Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

legally and funtionally its 100% the presidents call. People in the room have to not allow him to physically give the order for that to change. The people in the CoC could theoretically ignore the order but they drill such that they shouldn't ever really know the difference between a training order and a real order for that exact purpose.

It sounds like it might be opsec, but what stops a training order from being actually executed, is it that there's like a training launch code that beep boops at you if you enter it correctly and then there's an actual honest to god sunshine code that beep boops at you and blows something up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

The article doesn't seem to state at all what's acting as the fuel so something clearly got lost in translation there. Maybe the Al grabs the O from the water, I forgot how to determine whether or not that would fit the bill of what they describe, i.e. the reaction being exothermic.

I mean Al loves the gently caress out of oxygen atoms and will readily grab it, I just wonder how you could arrange aluminum atoms in order to get them to rip oxygen away from hydrogen in water without providing any other energy to the reaction, because the bonds between oxygen and hydrogen are extremely strong.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Trump went on a rant today at a press conference or whatever that was. He talked about transgender troop in the process.

Remember when he went on a twitter rant and talked about transgender troops? Manafort got raided.

Soooo.... what happened today?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

TBeats posted:

Trump went on a rant today at a press conference or whatever that was. He talked about transgender troop in the process.

Remember when he went on a twitter rant and talked about transgender troops? Manafort got raided.

Soooo.... what happened today?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETNSVEumyJk

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

orange juche posted:

I mean Al loves the gently caress out of oxygen atoms and will readily grab it, I just wonder how you could arrange aluminum atoms in order to get them to rip oxygen away from hydrogen in water without providing any other energy to the reaction, because the bonds between oxygen and hydrogen are extremely strong.

I've been wondering about this as well. That's a hell of bond to just rip apart.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

One hundred and forty three loving degrees F with literal burning bushes and conservatives/christians still won't believe in climate change. :v:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That poo poo has to be explosive as fuuuuck considering how much simple finely powdered aluminum without any nanostructure trickery already loves atmospheric O2 and federal watchlists

But considering how energetic that reaction is I absolutely believe they've made what they say they have, fuckin lol at selling it as a hydrogen breakthrough instead of weird slow-burn aluminum though.

Also aluminum refining accounts for something like 20% of global electricity demand

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Duke Chin posted:

One hundred and forty three loving degrees F with literal burning bushes and conservatives/christians still won't believe in climate change. :v:

It's not real.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

There's a World Cup due in neighboring Qatar in 5 years. They play in summer, but no worries.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

TBeats posted:

It's not real.

conservative & christians? I agree. :rimshot:

(just saw the poo poo below it when I clicked through plus it ruins my lovely burning bush joke god damnit)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Duke Chin posted:

lol we are so boned as a race

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Duke Chin posted:

Bushes have been bursting into flame in the Middle East for at least like 3k yesrs

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
So we have developed the ever coveted water bomb huh? Sprinkle some aluminum, a match, and buddy you got a warcrime going

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ManMythLegend posted:

I've been wondering about this as well. That's a hell of bond to just rip apart.

Get thee to the FOOF thread

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Bushes have been bursting into flame in the Middle East for at least like 3k yesrs

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

milk milk lemonade posted:

Holy poo poo they're doing it on purpose.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

orange juche posted:

If you convert 220kW to MJ using E(J) = 1000 × P(kW) × t(s) you get E(J) = 1000*220*240 or 52,800,000 Joules of energy produced just from the hydrogen liberated from the reaction. That's 52.8 MJ/L for the aluminum reaction. It has a higher energy density than either gasoline or diesel, assuming no losses of energy.

BTW kW is a unit of energy just like a joule, a kW/h is a unit of power (which would be wrong). So the article wasn't wrong in using kW, but it would have been better to use Joule so we didn't have to convert it.

