Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna install this game and get riight in there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Great, if you decide to start on Phinny or Agnarr let me know, and i can probably toss you some stuff.

PS : is there anyone who played on agnarr and wants to go back to phinny? I still have some starter stuff on phinny (a fungi) and could use some stuff on agnarr.
(I dont have enough to trade for a krono though)

mebert-23o86
May 18, 2004
I dinged 53 today on Phinny and thats a good enough arbitrary milestone that I figured I would share my experience. I play a bard which has been a lot of fun and also handy since I can solo a bit. That's important since groups are few and far between. I get about one a day and they're usually good and typically with the same faces. It's good to be able to do something while lfg though.

If you're starting on phinny milk the tutorial zone for a while, mobs in there are easy to kill and they can get ya to 10 or so easily. After that go to Paludal Caverns until 20. I went to Marus Seru til 30ish or so, Echo caverns (fungus side) is also decent. There's a guild on the server called "Pick Up Group" anyone can invite and usually can get a group going there.

If you play a melee person there's are vendor bought proc augments that help a lot. They proc stuff like a DD a DoT or a heal or Hot. I duel wielded a heal and HoT one for a while and they kept me healed decently. In the starting city search for people with the "melee augment" tag and that should lead you to them. The one I visit is Gemcrafter Donum in Kaladim.

I'm usually in the chat channel (/chat join serverwide.gchat:fygm) as Kadrell. Can probably toss a couple things your way if you want em.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Hmmm... I'm currently deciding between this and project 1999. What would be better for newer players in y'all opinion?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I wouldn't advise p99 for new players if you ever want to experience the raids, as the server is extremely top heavy (all max level). The guilds are also VERY elitist there so getting into one of the guilds won't be easy.
At least it won't be easy to get into a guild that has a shot at actually doing the content as there is some rotation.

Raids are instanced in the TLP/Live servers so every guild has a chance at most of the raid targets. Only a few open world bosses gets raced for.

You can play on the live servers for free or with subscription, with a huge experience bonus (you'll be lvl 30 in a matter of hours) and a mercenary to help you and very good gear dropping from random mobs up to lvl 85. This will mainly be a solo experience as the few groups that you will encounter will mostly be piloted by the same multiboxing player.

You can play on Agnarr, subscription. This server is just entering the first expansion which and the playerbase is widely spread. You will find a LOT of people to group with across all level ranges. Expansions are getting released every 12 weeks, so if you start now you won't have much problems to reach lvl 60 before the next expansion "Velious" launches if you put some time in it.
Important to know is that Agnarr will NEVER progress past the "Planes of Power" -era, so while people widely think this is the golden age of EQ the server will eventually die... but all servers turn into wastelands and this is still like 2 years away for Agnarr.

You can play on Phinigel, subscription. This server has just entered it's 7th expansion. This server is rather top heavy but you should still find people to group with in the more popular zones. The next expansion that will his is the "Omens of War" expansion which was the first good expansion since PoP. There should be an increased leveling bonus (i heard). Guilds have formed but i am sure you can still find a guild who might be doing content from previous expansions.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Guavatin posted:

Hmmm... I'm currently deciding between this and project 1999. What would be better for newer players in y'all opinion?

I'll just quote my novel I had posted on the last page about my thoughts for current live:

xZAOx posted:

While I definitely don't disagree with Hoohah's specific points, I think the honest truth is...there's no real obvious path for EQ to newcomers. All of them have serious issues.

Live servers:
-You're going to hit a very serious brick wall when solo'ing with a merc stops working, usually in the 80s.
-Everquest is super top heavy, not many leveling groups
-If there is a leveling group it's most likely a single person boxing all their toons
-If that person lets you in, they're going to be busy controlling several characters, probably not very chatty, and in my experience is just not a fun way to experience the game
-Honestly molo'ing up to 80s isn't exactly fun either
-Overload of windows - a lot of these are actually great QoL features that Hoohah mentioned, but they get overwhelming when you're just trying to figure poo poo out to start with

Live servers and you boost:
-Good luck figuring anything out about your class
-The amount of skills and spells and bloat is ridiculous

Okay gently caress all that then, eh? Let's go TLP:

Phinny:
-Several modern QoL features are missing as Hoohah pointed out.
-That said, there's still no corpse runs for gear (just lost exp) which is a huge improvement over the original game
-We're into GoD, about to be into OoW. You've missed a lot of the best parts of EQ (even though many will talk about some great stuff coming ahead too, esp OoW)
-Leveling groups are just going to get sparser
-Many popular zones are already taken over by people doing AE groups

Agnarr:
-You're not far behind everyone!
-Should be able to level fine
-Some classes and races aren't unlocked yet
-This server will start to wither once it hits PoP since that's when it quits. That said, you'll get a real solid feel for what EQ is about by then and get a good experience.

The truth of the matter is, EQ needs major reworking before anyone can seriously recommend this game to someone who isn't already into it. Of course, EQ is on a shoestring budget, and they do good just to keep pumping out new expansions for the current playerbase (which are much, much smaller these days) and TLPs.
-The UI is horrible. Just getting chat windows acceptable is an effort (globs of battle spam, no tabbed chat, etc)
-Melee skills/disc, songs, and spells are all a cluster.
-Melee get to enjoy lots of text-based buttons. I mean, I'm old, I can live with it, but that's archaic to get in a new player
-Discs, songs, and spells all need to be *drastically* reduced. For the most part all the clutter really is "you X amount of relevant skills/songs/spells, but every expac you get new ones of that line". However, names change, it doesn't replace the old outdated version, so the clutter really just builds and builds. For a new player it's insanely overwhelming trying to sort it.
-Eleventy billion AA. They put in some effort over the past year to reduce some of the clutter here at least, and collapse some lines, but you still have a lot of "oh that's a passive" and "oh that one you need to get a button for it to use it". Stuff is just spread out everywhere
-There's not really any up-to-date go-to guides. There's lots of outdated info, but that stuff is all fan-driven, and with such a small community these days, it's hard to find good info.
-I have a soft spot for EQs graphics, but the engine itself is miserable. Even the beefiest PC is going to lag all to gently caress when there's a large group of players. Just how the engine is written. Without some heavy rewrites to areas to actually start using the GPU, it will continue to be that way.

I love EverQuest. I've loved, and continue to love, my experience on Phinny - to the point that I now consider it my meatiest EverQuest experience. I've been on it solid for over a year now, which I've never ever done in an MMO ever before (usually ~3 months or so I'd take a break...which is when a new expansion hits now!). But it's not backed by Blizzard and doesn't have the resource to rewrite major systems and subsystems when needed to keep it up to date.

I've often played the "I wish I had infinite monies" mental game to imagine what could be done to just throw cash at it and fix up a lot of these rough edges that wouldn't actually stop EQ from being EQ, heh. But none of us have infinite monies, and EQ really will never be something for people not familiar and already into it, and willing to put up with the flaws.

I haven't touched P99 since Velious came out, so can't talk much about the leveling experience there. The raid scene is definitely 100% poo poo though. I'd suspect the leveling scene is mostly AE groups, but maybe "normal" groups are still there (which is the best way to experience EQ imo).

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Openworld 'racing' on Phinny doesn't really happen from what I've seen. I've not seen 2 guilds pushing forward to get to the target first and kill it.

What I have seen is the same 'top' guilds literally sat at the zone refusing to move even when they are clearly in force. Only when another guild arrives and starts to clear do they follow along behind to snipe the boss at the end.

While it may work for them its just poo poo.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
We do appreciate clearing the trash for us though :P

In all seriousness, we rarely sit at a zone waiting for it to spawn unless another guild starts it first.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
We just "raced" against Faceless Empire on Agnarr for Nagafen.
They had twice our numbers in half the time though, batphone power so it wasn't really a contest. But at least it was fun and they thanked us for the race.

In classic times guilds would stand down after one group had engaged (so first to engage gets first attempt). But I guess that was because there was were no "raids" yet so most dps group would get the kill/loot.

Can't wait for Kunark next week. Need some more targets to loot besides Vox/Naggy/Hate/Fear/Yael/Sky. Our best night so far has been Vox, Naggy and 3x Yael in under one hour. That was fun.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Funniest thing I've seen is 2 guilds sat at the zone - both refusing to move and do the clearing. Was over 30 mins before one finally broke down and actually started playing the game.

Needless to say the other guild did nothing but dps on the boss and got the loot.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Baconroll posted:

Funniest thing I've seen is 2 guilds sat at the zone - both refusing to move and do the clearing. Was over 30 mins before one finally broke down and actually started playing the game.

Needless to say the other guild did nothing but dps on the boss and got the loot.

This

This is the dumbest poo poo people do when we race other guilds. Since 9 times out 10 when we race, the other guild is forming up at the zone in. Instead of making a bee line for the mob, they take their time. All this does is give our people time to get online and/or run a DPS alt over. The only race we lost (that I know of) is when the rival guild just said gently caress and headed to the mob and let their stragglers catch up.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Baconroll posted:

Openworld 'racing' on Phinny doesn't really happen from what I've seen. I've not seen 2 guilds pushing forward to get to the target first and kill it.

What I have seen is the same 'top' guilds literally sat at the zone refusing to move even when they are clearly in force. Only when another guild arrives and starts to clear do they follow along behind to snipe the boss at the end.

While it may work for them its just poo poo.

Part of it due to how DKP works on some of those. They get extra DKP if it's a contested kill. They give zero gently caress about the loot, they just want the DKP, so they'll wait around until there is competition.

By the same token, they don't want to scare off the competition by racing them on clearing trash (and don't want to clear trash anyways).

Their DKP rules are basically set up to encourage just waiting for another guild to come in, do all the work, then swoop in at the end and snag the boss. Max DKP, minimum effort.

As far as racing and such on Phinny in general - things were a lot more competitive pre-PoP. But now the top tier poo poo only lives in instances. The second tier poo poo still sees some competition, but obviously noone cares quite as much. Plus, since everyone can at least get the mob once a week in their own instance, anything but the top few hardcore guilds are content to not deal with shenanigans.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Evernoob posted:

We just "raced" against Faceless Empire on Agnarr for Nagafen.
They had twice our numbers in half the time though, batphone power so it wasn't really a contest. But at least it was fun and they thanked us for the race.

In classic times guilds would stand down after one group had engaged (so first to engage gets first attempt). But I guess that was because there was were no "raids" yet so most dps group would get the kill/loot.

Can't wait for Kunark next week. Need some more targets to loot besides Vox/Naggy/Hate/Fear/Yael/Sky. Our best night so far has been Vox, Naggy and 3x Yael in under one hour. That was fun.

What guild?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Is there a goon guild on agnarr? I'm a lil level 9 hobbit druid.

Also, any of you guys used to be on Povar in the old days? i was Aldamir in the guild Sacrament, used to be buddies with the Triton guys.

Playing this is a flippin blast from the past

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
No more mem-wiping raid mobs after today's patch. In the dps races which I despise it won't make a difference with the 'races' between guilds that are there in force. I haven't seen them do a mem-wipe recently.

The people doing the mem-wipes now seem to be boxers or smaller guilds which try to gimp the kill the at the last few % with a mem-wipe and a few harm-touches/mana-burns/life-burns.

The combination of consumable AAs & Veterans AAs being used together is producing some seriously out-of-era meele dps, but I don't see that being addressed.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
No OoW AoCs btw:

"Good morning. Appreciate you putting together the list of non-instanced OoW events, including even the more obscure ones.
The team doesn't have plans to instance the open air events in Omens of War. The content guys are working on the upcoming expansion for the rest of the calendar year. "

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/omens-of-war-aocs.242829/page-2#post-3575049

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

No OoW AoCs btw:

"Good morning. Appreciate you putting together the list of non-instanced OoW events, including even the more obscure ones.
The team doesn't have plans to instance the open air events in Omens of War. The content guys are working on the upcoming expansion for the rest of the calendar year. "

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/omens-of-war-aocs.242829/page-2#post-3575049

I'm fine with that, since I've been giving you all the infos anyways, might as well keep doing it !

There's a grip of open world stuff in Omens that is mainly used for rune farming (greater and glowing runes are 69 and 70 spells, respectively, and they're no drop, the other three are tradable) to guarantee them early on, but after that 90% of these fights just sit there available. If anything, a few groups might get rid of some fights just to get them out of the way, like stuff in Ruined City. All of the progression is either groupable (get your 7 signets) or is already instanced (the Muramite Proving Group raid trials and Asylum of Anguish).

I posted on that thread and pointed out that if they're only going to instance progression stuff in the future, they need to do Dreadspire (so you can get the eyeballs necessary to flag for Demi-Plane from Master Vule), Relic (so you can get the poo poo necessary to request the Daosheen raid), Devestation and Sverag (so you can get the bones to "strengthen" your "charm" to get the Razorthorn raid instance), and Theater of Blood (So you can get Inspirations to enter Deathknell). Other than that, AoCs are just for bloat like they were in PoP and GoD for some stuff (Barindu, Qinimi, Riwwi, Storms, etc). Once the above have AoCs, there will never be a progression cockblock again except MAYBE in TSS people killing the courier.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Prathun posted again:

"Depths of Darkhollow unlocks on January 31st, 2018. We will look into this next year. "

So yeah, almost zero chance it'll be done in time, and functional, for the launch, lol, but maybe added for a patch mid-DoDH...

I bet by then we're down to about 10 raid guilds.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Prathun posted again:

"Depths of Darkhollow unlocks on January 31st, 2018. We will look into this next year. "

So yeah, almost zero chance it'll be done in time, and functional, for the launch, lol, but maybe added for a patch mid-DoDH...

I bet by then we're down to about 10 raid guilds.

Honestly, they've done right by us on AoCs. The few times they haven't, its still been understandable.

They like to release expansions in November, that gives them the December and January patch to put in Dreadspire

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Prathun got upset and locked the thread, lol.

I'm shocked it'd take an experienced dev a week or longer to add an AOC for content that already exists. EQ is really lovely.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Just heard Agnarr went into Kunark (when I started playing back in the day) and decided to sub; how do I into play with goons?

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Doggir posted:

Just heard Agnarr went into Kunark (when I started playing back in the day) and decided to sub; how do I into play with goons?

There doesnt really seem to be a goon guild here on Agnarr. I'm in The Defiant Coalition, but I think I'm the only goon.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

They recruiting? We can take them over one goon at a time lol

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
In in Wraith Reborn, but that's because i'm a Euro.

We're definitely the best slacker guild around tho.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Doggir posted:

Join the channel in the op and ask around in there when you're LFG. It's not required that you be in a guild with other goons to do stuff with them, it just means you might not have the same schedules.

I wouldn't have thought it possible because I have a massive list of poo poo to farm for my alts, but I'm already starting to burn out on GoD and want Omens badly. Finished BiC up to Qvic on all 5 of them, the rest is just sitting in Qvic, Kod'Taz, and Yxtta farming stuff for like augs and whatnot. The price to pay when I keep having to argue bringing them to raids over poo poo grandfathered-in mains who do gently caress all all raid.

Sad to say, I liked GoD better when it was harder (although not when it was straight up broke). We just burn everything to the ground with no worries except maybe two fights (north snake and balancer).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
That reminds me! This happened last night

And drat dude, burning out on GoD, your most favoritistest evarz, in only a month?

I still have stuff to do, but being a solo guy, hard to get it done. I need a Yiktu rune and Ixxt tongue mainly. My new guild usually has people on, but most are grinding AAs for their boxes or the never-ending goatsock heh.

That said, I'm still super stoked for Omens, which we'll basically have for 5 months. I think our Omens schedule will be Anguish/epics/epics and offnight Tacvi, and DoN will likely go to Anguish/Vish+Yar'lir+epics/epics. At least I hope we drop Tacvi by then, but we do have a lot of box crews (not critical to official raid days, but always good to keep box crews somewhat relevant for when they're needed).

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

And drat dude, burning out on GoD, your most favoritistest evarz, in only a month?

I'm still having fun doing stuff, it just seems to go so fast then we're done with raids and I'm farming rare mobs for random augs.

I'd say I like UF a lot better than GoD, and I'm positive we won't steamroll that.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

xZAOx posted:

That reminds me! This happened last night

Varu?

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Hoohah posted:

I'm still having fun doing stuff, it just seems to go so fast then we're done with raids and I'm farming rare mobs for random augs.

I'd say I like UF a lot better than GoD, and I'm positive we won't steamroll that.

I wish I didn’t get like a life, and get busy, and then start going to the gym because I want to be a fat slob and keep playing this game instead of trying to better myself, because I read this thread and get jealous of the cool content I’m missing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

I don't know Varu means. Is that a character? I'm Brumans.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

xZAOx posted:

I don't know Varu means. Is that a character? I'm Brumans.

Yeah, sorry. It's a guild mate who finished their BiC last night. Thought maybe you were one in the same.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Doggir posted:

I'm off and on different characters but if you see Librarian or Talking in the server wide goon channel hit me up for Free Stuff.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

iNteg posted:

I wish I didn’t get like a life, and get busy, and then start going to the gym because I want to be a fat slob and keep playing this game instead of trying to better myself, because I read this thread and get jealous of the cool content I’m missing.

I'm not sure what you're implying here Awyiss!

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Hoohah posted:

I'm not sure what you're implying here Awyiss!

That I sincerely miss that game and need to stay far far away.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Solarin posted:

I'm off and on different characters but if you see Librarian or Talking in the server wide goon channel hit me up for Free Stuff.

Same. I'm usually on as either Buttzilla or Brooty.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

That I sincerely miss that game and need to stay far far away.

We're about to get into Omens. I think that'll rebound a bit from the dropoff of GoD, but after that I suspect it's a steady slow decline.

Edit: my point being, better get back in now before you never get a chance again!

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

My toons name is anima

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
If I had something else to do with pp I'd probably feel dumb for spending 10k per piece of muramite armor for such a short expac.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

If I had something else to do with pp I'd probably feel dumb for spending 10k per piece of muramite armor for such a short expac.

Just wait till SoF.

quote:

The worst case scenario cost for a single piece of Tier Three armor is 31,585 platinum. The absolute minimum cost is 1,575.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Lol. Does trash loot by then sell a lot better by then?