Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

uh, clearly roger faked his death, had a sex change from ivankov, erased his memory, then gave birth to luffy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Now does Blackbeard smoke weed

Blackbeard wanted Burgess to get Ace's fruit so that his armada would always have a light

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Now does Blackbeard smoke weed

I was really worried we were going to leave page 420 without that

Manatee Cannon posted:

uh, clearly roger faked his death, had a sex change from ivankov, erased his memory, then gave birth to luffy

Are you loving dumb? Dragon is married to the SEA AND LUFFY IS ITS SON

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

EGSunBro posted:

When do you think Crocodile will come back and tell Luffy that he's his mom?

Bon Clay

Gonna have to have a big think about my rankings

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EmmyOk posted:

literally gently caress the ocean

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eating a devil fruit was dragon's way of saying "let's see other people"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dragon seductively eating a devil fruit while a tidal wave begins to form

"Baby, I swear it's a pineapple"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this explains the stormy weather around dragon

it all fits. oda does it again

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
i think it was nanomachines, personally.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
You would think that wouldn't you, Go D. Fish

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Another random subject:

We've had the Thousand Sunny for years now... and it's never developed the same appeal the Going Merry had.

Like, the Thousand Sunny is cool and fun and all that, but it feels like a big plastic toy. There's no cozy vulnerability like there was with the small fragile Merry, doing its best in all these crazy adventures.

I remember at the time I wasn't like... instantly in love with the Sunny (though the lawn deck was awesome), and I told myself it was just 'cause it was new, and they were gonna have adventures and bond with it and stuff. But looking back now, they've had a bunch of adventures, and it still feels the same.

And thinking about what accounts for that difference, I think almost all down to Ussop's lovely repairs. Both ships have seen some poo poo, but Merry had the scars to prove it, while the Sunny still looks brand new. You really ended up feeling for how hard that little ship was trying, because you could see it every time you looked at the busted railing, or the metal strip around the sheep's neck. The poor thing tried so hard.

tl;dr I still miss the Going Merry... :(

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Wait, so Jimbei is Luffy's brother?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Wait, so Jimbei is Luffy's brother?

Sister because when it comes to the ocean all ships are shes even relationships

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Eiba posted:

Another random subject:

We've had the Thousand Sunny for years now... and it's never developed the same appeal the Going Merry had.

Like, the Thousand Sunny is cool and fun and all that, but it feels like a big plastic toy. There's no cozy vulnerability like there was with the small fragile Merry, doing its best in all these crazy adventures.

I remember at the time I wasn't like... instantly in love with the Sunny (though the lawn deck was awesome), and I told myself it was just 'cause it was new, and they were gonna have adventures and bond with it and stuff. But looking back now, they've had a bunch of adventures, and it still feels the same.

And thinking about what accounts for that difference, I think almost all down to Ussop's lovely repairs. Both ships have seen some poo poo, but Merry had the scars to prove it, while the Sunny still looks brand new. You really ended up feeling for how hard that little ship was trying, because you could see it every time you looked at the busted railing, or the metal strip around the sheep's neck. The poor thing tried so hard.

Sunny is a cool ship with lots of neat toys, but it's not a member of the crew. It hasn't literally manifested a spiritual form so it could repair itself and oh god it got dusty in here all of a sudden.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Eiba posted:

Another random subject:

It feels like they never spend pagetime on the Sunny much anymore, like islands take way longer now and beyond the art woman fight I can't think of the Sunny really being in involved in much of anything.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

It feels like they never spend pagetime on the Sunny much anymore, like islands take way longer now and beyond the art woman fight I can't think of the Sunny really being in involved in much of anything.

Yeah it's mostly just minor set dressing between arcs, where as it was a constant buidl up with Merry barely making it anywhere. Any time since they entered the grand line, the Merry was constantly under repairs or had doubts that it could make x trip or needed to get major goofy overhauls. Beyond Jora the only big thing I can think of was getting the bubble coating, but it wasn't on the same level as any of Merry's stuff.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
When Usopp launches the attack on the sky island part of Elbaf he's going to be at leading the armada in the GM2 refitted as a waver.

Sogeking af

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I feel that Sunny being shunted aside is just another casualty of the huge cast. Like, we're at the point right now where we need to leave crewmembers behind on other islands just to be able to tell the story that needs to be told, honestly the last two arcs have been the best One Piece has been for a while and it's partly because we dumped half the crew at Zou and picked up a few guests along the way to Whole Cake, both giving the main cast room to breathe while also spicing things up with new characters for them to interact with that aren't hostiles.

Merry was part of a small, tight knit group that struggled constantly to move forward and had more than a few scars along the way. Sunny is part of a larger, more confident and capable group, built of tougher stuff and repaired off panel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I feel that Sunny being shunted aside is just another casualty of the huge cast. Like, we're at the point right now where we need to leave crewmembers behind on other islands just to be able to tell the story that needs to be told, honestly the last two arcs have been the best One Piece has been for a while and it's partly because we dumped half the crew at Zou and picked up a few guests along the way to Whole Cake, both giving the main cast room to breathe while also spicing things up with new characters for them to interact with that aren't hostiles.

Merry was part of a small, tight knit group that struggled constantly to move forward and had more than a few scars along the way. Sunny is part of a larger, more confident and capable group, built of tougher stuff and repaired off panel.

