Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

The only bad actress in Daredevil is Karen, is she contractually obliged to be on the verge of tears at all times or something?

gently caress off, Deborah Ann Woll is amazing.

edit: I think she plays the role very well. I mean, her character's boyfriend got brutally murdered, then someone tried to kill her while she was in jail. then, she got kidnapped, then shot the kidnapper as he was chatting with her from across the table.

i dunno, i would be on the verge of tears the whole time if i had gone through those events.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

esperterra posted:

Now, now, Matthew Cox is at least better than Clarke.

But you kind of have a point.

Charlie Cox? Pretty sure the DD star never got convicted of mortgage fraud, money laundering, and wire/mail fraud. I suppose I could always be wrong though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's perfectly valid reasons for Karen to be in a perpetual nervous breakdown throughout the series'.

That's just kind of weird to watch.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Samizdata posted:

Charlie Cox? Pretty sure the DD star never got convicted of mortgage fraud, money laundering, and wire/mail fraud. I suppose I could always be wrong though.

Herp derp, yeah Charlie.

Also seconding the Deborah Ann Woll love. She isn't as good in Daredevil as she was in True Blood, but girl is talented.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

esperterra posted:

Herp derp, yeah Charlie.

Also seconding the Deborah Ann Woll love. She isn't as good in Daredevil as she was in True Blood, but girl is talented.

Agreed, as well as being rather...photogenic. Also agreed on the DD vs. TB acting levels. I think the problem is that she is the dedicated "troubled emoter" in DD. Matt is too busy being badass, Electra is too busy being evil ninja murder machine, Claire is too busy taping people together, Foggy is too busy...well...being Foggy that they needed emotional punctuation.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

WampaLord posted:

Is this code for "overused Dutch angles?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0oDm4J3YOg

Thank you for this. I'd noticed while watching there were a lot, but I didn't realise there were that many. poo poo, that 2 minutes was basically the entire film. But better, as it was shorter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samizdata posted:

Agreed, as well as being rather...photogenic. Also agreed on the DD vs. TB acting levels. I think the problem is that she is the dedicated "troubled emoter" in DD. Matt is too busy being badass, Electra is too busy being evil ninja murder machine, Claire is too busy taping people together, Foggy is too busy...well...being Foggy that they needed emotional punctuation.

I think Karen and Elektra both have good actresses doing the best they can with poorly written roles.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Karen's role in S2 really kind of sucked. It didn't feel like she had "earned" her place in the Not Daily Bugle paper. She was just kind of shoved there because the plot needed her to do something that was mostly separate from what Matt and Foggy are up to. Her S1 storyline is much stronger.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Karen's role in S2 really kind of sucked. It didn't feel like she had "earned" her place in the Not Daily Bugle paper. She was just kind of shoved there because the plot needed her to do something that was mostly separate from what Matt and Foggy are up to. Her S1 storyline is much stronger.

Yeah, the whole "I'm now an investigative reporter because that's what Ben Urich would have wanted" thing fell totally flat for me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Pairing Karen's plot up with Frank Castle through the season has to be one of the coolest ideas from that show that I never saw coming.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

BrianWilly posted:

Pairing Karen's plot up with Frank Castle through the season has to be one of the coolest ideas from that show that I never saw coming.

You could attach anything in the show to the Punisher and it would be cool.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

You could attach anything in the show to the Punisher and it would be cool.

The first four episodes of DDS2 are the best Punisher story I've ever seen in any medium.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

verdigris murder posted:

As someone who has daily encounters with not very clever people (e.g. builders and blacks) even they would not stoop to such a level of utter retardation made manifest by the words above this post.

the gently caress

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation

notthegoatseguy posted:

Timby posted:

Yeah, the whole "I'm now an investigative reporter because that's what Ben Urich would have wanted" thing fell totally flat for me.

I think it's pretty obvious that Karen is incredibly smart and talented and has remarkable skills digging up facts and piecing them together to form a coherent, compelling story, not to mention an obsessive amount of dedication in terms of not letting things go. Those are the exact kinds of qualities you want in an investigative reporter.

The only thing that didn't make sense for her story arc was why she was, as an investigative reporter, put in charge of writing what sounded like an opinion piece. The whole "you are all heroes" thing that she narrated near the end was just cringe-worthy, and I put that squarely on the writers.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 11, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah I mean Karen is shown doing that part of the job pretty well.

And we're supposed to see her as a good writer too, because the show treats her article as really good even if the show's writers couldn't pull it off.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I think much like Matt's courtroom scene, the writers didn't really know how to realistically show off her competence.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

An article is one thing you could have at least brought in someone to write pretty easily though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

An article is one thing you could have at least brought in someone to write pretty easily though.

Daredevil writer's room: "It's writing, we're writers, what could possibly go wrong?"

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Karen had a really poo poo time throughout daredevil,i can't remember but has her drug addiction been hinted at? Cause if it ain't happened already offscreen she's in for a baaaad time :[

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm hoping they'll allude to that in this next season, or in Punisher. But it depends if they even go down the Born Again path, or not.

