Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I called the feds

:siren: :siren:

My guy at the Civil Aerospace Medical Institute (CAMI FAA) told me that they didn't have a database to keep track of any of that data, but that he might have a colleague in another department that might know.

Of all the things the FAA keeps track of, I would have thought checkrides or certificates issued under 61 and 141 would have been one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ExpressJet just dumped Delta: https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/expressjet-to-end-delta-connection-flights/

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Something tells me that either my company is going to announce a new domicile in Atlanta, or that they're going to shut down XJT for good...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Flight attendant, no. Gay pilot, yes.
Bad idea, would not recommend.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

Of all the things the FAA keeps track of, I would have thought checkrides or certificates issued under 61 and 141 would have been one of them.

Oh, my sweet summer child.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Butt Reactor posted:

Something tells me that either my company is going to announce a new domicile in Atlanta, or that they're going to shut down XJT for good...

Didn't Endeavor just open one?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

AWSEFT posted:

Didn't Endeavor just open one?

Yup. Opened it with 200s a few months ago, and just yesterday the official announcement was made that we're putting 900s there, largely from the 31 of them we're getting from XJ. Even though it was widely believed already.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

The Slaughter posted:

Lemme guess. The two of you hooked up and then he talked about work for loving ever.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
LIVIN' THE DREAM

YEEEEEEEEAP!

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

vessbot posted:

Yup. Opened it with 200s a few months ago, and just yesterday the official announcement was made that we're putting 900s there, largely from the 31 of them we're getting from XJ. Even though it was widely believed already.

I worked there when they opened the -900 base in ATL the first time. We'd fly thru there occasionally, ASA hated us, Delta hated us. Most of our pilots didn't like flying thru ATL, I didn't mind it. Great flow, nobody stops.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hey pilots, particularly 121/135 guys: How often do you guy go listen to Airmets/Sigmets/Convective Sigmets after a controller reads the notification on frequency?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Literally never

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

Literally never

I kinda figured. We just got a pretty amusing briefing item about the extreme turbulence event a few days ago, and it hits the FAA management favorites: Incident aircraft didn't hear the Airmets being issued, controller didn't solicit/disseminate pireps, etc etc.. All the normal box checking to make sure they don't get sued (as much,) but with very little to no actual effort to actually solve the problem.

I only ask because our facility is on a "did you call the weather/ask for pireps" crusade, which is amusing since I can't remember the last time I wasn't pointing airplanes at four mile gaps between extreme cells. It's related to a change in our duty priority; We are now obligated to issue weather information at the same priority as separation of aircraft.

FAA management is silent on the topic of exactly how we're supposed to do that when it gets busy, however.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's simple. Just use precious air time to broadcast a streamlined messa......

quote:

EXAMPLE−
1. “Area of extreme precipitation between eleven o’clock
and one o’clock, one zero miles moving east at two zero
knots, tops flight level three niner zero.”
2. “Area of heavy precipitation between ten o’clock and
two o’clock, one five miles. Area is two five miles in
diameter.”

PHRASEOLOGY−
ATTENTION ALL AIRCRAFT. HAZARDOUS WEATHER
INFORMATION (SIGMET, Convective SIGMET,
AIRMET, Urgent Pilot Weather Report (UUA), or Center
Weather Advisory (CWA), Number or Numbers) FOR
(geographical area) AVAILABLE ON HIWAS OR FLIGHT
SERVICE FREQUENCIES.

A Pilot posted:

Say Again

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A Pilot posted:

Say again

This is not an empty quote.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Plus we also have ADS-B in on our company iPads so we can just look at those for all of that stuff.

e: also do the same for NOTAMs, check them before I leave and get any updates via ADS-B, my legs are usually 0.8-1.0 flight time and I have better things to do than get ahold of FSS so they can tell me about that 300ft unlit tower 15 miles from the airport

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 11, 2017

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

MrYenko posted:

Hey pilots, particularly 121/135 guys: How often do you guy go listen to Airmets/Sigmets/Convective Sigmets after a controller reads the notification on frequency?

Once... in ten years... If there's that much crap going on then there's too much time to waste with someone being isolated for 5 minutes of drivel with 30 seconds of nugget spoken at unintelligible excessive speed... if it ain't available over ACARS/CPDLC then hell we ain't going to read it as it won't be in intelligible easy to read (and quick to read) format.. Weather radar, MkI Eyeball and terminal updates win.

You only do it once because, lets face it, Florida in the summer is just a gently caress up.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

e.pilot posted:

Plus we also have ADS-B in on our company iPads so we can just look at those for all of that stuff.

e: also do the same for NOTAMs, check them before I leave and get any updates via ADS-B, my legs are usually 0.8-1.0 flight time and I have better things to do than get ahold of FSS so they can tell me about that 300ft unlit tower 15 miles from the airport

I can see the NTSB report now...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Ferret King posted:

It's simple. Just use precious air time to broadcast a streamlined messa......

