Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

CourValant posted:

Well Sonofa . . .

Good catch, glad someone saw that before we submitted orders; I'm getting a mental image of PTN cursing your name after reading your last post. He's been sneakingly quiet about it too, the little Dalek. :)

@Northern Lance: Do we care to roll the dice on the Summoner, partial cover and all, or just try to take out both Eponas?

That Summoner's extremely dangerous and I'd love to take it off the field, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to force it this turn with that cover bonus. I'll have to think on it a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That Mauler's putting in a lot of work and running hot to get the job done under, to put lightly, unenviable circumstances. He's a trooper.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Gentlemen:

Do I dare run forward 5 to 1529, alpha striking, and trying to deliver a justice foot to the glass spider's head if it survives it?

Do I dare not?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Mukaikubo posted:

Gentlemen:

Do I dare run forward 5 to 1529, alpha striking, and trying to deliver a justice foot to the glass spider's head if it survives it?

Do I dare not?

Par move mods, inside his minimum range, sheer badassery. Works for me!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Daring move!

And a safe one too despite it's high offensive value, the Jager ends up inside the minimum range of two mechs, albeit most of its weapons too, and with the highest move mod available, closer to the northern mechs, and away from the explosive storage tank.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 14, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mukaikubo posted:

Gentlemen:

Do I dare not?

Never Not Be Awesome. Do it, man.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Isoroku, You are committing seppuku after this battle is done.

Mukaikubo posted:

Gentlemen:

Do I dare not?

You know me well enough to know my what my vote is.
I'm thinking to join you - 1431. Better numbers to because GS got no cover. Let's break through.

...But if not, I can go to either 1632. Also work. Both positions allows me to start going at the HO, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea because the dice are on their side now.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Never not go for glory.

I will never stop regretting spending so much of my turn as a pilot sitting in water instead of charging a 100 tonner and punching it in the face.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I kind of maybe regret not DFAing the Naga Redeemer after exploding the Eta Shadowcat, and letting the Screamer get the second headshot on it, even though it got majorly ripped up by high odds artillery missiles, just like I expected.
Otoh I was proud of the Phoenix Hawk being the only mech to participate through all three missions, three players gaining kills in all of them without so much as the loss of a limb, and doing it as Jason's beloved ~heirloom to boot. :)
I guess I don't really regret sticking with the math.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 27, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Man that balius got it's poo poo rocked. Goonlance has this in the bag if this keeps up.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I regret not firing the first turn on 11s during the Comstar mission.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I regret nothing. Got up in a WHM-IIC's face and ate a headcap, got a last-minute reprieve from death the following mission, went out in an inaccurate but awesome blaze of glory as my AMS ammo cooked off, a fiery backdrop to my lancemate doing the ultimate elbow drop off the top rope in a battlemech.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I regret never being able to shoot those streaks off.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I had an average time in my average mech doing nothing spectacular but contributing overall.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Mukaikubo posted:

Gentlemen:

Do I dare not?

DO IT, go for broke! PTN's dice haven't fully abandoned you after your Jagermech luck earlier, make that push and take that fucker out!

I don't regret my play as the Banshee in Hogarth's Heroes. Sure, it might've been a low pressure mission that had only the most minor of consequences, but it was fun as gently caress. Maybe I spent too much time looking for cover in woods as I fired down range at unfavorable dice odds because I didn't know how to calculate those yet, but I scored the first hit + Cini-crit that mission on a first turn long range PPC shot , and since we found out soon that Heat didn't matter, firing everything every turn became an integral part of our orders every turn, which was amazing. Got to cross the streams, then ZA BEASTO'd the Behemoth, which was fun and let me unleash my inner Mari Illustrious Makinami, which got to play to the Eva fanboy in me.

But I still guess I could've been more aggressive when warranted. When I get to play again and now that I know the intricacies of the game better, I should go out and look to hit more people instead of just firing at the edge of my range while in cover.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
[madden mode: ON]

"You know, you never like to see a player get hurt like that. I mean, it's a tough game, it demands toughness, and players are gonna get hurt sometimes, that's the nature of football. There's only so much you can do to stop that from happening. But I'll tell you what, Al, I have a feeling that Balius's career is over. When your leg just gives out like that...you know, I didn't call that game that ended Joe Theismann's career, but I saw the play, and this reminds me of that."