I was wrong on that calculation by the way, it was a 3 minute reaction not a 4 minute reaction so E(J)=1000*220*180 or 39,600,000 Joules or 39.6MJ. Not as energetic as gasoline or diesel, but still drat energetic. If they were able to capture the full power of the reaction by capturing the thermal energy too you would have E(J)=1000*440*180 or 79.2MJ from the reaction. Assuming you only can harness 50% of the thermal energy released and lose the rest to the process to harness it, you will still have 59.4MJ or better than the gas or diesel reaction.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

orange juche posted:

I was wrong on that calculation by the way, it was a 3 minute reaction not a 4 minute reaction so E(J)=1000*220*180 or 39,600,000 Joules or 39.6MJ. Not as energetic as gasoline or diesel, but still drat energetic. If they were able to capture the full power of the reaction by capturing the thermal energy too you would have E(J)=1000*440*180 or 79.2MJ from the reaction. Assuming you only can harness 50% of the thermal energy released and lose the rest to the process to harness it, you will still have 59.4MJ or better than the gas or diesel reaction.

What if you also turned around and used the hydrogen for energy?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr_Ruckus posted:

The 39.6MJ is from reacting the hydrogen in a fuel cell to produce electricity. If you harnessed the heat from the cracking of water with a thermocouple or something you would get even more energy.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Mr_Ruckus posted:

You could either capture the heat generated in the refinement process and use it to power said process, and produce hydrogen fuel, or perhaps you could create an engine that uses both the heat of the reaction and the resultant hydrogen to create propulsion.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Sounds like it could be a pretty good breakthrough if it works as they said.

Are there any byproducts from the process other than hydrogen and oxygen? What about from using the hydrogen for energy? If it's the clean source I think it would be, it sounds pretty big. But I'm not a physicist or chemist that understands the details about the process.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

ANOTHER loving MILLER

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TBeats posted:

It's not real.

Yep.

http://www.snopes.com/62-degree-celsius-kuwait-tree-fire/

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

If the president can believe things on twitter than so can I :colbert:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr_Ruckus posted:

Are there any byproducts from the process other than hydrogen and oxygen? What about from using the hydrogen for energy? If it's the clean source I think it would be, it sounds pretty big. But I'm not a physicist or chemist that understands the details about the process.

There would be nothing other than aluminum oxide and hydrogen produced, unless the aluminum structure cracks hydrogen and oxygen from water and somehow doesn't bond to the freed oxygen. If it doesn't bond to the aluminum then you basically have cheap energy available as pretty much "just add water".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mr_Ruckus posted:

I'm impressed by what they've discovered, but remember - energy in = energy out. If it's just a matter of refining aluminium and reducing it to tiny particles, well, it's probably worth doing. If it turns out to get them to that state is massively energy intensive, it becomes less attractive. That's why none of those HHO or whatever they were, HOO? things never worked, because it took more energy to crack the water into hydrogen than you got energy in return. Entropy is a loving bitch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You're never going to get parity. But for something like a battery, or a device to manufacture rocket fuel on, say, Mars, you don't really need to. You just have to top the threshold where it becomes viable for a certain weight.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Someone's a bit too happy on the Like button.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/895840816601726976

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Or, for something like fossil fuels, where they already exist, you only need to get a better return than pumping it out of the ground, not actually being produced.

Which is why I was wondering about the processing cost of the aluminium - mining it is cheap by comparison.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So this whole Korea thing is starting to feel closer to 50/50 rather than 'inconceivable'

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
:stare:

Three options:
  1. He read the tweet and failed to understand it is an anti-Trump tweet by someone accusing him of raping children.
  2. Someone with access to the presidential Twitter decided to gently caress with Trump.
  3. He's genuinely proud that the person is accusing him of these things.

Honestly, none of the three would surprise me. poo poo, it was removed in the last three minutes.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
It's inconceivably stupid and insane

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord
http://www.clickhole.com/article/master-diplomat-pundits-have-noted-similarities-be-6469#1,

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Trump's planning to fix global warming with nuclear winter.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

uh, so this article in the new zealand herald says that the chinese are now saying if the us strikes first, they'll step in on the nk side

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11902513

it uh

it's not good

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
loving dumbass fuckstick trump who gives a rats loving rear end about North Korea you retarded rear end in a top hat

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
gently caress you America you writhing mass of meth mouthed trailer trash uneducated obese shitlords

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

harsh, but fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Two Finger posted:

uh, so this article in the new zealand herald says that the chinese are now saying if the us strikes first, they'll step in on the nk side

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11902513

it uh

it's not good

They also said if NK launches at Guam they're on their own when the USA retaliates. Basically they said they're not going to back whoever throws the first punch.

• Locked thread