Ahhhhhh...memories of flying a 152 in an afternoon time slot and hearing this almost daily on Dayton Approach. :3:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Gives me a good opportunity to practice my auctioneer voice

Then they decommissioned Flight Watch so I had to unlearn that block of phraseology.

".....available on HIWAS, Flight Wa.....Ssssservice frequencies."

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yesterday departing SLC was legit scary. This guy was working a huuuuge sector of airspace and seemed borderline incompetent, probably just was overworked with everybody deviating but wasn't listening to us or anybody, freq was too busy, and lightning flashing all around us as he kept trying to send us into it every time we managed to get a non blocked transmission in.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
NextGen will eliminate that

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

NextGen will eliminate that

Metroplex, too.

:ironicat:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Practiced ascending and descending turns today in the 152. I got pretty airsick towards the end and we had to cut it short about 20mins early, my instructor landed us as I wasn't feeling well. :( I hope that feeling doesn't turn into a big barrier for training and I can learn to control it.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
He was def on diff freqs and kept saying he was on the landline so that didn't help things certainly tho he kept using wrong callsigns for people and sure didn't seem to be listening to us at all. I'm sure staffing was an issue, it had been relatively chill in SLC even an hour before and then stuff just popped up everywhere and gusty winds turned the airport around just before we departed, we were definitely still in that "stuff is popping up everywhere" phase and the guy really needed a few more people to jump on and take over his other freqs or whatnot...

Whatever, I'll deviate and whenever we can get you to listen you'll know what the plan is, guy. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six... weather is less stressful for us when ATC is a good resource and not... whatever that was.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I took one of my friends out flying the other night. He said he used to be afraid of flying, but he's not anymore. If what I saw was "not" I can only imagine the sort of existential terror that gripped him while flying before...

There wasn't even turbulence. He was getting freaked out at minor changes in pitch. So yeah, that was not a particularly fun flight for either of us.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

The Slaughter posted:

General rule #1: Never stick your dick in crazy
Aviation rule #1: Anyone who becomes a professional aviator is at a minimum 1/3rd crazy

MrYenko posted:

It's related to a change in our duty priority; We are now obligated to issue weather information at the same priority as separation of aircraft.

Sounds about right. Flying into the side of a fully developed thunderstorm generally ends with the same result as flying into the side of another airplane.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

Sounds about right. Flying into the side of a fully developed thunderstorm generally ends with the same result as flying into the side of another airplane.

We're not required to keep you out of the weather (any more than we were before,) we're obligated to issue the weather, even when you're loving staring at it, just asked me for deviations around it, and we have seventeen other things to do. Its idiotic.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

The Slaughter posted:

Salt Lake shenanigans

I got caught in that too, we were already at the end of the runway and then got taxiied to the other end :derp:

The controller antics in SLC has usually led me to close every threat briefing with a "watch out for Salt Lake doing Salt Lake things"

mkosmo
Jul 15, 2006

MrYenko posted:

We're not required to keep you out of the weather (any more than we were before,) we're obligated to issue the weather, even when you're loving staring at it, just asked me for deviations around it, and we have seventeen other things to do. Its idiotic.

At the same priority as separation it says? So... what happens when you have a conflict of priority? It seems like you shouldn't have two parallel things. Or do you just treat weather as if it was a traffic callout? lol

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
That action which is most important from a safety standpoint is preformed first.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Practiced ascending and descending turns today in the 152. I got pretty airsick towards the end and we had to cut it short about 20mins early, my instructor landed us as I wasn't feeling well. :( I hope that feeling doesn't turn into a big barrier for training and I can learn to control it.

How far along are you in training? I flew the 152 in private and, of the first 10 lessons or so, I wound up queasy on nearly all of them, though never actually sick. For me, it was the combination of heat, afternoon flying and the ensuing turbulence, and the concern about being sick being an issue.

Once I got about 10 lessons in, things got drastically better, almost as if someone flipped a light switch.

Chaindor
Dec 1, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Once I got about 10 lessons in, things got drastically better, almost as if someone flipped a light switch.

I would agree as a fresh 100hr PPL. At some point you start to look deeper into the step turn, or not be as panicked as you glance down at the altimeter during a turns around a point. Things seem to slow down as muscle memory takes over during maneuvers and that really helped my nausea.

Still with the right combination of heat, turbulence, and time I think it can rear its ugly head for anyone. I did ~3hr winter flight from Columbus to Grand Rapids due high headwinds that was super bumpy under a broken layer. Since it was so cold, and the 172 is sealed like a barn door, I had the heat pointed straight at my face. 20min from the end of the flight I was reaching for a garbage bag anticipating the worse, but shortly after that I got the field in sight and my nausea disappeared. For me it's as much of a mental aliment as a physical one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Chaindor posted:

I would agree as a fresh 100hr PPL. At some point you start to look deeper into the step turn, or not be as panicked as you glance down at the altimeter during a turns around a point. Things seem to slow down as muscle memory takes over during maneuvers and that really helped my nausea.