"Anyway the offense is in a real good spot right now, they're really dictating the flow of the game. It seems like they've frozen up some of the defense, too. That Stone Rhino, he's been out of position for a couple turns now, just frozen in coverage - as long as the offense keeps getting him to back off further into a deep zone, keeps him out of the game, they're in good shape. So there's really only a few guys on the other team left to worry about. Let me show you guys what I mean."

"So you've got that Glass Spider down south as like a Cover 2 safety there, but now he's got no help, and he's already kind of banged up. Then you've got your strong side safety with the Summoner there where the offense can isolate him. And then you've got the Eponas, those two waterbug cornerbacks. You know, when you have initiative it's a lot easier to work around those guys. And with all the open locations these guys have right now, all the wear and tear as the game has gone on, the offense can't risk a safety blitz off the strong side from a mech that can critseek like the Summoner can - especially in broken terrain where only one mech can jump. If I'm the offensive coordinator or the head coach right now, I'm telling my quarterback, hey, run plays right at these guys and see if we can burn them for some big yardage. Don't sweat the cornerbacks, trust someone to pick up the block or use the terrain to block 'em these next couple plays, unless you have a sign that the safety blitz isn't coming, and if you can deal with those corners safely."

"Now if there's ways to generate safe plays against the corners, maybe it's a different story, but I really think getting those two safeties out of the game is the key for the offense right now."

"One other real interesting opportunity for the offense is up north right there. The Mauler has a real interesting option play he can run. If he gets up on the berm he can maybe fire downrange a bit, or if he tries to make a move on the Gargoyle he might be able to get a first down off him or even more. Either way, whatever he does, that also puts the Mauler in position to hit that secondary objective. He's probably not getting back into the play otherwise, but that could be a huge benefit to the offense if he can do that."

[madden mode: OFF]

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Finally caught up - decided to start reading this thread a month ago, and it's been great motivation to get playing again.

Also, GoonLance has been consistently entertaining and has helped me to illustrate the sheer madness of a Battletech game where things go weirdly, so now I've gone from "Well, I played a few times at Uni" to "Oh god, I'm painting up a hundred tiny-rear end tanks and prepping mercenary campaigning for a group of ten people".

PTN, as a reader who hasn't participated, this has been an incredible read and a huge inspiration for some stuff I've meant to do for a while. Great job!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hedningen posted:

Finally caught up - decided to start reading this thread a month ago, and it's been great motivation to get playing again.

Don't forget to sign up for a pilot slot! :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Hedningen posted:

Also, GoonLance has been consistently entertaining and has helped me to illustrate the sheer madness of a Battletech game where things go weirdly, so now I've gone from "Well, I played a few times at Uni" to "Oh god, I'm painting up a hundred tiny-rear end tanks and prepping mercenary campaigning for a group of ten people".

Ha! Well, good luck! Running a campaign for a bunch of people can be tricky, so I've got a few suggestions:

1) Don't be afraid to flub a rule, and don't let looking up obscure rules bog the game down. If you gently caress up, welp, it happens. Roll with what makes most sense to you at the time, make it the 'house rule' for the mission and make sure everyone's aware that you'll be looking up the actual ruling afterwards. BattleTech is a slow game that can devolve into endless rulebook checks with new or inexperienced players.

1a) Print off multiple copies of (assuming you're using Total Warfare) Page 306 (movement tables), 307 (missile table and to-hit modifiers table), 308 (hit locations and critical charts), 309 (if you're using vehicles, vehicle hit locations and critical charts). Pass them out to the players, let them help you with hit locations and they'll both feel more involved and the game will play faster.

2) If you're not letting the players pick their own ride, and if you give anyone a light `Mech (or a really fragile medium like the Shadow Hawk) it's a good idea to give them a second light `Mech to play to support it. Lights are the easiest `Mech to BattleTech by accident and it's easy to frustrate someone by taking them out by accident on turn 2. If they've got two `Mechs, they can still contribute.

3) Let the players decide whether their pilot died when their `Mech inevitably gets taken out. Some people get really attached to the names they write down, others couldn't care less. You'll get enough people voluntarily killing off their own pilots that your mercenary company will feel appropriately BattleTech-y without making anyone upset that their stand-in died. Even a cockpit destroying headshot could just be a lengthy hospital stay.

