Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK, preordered Gloomhaven ($95 seems more than fair) and included Clank! because getting the order over $125 to get free shipping is worth paying effectively like $18 for Clank. Now to wait. Cardhaus better get that game fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ShaneB posted:

OK, preordered Gloomhaven ($95 seems more than fair) and included Clank! because getting the order over $125 to get free shipping is worth paying effectively like $18 for Clank. Now to wait. Cardhaus better get that game fast.

poo poo, I had been trolling for a non-scalper pre-order copy. Thanks for calling attention to this.

E: A lot of the observations about Imperial Assault are valid, but my family and I did a campaign of the base box and everyone had a good time. I played the Empire and liked that I had a certain degree of control and customization even within the context of the scenarios. Also, the first time I put Darth Vader on the board everyone went nuts, so if you have people into the setting I think it makes for a good time. Really excited for Gloomhaven after hearing all the praise for it though.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 10, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I feel like I should clarify that I don't think Descent is a bad buy. Its no more inherently scammy than the endless progression of AD & D sourcebooks I've purchased over the years. The base game has a lot of content and figures and the mechanics are neat. Gloomhaven looks good too but I decided to go ahead and get both, partly because I didn't want to wait (I have boardgaming scheduled for Eclipse Weekend), but also because Descent has a more "traditional" feel -- fairly standard fantasy setting, races, classes, etc, while Gloomhaven (which I've only read about ) seems more "avant garde" and less traditional, both in terms of setting and mechanics, which I am going to have to get my gaming group worked up and prepped for.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gutter Owl posted:

For the record, no. Mage Knight is a single-session game, though the sessions can run very long. There is no persistence between individual games. It's an amazing game, but not what you're asking after.

As for campaign, The 7th Continent just released to Kickstarter backers, if you wanna chase it down on eBay. (Retail release is uncertain right now.) It's a short campaign Choose Your Own Adventure-style exploration game with survival and crafting elements. You're 19th century explorers, stranded on terra incognita with nothing but the clothes on your back, an empty stomach, and one of several deadly curses bearing down on you. Each curse comes with its own vague clues or sketchy maps pointing towards your possible salvation. Good luck.

No idea if it's with a drat. I just got my copy yesterday. But you asked.

From what I saw of it at Spiel, it's got all the replayability of TIME Stories at half again the cost, double the playtime and three times the physical weight.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

King of Bleh posted:

Can't wait for Dark Souls Munchkin, Dark Souls Love Letter, and Dark Souls-opoly

Dark Souls Munchkin would perfectly capture the total bullshit that is Dark Souls pvp

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I feel like I should clarify that I don't think Descent is a bad buy. Its no more inherently scammy than the endless progression of AD & D sourcebooks I've purchased over the years. The base game has a lot of content and figures and the mechanics are neat. Gloomhaven looks good too but I decided to go ahead and get both, partly because I didn't want to wait (I have boardgaming scheduled for Eclipse Weekend), but also because Descent has a more "traditional" feel -- fairly standard fantasy setting, races, classes, etc, while Gloomhaven (which I've only read about ) seems more "avant garde" and less traditional, both in terms of setting and mechanics, which I am going to have to get my gaming group worked up and prepped for.

I haven't played Descent with the App, but without the App Gloomhaven just blows Descent clean out of the water in the eyes of my playgroup. Due to a messy divorce, the woman who owns Descent no-longer plays with us (and neither does her ex) so I cannot compare to the 'with app' version, though honestly an app would fix my biggest single issue with the game. That said, due to the awesome card driven combat mechanic my gut read is Gloomhaven will still be a way better experience for people into complexity, but Descent is a fair bit lighter though decisions are less interesting.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I haven't played Descent with the App, but without the App Gloomhaven just blows Descent clean out of the water in the eyes of my playgroup. Due to a messy divorce, the woman who owns Descent no-longer plays with us (and neither does her ex) so I cannot compare to the 'with app' version, though honestly an app would fix my biggest single issue with the game. That said, due to the awesome card driven combat mechanic my gut read is Gloomhaven will still be a way better experience for people into complexity, but Descent is a fair bit lighter though decisions are less interesting.

Yeah, that was basically my read of the two games also. I really like complexity but some of the folks I boardgame with are still at the "Catan is fun, but so complicated" level, but they'll be fine if I just give them a dwarf with an axe and tell them to chop zombies.

The app is a bit clunky but workable. It gives the broad strokes (monster group of zombies here, group of ettins here, ettins attack closest hero then use Throw on closest hero and throw hero as far away as possible, etc), but you basically have to be willing to use it in good faith because a lot of very small choices (i.e, precisely which four spaces that ettin occupies) aren't clearly spelled out. On the other hand, stuff behind closed doors stays hidden, there are surprises instead of everything being spelled out in advance, not every battle is an objective race, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 11, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

So reading the info on Gloomhaven, there's seventeen classes, each with their own mini and ability deck? That's insane if true.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah, that was basically my read of the two games also. I really like complexity but some of the folks I boardgame with are still at the "Catan is fun, but so complicated" level, but they'll be fine if I just give them a dwarf with an axe and tell them to chop zombies.

The app is a bit clunky but workable. It gives the broad strokes (monster group of zombies here, group of ettins here, ettins attack closest hero then use Throw on closest hero and throw hero as far away as possible, etc), but you basically have to be willing to use it in good faith because a lot of very small choices (i.e, precisely which four spaces that ettin occupies) aren't clearly spelled out. On the other hand, stuff behind closed doors stays hidden, there are surprises instead of everything being spelled out in advance, not every battle is an objective race, etc.

Yeah, there is huge space for a beer and pretzel dungeon crawler game with a casual group. Trying massive darkness tomorrow because someone else I play with has exactly that problem!

App does sound pretty good just because it smooths out the game balance/tempo of the campaign.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

FunkMonkey posted:

So reading the info on Gloomhaven, there's seventeen classes, each with their own mini and ability deck? That's insane if true.

Why wouldn't it be true? Keep in mind you're meant to unlock them as you go. At the start, only six classes are available and you will unlock the rest as you play through and start retiring your characters. The game won't toss you off the deep end to browse through seventeen classes from the start.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Why wouldn't it be true? Keep in mind you're meant to unlock them as you go. At the start, only six classes are available and you will unlock the rest as you play through and start retiring your characters. The game won't toss you off the deep end to browse through seventeen classes from the start.

It's just an impressive amount of development and resources to achieve, that's all. That you progressively unlock them makes sense.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's also worth noting that classes in Gloomhaven operate in a very specific design space, akin to 4e D&D classes - this doesn't make the sheer variety any less impressive, but it's a lot easier to make abilities and such when you have a tight list of things abilities can and can't do, how many numbers a card should have on it, etc.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

FunkMonkey posted:

It's not quite true.

One of the classes has 2 minis.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FunkMonkey posted:

It's just an impressive amount of development and resources to achieve, that's all. That you progressively unlock them makes sense.

Gloomhaven is a half cubic metre of pure game, it better have seventeen classes.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

True enough, glad to know I'll be getting my money's worth. Hopefully the campaign I'm running should wrap up by the end of September too, so this could be a great thing to transition my group into.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 11, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god I'm so pumped ship already damnit

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

FunkMonkey posted:

True enough, glad to know I'll be getting my money's worth. Hopefully the campaign I'm running should wrap up by the end of September too, so this could be a great thing to transition my group into.

I've concluded that it's best with 3 players, though 4 is good. The unsupported 5 player rules are not good, do not recommend. They work, but play time just becomes too much.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

oh my god I'm so pumped ship already damnit

Yeah I'm almost pissed i found it.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I've concluded that it's best with 3 players, though 4 is good. The unsupported 5 player rules are not good, do not recommend. They work, but play time just becomes too much.

I appreciate the insight - my group is 5 players and myself, so I'll have to see about maybe carefully selecting some people.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lump Shaker posted:

Any strategy tips for Lewis & Clark? I have a hard time wrapping my mind around that game.

Most of the 1 power dudes are awful and just serve to clog the board. The 2s are hit and miss and almost all the 3s are hella.

So, you want to convert a couple of your starting 1s to 3s, pick up maybe 1 more dude, and then speed across with maybe 6 or 7 dudes if possible. Sometimes that doesn't work, though and you gotta string a bunch of bad dudes together into a working economy.

The most crucial things, I think, are:
  1. Buy as few (or zero) boats, if possible, and definitely stay away from the single Indian boat cause it's a trap
  2. Have a way to cross mountains that isn't paying full price for horses and using your starter dude. He can't make it across in one go and it's hella rough to do the first mountain in 2 parts.
  3. Don't worry too badly about falling back a space or two early, just don't do it across terrain lines.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

FunkMonkey posted:

I appreciate the insight - my group is 5 players and myself, so I'll have to see about maybe carefully selecting some people.

Don't get me wrong, 4 players is still the best dungeon crawl you can play with 4 people, but it's a bit flabby and there are some balance issues - classes that buff the entire party become too good. I'd say the 5 player rules are 'fine' if you can deal with the play time, but I'd suggest doing it infrequently rather than on the reg.

Due to the fact that 2 guys in my group travel for work and we have other commitments, we've agreed that if all 5 show we play something else and otherwise we play gloomhaven which is a compromise that works for us.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
So if I understand correctly it's totally viable to play several parties at once? What if people bail, wouldn't that kinda cause their legacy'd choices to be wasted in some way?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

So if I understand correctly it's totally viable to play several parties at once? What if people bail, wouldn't that kinda cause their legacy'd choices to be wasted in some way?

It's slightly weird (as some choices apply to each party and some apply globally), and some of the events kinda assume there is only one party ( I'm specifically thinking about the retirement events, a number of them say 'you recognise this guy from being in your party!. It's also a bit fiddly as you need to return your items to the central pool so the other party can get them instead of leaving them with your character.

Mechanically nah, it's totally workable and means some of the legacy choices (adding events to the deck, raising prosperity in the town, and enhancing cards) are going to be more impactful.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's a bit of a silly question but I don't want to get any more spoiled by bgg posts. Can multiple people play the same character, and can other people start to play one after it's retired?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

It's a bit of a silly question but I don't want to get any more spoiled by bgg posts. Can multiple people play the same character, and can other people start to play one after it's retired?

1) You cannot play the same class at the same time in the same party
2) You can play the same class at the same time in different parties
3) Once a class has been retired anyone can switch to playing that class.

Indeed, the game forces you to revisit classes you or someone else has played as well with how some of the career goals are structured.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The different characters are basically different "classes". You can have multiple different characters with the same class, just not at the same time. Suppose there was a class called a FightGood. If you have two different parties, each party might have a FightGood, or if a FightGood retires someone might choose to roll up a new FightGood instead of a different class. But you can't have two FightGoods going on an adventure together.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

The app still kiiinda want you to race since it starts dumping harsher stuff on you: it ended up kind of annoying us since we couldn't do most missions before it started doing stuff like DEAL 15 DAMAGE AMONG THE HEROES to us.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
So we're up to about 50-60 scenarios played in Gloomhaven now, all but one class unlocked, almost all the other bonus content unlocked, and pretty much able to 'finish' the campaign any time we feel like it now. I think I might be starting to get a bit burned out? I still kinda want to see the prosperity 8 and 9 items though..

I think moon class and many triangles are my favourites - very interesting playstyles on both of them, and the potential to be ridiculous powerhouses at higher levels.

Definitely looking forward to an expansion - I suspect by that point I will be ready to start afresh with a new campaign. I think the only game I've come close to putting this many hours into was the LotR LCG and I spent about 10x more on that game by the end.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Thanks guys, you're awesome. Can't wait for my box to arrive.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

What's the ideal player count for Gloomhaven? How much time does a scenario take to play through for beginners?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I like 3 player the most, but it really does work at any (official) player count very well. I'd say around 30 minutes per player per scenario at first, down to 20-25 minutes per player once you're familiar with the game.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Kerro posted:

I like 3 player the most, but it really does work at any (official) player count very well. I'd say around 30 minutes per player per scenario at first, down to 20-25 minutes per player once you're familiar with the game.

This is pretty accurate though we are a bit slower. Set up and pack down included we finish a 3 player game in 2 hour and a 4 player game in 3. That includes some drinking and shooting the breeze

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Afriscipio posted:

What's the ideal player count for Gloomhaven? How much time does a scenario take to play through for beginners?

The caveat on times given here is that you're not playing with APers. All the potential combinations make AP-prone players have fits, despite there being a lot of paired combos you want to use most of the time. Just had a 4 player game stretch out to 3 1/2 hours because of this.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Fwiw, I don't consider the people I was with that time to be APers, but our first game was 4 hours (for 4 people). A lot of looking things up (not helped by the fact that the ruleboko has some flaws) and just too many bits and pieces to move around that we weren't quite ready for. After ~30 scenarios, 4 players in 2 hours is the norm.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

itshappening.gif

https://m.imgur.com/a/zTuru

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is that preorder legit? Heard all the Amazon preorders are junk and I've never dealt with cardhaus. Only CSI

E - Gloomhaven preorder that is.

Tai fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 11, 2017

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

YES.

For all of the flaws and "late 2000s lovely FFG game design" TI3 has it's still a blast to play once or twice a year. They've grown a lot as designers so I'm pretty excited at what a 4th edition could bring.

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 11, 2017

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Radioactive Toy posted:

YES.

For all of the flaws and "late 2000s lovely FFG game design" TI3 has it's still a blast to play once or twice a year. They've grown a lot as designers so I'm pretty excited at what a 4th edition could bring.

Extrapolating from FFG's current business model, the base game will be a stripped down version of the previous edition that fits in a standard square box/Descent 2nd Ed sized box, and getting the new edition to include the stuff and complexity of TI3 would require buying a shitload of expansion packs.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

The Colonists is the deal if the day at Miniature Market right now. I believe this thread likes that game quite a bit.

Maybe 1 in 100 of their daily deals is something that someone might actively want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

VoodooXT posted:

Extrapolating from FFG's current business model, the base game will be a stripped down version of the previous edition that fits in a standard square box/Descent 2nd Ed sized box, and getting the new edition to include the stuff and complexity of TI3 would require buying a shitload of expansion packs.

They still do some classic board game access models... Like New Angeles and Eldritch Horror. My thought based on that is that actually they will streamline rules and cut a lot of chaff, but the game won't have enough variety of events / variable powers/ whatever else in the main box to hold up after a few plays until the first big box expansion (which is announced before the game's release) is out.

E: and the box will be the same length and width as the TI3 box but twice as thick, even though you can fit everything in a box half its size.

Radioactive Toy fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 11, 2017