Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

What happens if the Norks launch at Guam and the US retaliates before the missiles land? Does China still back NK? What happens if the Norks launch, US launches back, and the missiles turn out to be test dummies that land 10 miles off the coast of Guam? It would be an insanely stupid play to make but we're not dealing with two of the most rational people in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Two Finger posted:

uh, so this article in the new zealand herald says that the chinese are now saying if the us strikes first, they'll step in on the nk side

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11902513

it uh

it's not good

Cue a diplomatic cable from Moscow to Washington

"Pssst Kim said you have small hands and a tiny dick. Plus he thinks your hotels are tacky"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE's expert analysis of US foreign policy since 2001.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A Saudi guy with a beard broke a bar stool over our backs in the Pub Internationale, and when the rest of the civilized world asked us if we were okay, we broke our bottle on the bar and loudly exclaimed that anyone who didn't pledge undying allegiance and loyalty to us was 'gonna get cut.' Then we singled out the people we thought we saw laughing in the corner and spent most of our treasure in making their lives as miserable as possible, at ruinous expense to most, but tremendous profit to the usual suspects. Then we called our dumbest friend over to convince everyone to never gently caress with us again, not realizing he molested our daughter and has been robbing us blind the entire time we've known him.

This segment of Obvious Metaphors has been brought to you by BIG HEADLINE :downs:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

not far from the truth tbh

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

a Kim Il Song of Tweets and Fire imo

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

psydude posted:

Are nuke officers sequestered from the rest of the world while they're on duty so they never know if they're doing the real thing?
I mean, if you work with nukes, you probably work in a SCIF, or on a submarine deep under the ocean (that is also a SCIF), so...

KildarX posted:

It sounds like it might be opsec, but what stops a training order from being actually executed, is it that there's like a training launch code that beep boops at you if you enter it correctly and then there's an actual honest to god sunshine code that beep boops at you and blows something up?
It's probably heavily platform dependent; for example, with a bomber, on a training mission, you can load it up with inert weapons and execute every step of the checklist to include dropping the darn thing.

shame on an IGA posted:

That poo poo has to be explosive as fuuuuck considering how much simple finely powdered aluminum without any nanostructure trickery already loves atmospheric O2 and federal watchlists

But considering how energetic that reaction is I absolutely believe they've made what they say they have, fuckin lol at selling it as a hydrogen breakthrough instead of weird slow-burn aluminum though.

Also aluminum refining accounts for something like 20% of global electricity demand
Given the history of journalistic coverage of science stories, I'll hold my enthusiasm until someone starts producing it for operational use. And yeah, I'm wondering how much energy it takes to make the stuff, and how reusable it is.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
welp

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
According to multiple news outlets Manafort's son in law has been cooperating with the Feds for a couple months. Now Manafort is switching his legal team to one specializing in financial crimes.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/manafort-shakes-up-legal-team-amid-new-reports-investigation
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/10/politics/manafort-yohai-justice-department-investigation-russia/index.html

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

crazyivan45 posted:

Can a president unilaterally order a nuclear strike or is there a two-man rule in place?

Yes. The president can order the strike without even telling the secdef.

Some congress members have pushed for legislation to change that, prior to Trump getting the nomination, with no success. They wanted congress involved unless responding to an actual attack in progress.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

China has now stated that if NK strikes first, they will remain neutral. However if we strike first, they will side with DPRK and defend DPRK.

https://twitter.com/Voize_of_Reazon/status/895955980294422528

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/895970429734711298

Really loving that cold war-style nuclear brinksmanship is back in vogue

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Fuckin locked and loaded! Yea! Hell yes! So great to have someone with GUTS back in charge. Maga

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A couple years ago I said the next war would be fought over social media.

I wasn't exactly wrong.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I mean, at least the Norks are kind of figuring out that Donnie is full of poo poo too.

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/895973910570774530

Could potentially be the world's saving grace that Trump is a terrible, terrible liar.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

https://twitter.com/xebec78/status/895974360003088386

Such class

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I love how it's easier to understand his motives through the lens of North Korea.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Missionary Positron posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/895970429734711298

Really loving that cold war-style nuclear brinksmanship is back in vogue

You guys are able to go from zero to "we are completely prepared to fight a major regional war" in three days? I take back a lot of what I said about the military.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
For what it's worth S.Korea is about to kick off UFG17, so they'll have lots of extra personnel in place for the next three weeks.

I know this because I am dealing with the world's most unprepared Major and trying to send him there for the exercise.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

dscruffy1 posted:

For what it's worth S.Korea is about to kick off UFG17, so they'll have lots of extra personnel in place for the next three weeks.

I know this because I am dealing with the world's most unprepared Major and trying to send him there for the exercise.

Remind him to pack some iodine tablets.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Totally wouldn't want to be stationed in Korea right now. In 2004 we had some protesters show up and the whole area went on lockdown for nearly a week. They must be losing their loving minds right now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Zeroisanumber posted:

You guys are able to go from zero to "we are completely prepared to fight a major regional war" in three days? I take back a lot of what I said about the military.

FIGHT TONIGHT!

Maybe someone just showed the president a con-plan and said "yeah, I mean, we do have a plan, technically."

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/895973426330054656

Good little tweet series that shows that no, we are not in fact locked and loaded, and are quite far from it.

Man, that 25th amendment can't get invoked soon enough. I'd rather have Pence, or gently caress even Mattis couping Trump, than the orange one bumbling his way into WWIII.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vasudus posted:

Totally wouldn't want to be stationed in Korea right now. In 2004 we had some protesters show up and the whole area went on lockdown for nearly a week. They must be losing their loving minds right now.

Those were some wacky times. I got stuck in a second story bar outside Osan AB sometime late 2003 because a protest was rolling around on a flat bed truck with thousands of people in tow. The bar was blocked off from the street by three rows of police with those giant assbeating sticks.

So many anti-Bush protests, it was ridiculous.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

terry knows the fuckin score

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

terry knows the fuckin score

Terry will be first to die when the bombs hit.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Terry will be first to die when the bombs hit.

Insha'allah.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Baby boomers really really loving like war

Do they have a complex about "the greatest generation ever" that fought ww2?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

Baby boomers really really loving like war

Do they have a complex about "the greatest generation ever" that fought ww2?

A lot of them were draft dodgers and feel like they never won their Red Badge of Courage so they compensate for it by being armchair warriors.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Um

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/895981907133030400

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

"The Market" doesn't exist anymore.

I swear, threads or something should be required viewing for anybody born after 1990 in high School. people just don't appreciate nuclear power anymore

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

"The Market" doesn't exist anymore.

I swear, threads or something should be required viewing for anybody born after 1990 in high School. people just don't appreciate nuclear power anymore

Yeah, I don't know how this is hard to understand: If a nuclear exchange happens, there won't be a market.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Could you imagine seeing Light streak through the sky and a mushroom cloud rise far far in the horizon and going " I hope my stocks are going to be ok.....shouldn't have maxed out the 401k I guess"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I don't know how this is hard to understand: If a nuclear exchange happens, there won't be a market.

Which should (in theory) be priced into the market. The value of stocks is (in theory) based on a projection of future earnings, so the likelihood of a scenario where those don't exist can impact current prices.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Waroduce posted:

Could you imagine seeing Light streak through the sky and a mushroom cloud rise far far in the horizon and going " I hope my stocks are going to be ok.....shouldn't have maxed out the 401k I guess"

I imagine it will look something like this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3EOPMnCROgM

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The next sound you will hear will be the sound of the stock bell melting.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

suboptimal posted:

https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/895973426330054656

Good little tweet series that shows that no, we are not in fact locked and loaded, and are quite far from it.

Man, that 25th amendment can't get invoked soon enough. I'd rather have Pence, or gently caress even Mattis couping Trump, than the orange one bumbling his way into WWIII.
I've got a hair up my butt (again) about him implying that B-1s are nuke-capable (at the moment) but yeah he's right. Wake me up when freight trains loaded down with Abrams tanks are heading toward the West Coast.

Seriously though you can't find a precedent for Trump among American presidents. Even the Republicans from the Gilded Age don't fit. You've got to go back to Roman times and their decadent emperors.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Blind Rasputin posted:

I imagine it will look something like this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3EOPMnCROgM

I'm the guy getting knocked on my rear end at the 1m mark.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I've got a hair up my butt (again) about him implying that B-1s are nuke-capable (at the moment) but yeah he's right. Wake me up when freight trains loaded down with Abrams tanks are heading toward the West Coast.

Seriously though you can't find a precedent for Trump among American presidents. Even the Republicans from the Gilded Age don't fit. You've got to go back to Roman times and their decadent emperors.

I'd say Henry the Eighth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Unfortunately I doubt the actual fact of our preparedness is relevant to whether or not Trump escalates. The morning's headlines will certainly have far more to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I can't remember what documentary I saw it in, but it reminds me of some financial analyst who said that when he first heard about 9/11 happening he asked himself "Oh, I wonder what the price of gold is right now?"

I'm still gonna put money into my retirement accounts either way, but the last thing I care about if WW3 kicks off is "Hmmm, I wonder if I diversified enough".

• Locked thread