Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

panascope posted:

You can read Black Legion on iBooks right now. I didn't care for it personally.

How was it compared to Talon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I really liked Talon, I thought this was significantly worse.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Bigly Raptors captain I finished today. I can't power swords, I had to cover my fancy glaze attempt with a metallic as it looked dire :v

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

richyp posted:

I'm a recent returnee. Can we get the old thread gang back together :downsrim:

For the love of god, please.

serious gaylord posted:

The sad fact is painting just doesnt excite me anymore.

It's cool to see you posting again, even if you suck now. Maybe one day you'll be cool enough to play with plastic space barbies again.

Pendent posted:

Whole lot of wrong opinions about Blood Angels in here. One of the core ideas of their fluff is that they are a chapter of artisans, many of whom work to make their armor and weapons particularly ornate and beautiful in an effort to control the Red Thirst. If you aren't ok with detailed miniatures then they are not the right chapter for you to play and there's really not any getting around that fact.

Old Blood Angels = Finely crafted armour, golden masks to cover facial injuries.

New Blood Angels = Stick a gaudy golden wing the size of a car door on any flat surface.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, my Warmachine buddy convinced me to give 40k a go. I have a skitarii army, and today we played. I think Warmachine is the better game, and was skeptical I'd enjoy it, but, I found that the randomness, rather than feeling like it took out skill, more somehow made it exciting and thrilling! The battles felt like a story, punctuated with exciting moments! He wiped out all but three of my vanguard turn one!!! I got a critical headshot and murdered his sorcerer!!! Bellessrius Cawl kept an Onager in rude health all game, then charged in and made 16 attacks in one combat!!! In a second game against primaris, my NEUTRON LASER blew up his GIANT invincible dreadnaught, who's nuclear cores erupted in a fiery cataclysm and took out half his army!!!! I got to keep saying "canticles of the Omnissiah"!!! It was all just really loving COOL. Game rules.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

!Klams posted:

So, my Warmachine buddy convinced me to give 40k a go. I have a skitarii army, and today we played. I think Warmachine is the better game, and was skeptical I'd enjoy it, but, I found that the randomness, rather than feeling like it took out skill, more somehow made it exciting and thrilling! The battles felt like a story, punctuated with exciting moments! He wiped out all but three of my vanguard turn one!!! I got a critical headshot and murdered his sorcerer!!! Bellessrius Cawl kept an Onager in rude health all game, then charged in and made 16 attacks in one combat!!! In a second game against primaris, my NEUTRON LASER blew up his GIANT invincible dreadnaught, who's nuclear cores erupted in a fiery cataclysm and took out half his army!!!! I got to keep saying "canticles of the Omnissiah"!!! It was all just really loving COOL. Game rules.

Welcome to 40k, enjoy your stay. May I interest you our lord and savior Nurgle? Seriously though goofy poo poo like that is why I love playing 40k. Like, a year ago my former roommate and I each got a different starter box(I had Necron, he had Skitarii) and threw 'em together for a quick game that afternoon. Turn one my Stalker evaporated his Dunecrawler, so we figured he could put it back with 1HP because of It Will Not Die. Then it happened again turn two. Then again turn four. The entire rest of my force was wiped out, but the battle became this weird grudge match between these two walkers and it was glorious.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I found that the IG grenade launcher works really well as an auxiliary launcher for Primaris Marines. Since it's free and Sergeants can get power swords my planned go-to Intercessor squad will be 104 points with the Sergeant carrying both the sword and launcher.

They cost 1 point, as of the current FAQ.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
While I wait for the Deathguard codex and models to drop I pulled the trigger on a Raven Guard successor chapter force full of sneaky gits. These are heavily still work in progress but you get the gist, also I was brave/stupid enough to hack up Cypher to combine him with a bigly in an attempt to make a sneaky captain :jihad:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteWolf123 posted:

They cost 1 point, as of the current FAQ.

105 points then. Did they FAQ that Sergeants couldn't carry them?

Where is the current FAQ?

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 11, 2017

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I've never seen this FAQ people keep talking up.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
If there are going to be new 40k Deathshroud I'm going to have to collect some Death Guard.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Where is the current FAQ?

raverrn posted:

I've never seen this FAQ people keep talking up.

Just came out today.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Your space mans came out phenomenal! Even with them being a WIP they look menacing AF, crazy good consistency between marines. The end product will surely be a sight!

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Quick question: thinking of using a flyer in my sisters army. Maybe. Between the Avenger, Valkyrie, Vulture, Marauder (in order of my favourites), I really can't decide which one to work on.

