Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Windstream is all I can get here. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
we sometimes get dinner at the applebee's near my sister when we drop her off for college. it's not amazing but my mom likes it there a lot and the people who work there are good :unsmith: i wouldn't even place it in top 10 worst places i've eaten but then again i've never compiled such a list

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Stone Cold executive now stone cold dead.

What the gently caress was this guy up to?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sounds like a drug fueled rampage that stopped his heart. Hmmm...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I feel like they missed a great opportunity for a headline.

Massage Envy Exec has Unhappy Ending

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Haifisch posted:

And instead of building more capacity, internet providers want to cap how much bandwidth we use instead. :capitalism:

Canada is worse in every way as far as telecoms go.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I know nothing of Windstream or Frontier but I refuse to believe anyone is as bad as Time Warner. It cannot be so. Verizon is no paragon of anything but when I moved and made an appointment and they just showed up roughly when they said they would and everything worked the first time I was legitimately confused.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Heh, Canadians were excited about the prospect of Verizon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pangstrom posted:

I know nothing of Windstream or Frontier but I refuse to believe anyone is as bad as Time Warner.
*cough* Comcast *cough*.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

Heh, Canadians were excited about the prospect of Verizon

Yikes, so much for the northern utopia.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

*cough* Comcast *cough*.

I had a good experience with Comcast in California, but it was their "business class" thing. They rolled competent techs on 24 hours notice, replaced hardware without argument, etc.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Time Warner is adequate if the alternative is getting locked into a contract with Frontier for half the speed at the same price.

Edit: Guess who I chose.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Professor Shark posted:

SaskTel is pretty good. It's just limited to one province.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Has Vince McMahon gone too far?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Professor Shark posted:

The Federal Government announced a few years ago an initiative to supply broadband in rural and northern areas. The minimum speed ( which means they won't make any effort to do any better, I'm sure) would be 5mb.

Now I had a 5MB DSL about 3 or 4 years ago and it was enough to stream Netflix in HD but if someone else started downloading then things went bad really quick.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/digitalmusicnws/status/895766957697511424

The headline is somewhat misleading, but basically if shareholders don't vote to give SoundCloud more money tomorrow the company is going to go into a death spiral very fast.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's a weird thing to have shareholders vote on. I'd love a peek at that subscription agreement.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

BexGu posted:

Basically yes. For people younger then 30 I can't described how big Sears was for being able to buy anything and everything through the mail with the yearly Sears Catalog since 1883. From the cheapest toy to a full on house everything was in the Sear Catalog and all it took was a check in the mail and waiting 4 to 6 weeks. Sears had the infrastructure, the payroll system, and instead focused on the physical instead of going digital.
The only thing I remember from How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying is the bit about knowing what you're actually selling. The example given was that railroad companies thought they were selling travel by rail when they were actually selling fast and efficient movement of people and cargo, and if they had realized that they would own the major airlines. It seems to me like if Sears knew what the catalog really was, they would have crowded Amazon out of the market before Amazon branched out from books.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'd like to submit the company I work for - a lovely telecom called Windstream - for your review:

1. $1.9 billion in debt due by 2019-2020
2. An elimination of their (admittedly quite high) dividend last week, resulting in a 40% drop in the share price.
3. A few hundred layoffs in July, with lots of rumors today from a few management sources of another 1000 layoffs companywide that may begin today.
4. Recent questionable acquisitions (Earthlink).

I poo poo you not, about a week before the 350 layoffs were announced in July, the CEO posted a blog to our intranet home page about his recent summer vacation in the French Alps.

You must not be very high up to post about your company and bad mouth them. Sorry about ur career trajectory. :(

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if applebees went all health food or gourmet it would recover.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Jastiger posted:

Nah. Once an establishment is known for catering to lowbrow meatheads, the elite(or wannabe elite) would never in a zillion years eat there no matter how much the food improved. That's why McDonalds continues to fumble and bumble its way along, trying to go upscale and endlessly failing.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JnnyThndrs posted:

Nah. Once an establishment is known for catering to lowbrow meatheads, the elite(or wannabe elite) would never in a zillion years eat there no matter how much the food improved. That's why McDonalds continues to fumble and bumble its way along, trying to go upscale and endlessly failing.

