Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MeruFM posted:

I got complaints for my car being the only non-gray/white/black car in the neighborhood and that it's too unsafe.

A few houses down, there's someone with 3 gray prius (priii?) and a gray 911 that I've only ever seen parked in the garage.

Homeowners association stuff? or just grumpy old assholes?

I would read whoever tried to complain about my cars the loving riot act and tell them to get the gently caress off my land and not even think about complaining about my cars (or even anything on my property, period) again if anyone tried this here, and I live in a so-called communist country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Wibla posted:

Homeowners association stuff? or just grumpy old assholes?

I would read whoever tried to complain about my cars the loving riot act and tell them to get the gently caress off my land and not even think about complaining about my cars (or even anything on my property, period) again if anyone tried this here, and I live in a so-called communist country.

Niven posted:

What exactly is the complaint here?

This is documented a few hundred pages back, but I had neighbors call the township and claim my cars were abandoned. All tagged, registered, and insured. They ONLY tagged the two miatas. My WRX was left alone (silver wagon).

Thankfully I happened to go home that day for lunch (I NEVER DO THIS) and called the township on the spot and prevented a tow. Neighbors are seriously awful.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

They didn't even bother checking the registration and contact you first? :psyduck:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Niven posted:

What exactly is the complaint here?

edit: a house down the road has two brand new CRVs, I do kind of want to complain about how incredibly boring that is

The note said: "please don't park too close to driveway. Is this your 2nd car??? A person with a disability lives here" With three question marks

I was a good 2 feet or so away from the driveway... the funny bit is that this person parks in an off street garage, and the town has no permits or limits on how many vehicles you can park. The 2nd car thing was weird and seemed passive aggressive to me. The part about anybody having disability is just made up.... I know all three tenants in the building...

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 17, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

you know your neighbors well enough to know that sort of health information about them????

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

you know your neighbors well enough to know that sort of health information about them????

Yeah, I know the landlord. None of the people in that house even park on street (they have a lot) so it really just doesn't make any sense.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
I don't have any lovely neighbor related car stories to contribute but I do have a question about my 1990 NA..

I'm getting a hesitation in the throttle between 2-3k rpm when the car is cold/warming up, once it's warm it drives fine. What should I be looking for? I'm guessing it's some sensor making GBS threads the bed but I'm sure someone here has some sage wisdom that can clue me in a bit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? If it's still in open loop it's not using the o2 sensor feedback yet so it's running off whatever the tables say to fuel to. If there's a leak with more or less air than expected, it could cause it to run poorly.

When is the last time you did tune up stuff? Plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc.?

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
I have not checked for a vacuum leak, plugs and wires were done 2 years ago when I bought the car. Fuel filter could be ancient, I haven't touched it since I've had the car, if it were plugged up wouldn't it be an issue at all times? I googled around a bit and saw some people describing a similar set of symptoms claim replacing the O2 sensor made it go away even though it should have no impact like you described.

Should I try disconnecting the O2 sensor and seeing if it does anything beyond making it run rich? If it doesn't do anything I'll have atleast narrowed it down a little bit.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Replace the fuel filter first. Not sure how easy it is on NAs, but if it's not hard and is inexpensive it could fix your issue.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's in the passenger side wheel well behind a plastic cover. Two bolts and maybe a hose clamp? Can't remember.

The part is like $20 and it's fairly easy to install.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What year is your car? Most of the 96+ stuff is easy mode to diagnose with OBD II, but it doesn't sound like you're getting a code anyway. What's your fuel mileage like? Usually bad o2 sensors tank mileage.

I asked about general maintenance items to get an idea of where it's at. It doesn't sound like a fuel filter, but if it hasn't been done then it can't hurt.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Is this an appearance package NC? I can't tell from the photos

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...odelCode1=MIATA

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
The car is a 1990, no OBD II. I'll grab a fuel filter and see if I can get that knocked out. As for actual fuel mileage, I can't say because if I put more than 1000 miles a year on the car I might keep track, I don't think I've even averaged 1 drive per month this year so I haven't even filled up once in the last 4-5 months.

It's me, the guy who abuses his Miata by leaving it in the garage 355 days a year.

Upon further examination this morning the hesitation was still present when cold/warming up but is not present at all in 1st gear at any rpm. In the other gears it only occurs between 3-4k rpm instead of the 2k+ that I initially reported. If I get above 4k it goes away and within about 1 minute of actual driving it doesn't occur again. I took it out for lunch yesterday to see if I could get it to repeat and everything was normal despite it having sat for 5 hours after the initial drive in the morning.

Is this just a case of "it's a 27 year old car, it has some quirks"?