I guess I'm mostly interested in the "what looks cool", but with a short range sisters army (albeit supported by 3 exorcists), I'm wondering if instead I should try convincing myself the thunderbolt or lightning "look coolest" instead?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Rough Riders taking shape. These are rough, they are semi-monopose with shields molded into the body- so I had to remove each left arm/shield and re-sculpt the side of the horse-body-part.

From there, just finding enough chainswords and cutting tiny hands out of them took a while. Hopefully I'll have them painted in the next couple days.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Bigmar Cypher looks awesome, duder. I might recommend giving him a different backpack so he's not quite read as Cypher, but good swords are surprisingly hard to find.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Bigmar Cypher looks awesome, duder. I might recommend giving him a different backpack so he's not quite read as Cypher, but good swords are surprisingly hard to find.

Had the same thoughts! but also running the captain with the flaming sword relic so until I can find a legit replacement just going to roll with it unfortunately :ohdear:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Took the oldest model I have (not oldest sculpt, but I got it the longest ago) a metal furioso dreadnought, cleaned off the paint (horribly globbed on, didn't thin paints at all since I didn't know what I was doing back then) stripped it down to the metal, re-primed it and man it looks pretty great.

I mean, it looks poo poo, but compared to how it was it looks way better. Didn't have time to put any proper details on it yet and I don't even play Blood Angels anymore but just kinda felt like if I have the model laying around I may as well clean it up!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

You should've done a before and after

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Just had my first match today with the following list at 1250 against Dark Angels:

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [59 PL, 1247pts] ++

+ HQ +

Belisarius Cawl [13 PL, 250pts]

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL, 107pts]: Omnispex
. 2x Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): 2x Transuranic arquebus
. Ranger Alpha: Galvanic rifle
. 2x Skitarii Ranger

+ Elites +

Cybernetica Datasmith [3 PL, 52pts]: Gamma pistol, Power fist

Fulgurite Electro-Priests [8 PL, 160pts]: 10x Fulgurite Electro-Priest

+ Fast Attack +

Ironstrider Ballistarii [4 PL, 95pts]
. Ironstrider Ballistarius: Twin Cognis Lascannon

Sydonian Dragoons [3 PL, 74pts]
. Sydonian Dragoon: Phosphor Serpenta, Taser lance

+ Heavy Support +

Kastelan Robots [12 PL, 220pts]
. Kastelan Robot: Heavy Phosphor blaster
. . Heavy phosphor blasters: 2x Heavy Phosphor blaster

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 138pts]: Cognis heavy stubber, Icarus Array, Smoke Launchers

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 151pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis heavy stubber
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber: Cognis heavy stubber, Neutron Laser

++ Total: [59 PL, 1247pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I lost but it was a close game, we played The Scouring, score ended 7-3 mostly because the Superior Objective point worth 4 VP was deep in his side and he camped on it the whole game. My Dunecrawlers, Kastelan Robots, and Rangers were my surviving units while I wiped his army out down to Azrael and a wounded Tactical squad. I made a few rookie mistakes, namely with not being objective conscious enough and moving some of my units as smartly as I could have, Cawl ended up paying the price for it in Turn 6 to give my opponent Slay the Warlord.

Cawl was a star otherwise and got First Blood on my opponent's Nephilim Jetfighter with the help of a Datasmith's Gamma Pistol, which is surprisingly deadly.

The electro-priests were definitely a threat on their own but through my own fault I didn't maneuver them well enough to engage the right units in the fight phase and they ended up dying before they got their 3++, otherwise they would've been monsters for my opponent to deal with if I had played it the right way and would've very likely made it all the way to their backline to raise hell with my opponent's Twin Autocannon dreadnought and Azrael.

The Rangers didn't really do much unfortunately and only managed to take off 1 wound off Azrael, but I probably should've just moved them to to an objective since plinking at Azrael wasn't working out as well as I'd hoped.

Dunecrawlers and Kastelans did very well, Neutron Laser could've been better but my rolls weren't super great with it to be fair. Icarus Array ended up taking out my opponent's second Nephilim Jetfighter so that was cool.

The Ironstrider and Dragoon died early and probably would've been more survivable if I had brought 2 Dragoons in a squadron, but I couldn't fit the second one in with only 1250 points. It only really highlighted how necessary they are to screen and secure objectives with the lack of mobility Ad Mech has.

If I had rolled a 4+ to continue the game to a Turn 7 I probably could've won, but alas. Overall it was a fun list to play, next time I'll probably play a little more aggressively and push up earlier to keep the pressure on. I'll definitely be tweaking it though, will likely add some Militarum Tempestus units to help mitigate Ad Mech's limited mobility.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
So are there gonna be rules on Xenos allying with each other or what

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

JFC I can't unsee the smoke and cloth flailing/trailing in opposite directions now :psyduck:

Some of the early AoS releases are absolutely INCREDIBLY awful in this regard. One of them has hair and cloth going in different directions while standing flatflooted. Its amazing.

