Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Latest omnibus announcements I've seen recently:

Daredevil: Shadowland and Deadpool by Daniel Way.

Is there demand for these?
People seem to eat up everything Deadpool related, so yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was under the impression that Daniel Way's Deadpool was the one nobody seemed to like but which went on forever.

Probably my own biases. I didn't like it very much. I remember it seemed a bit too "lol wacky random" for me.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah but Shovelmint's point was that people are just buying anything with Deadpool's name on it, so why not put out an omni of Way's not-very-well-regarded run? It'll probably still sell. Although do people who instinctively buy Deadpool stuff shell out for omni's?

Definite question marks over a Shadowland omni though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Latest omnibus announcements I've seen recently:

Daredevil: Shadowland and Deadpool by Daniel Way.

Is there demand for these? :confused:

There was an omnibus for Howard the Duck. And while I like that comic and got the omni I also realize that it's hardly a mainstream comic.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Alhazred posted:

There was an omnibus for Howard the Duck. And while I like that comic and got the omni I also realize that it's hardly a mainstream comic.

I'd argue the difference is that while there may be a limited audience for Howard the Duck, and similarly for Shang Chi/Deadly Hands, Monsterbus, and some other more obscure titles, there's an appreciable value to people in those markets in that these are hard to get comics and a history-inclined audience is able to get a more premier book.

Shadowland carries no such cache except maybe trying to complete the omni gap between Brubaker and Waid (which I'm not sure if this actually does). I can kinda understand Deadpool for similar "completeness" urges.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zachack posted:

I'd argue the difference is that while there may be a limited audience for Howard the Duck, and similarly for Shang Chi/Deadly Hands, Monsterbus, and some other more obscure titles, there's an appreciable value to people in those markets in that these are hard to get comics and a history-inclined audience is able to get a more premier book.

Shadowland carries no such cache except maybe trying to complete the omni gap between Brubaker and Waid (which I'm not sure if this actually does). I can kinda understand Deadpool for similar "completeness" urges.

Both Daredevil and Deadpool are popular characters who recently starred in a popular movie/show, it's really not a mystery why the omni is being released.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was under the impression that Daniel Way's Deadpool was the one nobody seemed to like but which went on forever.

Probably my own biases. I didn't like it very much. I remember it seemed a bit too "lol wacky random" for me.

I think a lot of BSS has forgotten that Way's run started off strong. It was good until the arc where Deadpool wears a meat suit to fight Bullseye in some Roadrunner/ Coyote silliness and then started a s teep drop into mehsville

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

I think a lot of BSS has forgotten that Way's run started off strong. It was good until the arc where Deadpool wears a meat suit to fight Bullseye in some Roadrunner/ Coyote silliness and then started a s teep drop into mehsville

I'm cool with everything up thru #21. Then it just becomes super... inessential.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wheat Loaf posted:

If I remember correctly it was a big seller and it was the series that started to make deadpool big.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So is shadowland bad? Know very little about daredevil outside the waid and miller runs so I would seriously consider getting another daredevil omni. If it's a bad story though I won't bother.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nyeehg posted:

So is shadowland bad? Know very little about daredevil outside the waid and miller runs so I would seriously consider getting another daredevil omni. If it's a bad story though I won't bother.

Do not waste your money.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nyeehg posted:

It sucks. It's real depressing to end Brubaker and go into that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you really want to read it, just get an MU subscription for a month.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Nyeehg posted:

It is bad and you should blow your money on the Bendis and Brubaker omnis.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ouch. Think I'll give that a pass then. I wonder why they're giving it an omnibus treatment? Still, it's not the first baffling omnibus marvel has publiched and probably won't be the last :v:.

Ah well, least there's plenty of other good runs to look into. Thanks everyone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite was the Crossing omnibus which had a back cover blurb of "ONE OF THE MOST NOTORIOUS NARRATIVES OF THE NINETIES!" so they were implicitly making how terrible it is a selling point.

I'm most disappointed that there's probably never going to be a New Warriors Vol. 2 omnibus because the first is one of my favourite omnibuses Marvel has published.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

“bobkatt013” posted:

If I remember correctly it was a big seller and it was the series that started to make deadpool big.

This is spot on.

“redbackground” posted:

I’m cool with everything up thru #21. Then it just becomes super... inessential.

And so is this.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Hickman Avengers Omni arrived today.. my back already hurts.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

^burtle posted:

I've decided to let mine sit there until volume 2 comes out. I recently did both Hickman Fantastic Four omnis back to back and it was a great ride.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a Silver Age Justice League Vol. 2 omnibus, but no Silver Age Justice League Vol. 1 omnibus. Can anyone explain? :confused:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's a Silver Age Justice League Vol. 2 omnibus, but no Silver Age Justice League Vol. 1 omnibus. Can anyone explain? :confused:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Justice League of America Omnibus Vol. 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/140124842X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_vL6CzbBEC85XW

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I see. Clearly that predates the Golden/Silver/Bronze Age branding.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
DC's collection department loving something up and not being consistent? Well I never!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Volume 1
https://www.amazon.com/Justice-Leag...lver+Age+Vol.+1

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That one's the paperback that only has the first third or so of the equivalent omnibus.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are you sure about that? Under that branding, they've only put out three JLA volumes, full stop.
#3 was out in April.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are you sure about that? Under that branding, they've only put out three JLA volumes, full stop.
#3 was out in April.

They've put out three Silver Age trades which are equivalent to the first omnibus, issues 1-30.

The three omnibii collect 1-113. The first two are Silver Age, last Bronze Age, but as mentioned the first one came out before DC settled on the current design. There are plans for more including the Detroit era.

Edit: not my pic

McGurk fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 23, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Padje posted:

I've decided to let mine sit there until volume 2 comes out. I recently did both Hickman Fantastic Four omnis back to back and it was a great ride.

^burtle posted:

What's the story ordering for Volume 1?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

MazelTovCocktail posted:

What's the story ordering for Volume 1?

I skimmed it and it appears to be in publication order.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I posted it elsewhere from a Reddit post. It's in the correct reading order except that one issue that should be a prologue to Infinity comes after issue 1.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There's a local bindery that does comic books, so I'm going to get my first bound collection. Pretty reasonably priced - 34.50$ Canadian for Smythe sewn with basic info on it. Probably won't pay the extra 8$ for front cover stamping. Now to figure out what books to bind. Thinking of doing a couple volumes of Legends of the Dark Knight as the trial run.

I'm kind of excited for this - need to figure out what I'm doing for a table of contents.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Jordan7hm posted:

There's a local bindery that does comic books, so I'm going to get my first bound collection. Pretty reasonably priced - 34.50$ Canadian for Smythe sewn with basic info on it. Probably won't pay the extra 8$ for front cover stamping. Now to figure out what books to bind. Thinking of doing a couple volumes of Legends of the Dark Knight as the trial run.

I'm kind of excited for this - need to figure out what I'm doing for a table of contents.

Cool. I did a bare bones LotDK bind. Reminds me, I need to prep and send off my Epic Illustrated run.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

:eng99:

Why?

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 1, 2017

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Time to break out the Sharpie.

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006
Hamilton Books has the Duggan/Posehn Deadpool omnibus for $35, if anyone who was interested in it hadn't already picked it up. Good price for a nice book. I didn't have any of the issues some people reported with the binding with my copy.

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/deadpool

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MauveTrousers posted:

Hamilton Books has the Duggan/Posehn Deadpool omnibus for $35, if anyone who was interested in it hadn't already picked it up. Good price for a nice book. I didn't have any of the issues some people reported with the binding with my copy.

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/deadpool

I've never heard of Hamilton Books before, but they have a LOT of cheap stuff, like the oversized Wednesday Comics hardcover for $10 ($38 new on Amazon). Are they legit? Reliable?

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/wednesday-comics

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've never heard of Hamilton Books before, but they have a LOT of cheap stuff, like the oversized Wednesday Comics hardcover for $10 ($38 new on Amazon). Are they legit? Reliable?

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/wednesday-comics

That Wednesday Comics hardcover and the DC One Million omnibus are some of their best offerings.

I've received things with remainder marks from them before, but otherwise they are very reliable. Some of the books I've picked up from them have been flawless, but some have obviously been handled. Shipping is always quick, but I am in the same state as them, so YMMV on that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I feel like a real dumbass for not getting the Cable & Deadpool omnibus before Deadpool exploded in popularity. It's so expensive now. :(

See also: every Thor omnibus

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well poo poo. Looks like Valiant's Shadowman HC and Book of Death HC are out of print and stupidly expensive.

ANyone got a line on these? I will offer up a still shrink-wrapped Cable/Deadpool Omnibus in trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo. Looks like Valiant's Shadowman HC and Book of Death HC are out of print and stupidly expensive.

ANyone got a line on these? I will offer up a still shrink-wrapped Cable/Deadpool Omnibus in trade.

I've got the Book of Death Deluxe HC, but not shrink wrapped (read it once).