SpaceBanditos fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 21, 2017

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

blk posted:

That looks fuckin nice... I wish my nc looked like this

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SpaceBanditos posted:

The car is a 1990, no OBD II. I'll grab a fuel filter and see if I can get that knocked out. As for actual fuel mileage, I can't say because if I put more than 1000 miles a year on the car I might keep track, I don't think I've even averaged 1 drive per month this year so I haven't even filled up once in the last 4-5 months.

It's me, the guy who abuses his Miata by leaving it in the garage 355 days a year.

Upon further examination this morning the hesitation was still present when cold/warming up but is not present at all in 1st gear at any rpm. In the other gears it only occurs between 3-4k rpm instead of the 2k+ that I initially reported. If I get above 4k it goes away and within about 1 minute of actual driving it doesn't occur again. I took it out for lunch yesterday to see if I could get it to repeat and everything was normal despite it having sat for 5 hours after the initial drive in the morning.

If it runs well apart from a certain scenario, it's not the fuel filter.

Sounds like your problem is related to cold / warming up phase, at least as I understand it, look at the IAC valve and anything related to that.

How's the idle on cold start?

You're also a monster for not driving the car more :colbert:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you drive it that rarely, are you burning through enough gas to keep it fresh?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

SpaceBanditos posted:

I had similar symptoms, car would start to stumble a bit around 3-4k, but feel alright once it got through that range. Turned out to be plug wires. Got a lot worse in the winter, and in the summer once the car warmed up it was gone.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

blk posted:

No. The easiest way to identify an NC2 with the appearance package is by the front spoiler.

Like so

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 22, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

TrueChaos posted:

I had similar symptoms, car would start to stumble a bit around 3-4k, but feel alright once it got through that range. Turned out to be plug wires. Got a lot worse in the winter, and in the summer once the car warmed up it was gone.

On second thought about all this, I KNOW that one of my plug wires are semi-bad, and the rest are probably following quickly. I get some stumbling around 2.5-3k sometimes in like 6th gear with some load on it, and when it's cold. Heh.

Where can I get decently priced spark plug wires that actually work as good as / better than OEM (very expensive, at least in norway)? :ohdear:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Do they sell NGK plug wires in Norway?

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
gokart status++

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Wibla posted:

Where can I get decently priced spark plug wires that actually work as good as / better than OEM (very expensive, at least in norway)? :ohdear:
Order from amayama.com?

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
I bought a set of NGK plug wires* off of Amazon, greased them up and slapped them on the car yesterday afternoon and took it out for a spin.. no hesitation! So sample size of n=1 and all that but seems to have made an impact, thanks dudes.

I also put gas in it for the 2nd time this year and I super duper swear that I'll fill it up at least 1 more time before I stuff it full of stabil and top it off for the winter.

*Edit for phone posting from work eating words

SpaceBanditos fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 28, 2017

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It's pretty much always plugs. Except when it's plug wires.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does anyone have suggestions for side view mirror replacements for a NA Miata? The plastic is cracking on mine. Just looking for a manual mirror.

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=84782

These chrome ones look like my best bet but does anyone else have any suggestions, preferably cheaper?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Junk yard mirrors and paint them with spray paint. They're small enough and because they stick out from the body lines if the color doesn't perfectly match it won't be very noticeable. I've never seen mirror plastic cracking on a Miata before so you should probably be good with used ones.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for side view mirror replacements for a NA Miata? The plastic is cracking on mine. Just looking for a manual mirror.

http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=84782

These chrome ones look like my best bet but does anyone else have any suggestions, preferably cheaper?

I had good results with the paint-it-yourself IL Motorsport mirrors on my NA. The joint is reportedly stainless so it won't seize up like the stock one.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I replaced the spark plug leads on my 10AE just to discover that the old leads held the coil pack to the head, heh. A replaced bolt later (the other one is hosed + bracket broken), didn't want to mess with the lower one (also seems to be missing) and I was actually able to test the car.

Holy poo poo, haha. The old leads must have been original from the factory or something. Just replacing them made quite a bit of difference on the butt dyno. Feels way smoother and no hesitation when cold or pushing it at lower revs anymore.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Partial Octopus posted:

Figured I'd post some pics of my beat up Miata to see if you guys can help me get a more accurate value.
http://imgur.com/a/t136j

2002, 1.8l Miata, LSD, 106k miles, new clutch, new oem suspension, new timing belt, hard dog roll bar. AC doesn't work, not sure why. Top has 1 small hole and one small tear in it.

I could have the rear quarter panel be replaced by my insurance for $500 but I imagine it isn't worth it.

Bought this miata from this goon last week. Car owns, goon owns.

I've owned 2 NA's, and going from an NA to an NB is an indescribable difference. The NA is definently more of a gokart, but holyfuck is the NB an infinitely better daily. You can actually release the trunk without taking the keys out of the car, remote lock, cruise control. Power steering makes DDing so much better (not NB exclusive, but one of my NA's had a manual rack, and I deleted the PS on the other), power windows are hella nice to have (again, not NB exclusive, and they are kinda slow, but beats the hell out of manual windows).

My NA has a blown motor, so I'm debating if I want to keep it as a project/track/will probably never leave my garage car, or just let it go for like $800.

edit: what people say is true. The NA is a better Miata, but the NB is a better car. Also HOLY gently caress is it nice to own a car without the 60mph shimmy that feels like the wheels are about to fall off the car.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 10, 2017

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Whats the status of your blown N/A? pics/etc? I could maybe use a parts car, or if you have a rollbar or something, could use parts!

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

If someone was wanting to get a wing and some other aesthetic parts for a Miata that aren't the stock parts, where would one want to go?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

-Inu- posted:

I've owned 2 NA's, and going from an NA to an NB is an indescribable difference. The NA is definently more of a gokart, but holyfuck is the NB an infinitely better daily.

How big is the difference in "go kart feeling" really? Is that due to different construction, or the NBs generally just being newer and less worn?

I'm seriously considering replacing my 1997 225000km NA with something with less distance driven, a 6-speed, VVT and preferably LSD. I've never driven an NB, just NA and NC. There's a 1999 10th anniversary thing within roadtrip distance I'll possibly go check out though.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cobra Commander posted:

If someone was wanting to get a wing and some other aesthetic parts for a Miata that aren't the stock parts, where would one want to go?

AFAIK these are the only 2 wings worth bothering with on a Miata. http://949racing.com/apr-gtc-200-wing.aspx and http://949racing.com/apr-gtc300-wing-miata.aspx

949 is a good source for a lot of parts because they tend to actually race with them and are selling stuff they want to manufacture or buy in quantities so it's cheap enough to use it on their race cars.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

-Inu- posted:

edit: what people say is true. The NA is a better Miata, but the NB is a better car. Also HOLY gently caress is it nice to own a car without the 60mph shimmy that feels like the wheels are about to fall off the car.

Every time I see a silver nb I miss the gently caress out of my first miata. The same thing is true from nb to nc, though. Its fatter and slower but also just a little bit nicer inside, and a little roomier. I'd still rather have an nb in the same condition as my current nc, but I'll take what I can get while I wait for nds to get cheaper.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ionn posted:

How big is the difference in "go kart feeling" really? Is that due to different construction, or the NBs generally just being newer and less worn?

I'm seriously considering replacing my 1997 225000km NA with something with less distance driven, a 6-speed, VVT and preferably LSD. I've never driven an NB, just NA and NC. There's a 1999 10th anniversary thing within roadtrip distance I'll possibly go check out though.

I've driven a bunch of NAs and NBs, and after having two NAs, give me an NB any day. It's way more livable without the 60mph shimmy, the brake feel is far superior, and the 6-speed (where available) is super nice. The chassis also feels generally much stiffer.

Maybe part of why it feels like more of a car and less of a go-kart is that it has more interior to it; you're definitely less aware of the world outside even with the top down.

I sort of wish they had done a hybrid model where they had flip-up headlights on an NB chassis, but I'm sure that's possible with enough welding and swearing.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've driven a bunch of NAs and NBs, and after having two NAs, give me an NB any day. It's way more livable without the 60mph shimmy, the brake feel is far superior, and the 6-speed (where available) is super nice. The chassis also feels generally much stiffer.
All of these things (save for the stiffer chassis) are just maintenance issues and not anything to do with the car itself. 99-00 6-speeds feel like garbage, 01-up feel better but if I didn't have to do the work again I'd swap out my 02 6-speed in my 1990 with a nice 5-speed any day.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

destructo posted:

99-00 6-speeds feel like garbage, 01-up feel better

In what way do they feel worse? Some other people have said something similar, but others say all NB 6-speed gearboxes are identical, the only difference being the diff (thorsen or open, and different ratios).

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like my NA more than the NBs I've driven, but my NA has a big brake kit, a 6 speed, a light flywheel, FCM shocks, replacement bushings and motor mounts, 3.6 final drive gears, an aftermarket LSD...uhhhh, probably other stuff I'm forgetting. If you change everything about it it's a better car, but as a base starting point a good condition NB is almost surely better than a good condition NA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So a weird thing about my NB. If the engine is cold and i brake the idle rpm go down but only when the car is moving. The moment i stop it goes back up even if i don't vary the pressure on the brake pedal. Is that supposed to happen or a sign of something bad coming?