Just as a counterpoint to people that think I hate everything GW do, the new Typhus model in the full Mortarion teaser is really, really good. It's clean, the silhouette is clear and its nurgle as gently caress. The belly tentacles holding on to his scyth are great. It's a beautiful model. They can do it, they just seem to gently caress it up for the biggest most important stuff consistently.

Who ruined your avatar Goose Willis.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

Doubt it, they probably wanted to avoid some of the goofy allying poo poo that happened in 7th.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

goose willis posted:

Get a lot of this mon'keigh.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

YOU are my ONE TRUE HOPE I love you mang help plis think of the goose just think of all the loving geese and the goslings and they're just screaming honking out for vengeance and they want their goose willis back they just wanna watch one more loving die hard movie but instead of bruce willis it's a loving goose and it's just yelling everywhere and making GBS threads big chunks of green poo poo with grass stuck into it and they're on every public park everywhere all goddamn season and if you get too close they'll loving bite you in an ouchy spot
You had the old text for like one day. What did you do? This new one is like someone tried to be creative and just failed miserably and then rolled around in the resulting mess.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

TTerrible posted:

Who ruined your avatar Goose Willis.

"ruined"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

While you were liking GW models, I was studying the avatar.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Just had my first match today with the following list at 1250 against Dark Angels:

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [59 PL, 1247pts] ++

+ HQ +

Belisarius Cawl [13 PL, 250pts]

+ Troops +

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL, 107pts]: Omnispex
. 2x Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): 2x Transuranic arquebus
. Ranger Alpha: Galvanic rifle
. 2x Skitarii Ranger

+ Elites +

Cybernetica Datasmith [3 PL, 52pts]: Gamma pistol, Power fist

Fulgurite Electro-Priests [8 PL, 160pts]: 10x Fulgurite Electro-Priest

+ Fast Attack +

Ironstrider Ballistarii [4 PL, 95pts]
. Ironstrider Ballistarius: Twin Cognis Lascannon

Sydonian Dragoons [3 PL, 74pts]
. Sydonian Dragoon: Phosphor Serpenta, Taser lance

+ Heavy Support +

Kastelan Robots [12 PL, 220pts]

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 138pts]: Cognis heavy stubber, Icarus Array, Smoke Launchers

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 151pts]: Broad Spectrum Data-tether, Cognis heavy stubber
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber: Cognis heavy stubber, Neutron Laser

++ Total: [59 PL, 1247pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I lost but it was a close game, we played The Scouring, score ended 7-3 mostly because the Superior Objective point worth 4 VP was deep in his side and he camped on it the whole game. My Dunecrawlers, Kastelan Robots, and Rangers were my surviving units while I wiped his army out down to Azrael and a wounded Tactical squad. I made a few rookie mistakes, namely with not being objective conscious enough and moving some of my units as smartly as I could have, Cawl ended up paying the price for it in Turn 6 to give my opponent Slay the Warlord.

Cawl was a star otherwise and got First Blood on my opponent's Nephilim Jetfighter with the help of a Datasmith's Gamma Pistol, which is surprisingly deadly.

The electro-priests were definitely a threat on their own but through my own fault I didn't maneuver them well enough to engage the right units in the fight phase and they ended up dying before they got their 3++, otherwise they would've been monsters for my opponent to deal with if I had played it the right way and would've very likely made it all the way to their backline to raise hell with my opponent's Twin Autocannon dreadnought and Azrael.

The Rangers didn't really do much unfortunately and only managed to take off 1 wound off Azrael, but I probably should've just moved them to to an objective since plinking at Azrael wasn't working out as well as I'd hoped.

Dunecrawlers and Kastelans did very well, Neutron Laser could've been better but my rolls weren't super great with it to be fair. Icarus Array ended up taking out my opponent's second Nephilim Jetfighter so that was cool.

The Ironstrider and Dragoon died early and probably would've been more survivable if I had brought 2 Dragoons in a squadron, but I couldn't fit the second one in with only 1250 points. It only really highlighted how necessary they are to screen and secure objectives with the lack of mobility Ad Mech has.

If I had rolled a 4+ to continue the game to a Turn 7 I probably could've won, but alas. Overall it was a fun list to play, next time I'll probably play a little more aggressively and push up earlier to keep the pressure on. I'll definitely be tweaking it though, will likely add some Militarum Tempestus units to help mitigate Ad Mech's limited mobility.

I like running my Kastelans with fists so I can run the Electro-Priests behind them. They soak up fire so the priests can get into range.

