Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

VikingofRock posted:

You know I don't know why I never thought of getting a book on this. Thanks for the rec!

e: lol why is this book $100

yeah it's expensive, i haven't gotten far enough to recommend it. there are probably others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
people who just edit poo poo until it compiles/runs and then call themselves a developer are subhuman trash and deserve a bullet in the head and to be buried in a mass grave.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
:siren: :siren: RUST IDE UPDATE :siren: :siren:

it turns out I thought RLS sucked because it was not working at all

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

:siren: :siren: RUST IDE UPDATE :siren: :siren:

it turns out I thought RLS sucked because it was not working at all

well, that's fairly reasonable, if anything :v:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

people who just edit poo poo until it compiles/runs and then call themselves a developer are subhuman trash and deserve a bullet in the head and to be buried in a mass grave.

that seems a little harsh!!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

eschaton posted:

someone needs to combine message queues with document databases with blockchains

I bet someone like tef or MononcQc could come up with a combined pitch for such a terrible piece of software that could easily raise $texas in angel & VC investment, followed by a nine figgy buyout by MS or Oracle or CA or someone

um the implementation doesn't matter or the technical skills, it's if you know the right people to ask for money

then it goes a little something like

slide 1. the problem

a bunch of stuff on one side is talking to a bunch of stuff, but it is a mess, oh no

and not everything talks to everything else

slide 2. the dream

now they all talk to one point, represented as a cloud

slide 3. the pitch

same as slide 2, but the startup logo is on the cloud, and you explain why you have some magic ingredient that your competitors don't have, and maybe some whacky sub-plot that won't work long term but might attract a bunch of press and attention your way

and the buyouts aren't that much unless you're a high-status company in the first place, companies will pay more for user base, maybe adoption is harder than hiring

so like

slide 1: people need to get from place to place but take all of these different things
slide 2: what if they could take one thing for every journey, ad-hoc
slide 3: uber logo

slide 1: developers struggle to put software into production, and there is a lot of amazon lock in
slide 2: what if they could use one tool to handle ci, cd and ensure local and production environments run the same, and maybe not use amazon
slide 3: docker logo

you aren't selling investors a technology, you're selling them a market you plan to control

you sell the technology to tech journalists

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

apple 2 high resolution graphics are loving bizarre thanks to woz being a mad genius

here's the bitmap memory layout

a byte defines 3.5 pixels. the high bit selects one of two "palettes" by delaying the pixel signal by half a pixel clock, changing the phase of the NTSC signal so that the monitor will show different colors. oh and to make things even more complicated, bits 6-0 of the pixel are drawn in reverse order.

oh god how am i going to emulate this

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

did someone from this thread link me to http://emulator101.com/ ? it took me about three days but I finally got the diagnostic binary to pass.

if you want to learn C and low-level systems at the same time, you could do worse than bodging together a big ol' spaghetti-code 8080 emulator and making it run a binary compiled from assembly code written in 1980

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

apple 2 high resolution graphics are loving bizarre thanks to woz being a mad genius

here's the bitmap memory layout

a byte defines 3.5 pixels. the high bit selects one of two "palettes" by delaying the pixel signal by half a pixel clock, changing the phase of the NTSC signal so that the monitor will show different colors. oh and to make things even more complicated, bits 6-0 of the pixel are drawn in reverse order.

oh god how am i going to emulate this

just wait til you get to Double Hi-Res which is a lot like that but also involves bank switching

DHR was a hack for the Apple /// that someone realized could be added to the Apple //e vey easily and all rev B and later //e systems can do it with an enhanced 80 column card installed, I should ask around and see if I can find out who

because really, who doesn't want 560×192 monochrome or 160×192 16-color graphics on a 4×3 screen?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

did someone from this thread link me to http://emulator101.com/ ? it took me about three days but I finally got the diagnostic binary to pass.

if you want to learn C and low-level systems at the same time, you could do worse than bodging together a big ol' spaghetti-code 8080 emulator and making it run a binary compiled from assembly code written in 1980

the original Apple Monitor was assembled by hand by Woz because they couldn’t afford the computer time. that’s why the Apple 2 monitor program includes a super-basic assembler too. he used that to write integer basic.

Applesoft BASIC was adapted from Microsoft’s source code via a 110 baud teletype link to a computer center... who promptly erased all their backups due to equipment failure so they had to start over on an IMSAI that one of the employees brought from home

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

[quote="“eschaton”" post="“475253275”"]
just wait til you get to Double Hi-Res which is a lot like that but also involves bank switching

DHR was a hack for the Apple /// that someone realized could be added to the Apple //e vey easily and all rev B and later //e systems can do it with an enhanced 80 column card installed, I should ask around and see if I can find out who

because really, who doesn’t want 560×192 monochrome or 160×192 16-color graphics on a 4×3 screen?
[/quote]

Atari ST medium resolution is something stupid like 640x200 4-color that results in everything just being squished and unreadable on a TV

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

raminasi posted:

that seems a little harsh!!

Fine they can have a cigarette first and an individual (unmarked) grave

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jony neuemonic posted:

so, i want to dip a toe into embedded dev and see if it's something i want to pursue but coming from web-land it looks kind of impenetrable. is learn some C and get an arduino a good way to go?

Arduinos are by default programmed in sort of babbys first C++, but yeah, that's not a bad route to go down; there will at least be lots of help/documentation out there.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah it's expensive, i haven't gotten far enough to recommend it. there are probably others.