Still with the right combination of heat, turbulence, and time I think it can rear its ugly head for anyone. I did ~3hr winter flight from Columbus to Grand Rapids due high headwinds that was super bumpy under a broken layer. Since it was so cold, and the 172 is sealed like a barn door, I had the heat pointed straight at my face. 20min from the end of the flight I was reaching for a garbage bag anticipating the worse, but shortly after that I got the field in sight and my nausea disappeared. For me it's as much of a mental aliment as a physical one.

For me going in, my main, irrational but somewhat valid at the same time concern was airsickness. I could fly in the back of a 757 just fine (still can), but I had a nagging concern about performance maneuvers based on a backseat ride at ERAU when I was 13 which did not go well at all when we got to Steep Turns (I feel like we might've done stalls/spins, too). I also felt badly that the CFI and student I rode with had to contend with a backseater who took a nap in the back on the way back to DAB to (successfully) avoid puking, which translated to not wanting to feel like I was wasting my CFI's time by feeling like poo poo later in the flight (and I think we even adapted to this by doing Steep Turns/Stalls/Unusual Attitudes last). Everybody I flew with when I had problems was totally understanding.

Once I got into training myself, I didn't have as much trouble with Steep Turns because I kinda had fun with them, but drat if the Flying Kite didn't spin with relative ease (though that later became an incentive to learn how to recover properly as quickly as possible). Unusual Attitudes really aren't bad if you get a CFI who is gentle with the setup for the recovery, too. My initial CFI would jerk you around, but all the ones I had after would do them gently in part because they felt you'd actually get more disoriented with calm maneuvering. (Goon CFIs- agree or disagree?)

Still, 10-12 lessons in, the tendency to get queasy seemed to disappear like magic though, as you pointed out, get hit with a blast of exhaust during slow flight one day after already having done the solo XC that morning or have your CFI do Unusual Attitudes one too many times during checkride review and...yeah. Chalk it up to poo poo happens/anybody under any set of circumstances can have things go badly fast.

Other tips I'd offer from firsthand experience:
a) Keep expectations in check- this is a process and there's not always a reason to hammer through it. I had an ear infection at the start of Private and my goal was to have PPL by the end of the Summer, so we briefly doubled up my flights. In retrospect, it was a disaster. The morning flights were nice because the world was still, but I'd get anxious about the afternoon flight, combined with the factors mentioned in my previous post, and not exactly be perfect on the S, A, F, and maybe E in IMSAFE.
b) Do the best you can, but don't beat yourself up trying to be perfect. I was a bit of a dumbass at 17 and was trying to do my best on each lesson when really, as my instructor put it, "this is all practice".
c) Fly in the morning, if possible. Getting up early sucks, but the world is still in the morning and thermals don't tend to be an issue until 11am or Noon, which is why I took morning timeslots when I had to do a fuckton of time building for Instrument under Part 61 and building time to approach 250 for the later-aborted Commercial effort.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Unusual Attitudes really aren't bad if you get a CFI who is gentle with the setup for the recovery, too. My initial CFI would jerk you around, but all the ones I had after would do them gently in part because they felt you'd actually get more disoriented with calm maneuvering. (Goon CFIs- agree or disagree?)

This is a pretty interesting question. I think a gentle transition to disorientation is the most likely thing to happen in real life so you could argue that's the best way to do it in training. But in training you are deliberately not looking at anything at all, so it's already kind of a weird and unrealistic setup.

That said, my CFI was aggressive with it and I think it was a lot of fun for both of us that way (I don't have airsickness issues). :)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sleepy gary posted:

This is a pretty interesting question. I think a gentle transition to disorientation is the most likely thing to happen in real life so you could argue that's the best way to do it in training. But in training you are deliberately not looking at anything at all, so it's already kind of a weird and unrealistic setup.

That said, my CFI was aggressive with it and I think it was a lot of fun for both of us that way (I don't have airsickness issues). :)

I had one ex-RCAF instructor for my PPL. Doing unusual attitudes with him was fun. I didn't know a 172 could do those things!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I use unusual attitude recovery as an opportunity to practice my lazy eights. Gentle is best imo because you don't get the inner ear sensations and lends itself to a more realistic unusual attitude. Getting a plane in to a graveyard spiral while your student sits there thinking we're straight and level is just the best.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
6am check orals suck. On the plus side I'm pretty sure the examiner is so tired that's could tell him our fuel tanks hold 10,392lbs of bananas and he wouldn't notice.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

KodiakRS posted:

6am check orals suck. On the plus side I'm pretty sure the examiner is so tired that's could tell him our fuel tanks hold 10,392lbs of bananas and he wouldn't notice.

My CL-65 type ride was last week from 1am-6am...

On that note, I got a new job since I last posted. No more bombing around Northern Ontario in an MU2, I'll now be exploring the eastern United States from my YYZ base in the (relative) comfort of a CRJ200!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Hey I was in YYZ just today in a CRJ200. However I'm just far enough from my turboprop days to be a professional complainer of its discomforts.

Congrats!