Sorry about your rangers. That's how mine are every game and why I dislike them.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
They took my face from me

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goose willis posted:

They took my face from me

It looks more like they gave you both your faces.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Zuul the Cat posted:

I like running my Kastelans with fists so I can run the Electro-Priests behind them. They soak up fire so the priests can get into range.

Sorry about your rangers. That's how mine are every game and why I dislike them.

Not sure how that works. I'd think people would just shoot the anti-infantry guns at the priests and the anti-tank guns at kastelans. I guess people just find them that distracting? I've never fought anyone that tried that, just a guy that sends tons of kastellans, onagers, and destroyers.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

goose willis posted:

I thought they already could as long as they were in separate detachments.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

StuG Jeebus posted:

I thought they already could as long as they were in separate detachments.

For matched play (i.e. what most are playing) all units in all detachments have to share a keyword. If you wanna go narrative or open then yeah, do what you want.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Dune Crawlers with a Tech Priest Dominus near them, or, "How I stopped worrying and learnt to love ignoring them"

Incredible ability to soak up the hurt.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Not sure how that works. I'd think people would just shoot the anti-infantry guns at the priests and the anti-tank guns at kastelans. I guess people just find them that distracting? I've never fought anyone that tried that, just a guy that sends tons of kastellans, onagers, and destroyers.

I think it's a size thing. The priests are tiny compared to the Kastelans, even though I'd be more scared of the priests.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Thundercloud posted:

I took almost exactly this army on Tuesday (drop one lieutenant, add one intercessor squad, give one squad of skull boys bull pup bolters).

Beat Dark Eldar, with my skull boys killing a close combat Archon. DE infantry, even Wyches, got pummelled by biglys, though the Succubus plus wyches did kill one of my 5 man squads. Basically his army were in Raiders and Venoms, and while he was in combat on turn 2 and my plasma biglys got all his anti tank fire, his combat troops just bounced, and biglys in cover just bounced all the splinter rifle fire.

Biglys aren't top tier, I think Orks, Nids, Space Marines are safely in that slot, but they are tough as hell.

Awesome. I figure this is good for a cheap, easy to build and carry list (32 figs) so I can actually go play the game more often instead of in 6 months or more when I actually have enough orks built and painted, so not getting tabled every match is really all I ask.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Zuul the Cat posted:

Fist kastelans are on my 1500/1750 pt list, I'm hoping a triple melee threat of a pair of dragoons, a pair of fist kastelans, and 10 angry electro priests would scare my opponent enough to split their fire while my backline stays safe and shoots them down while camping on objectives near me. Add some deep striking overcharged plasma Tempestus Scions in rapid fire range that can reroll 1's and they're in for a bad time.

Might replace my rangers with a vindicare assassin for some more reliable character killing, anyone used him yet?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Might replace my rangers with a vindicare assassin for some more reliable character killing, anyone used him yet?

I've used him to good effect in all the games I've played. I play Imperial Guard so I give him a command squad with 4 sniper rifles to hid in, just to make sure he does not get sniped too early thanks to the Character rule. He is pretty hard to dislodge in cover, but not impossible.

Offensively, he can be a real monster. The last game I played is where he did the most damage to date. He headshot a Space Marine Librarian in one shot thanks to rolling a 6 on the Wound roll, turning D3 wounds into D6 wounds and rolling 4 to instantly kill him. He spent two turns killing the Company Master who was helping Hellblasters melt my tanks down and finally killing the Ancient on a Bike on the last turn of the game. I was really impressed.

He does his job well and my opponents either have to dedicate a decent amount of stuff to kill him, which is a victory in its right usually, or leave him alone and worry about their characters getting murdered.

Not bad for 5 Power Level really.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 11, 2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Here's a (bad) look at my first go at airbrushing - I'm pleased, by comparison to how I'd have done painting it manually anyway. That's like 20 mins of work, with most of it being messing with the paint itself. I think I'll finally allow myself to start painting more vehicles.

Does anyone know if there's a good Vallejo treatment of Russ Grey? Digging Citadel colors out of the pot to put into the airbrush cup is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Deified Data posted:

Here's a (bad) look at my first go at airbrushing - I'm pleased, by comparison to how I'd have done painting it manually anyway. That's like 20 mins of work, with most of it being messing with the paint itself. I think I'll finally allow myself to start painting more vehicles.

Does anyone know if there's a good Vallejo treatment of Russ Grey? Digging Citadel colors out of the pot to put into the airbrush cup is a pain in the rear end.

I dig the frost look.

Here is a Vallejo conversion chart for Citadel

http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/f142859c2dceec389f5e57bb16b87547/CC072_Rev17.pdf

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/htmlview

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 11, 2017