Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Principle and the Pauper is actually one of the good season 9 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Principal*

and yep.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I posted a video a while back that analyzes why that episode is the turning point for the Simpsons. The video says that it's not a bad episode in itself, but it's where the Simpsons turns the corner from the golden era to the decline.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm trying to remember what episode has a scene where Homer is trying to rock/sing Maggie to sleep late at night, starts getting sleepy himself, and when he looks down Maggie's eyes are still wide open. I may just be imagining that this exists, but maybe this thread can help me!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

brugroffil posted:

I'm trying to remember what episode has a scene where Homer is trying to rock/sing Maggie to sleep late at night, starts getting sleepy himself, and when he looks down Maggie's eyes are still wide open. I may just be imagining that this exists, but maybe this thread can help me!
You're thinking of Homer Alone, here's that scene but in Spanish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yztb6-n2wY

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Stoner's Pot Palace

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Stoner's Pot Palace

Flagrant false advertising!

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The lowest point in the Simpson's was the moment after Krusty Grill happened because it was all down hill from there

sout
Apr 24, 2014

facebook jihad posted:

The lowest point in the Simpson's was the moment after Krusty Grill happened because it was all down hill from there

watch this lis, you can actually pinpoint the second when the show got bad

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The lowest point was when they won a Grammy for best hardcore thrash metal album, Simpsons Christmas Boogie. They just went too far.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Zeniel posted:

The lowest point was when they won a Grammy for best hardcore thrash metal album, Simpsons Christmas Boogie. They just went too far.

:what:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

It's not even thrash metal. It's more like disco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAjXm7Oc5Xg

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Zeniel posted:

It's not even thrash metal. It's more like disco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAjXm7Oc5Xg

Well, duh, everyone knows music achieved perfection in 1974.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
From a post-funny season but I lold:

Milhouse is looking for a new best friend, settles on Ralph

Milhouse: All right! Now I'll be the dominant one!
Ralph: Be quiet.
Milhouse: Yes sir.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

cool new Polack jokes posted:

From a post-funny season but I lold:

Milhouse is looking for a new best friend, settles on Ralph

Milhouse: All right! Now I'll be the dominant one!
Ralph: Be quiet.
Milhouse: Yes sir.

I'm ashamed for you.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Terrible

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I posted a video a while back that analyzes why that episode is the turning point for the Simpsons. The video says that it's not a bad episode in itself, but it's where the Simpsons turns the corner from the golden era to the decline.
i keep saying that if it switched places with Das Bus or the fake angel skeleton episode or a different wacky season 9 episode, then it wouldn't be looked at as the decline, and the episode that took its place would be instead

the one where bart goes on a sleepover to ralph's house is also a sign of decline because it made ralph go from "weird, dopey, but well-meaning kid" to "complete special ed caricature"

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm ashamed for you.

No. It's funny as gently caress to hear Ralph casually demand silence because his character is rightfully innocent and free of viciousness, but Milhouse's lameness transcends cause and effect to put him at the bottom in any relationship. Lame Milhouse jokes have never steered us wrong; Milhouse is gold. The later seasons hide lots of bits that pass as C-grade jokes from classic episodes.

Is the first Arsonist Ralph joke before or after the kid with Ralph's voice from the Hank Scorpio episode? You know, I START FIRES! Eventually Ralph just became that character. I never liked that they made him into a full-on voice-hearing dangerous retard.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cobweb Heart posted:

Is the first Arsonist Ralph joke before or after the kid with Ralph's voice from the Hank Scorpio episode? You know, I START FIRES! Eventually Ralph just became that character. I never liked that they made him into a full-on voice-hearing dangerous retard.
iirc the first instance was in the episode that i pointed out. i liked post-golden era ralph as a dumb teenager, but looking back, there's definitely an element of "let's all laugh at the retard" to his character evolution

ned flanders has the trope name, but ralph wiggum is the more egregious case

edit: i was listening to Dana Gould's podcast and he was talking about how the only character he created on The Simpsons was Patty and/or Selma's adopted Chinese daughter. he based it off of a baby picture of his oldest adopted Chinese daughter (he and his ex-wife have three). when Dana pointed that out to her, she responded, "i like Bob's Burgers better"