I hope they do. DAW could kill it if they give her decent material.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Karen had a really poo poo time throughout daredevil,i can't remember but has her drug addiction been hinted at? Cause if it ain't happened already offscreen she's in for a baaaad time :[

I want to say Wesley mentioned some dark past of hers right before she shot him.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Between Karen and Supergirl, I've learned that investigative reporting is a job that requires less training than a fry cook.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

howe_sam posted:

I want to say Wesley mentioned some dark past of hers right before she shot him.

Ben did too when he met her at the diner after the auction.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Didn't that just turn out to be she was driving and got in an accident that killed her brother or something?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

I'm hoping they'll allude to that in this next season, or in Punisher. But it depends if they even go down the Born Again path, or not.

I hope they do. DAW could kill it if they give her decent material.

Doesn't Born Again kind of heavily rely on both Kingpin and Urich? Because D'Onofrio's been pretty non-committal about doing another season (I get the feeling the paychecks aren't very great), and Urich, uh, well ...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ShakeZula posted:

Didn't that just turn out to be she was driving and got in an accident that killed her brother or something?

Something like that, yeah.

Timby posted:

Doesn't Born Again kind of heavily rely on both Kingpin and Urich? Because D'Onofrio's been pretty non-committal about doing another season (I get the feeling the paychecks aren't very great), and Urich, uh, well ...

Yeah, it does, but at this rate they'd have to tweak it a lot anyway. I wouldn't want to see all of Born Again adapted anyway tbh, just for them to borrow some of the Karen stuff.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Edmund Lava posted:

I think much like Matt's courtroom scene, the writers didn't really know how to realistically show off her competence.

This is the real truth folks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

esperterra posted:

Something like that, yeah.

I dunno, based on her comment to Wesley about "You think this is the first time I've shot someone?" makes me think there's more to her than that. Or maybe she's just a good actress playing a good actress.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I definitely think there's more to it than just whatever happened with her brother.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I definitely felt like they were hinting at addictions too. Probably as a result of the accident that killed her brother.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I think I read somewhere they never pinned down her tragic past so the showrunners don't know either.

It sounds like maybe her drug stuff all happened in the past and her brother got caught up in it resulting in his death so she killed the guy who killed him and ran.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation

Aphrodite posted:

I definitely felt like they were hinting at addictions too. Probably as a result of the accident that killed her brother.

Or maybe she got into an accident while high on drugs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

enraged_camel posted:

I think it's pretty obvious that Karen is incredibly smart and talented and has remarkable skills digging up facts and piecing them together to form a coherent, compelling story, not to mention an obsessive amount of dedication in terms of not letting things go. Those are the exact kinds of qualities you want in an investigative reporter.

The only thing that didn't make sense for her story arc was why she was, as an investigative reporter, put in charge of writing what sounded like an opinion piece. The whole "you are all heroes" thing that she narrated near the end was just cringe-worthy, and I put that squarely on the writers.

That entire last episode was loving weak but a good closing voice-over could've helped it go down easier. Instead it was NEW YORK IS SO COOL AND IMPORTANT and had nothing at all to do with the themes of the season or the show as a whole.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That entire last episode was loving weak but a good closing voice-over could've helped it go down easier. Instead it was NEW YORK IS SO COOL AND IMPORTANT and had nothing at all to do with the themes of the season or the show as a whole.

I was waiting for the editor to interrupt her mid voiceover. "I'm sorry Karen this article is complete dogshit, I made a huge mistake hiring you."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

marktheando posted:

I was waiting for the editor to interrupt her mid voiceover. "I'm sorry Karen this article is complete dogshit, I made a huge mistake hiring you."

JJJ never woulda put up with that. "I WANTED 800 WORDS ABOUT NINJAS ATTACKING A HOSPITAL, NOT THIS FEEL GOOD CRAP!!!" :argh:

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, based on her comment to Wesley about "You think this is the first time I've shot someone?" makes me think there's more to her than that. Or maybe she's just a good actress playing a good actress.

Also wasn't there a line by Castle hinting at that with his assessment of her choice of handgun? Not flashy like a first timer would go for, but simple and to the point like someone who knew what they were doing would go for, or something.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I'd like a loose adaptation of Born again but that's just me,i loving love born again but I imagine it would be have to be heavily tweaked (daredevil blowing up a helicopter with a machinegun,captain America,the complete lack of Ben urich)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

metztli posted:

Also wasn't there a line by Castle hinting at that with his assessment of her choice of handgun? Not flashy like a first timer would go for, but simple and to the point like someone who knew what they were doing would go for, or something.

Yeah. Castle notes that a lot of idiots who have never fired a handgun choose a .50 desert eagle or similar bullshit, but Page chose a .38, a much more practical choice for someone who knows what they're doing with a pistol.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Timby posted:

Where have you seen D'Onofrio being non-committal? Everything I've read from him says he loves playing the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The man got to be Kingpin and Thor. A pretty good Marvel resumé.