I would go as far to say that I wouldn't hire a person who claims they are a Linux programmer if they don't own that book.

It's good.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

feedmegin posted:

Arduinos are by default programmed in sort of babbys first C++, but yeah, that's not a bad route to go down; there will at least be lots of help/documentation out there.

I'm currently writing a Rust arduino library! At the moment there are some resources for generic cortex-m programming which I'm adapting to be arduino specific (zero and duo only), gently caress AVR

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

fritz posted:

ive been having to use bazel to build tensorflow this week and idk why they cant just use cmake like adults

because cmake is terrible

actually I haven't used cmake in forever, but isn't it only for compiling c++? bazel lets you use the same build system for generating code from your IDL, or fetching a dependency from github, or your stupid one-off python script and it's all totally reproducible no matter what machine / os you're running the build on / what packages you have installed etc.

there's certainly other build systems like it, but I've never had issues with bazel so I've seen no reason to switch.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tef posted:

so like

slide 1: people need to get from place to place but take all of these different things
slide 2: what if they could take one thing for every journey, ad-hoc
slide 3: uber logo

slide 1: developers struggle to put software into production, and there is a lot of amazon lock in
slide 2: what if they could use one tool to handle ci, cd and ensure local and production environments run the same, and maybe not use amazon
slide 3: docker logo

you aren't selling investors a technology, you're selling them a market you plan to control

you sell the technology to tech journalists
ride-sharing but for servers (aka SETI at home but for docker poo poo)

slide 1: the cloud is controlled by too few actors, and people have spare computing resources
slide 2: what if you could finance buying a fancier laptop by running containers for a fee during off-hours
slide 3: <toaster logo>
slide 4: surge price and rigs catching on fire

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MononcQc posted:

slide 1: the cloud is controlled by too few actors, and people have spare computing resources
slide 2: what if you could finance buying a fancier laptop by running containers for a fee during off-hours

call it ubernetes

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

so you're saying i can make a ton of money from home, and all I have to do is install one .exe? never heard that pitch before

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

get better geo-proximity than any other service. Your customer might even be running your software for you. No lower latencies possible.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

MononcQc posted:

actually clever only because you can probably pay the type of person that would run this less than the energy cost they're using. and you only need to undercut by a small margin.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

leper khan posted:

actually clever only because you can probably pay the type of person that would run this less than the energy cost they're using. and you only need to undercut by a small margin.

gamify it so that users who provide more stable/performant hosts unlock achievements and ranks. pay them a bit more. sell their cpu time at a higher service tier.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the true benefit of this product is that it may become more interesting for people than mining bitcoins and can therefore kill the bitcoin economy

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

feedmegin posted:

:toot: thanks! i assume i'll want to check out c++ at some point too, so that sounds fine.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah okay i should get an arduino, that sounds like fun.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
whats the real C toolchain look like for arduino, is it a huge pain to get around their babby C

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

whats the real C toolchain look like for arduino, is it a huge pain to get around their babby C

all .c and .h files in one folder

cd into said folder

gcc *.c

only text editor allowed is vi

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it's just an avr so just use avr-gcc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also probably some sort of newlib because you'll need to write your own linker script and assembly-language CRT otherwise

alternatively use a board with a loving Cortex-M on it because come the gently caress on

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

my software engineering course had us programming lego mindstorms...in java

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

carry on then posted:

school taught me assembly on an HCS12

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

carry on then posted:

better than the graphical shitpiece it defaults to

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Arcsech posted:

my first programming lang was the old-school drag-and-drop lego bricks interface for the older non-nxt mindstorms. :v:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Arcsech posted:

something like a third of the documented apis were either wrong or not implemented

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

also probably some sort of newlib because you'll need to write your own linker script and assembly-language CRT otherwise

alternatively use a board with a loving Cortex-M on it because come the gently caress on

seriously this

if you want to make it really loving simple get a board supported by arm mbed. then you get to use keil online for free

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
Are you guys kidding me it's an AVR they have an IDE for it. You don't have to gently caress around with linker scripts at all.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You shouldn't have to gently caress around with AVR ever, period.

It has colored pointers so you have to use nonstandard C to program it.

Microchip bought Atmel then jacked all their prices so it isn't even cost competitive with Cortex-M any more.

Cortex-M is literally always the superior choice in all circumstances except for legacy designs.

Look, here's an ARM linker script totally free of charge:

https://paste.jvnv.net/view/0PUCV

now get on with your life.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

carry on then posted:

pretty sure a robotics class I took as a kid had us programming in some kind of Visual Basic

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

aspx to mvc conversion status: after an initial burst of inspiration the offshore team have reverted back to cramming poo poo into hidden form fields as a string then parsing them by reading the request data manually. some of these fields contained multiple objects l separated by pipes to try and pass a collection because just googling "mvc passing a dynamic list" or just copying the implementation I had already put together was too hard or something idk.

time for another two hour "this is what the M in Mvc stands for webex" I think

also raw javascript all over the place in tyool 2017, not even jquery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
[quote="“Sapozhnik”" post="“475263677”"]
Cortex-M is literally always the superior choice in all circumstances except for legacy designs.

Look, here’s an ARM linker script totally free of charge:

https://paste.jvnv.net/view/0PUCV

now get on with your life
[/quote]

wholly missing the point about arduinos accessibility to newbies, idk where you’re jamming ‘design’ into this convo tbh

• Locked thread