4) Secretly (or publicly, if killing them is a mission objective) pick one enemy `Mech to be the force commander. Then pick a personality for them, and decide how their troops behave when they get killed. This is something I've secretly been doing for a couple of years. Some suggestions:

4a) The Coward: The enemy commander is very risk adverse, enemy units will tend to move to counter predicted player movement but often over-maneuver and don't press openings reliably. When this commander dies, their frustrated soldiers tend to get reckless or very aggressive.

4b) The Hero: The enemy commander is a semi-famous war hero. Their soldiers fight hard for them, but get demoralized if they're beaten and attempt to retreat in good order. If retreat isn't possible (or they're House Kurita or the Clans) they fight with suicidal recklessness instead.

4c) The Tactician: The enemy force focuses fire effectively, particularly against targets the commander is attacking. If the commander is eliminated, they tend to attack targets at random in their confusion.

4d) The Sneak: The enemy force tends to seek cover and regularly breaks line of sight. When the commander is defeated, they tend to isolate themselves by mistake.

4e) The Bought Commission: The enemy force is hamstrung by the ineffective leadership of a young noble with a rank they bought but never earned. They fight erratically and tend to isolate themselves, but fight more effectively once their commander is defeated and can no longer send them conflicting orders.

4f) The MechCommander: (AKA the Micromanager) The Coward, except a Noble. This commander seeks a high position with a lot of vision and rarely moves. Enemy forces maneuver in tight formations and focus fire until he's defeated. This commander will withdraw if his force takes significant losses. When defeated, the enemy tends to maneuver poorly since they're accustomed to being told precisely where they need to be

4g) The Superhero: The Hero, except a Noble. This commander leads from the front and leads by example, spearheading every charge as if they're convinced they can't be killed. When defeated their troops will fight tooth and nail to protect their commander's downed machine, but will ignore all other objectives.

I've got a few others that are less well defined, but coming up with a personality for the enemy commander and determining what happens when they get taken out is both fun and a good way to play a fluffy game without intentionally making bad decisions if the dice start turning against your players. Don't be afraid to put the enemy commander in a medium or even a light `Mech. The best MechWarrior in the Inner Sphere piloted a Panther, after all.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

While I don't specifically play Battletech, I do some tabletop gaming otherwise, and I think the general rule that has brought a lot more enjoyable and memorable moments to my games regardless of setting or system is "Be ready to modify the fight, or even end it, depending on the circumstances." Not the obvious stuff like maybe if the players got diced super hard but have killed an even number of enemies the forces retreat, but more accounting for how people might react to what you didn't expect.

We've had some zany moments even in this thread, and PTN has rolled with most of them. He's let us do stuff that is nowhere even close to being in the rules just because someone (or a group of someones) thought up some batshit crazy plan that made juuuust enough sense in-universe to be worth trying. Or maybe it was just cool, like suplexing a giant robot.

Your players will invariably come up with some kind of plan you could never have predicted. Sometimes you have to put them on the old GM railroad towards the destination, but if you really don't have to, just roll with it best you can. You'll end up places nobody expected in the long run.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zaodai posted:

While I don't specifically play Battletech, I do some tabletop gaming otherwise, and I think the general rule that has brought a lot more enjoyable and memorable moments to my games regardless of setting or system is "Be ready to modify the fight, or even end it, depending on the circumstances." Not the obvious stuff like maybe if the players got diced super hard but have killed an even number of enemies the forces retreat, but more accounting for how people might react to what you didn't expect.

We've had some zany moments even in this thread, and PTN has rolled with most of them. He's let us do stuff that is nowhere even close to being in the rules just because someone (or a group of someones) thought up some batshit crazy plan that made juuuust enough sense in-universe to be worth trying. Or maybe it was just cool, like suplexing a giant robot.

Your players will invariably come up with some kind of plan you could never have predicted. Sometimes you have to put them on the old GM railroad towards the destination, but if you really don't have to, just roll with it best you can. You'll end up places nobody expected in the long run.