Its not so much attracting "elite" customers, its more about making it palatable at all. Right now if I want to take my family out I can spend about as much money at Red Robbin and get a decent burger with bottomless fries. Or I can even go to a local join that has nice tacos or whatever.

Applebees just isn't unique or special or delicious enough to justify going there. But if it was a niche place where I knew I was getting something specific for that price instead of Generic_Chicken_Dish_01, I'd maybe consider going there since its relatively cheap and would have decent food at that point. They need to find a niche or die.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Jastiger posted:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/shop/categoryshowcase3.aspx?pageid=1055431&navid=moreww

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of wondered for a while if Sears could have rebranded itself as a Home Depot/Lowe's style home improvement superstore, plus an auto department. It'd be in keeping with some of their stuff, but they could ditch jewelry, most electronics, clothing, home goods, etc. Focus on the home improvement/construction side of things, it sort of takes them out of competition with Amazon and Walmart. I guess a question might be if cutting out several departments that didn't matter in that model would have given them the floor space or the room to add on for larger lumber, plumbing, masonry, etc. materials.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of wondered for a while if Sears could have rebranded itself as a Home Depot/Lowe's style home improvement superstore, plus an auto department. It'd be in keeping with some of their stuff, but they could ditch jewelry, most electronics, clothing, home goods, etc. Focus on the home improvement/construction side of things, it sort of takes them out of competition with Amazon and Walmart. I guess a question might be if cutting out several departments that didn't matter in that model would have given them the floor space or the room to add on for larger lumber, plumbing, masonry, etc. materials.

They have dedicated appliance stores. It's pretty weird.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think they'd have a hard time because a lot of their stores are two-story, and escalators/elevators + heavy/bulky items don't really work. I guess they could try to segregate items and put small items upstairs, but that still screws up people with big lists of stuff.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone have any local places you're pretty sure are fronts?
There are a lot of stereotypes about New Jersey that are outdated or plain ol' untrue, but stores, restaurants, and other businesses as Mafia fronts are definitely a real thing. When I was a kid, we passed by a place called Annie's while driving to Blockbuster Video that we were sure was some kind of mob front.

In NYC, there are still remnants of Mafia-connected businesses. There was a place in Queens that was busted, and the owner was arrested. My friend first moved to Staten Island when she moved to the city and she told me about an Italian restaurant there that got raided by the FBI just five minutes after she left. There are also mob-connected elements to a popular South Brooklyn pizzeria known for its Sicilian slices and a copycat place in Staten Island. It got ugly last summer when the Brooklyn owner was shot and killed outside his home. The arrested suspect is a Hispanic heroin addict living in a different part of the area, but he isn't talking, so it's not a stretch to think he was a hitman with a very convenient background.

AlmightyBob posted:

Century Link spent a lot of money buying the naming rights for the seahawks stadium and everyone just calls it the clink
The Prudential Center in Newark is nicknamed "The Rock" because that's the company's logo. It also helps that it's a badass name for an arena. Likewise, everybody in San Jose called the SAP Center "The Shark Tank."

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/digitalmusicnws/status/895766957697511424

The headline is somewhat misleading, but basically if shareholders don't vote to give SoundCloud more money tomorrow the company is going to go into a death spiral very fast.
I already saved one song off of Soundcloud. Post stuff to save, there's a website where you can put in the URL and get it downloaded in an MP3 format.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never understood how Soundcloud worked. Why not just post your music to Bandcamp?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

The only thing I remember from How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying is the bit about knowing what you're actually selling. The example given was that railroad companies thought they were selling travel by rail when they were actually selling fast and efficient movement of people and cargo, and if they had realized that they would own the major airlines. It seems to me like if Sears knew what the catalog really was, they would have crowded Amazon out of the market before Amazon branched out from books.

Seems as good of a chance as any to remind everyone that back in 2000 Netflix offered to sell itself to Blockbuster for $50 million. Blockbuster saw no value in offering customers a way to watch movies without visiting their stores.