Not to mention the fact that the crew has gotten even more bloated now that Jimbe has officially joined up (I forget, is Carrot a permanent new addition to the crew or is she more of an "honorary" Straw Hat like Vivi was at this point?).

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

She drat well better be permanent

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Carrot and Pedro are just Yosaku and Johnny's furry counterparts.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
The Merry was a character unto itself, the Sunny is an extension of the crew and especially Franky. When Franky combines with it into a super robot like Lagann slamming into Gurren in order to fight Sanjuan Wolf it would be awkward if the Sunny had a soul.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Not to mention the fact that the crew has gotten even more bloated now that Jimbe has officially joined up (I forget, is Carrot a permanent new addition to the crew or is she more of an "honorary" Straw Hat like Vivi was at this point?).

Vivi is a proper Straw Hat and Carrot is just a guest.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I mean, you could interpret "10 men should do it" as Luffy + 10, so there could be one more space open. I'm pretty sure it's reserved for Gin though.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

She drat well better be permanent

She's being tested out to see if a partner character can make chopper more interesting

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I still figure Blackbeard's thing is gonna be that he was a conjoined twin or absorbed his twin in the womb or some crap, so he's technically two people and can thus hold two Devil Fruits. Chopper can explain it to everyone.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The Darkness fruit absorbs and suppresses other devil fruits. That's all the explanation needed for Blackbeard having two. Why do you think he was willing to murder Thatch over it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well originally I thought the answer was so he could hit logias in the face but turns out everyone in the new world can do that

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

The Darkness fruit absorbs and suppresses other devil fruits. That's all the explanation needed for Blackbeard having two. Why do you think he was willing to murder Thatch over it?

Exactly. I honestly can't tell if other Blackbeard theories are trolling at this point. His ability's catchphrase is "The Darkness Absorbs All" and then he absorbs someone's devil fruit power. QED

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Vivi is a proper Straw Hat and Carrot is just a guest.

Speaking of which, I kind of liked Vivi. They should find some excuse to have her rejoin the crew permanently (though I'd imagine working alongside Robin would be a little awkward at first). She is currently out at sea after all so I'm guessing there's at least going to be a reunion between them at some point.

Besides, we could always use some more women in the group especially if Carrot doesn't end up sticking around (I kind of hope she does though, she makes a good foil to Chopper. Pedro's not that bad either).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 11, 2017

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

That sounds like more than just "He has a special fruit power", but beyond that we're totally in the dark.

If I weren't dirt poor I'd put money on the Darkness Fruit being one part of what enables him to have multiple powers, with his "strange body" being another element.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Blackbeard is really . . . a trans-granny!

Idk if Marco is a reliable narrator in this case though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Alacron posted:

That sounds like more than just "He has a special fruit power", but beyond that we're totally in the dark.

If I weren't dirt poor I'd put money on the Darkness Fruit being one part of what enables him to have multiple powers, with his "strange body" being another element.

Having a strange body could just be his fruit power. Luffy has a strange body, it's made of rubber. Blackbeard's could be especially strange since he got the darkness fruit, which has ~mysterious powers~ that haven't been fully explained yet.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Begemot posted:

Having a strange body could just be his fruit power. Luffy has a strange body, it's made of rubber. Blackbeard's could be especially strange since he got the darkness fruit, which has ~mysterious powers~ that haven't been fully explained yet.

Except it was said as if it was like a known thing for the crew and they didn't even interact with him after he bounced with the devil fruit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kild posted:

Except it was said as if it was like a known thing for the crew and they didn't even interact with him after he bounced with the devil fruit.
He got two diccs

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
In it's first appearance Blackbeard says his fruit is "unique even for logias" and it "has the power of the devil" so that makes more sense. Plus in a meta sense it works too because the "terrifying power" of the dark fruit was originally that it could nullify other fruit powers, but then right around Marineford-ish Haki got invented so he had to come up with something else because that power suddenly isn't so impressive when everyone has it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ryaomon posted:

In it's first appearance Blackbeard says his fruit is "unique even for logias" and it "has the power of the devil" so that makes more sense. Plus in a meta sense it works too because the "terrifying power" of the dark fruit was originally that it could nullify other fruit powers, but then right around Marineford-ish Haki got invented so he had to come up with something else because that power suddenly isn't so impressive when everyone has it.

It's going to be awkward when Luffy tries to go Gear Fourth but Blackbeard just nullifies his powers, so Luffy ends up relying solely on Haki to finish the fight.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

A less discussed topic: What's on top of Mariejois that makes it such a secret? Fishman Island survives by a magic tree who's roots provides light to the underground. I think whatever is sprouting above on the redline is what let Doffy keep political power over the Dragons.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Matoi Ryuko posted:

She's being tested out to see if a partner character can make chopper more interesting

Instead of trying to "make chopper more interesting", Chopper should just be outright replaced with Carrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I wanna steer the conversation around how/why Blackbeard has multiple fruits by bringing up how cool it would be if Vegapunk were to suddenly discover how to do something like hybrid fruits where you get the powers of two different fruits and all the amazing, cool things that Oda could do with. Monet was really cool although technically not having two fruits, she could easily have had a Harpy and Snow parmecia fruit too