I agree with this. The corollary, though, is to avoid temptation to do this as a GM, at least until the players have gotten used to and internalized the idea that sometimes cool (but rule-breaking) poo poo happens. For example, in your first or second game, do not have an enemy mech with no jump jets doing a sick elbow drop off a cliff to headcap a player mech; as cool as that would be, the players can reasonably expect that the rules are rules, until you've firmly established that they're not, and that will lead the players to better anticipate and roll with surprises like this instead of feeling like they've been tricked unfairly.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Or at the very least, that rules being flexible is a two way street, and if they start doing crazy stuff it won't always go their way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Right, exactly. I've seen this in RPGs and other tabletop games: a GM surprises everyone with something he thinks they'll find really cool, but instead the players are surprisingly upset. Understandably, if the referee suddenly seems to be breaking the rules just to benefit his favored side, to the player's harm, and furthermore, they had counted on the rules being what they are when making prior important decisions.

Once you've got the whole set of players on board with the proverbial swinging from the chandeliers, you can introduce adversaries who have secret abilities or carefully constrained options that break the rules-as-written, and/or take advantage of opportunities for narratively interesting improvisation that some rule would otherwise prohibit.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ha! Well, good luck! Proceeds to give great advice.

Thanks for all the advice on this - it's definitely a different beast than I'm used to running.

Could have been clearer that each person is building a mercenary company, as pilot death can suck if it puts you out of the game. Contract bidding is gonna be done blind, and I'll be getting some inter-group competition so that I'm not always running OpFor - thankfully, I trust my groups enough that their results will be reported honestly.

Depending on player comfort level, we'll be using Alpha Strike for newer folks, with the experienced people using Classic. Games will default to what players agree on, and I'll be tracking between-game stuff.

Should work pretty well, I hope. I'll probably periodically post pictures of games in here if that's cool.

Oh yeah, signing up as a pilot. Should I post in the doc? Brain is a bit fried after work.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
Well, I'm just going to throw out a couple options I see to think about. I haven't really decided what to focus on yet, though.

For the Sagittaire, if you want to throw down with the Summoner you can jump into 1021 and play the partial cover game yourself. It's at range 4 so you get the short range bonus on the LPLs while not letting him critseek with the machine guns.

If you wanted to hunt a tank instead, you could go to either 1420 or 1422. 1420 gives you partial cover from the Epona on the right of the building and range 2 so your MPLs are short range too, but I think you would block LoS to the Summoner if you went to 1422 instead and it would still leave the LPLs in short. 1420 also has 50/50 line of sight so if the tank doesn't want to fight you, you wouldn't have a shot at it. 1422 doesn't have that issue. Both options block LoS to Yonit's Epona. 1520's also an option if you want to kick the tank, but you're giving up partial cover and not affecting any shots the Summoner has on you.

I'm not really sure what the best plan for the Battlemaster is. If he just wants to cross the trench to 1322, he could decline LoS to both Eponas. If he keeps his facing toward 1422, he would be presenting his relatively intact right side to the Summoner, blocking the open left torso from that side. He would have partial cover against the Glass Spider if it felt like shooting north for a change, too. The problem is that he doesn't really have good shots from there. Best is probably the Glass Spider with partial cover? I think PPCs would be on 8 and lasers on 10 from there. Shots on the Summoner would be worse despite better range brackets because of the move mod.

I can't really get good shots on the Summoner. If I stand still and give Yonit shots at my rear armor, I still only hit on 7 and miss on leg hits. If I even turn, I'm up to 8 and less than 50% chances to hit. I think I'm better off using this turn to try and finish off this Epona. I could either just put my back to the building or move forward into the trench and turn down there to avoid the rear shots and make it so I can actually use missiles. If I move, I give the Summoner slightly better shots on the ER mediums, and give myself partial cover against Yonit's Epona, but my shots are slightly worse. That puts me closer to the southern group but also locks down my movement since I'll be in the middle of a lot of rough terrain. I'll have some decent options for cover next turn though.

What do the rest of you think?

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Yakumo posted:

I'm not really sure what the best plan for the Battlemaster is. If he just wants to cross the trench to 1322, he could decline LoS to both Eponas. If he keeps his facing toward 1422, he would be presenting his relatively intact right side to the Summoner, blocking the open left torso from that side. He would have partial cover against the Glass Spider if it felt like shooting north for a change, too. The problem is that he doesn't really have good shots from there. Best is probably the Glass Spider with partial cover? I think PPCs would be on 8 and lasers on 10 from there. Shots on the Summoner would be worse despite better range brackets because of the move mod.

For the Battlemaster, I am thinking about moving to 1322, facing 1323. H17 should block me from LOS from the Stone Rhino. I can torso twist and unload on the Summoner at range 4 with everything except the Small Laser. The dice won't be great but you never know when you get a golden bb.

And the last option is to stay in place, rotate and unload on the Summoner, however I'm in MG range and he has already targeted me so I'm essentially asking him to sock it to me.

I am in favor of keeping us moving south, if we eliminate the Summoner then we only have the Eponas and the elephant in the room Rhino to worry about from the north. This would allow us to eliminate the last two southern mechs in short order.

My order of priority would be:
1) Summoner
2) Epona hex 1119
3) Epona hex 1420

If we can contingency fire down range on the Glass Spider we could eliminate all but the Ha Otoko this round with coordination with the south.

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 11, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yakumo posted:

For the Sagittaire . . .

For the 'Sag', I like jumping to to 1021, facing 1122, rear MPL the Epona, and LPL the Summoner (short range on both set of shots). Might as well use the 'Sag' to the best of its capabilities.

Yakumo posted:

I'm not really sure what the best plan for the Battlemaster is . . .

For the Battlemaster, I'd advocate for advancing to 1322 and firing on the other Epona; if he puts it down, and we luck out with Yonit, that just leaves the Summoner next turn, and we can end him with x3 focus fire.

Yakumo posted:

I can't really get good shots on the Summoner . . .

For the 'Hata', I'd advise moving into the trench, turning so that you'd have LOS on both the Epona and Summoner, then fire at the Vee, with contingency on the Summoner.

Again, if we can put down both Eponas this turn, the Summoner will be ours in the next, especially since the Stone Rhino is out of the game at this point. It won't make it back into position in time to matter, the mission will effectively be decided in the next two rounds.

Jew it to it! posted:

And the last option is to stay in place, rotate and unload on the Summoner, however I'm in MG range and he has already targeted me so I'm essentially asking him to sock it to me.

I don't think that's correct? MG range is 3 and even if you stay in place, the current distance between Battlemaster and Summoner is 5.

Jew it to it! posted:

I am in favor of keeping us moving south, if we eliminate the Summoner then we only have the Eponas and the elephant in the room Rhino to worry about from the north. This would allow us to eliminate the last two southern mechs in short order.

Agreed on the moving south, I however prefer taking down the Eponas first; potatoes tomatoes.

At the risk of jinxing it, I feel like quoting '300'; 'Today, no Spartan dies . . . give them nothing, but take from them everything!'

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

With the new placement of the Stone Rhino it seems PTN intends for it to fight the Mauler and secure the dockyards in the likely event the Gargoyle dies. By jumping northeast its essentially taken itself out of the central fight, even if the Mauler dies this round it's two rounds away.

About 80% chance of taking out the Glass Spider with a double alpha. About 30% chance to take out the Western Epona with two MPLs (60% with four, thanks to only needing 3 front hits). Very roughly the Summoner is likely to handle 6-7 alphas on average before dying, thanks to its move mod and very high maneuverability compared to Goonforce and the lack of big guns against it. Getting one or two groupings of 45 damage on a torso or leg means about 100-150 damage on the mech, and it could end up getting lucky and losing an arm.

The eastern Epona will die quickly if fired at from the front arc, but the Jager doesn't have enough firepower and the Sagittaire would have to jump into the open. Killing it from the front arc would need about a full alpha (the left arc only has a 1/9 probability), from the right arc would on average take a bit over a full alpha, about 70 points of weapons fire as half are likely to miss.
Very roughly 80-85% chance of the Mauler killing the Gargoyle this round if it goes for sweeping the leg at 97% (Mauler has an open torso and XL engine).

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 11, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hedningen posted:

Could have been clearer that each person is building a mercenary company, as pilot death can suck if it puts you out of the game. Contract bidding is gonna be done blind, and I'll be getting some inter-group competition so that I'm not always running OpFor - thankfully, I trust my groups enough that their results will be reported honestly.