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

confirmed Simpsons is now that painfully uncool thing your parents are into

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Iron Crowned posted:

The episode those people were thinking of was the Stonecutter's episode.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The episode those people were thinking of was the Stonecutter's episode.
what the hell is wrong with you

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Season 9 is where the show took a steep nosedive. If you think it's anywhere else, you aren't remembering the seasons correctly. It just so happened that Principal and the Pauper was the second episode of season 9. And while season 9 was mostly still watchable, season 10 and 11 saw even further decline, and then anything 12 and beyond just kind of blends together as one giant, forgettable, bland mess with maybe 1-2 watchable episodes per season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

btw the adopted Patty and Selma child debuted in a season 15 episode, long after people stopped giving a poo poo about The Simpsons. Dana Gould came on a couple of seasons after it was irredeemable

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This is half a pretty good analysis of the styles of the different showrunners and half a look into all the madness you probably missed if you checked out long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCZSBiBcsw

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, the classic character of Patty or Selma's adopted daughter. Who could forget all the laughs she's brought us over the years?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Someone find me a clips of Otto's talking shoes from Homerpalooza that's not on Spanish thanks.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
There's a thread in PYF about shows that didn't hold up over time. I expected it to be mostly about 90s sitcoms and how could anyone ever think they were good, but no within a page it turned into a topic about how the simpsons was anti-trans because of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrCle0tteu8

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i was expecting that thread to deal with episode concepts that haven't aged well, but it's almost all about what's offensive now and wasn't back then. can't they just talk about how nobody sells beepers anymore and wonder what big bob in Hey Arnold is doing?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
^ Here's a tip. Everything is offensive now.

Irradiation posted:

There's a thread in PYF about shows that didn't hold up over time. I expected it to be mostly about 90s sitcoms and how could anyone ever think they were good, but no within a page it turned into a topic about how the simpsons was anti-trans because of this scene:

I read the first several pages and it's all just "Anything older than 2 years is racist, sexist, ableist, homophobic, etc etc etc etc"
Garbage thread

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

get that OUT of my face posted:

i was expecting that thread to deal with episode concepts that haven't aged well, but it's almost all about what's offensive now and wasn't back then. can't they just talk about how nobody sells beepers anymore and wonder what big bob in Hey Arnold is doing?

He probs sells cell phones. Miriam is of course still a total loving drunk, who can't work because then she just gets addicted to that instead. Helga cut contact with them years ago.

Seriously though did you ever hear how there's was supposed to be a Daria like spinoff about that family? I woulda watched

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Irradiation posted:

video title is right; you shouldn't ask any woman that, now or then

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's really annoying that people who work on the show complain about losing two minutes of run time compared to older episodes but then they split every episode into an A-plot a B-plot plus an unrelated first act.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

EnvyJ posted:

Gay jokes are still funny you PC idiot.

Nah

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

It's really annoying that people who work on the show complain about losing two minutes of run time compared to older episodes but then they split every episode into an A-plot a B-plot plus an unrelated first act.

They gave Rick and Morty a 2-minute couch gag.

Not that that was the wrong call, but all the stunt animation couch gags are real long and they've only been doing them more often and giving them more time lately.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
just stop watching after s9 hth

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PostNouveau posted:

They gave Rick and Morty a 2-minute couch gag.

Not that that was the wrong call, but all the stunt animation couch gags are real long and they've only been doing them more often and giving them more time lately.

I feel like at this point the Simpsons is basically doing 'hey you still watch this poo poo? Well you'll probably like this show better now'. With that crap.

Basically the Simpsons is the cartoon equivalent of the old wrestler/warrior who passed the torch to a younger generation.

Except then the wrestler/warrior continues to wrestle/war into oblivion

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
the john k couch gag sequence was so awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think Simpsons s9 through s11 are an interesting study in a descent into terribleness