Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, when Nintendo fans do anything with their fandom, Nintendo gives them a cease and desist and threatens them with a lawsuit. When Sega fans do this stuff, Sega is like "hey I like that, let's give these people a job." Sega is in fact way cooler than Nintendo.

I feel like my arguments on the playground during recess in elementary school have finally been justified.

yeah, how about that Streets of Rage remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's only right that I pop my let's play cherry with such sadness and disappointment

I was expecting a fun bad game but it's just a boring bad game. If you can actually make it all the way through the video then props to you I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Z2yFlhA2g

So instead have some Spiderman and street fighter the movie: the game as a consolation prize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVZFURr3khs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxA_Sy25zdc

robot roll call posted:

yeah, how about that Streets of Rage remake

okay, yeah. you got me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm glad Tyson Hesse gets to officially draw Sonic all the time

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

nintendo literally released a mario romhack creation game a couple of years ago

So SEGA's response is "you're doing that for us now" while Nintendo's is "we're doing that for you now".

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Let's be fair though, hiring the Taxman, Stealth, Tyson Heese and Tee Lopes was the best thing Sega has done because those guys understand how to make Sonic games way better than Sega actually does

Hmmmm okay I think I may have just destroyed my own argument, sega is in fact not better than nintendo

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, when Nintendo fans do anything with their fandom, Nintendo gives them a cease and desist and threatens them with a lawsuit. When Sega fans do this stuff, Sega is like "hey I like that, let's give these people a job." Sega is in fact way cooler than Nintendo.

I feel like my arguments on the playground during recess in elementary school have finally been justified.

It's because Nintendo can make better games than their fans can, Sega can't

Edit, fail, beaten

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Again, it's not like Taxman was scouted for the job. He took his Retro Engine stuff, set his fan game stuff aside, and campaigned for it like everyone else. Sonic Mania was a thing that was pitched like any other game and he had a chance to fill its staff with his colleagues once it was greenlit. Sega didn't seek out a fan game designer, he just put the work in to get a job like everyone else.

Also I don't really think any of the Nintendo games that were DMCA'ed are really "professional quality" or near the level Sonic's fan game scene has gotten. Pokemon Uranium is straight up BAD, and while AM2R comes close to an official product's level of ambition, it has some serious balance and difficulty problems.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

and while AM2R comes close to an official product's level of ambition, it has some serious balance and difficulty problems.

I've heard all about Uranium's problems, is there somewhere I can read about this? Curious to see an analysis/thoughts. I remember having a bit of trouble with one or two bosses, but otherwise really enjoyed AM2R.

It certainly feels like Sega is really pushing/supporting Mania - it feels so strange after like, a decade of not knowing what to do with Sonic. I just hope they keep the momentum and let Taxman and Co. do more with Sonic. There's a part of me that worries that this is going to be a one time deal regardless of how well it does - like is "Mania 2" too weird with how Mania is this special nostalgia tribute to the old games?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's mostly a personal assessment. I found fighting every single metroid to be like pulling teeth.

And Mania getting a follow up really depends on how well it sells. After Colors' and Generations' success, if there's one thing that Sega's shown themselves to be good at, it's following the money.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 11, 2017

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I've heard all about Uranium's problems, is there somewhere I can read about this? Curious to see an analysis/thoughts. I remember having a bit of trouble with one or two bosses, but otherwise really enjoyed AM2R.

It certainly feels like Sega is really pushing/supporting Mania - it feels so strange after like, a decade of not knowing what to do with Sonic. I just hope they keep the momentum and let Taxman and Co. do more with Sonic. There's a part of me that worries that this is going to be a one time deal regardless of how well it does - like is "Mania 2" too weird with how Mania is this special nostalgia tribute to the old games?

Come join us in the ongoing Uranium LP on these very froums, it's not very good

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Just a hunch, but I don't think this is going to be the last time the Taxman and Stealth work on a Sonic game. I think this game will succeed and there will be more.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry, I structured that sentence poorly, I was asking for information about A2MRs balance issues. That LP is why I'm familiar with Uranium being a nightmare, it's fantastic.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Just a hunch, but I don't think this is going to be the last time the Taxman and Stealth work on a Sonic game. I think this game will succeed and there will be more.

Sega not doubling down on the success of Generations has left me nervous.

TFRazorsaw posted:

And Mania getting a follow up really depends on how well it sells. After Colors' and Generations' success, if there's one thing that Sega's shown themselves to be good at, it's following the money.

I mean, their response to being asked about Generations 2 would happen was "nah, we want to do something different' and we got that bad Mario Galaxy knockoff.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, their response to being asked about Generations 2 would happen was "nah, we want to do something different' and we got that bad Mario Galaxy knockoff.

And then they started to make Forces, which is Generations +1. Dev cycles being what they are, it had to be something they were discussing internally before LW came out, too.