Be very careful, then. If your friends are anything like mine, one or two of them are bound to be extremely competitive (you can usually spot them because they'll go out and buy all the rulebooks). Make sure any `Mech customization, if you allow it, happens above-board or needs some form of sign-off or approval. If you do wind up with a hyper-competitive player or two, and they get into a private match with someone and you won't be around to arbitrate, it can be a good idea to warn their opponent in advance. Tempers can get heated when someone is really into a game, and I have seen friendships ruined because someone's taking things too seriously.

For these types of players, it's best to be available to arbitrate. They will usually try to argue every ruling that might give them an advantage. You can ignore this if your group is normally chill, but in my experience there's always at least one.

... And if you have two, try not to let them compete against each other unsupervised, it will probably end with at least one thrown mini.

CourValant posted:

Again, if we can put down both Eponas this turn, the Summoner will be ours in the next, especially since the Stone Rhino is out of the game at this point. It won't make it back into position in time to matter, the mission will effectively be decided in the next two rounds.

You have a bad tendency to underestimate how tough enemy units can be.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You guys are shooting on like 8s and worse, it's not very likely to put anything down but the almost dead Epona with those numbers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

Be very careful, then. If your friends are anything like mine, one or two of them are bound to be extremely competitive (you can usually spot them because they'll go out and buy all the rulebooks). Make sure any `Mech customization, if you allow it, happens above-board or needs some form of sign-off or approval. If you do wind up with a hyper-competitive player or two, and they get into a private match with someone and you won't be around to arbitrate, it can be a good idea to warn their opponent in advance. Tempers can get heated when someone is really into a game, and I have seen friendships ruined because someone's taking things too seriously.

It was a running joke in our FLGS back when it was open that upon uttering the word "Battletech" you would get into a fight with someone within half an hour.

I say "joke" and yet I never saw this not happen.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I may have posted before about how I, as an observer, think it would be neat to see the Summoner get a beatdown, but upon further thought and review, hitting the (undamaged) Summoner will be hard and those Eponas and the Glass Spider need to die. The situation for those three mechs in the middle is pretty dicey - open torsos and surrounded on all sides...

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

You have a bad tendency to underestimate how tough enemy units can be.

Yeah, you're right. Bad habit from fighting mostly mediums and heavies I suppose; I'm used to dropping 'mechs on a more predictable rate than 'Peter Cottontail'ing' with Assaults.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

. . . hitting the (undamaged) Summoner will be hard and those Eponas and the Glass Spider need to die.

You're not wrong, and, 'Sag' has better shots on the Summoner than the Glass Spider; just want to make sure I use the spare heat on a forward target.

@Southern Flank: Would you rather the 'Sag' send an ER PPC shot down to help take out the Glass Spider, or do you think your dual alphas plus a kick would be sufficient?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The situation for those three mechs in the middle is pretty dicey - open torsos and surrounded on all sides...

No kidding; Northern Elements are on 'deadly ground'.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It never got bought, but I called it Krakenfire.

The 'closing door logo appears' thing at the end was me making fun of the cartoon.

how much does it even cost to buy one of those?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Viva Miriya posted:

how much does it even cost to buy one of those?

$29.95.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

gently caress that

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's also too big, so it'd need a mod to force it through. I could probably make it smaller by removing the transparency and using combine rather than replace, and then removing some of the extraneous frames, but eh.

I can make a better one that will also apply to HBS's BattleTech

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It was a running joke in our FLGS back when it was open that upon uttering the word "Battletech" you would get into a fight with someone within half an hour.

I say "joke" and yet I never saw this not happen.

That's why I say: have a designated mediator, and have a clear plan in place to follow up. The Mediator gives an immediate decision if needed and if that's not good enough they can "null" the results / consequences of the game so no one loses anything and hopefully the players can get back to having fun. Then review the rules as written later with both players to see where one or the other may be misinterpreting something.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 11, 2017

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Okay, I'm going to 1632. This gives me better numbers on the HO, and I want to start shooting him.
Muk, do you think you can kill the glass spider this turn, or you prefer my assistance?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leperflesh posted:

I had an average time in my average mech doing nothing spectacular but contributing overall.

same, though I'll always be a little proud of my clutch last minute cockpit grab in Air Raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's also too big, so it'd need a mod to force it through. I could probably make it smaller by removing the transparency and using combine rather than replace, and then removing some of the extraneous frames, but eh.

I can make a better one that will also apply to HBS's BattleTech

I'll ask about the smiley size.

• Locked thread