Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
After looking at weapon laws for Rhode Island (where I'll be helping my cousin fix his home up), what exactly does concealed mean? I usually carry a pocket knife, and the wording of their laws on them is sort of confusing.

(3) No person shall wear or carry concealed upon his person, any of the above-mentioned instruments or weapons, or any razor, or knife of any description having a blade of more than three (3) inches in length measuring from the end of the handle where the blade is attached to the end of the blade, or other weapon of like kind or description.

If I just keep it clipped in my pocket, is that concealment?

I don't actually plan on bringing it with me to avoid potentially getting hosed over, but it left me curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Your pocket knife has a blade longer than 3in?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

nm posted:

Your pocket knife has a blade longer than 3in?

3.25. That's from fold to tip of the blade, but all of it isn't sharp.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
It sounds like the type of law where when you get busted for running 2.4 tons of mdma they will add it on to force you into a plea agreement.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xxEightxx posted:

It sounds like the type of law where when you get busted for running 2.4 tons of mdma they will add it on to force you into a plea agreement.

The only knife cases I had were either that or minorities who were claimed to be gang members or some bullshit. Oh and I got a machete case one or twice, but that's more of a *Australian accent* "that's not a knife" case.

Fun fact, in California carrying a concealed knitting needle can be charged as a felony punishable by 3 years in jail. (Cal. Pen. § 21310; People v. Rubalcava (2000) 23 Cal.4th 322, 330)

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Fun fact: when I was in middle school I found a machete in a dump. I grabbed it to go hack up bushes at my friend's house, but it didn't fit in my backpack. Before I made it more than a block 7 patrol cars showed (not all at once, it must have been a slow day) up and I got the whole 'Get on the ground and don't move' treatment with several guns pointed at me. After about half an hour they decided I wasn't going to murder someone and let me leave, I even got to keep it!

Gave me a healthy fear of the police.

e: Not that I blame them for being alarmed by a kid with a machete in that area.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 11, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

The only knife cases I had were either that or minorities who were claimed to be gang members or some bullshit. Oh and I got a machete case one or twice, but that's more of a *Australian accent* "that's not a knife" case.

Fun fact, in California carrying a concealed knitting needle can be charged as a felony punishable by 3 years in jail. (Cal. Pen. § 21310; People v. Rubalcava (2000) 23 Cal.4th 322, 330)

Why not? Seems such rules should apply to everything, guns and things that look like guns that you can threaten with, knives, things that look like knives or function like knives and any and all sharp pieces of metal, axes, garden shears etc. What's the point of legislation if it doesn't apply as much as possible as a general principle to be followed?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Why not? Seems such rules should apply to everything, guns and things that look like guns that you can threaten with, knives, things that look like knives or function like knives and any and all sharp pieces of metal, axes, garden shears etc. What's the point of legislation if it doesn't apply as much as possible as a general principle to be followed?
Because they're loving knitting needles?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Because they're loving knitting needles?

Hey, don't you bring your common sense into this. Grandma may be a Crip, you don't know.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I wonder if anyone has ever sharpened a knitting needle to use as a plausibly deniable stiletto. Craft lady stab a bitch, then use the knitting to clean up the blood.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 11, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hey, don't you bring your common sense into this. Grandma may be a Crip, you don't know.

My grandma doesnt have to take poo poo from Bernice Druthers on Bingo night cause she got big pokey with her. Bernice knows whats up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

People shouldn't be allowed to have pencils and pens.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is ridiculous. Why are we coming up with overly broad laws to use as a pretense to lock up "the wrong kinds of people"? Just make it illegal to exist without police approval and let cops shoot whoever they don't like for whatever reason. Simple.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
What's she gonna do, knit an Afghan?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

KillHour posted:

This is ridiculous. Why are we coming up with overly broad laws to use as a pretense to lock up "the wrong kinds of people"? Just make it illegal to exist without police approval and let cops shoot whoever they don't like for whatever reason. Simple.

Hopefully they'll just shoot people but not say hurtful things to them, which would be way worse.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

What's she gonna do, knit an Afghan?

Knit in Afghanistan

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Fun fact: when I was in middle school I found a machete in a dump. I grabbed it to go hack up bushes at my friend's house, but it didn't fit in my backpack. Before I made it more than a block 7 patrol cars showed (not all at once, it must have been a slow day) up and I got the whole 'Get on the ground and don't move' treatment with several guns pointed at me. After about half an hour they decided I wasn't going to murder someone and let me leave, I even got to keep it!

Gave me a healthy fear of the police.

e: Not that I blame them for being alarmed by a kid with a machete in that area.

the combination of "send 7 cop cars to jump a middle schooler" and "let the middle schooler walk away with a machete" is so american I could cry :911:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

spacetoaster posted:

People shouldn't be allowed to have pencils and pens.

Over here in Australia there's a famous legal case from the early 90s where someone was arrested for carrying a weapon because he was wearing a studded belt that he could, in theory, have taken off and hit someone with. He did eventually win on appeal, if that makes you feel any better about the state of the world.

(And yes, if you were wondering, it was a pretty blatant case of the cops harassing a member of a minority; he was dressed in gay counterculture style.)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thuryl posted:

Over here in Australia there's a famous legal case from the early 90s where someone was arrested for carrying a weapon because he was wearing a studded belt that he could, in theory, have taken off and hit someone with. He did eventually win on appeal, if that makes you feel any better about the state of the world.

(And yes, if you were wondering, it was a pretty blatant case of the cops harassing a member of a minority; he was dressed in gay counterculture style.)

It's what makes me nervous when people want new laws passed that they assure us "will only be used in good ways".

Like hate speech laws. I still haven't gotten an answer back from my kid's school on the definition of hate (they have a program against "hate" but refuse to tell anyone what hate actually means). The reality (I suspect) is that it means whatever they want it to mean when they want it to mean it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

spacetoaster posted:

It's what makes me nervous when people want new laws passed that they assure us "will only be used in good ways".

Like hate speech laws. I still haven't gotten an answer back from my kid's school on the definition of hate (they have a program against "hate" but refuse to tell anyone what hate actually means). The reality (I suspect) is that it means whatever they want it to mean when they want it to mean it.

The good news is arbitrary rules are easily challenged if you come up on the wrong side of it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

The good news is arbitrary rules are easily challenged if you come up on the wrong side of it.

Sure, but you've got to put in the time and effort to challenge it once it goes wrong for you. A lot of people don't have the knowledge/experience to do that.

I personally am hoping the mere fact that I'm bugging them about it causes them to think about it a bit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

That's a policy not a law .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also jfc arguing with a school over the definition of "hate". guy come on .

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

euphronius posted:

That's a policy not a law .

Correct. I was a little disjointed there. Two separate things.

euphronius posted:

Also jfc arguing with a school over the definition of "hate". guy come on .

Asking the school what something means in a policy isn't arguing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My kid's last school had an illegal policy, which impacted her. Even informing them that the actual SCOTUS had ruled clearly on it took many many rounds to resolve. I can't imagine how it would have gone if there hadn't been such a bright line.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Correct. I was a little disjointed there. Two separate things.

Asking the school what something means in a policy isn't arguing.

You know what hate means lol. The whole stance is argumentative and fight-picking.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

You know what hate means lol. The whole stance is argumentative and fight-picking.

I know what "hate" means - I'm also entitled to know whether the people who are going to allege "hate" know what it means.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

My kid's last school had an illegal policy, which impacted her. Even informing them that the actual SCOTUS had ruled clearly on it took many many rounds to resolve. I can't imagine how it would have gone if there hadn't been such a bright line.

What was the alleged unlawful policy and scotus citation

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

euphronius posted:

I actually don't. Can you please tell me?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I mostly work on law enforcement stuff, but I had review some proposed school policies and they are all sorts of hosed up before the lawyers get ahold of them.
Undefined words that cause actual punishment can be a huge factor.
Lots of restrictions without religious and health/ada exemptions, etc. I can easily see smaller or poorer districts bypassing legal review or hiring poo poo outside counsel and imposing this stuff.
In many cases the policies are in effect law (as they're actually regulations) as well.

My poo poo is attorney-client but some of it is as simple as "students shall not wear hats indoors" without any religious exemption with the belief that school administrators and teachers will all be reasonable in appling to to jewish, sihk, muslim, etc students. Lol.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They definitely ignore labor counsel all the time hahah.

In those states with public unions .

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Pretty sure one kid yelling "I hate you" at another one isn't hate speech. Unless it is, in which case the hate speech rules apply.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

nm posted:

I mostly work on law enforcement stuff, but I had review some proposed school policies and they are all sorts of hosed up before the lawyers get ahold of them.
Undefined words that cause actual punishment can be a huge factor.
Lots of restrictions without religious and health/ada exemptions, etc. I can easily see smaller or poorer districts bypassing legal review or hiring poo poo outside counsel and imposing this stuff.
In many cases the policies are in effect law (as they're actually regulations) as well.

My poo poo is attorney-client but some of it is as simple as "students shall not wear hats indoors" without any religious exemption with the belief that school administrators and teachers will all be reasonable in appling to to jewish, sihk, muslim, etc students. Lol.

This is the reason I'm asking the school about defining what "hate" means.

The policy/regulation also has mandatory meetings with the kids (monthly), weekly counseling in the classroom, and every kid had to sign a thing (a kid contract) that you won't "hate" anyone. And signs all over the school.

All of it organized and run by an outside NGO.

It's kinda frustrating to ask a simple question and have administrators respond with "Why won't you blindly support an initiative against hate? You don't like hate, do you? You nasty person."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You want a shitshow of violation/definition/enforcement language? Try reading proposed amendments to HOA policies that the board wrote itself.

"And no more 'tacky' yard decorations, Sharon."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

euphronius posted:

What was the alleged unlawful policy and scotus citation

Requiring the recitation of the pledge of allegiance. My daughter didn't feel comfortable doing it because she's not American.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_State_Board_of_Education_v._Barnette

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Requiring the recitation of the pledge of allegiance. My daughter didn't feel comfortable doing it because she's not American.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_State_Board_of_Education_v._Barnette

Astounding a school tried to get away with that in 2017.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

euphronius posted:

Astounding a school tried to get away with that in 2017.

Yeah, I was surprised!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

My kid's school has a ton of international students and it would be ultra weird to me if any of them did anything other than stand silently while the pledge was done.

And the standing should be by choice too, it's just a normal respectful thing to do ( I at least stand in other countries when their anthem plays).

We did have a legal thing happen in that we had a female muslim, who wore a burka, as a teacher. She refused to speak/interact with men (even fathers of her students some of whom only had fathers). She doesn't work for the school system anymore so I am curious as to what exactly happened.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spacetoaster posted:

My kid's school has a ton of international students and it would be ultra weird to me if any of them did anything other than stand silently while the pledge was done.

Yeah, when the teacher rebuffed me and I went to the vice-principal, I got "it's not school policy to require it, but individual teachers choose how to run their classrooms". I suspect that the teacher is back to doing it now that That Kid with That Parent is gone from the school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, when the teacher rebuffed me and I went to the vice-principal, I got "it's not school policy to require it, but individual teachers choose how to run their classrooms". I suspect that the teacher is back to doing it now that That Kid with That Parent is gone from the school.

Lol at the vice principal just going :shrug: