Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

I... That... But... What?

Look, the plan was to unify multi-user interaction within these different google services and systems though Google Plus, but some people didn't want to use it. :crossarms:

So now they're all basically flailing in the dark without a plan.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Guys, we've got yet another messaging app: Youtube!

I think I get it. Vlogging has become really huge the past few years, the people in that community probably talk loads of poo poo about each other through PMs on youtube.com, now the increased PM demand has been met and they can gossip on mobile as well. Not as much a new chat platform, more like vBB forums having a PM function and then the Awful app supporting it. This is not to say that Google doesn't suck of course.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It really depends who's doing the refurbishing. A used phone's always going to be a gamble, but then, so's a new phone.

Both the Pixel and the G5+ are great phones, so you probably won't go wrong either way.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can we change the thread title to "unlock your goddamn bootloader!"? Because I'm still working on this phone and that was the blocker.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can we change the thread title to "unlock your goddamn bootloader!"? Because I'm still working on this phone and that was the blocker.

No, because some of us still enjoy using Android Pay.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

This has been my first phone I've not unlocked and rooted, and ive been doing the root dance for a looong time now

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The only reason I root my phone now is for physical music buttons, adaway and titanium backup.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RVProfootballer posted:

Isn't tough imo, Pixel at full price is a tough choice, at half-ish price, it's easy as hell

Yeah I considered editing my post but the correct decision was reached so :shrug:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dodoman posted:

The only reason I root my phone now is for physical music buttons, adaway and titanium backup.

Adaway, cf-lumen and titanium were mine, but with nightlight built in, adguard and the transfer to a new phone stuff working remarkably well I just didn't need it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Unlocking your bootloader is risky as hell and unless you're really jonesing for specific functionality that you know cannot be provided otherwise, it's bad advice and shouldn't be on a drat thread title.

I'm not saying you're uniquely bad or dumb for doing it, it's just not something to advertise as a fix.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SD 660 is looking impressive. It's just shy or meeting the SD820 in most tests.

https://m.androidcentral.com/snapdragon-660

I'd kinda like a new Nexus Pixel 7-8" tablet with this chipset please.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 11, 2017

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Adguard etc still just isn't anywhere as good as Adaway. I don't root anymore but that's the one thing I really miss. Adaway is so drat good.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Adguard is working out well for me, what is it you found lacking compared to it?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have tinmapper if i want to use my ds4 for stuff, but is there anything at all that can simulate keys or controller buttons using touchscreen areas? I have quite a few simple games that i can stream that would be playable using ts controls if i dont want to bother with connecting up a controller.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Controllers are dead simple to connect and 100% superior to trying to mash onscreen buttons so why would you not do this

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Skarsnik posted:

Adguard is working out well for me, what is it you found lacking compared to it?

Running the VPN all the time does hurt battery life, but I just found Adaway caught many more ads than the alternatives. Maybe the VPN adblockers have improved recently though.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I can't really comment on battery life yet, but they both work on filter lists, surely you could just use the ones from adaway?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My wife dropped hey G4+ in the toilet about 2 months ago. It's been working but lately the battery drains fast and runs hot.

Is the Moto G5+ a logical replacement? Costco has it for $179.99

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Skarsnik posted:

I can't really comment on battery life yet, but they both work on filter lists, surely you could just use the ones from adaway?

You probably could, but gently caress it I'm too lazy. I'd rather they just had better default lists.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

nimper posted:

Controllers are dead simple to connect and 100% superior to trying to mash onscreen buttons so why would you not do this

laziness since i have a ds4 shared between 3 devices on bt

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My wife dropped hey G4+ in the toilet about 2 months ago. It's been working but lately the battery drains fast and runs hot.

Is the Moto G5+ a logical replacement? Costco has it for $179.99
The G5+ is a deserved thread favorite right now. Make sure to go for the 64GB version, it's got double the RAM as well as storage. 4GB will keep things smoother a lot longer than 2GB over the life of the device.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

The G5+ is a deserved thread favorite right now. Make sure to go for the 64GB version, it's got double the RAM as well as storage. 4GB will keep things smoother a lot longer than 2GB over the life of the device.

Almost double the price makes it not so appealing unfortunately. 180 for 2gb on Amazon, 300 for 4gb...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you've only got $200 to spend on a phone, then your options are fairly limited if you want a good device. The G5+ (4 GB) is the best bang for the buck. If you can't swing that, then it doesn't really matter at that point. My suggestion would be to find something on Swappa.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

No, because some of us still enjoy using Android Pay.

:same:

My plan for if/when my 6P bootloops is to just get a G5+ to use while I do the RMA/refund dance with Google support, then use the refund to get a Pixel 2.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Almost double the price makes it not so appealing unfortunately. 180 for 2gb on Amazon, 300 for 4gb...

The two gb may or may not be fine depending on how you use your phone. I use spotify maps chrome and awful and that's about it other than phone/text on a 2gb and it is usually fine. The only time I have had issues with things getting kicked out of memory is when I was using maps spotify and a poorly designed website all at once. If you play a lot of games or use memory intensive apps frequently you'll notice a difference. Also, if you were gonna lay down 300 you should prolly just buy the refurb pixel

E: if the g4 is 2gb and it worked for her the 2gb g5 will as well

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The ad-supported version is $240. The ads are unobtrusive (a notification on the lock screen which you will bypass before it even registers) and easily removed entirely if you're so inclined.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Unlocking your bootloader is risky as hell and unless you're really jonesing for specific functionality that you know cannot be provided otherwise, it's bad advice and shouldn't be on a drat thread title.

I'm not saying you're uniquely bad or dumb for doing it, it's just not something to advertise as a fix.

Haha, I might have been spending hours and hours working on my 6P. If you don't unlock your bootloader before you get the bootloop of death, you need to either put it in the freezer, heat it up with a hairdryer, or drain the battery all the way down and pray you can get it to start so you can unlock it then.

And then you get to use command line inputs to perform all the other fixes while praying.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Realistically, unlocking the bootloader itself isn't going to be too risky; being able to exploit the fact necessitates physical interaction with the phone and unencrypted storage. If you've lost control of your unencrypted phone you already hosed up

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

The ad-supported version is $240. The ads are unobtrusive (a notification on the lock screen which you will bypass before it even registers) and easily removed entirely if you're so inclined.

This is the right answer. Just get the ad-laden version for $240. You'll be much happier with 4GB of RAM.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Haha, I might have been spending hours and hours working on my 6P. If you don't unlock your bootloader before you get the bootloop of death, you need to either put it in the freezer, heat it up with a hairdryer, or drain the battery all the way down and pray you can get it to start so you can unlock it then.

And then you get to use command line inputs to perform all the other fixes while praying.

That's a cool way to abuse your battery

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I think you're talking about the "allow bootloader unlocking" box in the developer options that lets you actually unlock the bootloader once it becomes necessary.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Google Butt posted:

That's a cool way to abuse your battery

I just drained it. It worked pretty well. I'm just letting anyone else with a 6P know what to do in case they get stuck in the same situation. Huawei isn't fixing phones out of warranty and they're dragging out warranty replacements so people no longer qualify ANYWAY so the choice is no phone or hacked phone.

nimper posted:

I think you're talking about the "allow bootloader unlocking" box in the developer options that lets you actually unlock the bootloader once it becomes necessary.

Yeah that's what I meant. It's a real pain to get to that screen.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Lol, according to The Verge, the X4 has 4GB of ram and 64GB of storage...but only in Asia. Everyone else gets a different version with only 3GB ram and 32GB storage.

No double front speakers, no customizable colors, less ram and storage than we thought, no dimple...

Why is this being released under the Moto X line? I've been leaning more towards getting a secondhand Pixel with every new bit of news I learn about this thing, with the recent Pixel price drops there's almost zero reason for this to exist or anyone to buy one.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The higher end you get, the worse Motorola's offerings become.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

:yeah:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I can't for the life of me understand why it makes any sense to sell one config in one area and a different one in another area, unless there are differences in mobile networks, frequencies and all that. But that has nothing to do with RAM or other specs on the computer side of the phone. It's a thing with Asian companies I find, if Motorola was still an American company it would have the same config and an American engineering name, it would be the 68835-b Mk II in all markets. My Suzuki motorcycle was a GSX750ES, but in the US it was sold as a GS750S. Why, why the extra X in one market and not another? No competing brands, no accidental swear word. Someone should make a documentary or a write a book or something.

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 11, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ola posted:

I can't for the life of me understand why it makes any sense to sell one config in one area and a different one in another area, unless there are differences in mobile networks, frequencies and all that.

A simple example would be making poorer specs for poorer markets, and higher end for higher end. If $300 is like a month's wage somewhere, halving the RAM and storage to drop the price by $100 seems reasonable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lenovo sucks.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Incessant Excess posted:

I didn't see the word "end" the first time I read this. I was very confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Incessant Excess posted:

So we should all be buying Moto E's?