at the end of the 2017-18 season. There could not be a better voice for Aggie sports, and he will be deeply missed.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

General Dog posted:

After 32 years, Dave South is retiring as A&M's football and basketball radio play-by-play at the end of the 2017-18 season. There could not be a better voice for Aggie sports, and he will be deeply missed.

Aw man that sucks. Been hearing his voice in car rides narrating Aggie games as long as I can remember :(

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

If ESPN really wanted to cut costs they should just fire all commentators and pipe in each school's radio crew as the game goes on.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Chieves posted:

If ESPN really wanted to cut costs they should just fire all commentators and pipe in each school's radio crew as the game goes on.

This would double their ratings too

Eli Gold forever

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ohtsam posted:

Aw man that sucks. Been hearing his voice in car rides narrating Aggie games as long as I can remember :(

Yeah, not having cable until I was well into high school, the radio broadcasts were how I followed games probably 60% of the time for the first 4 or 5 seasons I followed the team.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dphi posted:

Leach doesn't get a check mark?

You have to apply for it I think. He may not give a poo poo

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
My favorite radio call I ever heard was Stanford @ Notre Dame in 2012. I was on my way home and found the Stanford radio call on TuneIn Radio, and it was actual Stanford students calling the game. It was easily the most homerrific call I've ever heard, and they were extremely unhappy with the game. All radio broadcasters are better than all TV broadcasters, it's just the truth.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have absolutely 0 problem with people employed by an organization to do radio broadcasts for that org being complete homers.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I love most radio broadcasts, but SC's play by play dude sounds like a professional wrestler and it drives me nuts.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

iospace posted:

I have absolutely 0 problem with people employed by an organization to do radio broadcasts for that org being complete homers.

100% agree, I was saying that as a good thing

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Iowa's guys sound like they're drunk half the time, which is good

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
You know, I actually support this whole school radio thing. They could swap crews based on either who is winning or who is on offense. ESPN would have to license the calls from the schools, too, which will be cheaper than their own announcers but also provide more cash for the schools themselves.

A lot of regional basketball games wind up being the home team's radio crew, which isn't bad (when your team is at home)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
What in the immediate fu

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...f89582f985.html

quote:

Steve Pederson, the infamous former Nebraska athletic director, has now entered the world of literature.

Pederson released a novel on Aug. 1 titled "Lost in Ambition," which tells the story of a young college football coach that compromises "his morals, his family and his upbringing" to rise up the coaching profession. You can purchase the paperback version on Amazon for $12.99.

"Written from the perspective of a former Division I Athletic Director, 'Lost In Ambition' will take you on an inside look as one coach and his family embark on a quest for the ultimate prize," reads the book summary.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone had to beat Nutt to the punch here.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

LeeMajors posted:

I love most radio broadcasts, but SC's play by play dude sounds like a professional wrestler and it drives me nuts.

This sounds great

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Dave South was always good for some grade A aggies schadenfreude while the Longhorns have been terrible. Listening to the silence over the radio as the other team scores a touchdown was amazing. I'm gonna miss the guy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Early reviews are in, and the erotic passages are sexy as hell.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Sean Gentille from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette read it

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2017/08/10/steve-pederson-book-pitt-athletic-director/stories/201708100113

quote:

“‘After I drop you off, I am heading to get my wife Cyndy. I am anxious for you to meet her and she is excited to meet you all. The place we are going for dinner is Tony Roma’s. You like ribs?’ I ask, already knowing the answer. ‘Yes sir,’ Zeke says. ‘They are my favorite. I haven’t been to Tony Roma’s, but I have heard they are the best.’”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Coach listened to his father pause over the cell phone- "Son, I believe this choice represents a crossroads- in your coaching career, and also in your spiritual life. Think about it, pray on it, I know you'll make the right decision. Mother is calling now, I'll talk to you soon."

Coach pondered his father's words as he took a sip of his value-sized Arby's Jamocha Shake.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

General Dog posted:

Early reviews are in, and the erotic passages are sexy as hell.

Erotic Smashmouth?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I wish I could get the ghost of Larry Munson to call all of UGA's games

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

And here I wish that Jim Ross would commentate every game.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

the mean lunch lady posted:

This sounds great

It does. It isn't.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

Iowa's guys sound like they're drunk half the time, which is good

"Sound like"

I have seen both out on the town and been in the pressbox for a game, they're both actually hammered. The color guy, Ed Podalak, actually manages to still be kinda okay at his job, so it's kinda charming in his case. The play by play guy, Gary Dolphin, is loving awful (and manages to somehow be even worse at basketball)

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

iospace posted:

This is especially true for international soccer. The homerier, the better.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Holy poo poo.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm going to the UGA/ND game in South Bend on 9/8 on party buses from Chicago. A friend of mine organizes it and there's 34 coach buses of people going, the majority of them are from Atlanta.

Anyway I didn't get tickets to the game because they're like $1k and gently caress that. I've heard South Bend sucks but does anyone know what the 'good' bars are to go to during the game?

Having grown up ~30 miles from South Bend, I can confirm it sucks, especially on game day. You'll be surrounded by bandwagon rear end in a top hat ND fans who will stop watching the minute they can't compete for a national championship they feel entitled to play for every year.

The campus is beautiful in a striking contrast to the fans and alums attitudes towards the visiting team*.

*May only apply to Purdue, Michigan, and Michigan State.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Fox Soccer Channel used to have a show called fanzone where a fan from each team would get to be a commentator for the game. Those were usually far more entertaining then the real broadcast of the game and more sports should embrace this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Neil Armbong posted:

Fox Soccer Channel used to have a show called fanzone where a fan from each team would get to be a commentator for the game. Those were usually far more entertaining then the real broadcast of the game and more sports should embrace this.

I'm hoping we'll get all kinds of alternate audio/commentating options with the upcoming ESPN streaming service.

• Locked thread