Years later, Netflix realized that they were not selling movie rentals by mail, they were selling the convenience of watching movies without leaving home. Netflix's streaming service was born and now other media companies are stumbling over themselves trying to keep up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

Sears owned the appliance business. Even though Kenmores were just rebranded models, they also had repair and installation services. I’m pretty sure that stupid Sears air conditioning commercial ran for 20 years. You can still find homes that have all Kenmore appliances.

They dominated that market so much that their commercials in the 90’s tried to remind you that, “oh yeah, we sell soft stuff too.”

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I already saved one song off of Soundcloud. Post stuff to save, there's a website where you can put in the URL and get it downloaded in an MP3 format.

https://soundcloud.com/chestermoistmuffins/work-through-the-fire-and-the-flames

E: They might as well be a butt, but that breaks the link.

Double Punctuation has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Aug 11, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
https://soundcloud.com/sudsmcfuddle/dmx-hair-club?in=queen-roger/sets/remixed-lisa-songs

How can you post that and not the most important one? :colbert:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Doggles posted:

Seems as good of a chance as any to remind everyone that back in 2000 Netflix offered to sell itself to Blockbuster for $50 million. Blockbuster saw no value in offering customers a way to watch movies without visiting their stores.

Years later, Netflix realized that they were not selling movie rentals by mail, they were selling the convenience of watching movies without leaving home. Netflix's streaming service was born and now other media companies are stumbling over themselves trying to keep up.

Given the name "Netflix" I sorta assumed that they'd always had plans for online streaming and that the mail subscriptions were just a stopgap.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At the time just about every e business had some sort of internet name to differentiate from brick and mortar.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Applebees isn't really that bad and they exist to provide a place to get half price appetizers after 11 when my group of friends are done with whatever that night

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Applebee's food isn't much to write home about, but their location in the part of Brooklyn that I used to live in had the best prices for drinks. You could get certain beers for $3 during happy hour, they came in pours that were larger than a pint, and happy hour on Sunday-Thursday lasted from 12pm to closing time. You can get better beer and booze at other places, but in terms of cheap drinking, that place is king.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I never understood how Soundcloud worked. Why not just post your music to Bandcamp?
I think that's what more people have been doing anyway, even before Soundcloud was in deep poo poo. It was a big place for mixtapes but now they'll have to put that elsewhere.
Well, I wasn't gonna say which song I snatched, but you managed to post it.

Here's the website, go nuts if it's official that Soundcloud is ready to eat it. But feel free to demand that I take this down if it breaks :filez: rules.

get that OUT of my face has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Aug 11, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

How Rude posted:

Applebees isn't really that bad and they exist to provide a place to get half price appetizers after 11 when my group of friends are done with whatever that night

You know that poo poo is just the same frozen crap you buy in a grocery store right? I had a girlfriend in college that waitressed at an Applebees and even back then literally everything was microwaved. Even steaks and burgers were brought in frozen, microwaved, and then seared on a griddle (the only used kitchen appliance). Some dishes like the asian rice bowl just came all done up in a big frozen bag.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Sears owned the appliance business. Even though Kenmores were just rebranded models, they also had repair and installation services. I’m pretty sure that stupid Sears air conditioning commercial ran for 20 years. You can still find homes that have all Kenmore appliances.

They dominated that market so much that their commercials in the 90’s tried to remind you that, “oh yeah, we sell soft stuff too.”

My grandparent's house has all Kenmore appliances. They were all bought in the last 5 years. With extended warranty plans.

I am pretty sure they are why Sears is still alive today.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Progressive JPEG”" post="“475250991”"]
Given the name “Netflix” I sorta assumed that they’d always had plans for online streaming and that the mail subscriptions were just a stopgap.
[/quote]

Everyone knew that was the eventual idea, but no one knew when it would happen. Blockbuster and Enron got together at one point to sell streaming video. I think Enron thought it would sell bandwidth in much the same way it sold energy. It involved lots of hype and grand plans that never did anything. There were other sites that tried making content and streaming it over the web, but no one wanted to watch TV on their desktop computers.

And even though Netflix finally figured out the tech, it was mostly garbage content for the first couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

There was chat upthread about knowing what you're selling, and Enron's million different business ideas that never went anywhere like the broadband thing were 100% caused by not having a loving clue what they were selling.