I don't really think they shouldn't be allowed to experiment, either. LW wasn't the greatest, but like, I'm not so naive to think that everything a studio produces will be good after a run of a few games. It's gonna happen. In general, I think people are a lot too eager to say that the pendulum has swung back around on the Sonic franchise - either it's completely saved, or the series is bad forever again. It also triggers the kind of revisionism that leads to "Sonic was never good".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Oxyclean posted:

Sega not doubling down on the success of Generations has left me nervous.

Forces is them coming back to the Generations well, after the flops of Lost world and Boom.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Boom was also SoA's baby and handled by a completely different team.

I've noticed that every time Iizuka talked about it seemed very disinterested in it, or like "Okay, this is my job, I literally have to help promote this". He's not been involved in Mania's development outside of a supervisory role and helping them chart direction, but he's definitely a lot more passionate about it than he was Boom.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My loins pulse with sonic power. Chaos control.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'd actually kind of like to see them try and tackle a 3D game one day as well, just to see if they could manage to pull it off.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Larryb posted:

I'd actually kind of like to see them try and tackle a 3D game one day as well, just to see if they could manage to pull it off.

Finally we'll get a worthy sequel to Sonic Heroes.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Uh there's some sort of a special announcement stream on the Official Sonic Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbqPX15G9_0

EDIT: Playing SA2 untill Aaron Webber pops in to do the announcement.

I am gonna FLIP if this is an early release due to the game leaking.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kikas posted:

Uh there's some sort of a special announcement stream on the Official Sonic Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbqPX15G9_0

The announcment is....... you get to watch some nerd play Sonic Adventure 2!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Kikas posted:

EDIT: Playing SA2 untill Aaron Webber pops in to do the announcement.

Please

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kikas posted:

"It's not an early release date, get that out of your heads, you can't believe everything you see on the internet. People lie."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Forces is them coming back to the Generations well, after the flops of Lost world and Boom.

Good point. Forces seems to be the right direction, I just hope it's actually good/fun.

Larryb posted:

A Mania style game for the Adventure series/era could be cool. I really like how the extra missions and chao gave Adventure 2 a lot of replay value.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
"Wanna me to announmce something? I'm mgonna anounce that if you dei 13 times in one level in Mania you unlock Big The Cat mode" hosed up if true.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I saw the leaks of Hydrocity and Stardust Speedway. I'm not going to go into details or spoilers. All I will say is that the stage gimmicks and bosses are extremely clever and there are a lot of obscure nods to lesser known Sonic games that you would totally not expect.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I would like that too. Sonic Jam and Sonic R always had me wondering about what a 3D Sonic game on the Saturn would be like. Of course, we actually do know what it would have been like because that game became Sonic Adventure. Maybe they'll get a chance to do Sonic Adventure 3.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

I am going to lost here something that I wanted spoiled, in spoiler tags.

LEVELS. DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS.

NUMBER OF LEVELS: 12

LIST OF LEVELS IN ORDER:

Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Studiopolis, Flying Battery, Press Garden, Stardust Speedway, Hydrocity, Mirage Saloon, Oil Ocean, Lava Reef, Metallic Madness, Titanic Monarch

There might be a secret extra zone if you manage to catch al the emeralds, that idiot sure as hell wasn't competent enough to go for them.

Andre Banzai fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 11, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Why is this poo poo always on youtube, their streaming is the worst. Do it on twitch like a normal person Sonic

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Can you like format that differently. Spoilering out the number of levels doesnt really help if you just list them out in a straight line like that lol

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So are we looking at the standard 2-Act structure for the levels? Or is each one something that is just a one-off?

Have to say, I'm pretty hype about Hydrocity and Flying Battery being in the game. Those were my favorites in their respective games.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Can you like format that differently. Spoilering out the number of levels doesnt really help if you just list them out in a straight line like that lol

Fixed, you're right. Sorry for that!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Why is this poo poo always on youtube, their streaming is the worst. Do it on twitch like a normal person Sonic

I have had nothing but buffering on Twitch ever. YouTube streaming works so much better for me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
All these black bars are going to drive me crazy for the next four days.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Aaron Webber got pulled into, I guess, an emergency meeting regarding Sonic Mania?? According to the dude playing on the stream right now.

edit: Oh there he is

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

So are we looking at the standard 2-Act structure for the levels? Or is each one something that is just a one-off?

I think they all have two acts - returning stages were sold as the first act being a mostly familiar mixup of the original zone, with second act being new gimmicks. (Chemical Plant Act 2 was shown has having a mechanic where you turn some chemical water into bouncy goo)

I don't see why new zones would only be a 1 act deal.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:wtf: The PC version isn't coming out now until THE 29TH

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lol delayed on Steam

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
OH gently caress NO THEY ARE DELAYING THE PC MANIA TO AUGUST 29th gently caress NO THIS IS THE WORST TIMELINE

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The other versions should have to wait THIS IS BULLSHIT :mad:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm glad I'm getting the Nintendo Switch version :smug: