Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Countblanc posted:

literally gently caress the ocean

can vegapunk feed a devil fruit to the ocean? makes u think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jose posted:

can vegapunk feed a devil fruit to the ocean? makes u think

who says he already hasn't? maybe the ocean basically has something similar to the yami yami no mi that nullifies and weakens all devil fruit users?

The Nami Nami no Mi.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sub Harrison posted:

A less discussed topic: What's on top of Mariejois that makes it such a secret? Fishman Island survives by a magic tree who's roots provides light to the underground. I think whatever is sprouting above on the redline is what let Doffy keep political power over the Dragons.

I have a feeling it's the Devil Tree that sprouts all natural Devil Fruits in the wild but can only be manipulated through special means.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i bet even oda didnt know how blackbeard had two powers, and maybe still doesnt

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sub Harrison posted:

A less discussed topic: What's on top of Mariejois that makes it such a secret? Fishman Island survives by a magic tree who's roots provides light to the underground. I think whatever is sprouting above on the redline is what let Doffy keep political power over the Dragons.

its the highest point in the world. water counters devil fruits. devils are the enemy of god (the world nobles). they flooded the entire world 1000 years ago and wiped out the majority of civilization to kill a bunch of devil fruit users.

the weird island world makes more sense when you think about it having been flooded... from reverse mountain.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RealFoxy posted:

I wanna steer the conversation around how/why Blackbeard has multiple fruits by bringing up how cool it would be if Vegapunk were to suddenly discover how to do something like hybrid fruits where you get the powers of two different fruits and all the amazing, cool things that Oda could do with. Monet was really cool although technically not having two fruits, she could easily have had a Harpy and Snow parmecia fruit too

Sounds awful, since it'd probably just result in characters with 6 dozen different powers that are such a mess most of them get little to no focus beyond the obligatory one instance of showing them off. Limits are restrictive and annoying, but they foster creativity too and I'd prefer to see Oda play extensively with how one power could be used than play with several powers without really exploring any of them because it's easier to just write someone with a new power than force them to adapt within their limits. Blackbeard being the sole character with two fruits and kind of a joke even with them because he never learns to use them properly and relies on their obvious strengths without covering weaknesses is good as an exception but shouldn't be a new norm.

anime was right posted:

i bet even oda didnt know how blackbeard had two powers, and maybe still doesnt

Why wouldn't he? It's not like it takes much mental strain to come up with some kind of reason. People have come up with entirely reasonable theories here already and been discussing them with years. Coming up with a way isn't the hard part, that's in executing it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

One of the best things about One Piece is the lack of constant power ups.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

EmmyOk posted:

oda set the power ceiling in the baratie arc. its only increased once since then (yonko > high tier shichibukai), and it may increase a final time for the final battle.

a lot of other shounen dont set power ceilings early. only mha and hxh (kinda) did a good job with this.

power ceilings are good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

anime was right posted:

oda set the power ceiling in the baratie arc. its only increased once since then (yonko > high tier shichibukai), and it may increase a final time for the final battle.

a lot of other shounen dont set power ceilings early. only mha and hxh (kinda) did a good job with this.

power ceilings are good.

Yeah exactly. I grew so tired of Bleach and Naruto and their ilk constantly being like "oh did you never hear of this legendary super strong person/organisation? Everyone in world has though". Even how Oda doles out power-ups is great. Second and Third Gear are in the third major arc, then it's a long time before we get fourth. Haki is slowly brought in too and it's a long time before it shows up. Other shows would be on Forbidden Gear 9, Final Form, Unsealed Dragon Mode EX.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah exactly. I grew so tired of Bleach and Naruto and their ilk constantly being like "oh did you never hear of this legendary super strong person/organisation? Everyone in world has though". Even how Oda doles out power-ups is great. Second and Third Gear are in the third major arc, then it's a long time before we get fourth. Haki is slowly brought in too and it's a long time before it shows up. Other shows would be on Forbidden Gear 9, Final Form, Unsealed Dragon Mode EX.

Oda is also pretty good at making sure that everyone is getting power-ups. Naruto and Bleach will give the side characters one power-up for the whole run, and in One Piece, Oda is more like "this time, I'll give Nami a power-up. I think I'll give Robin and Brook one next arc", or something like that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

naruto got a frog mode

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Naruto had some serious power level issues with the final arc. Madara bodied the 5 strongest ninja leaders all at once, off-screen, making him the incomprehensibly strongest character at his debut. Then Obito got a stronger form from the 10tails thing, then the first goodguy hokage came back immortal and even stronger than madara, then madara came back to life and got even stronger stronger, then madara got his eyes back making him super stronger stronger, then he absorbed all the animals and became super duper stronger stronger, then naruto and sasuke got super duper pooper scooper strong upgrades from the ghost of the strongest stronger strongest ninja to ever live strong, then that guy's WIFE GOT RESURRECTED and she was the strongest stronger strongest strong strongest of them all. It's like fighting Vegeta, Freiza, Cell, Buu and the Cat Man from DBS all at the same time.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

Doflamingo said he'd need immortality to make use of it and rule the world, so that's something of a hint. I kind of think it's Uranus, the bargaining chip the Celestial Dragons use to maintain power over the World Government, and that it needs life force to be used or something.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sub Harrison posted:

Naruto had some serious power level issues with the final arc. Madara bodied the 5 strongest ninja leaders all at once, off-screen, making him the incomprehensibly strongest character at his debut. Then Obito got a stronger form from the 10tails thing, then the first goodguy hokage came back immortal and even stronger than madara, then madara came back to life and got even stronger stronger, then madara got his eyes back making him super stronger stronger, then he absorbed all the animals and became super duper stronger stronger, then naruto and sasuke got super duper pooper scooper strong upgrades from the ghost of the strongest stronger strongest ninja to ever live strong, then that guy's WIFE GOT RESURRECTED and she was the strongest stronger strongest strong strongest of them all. It's like fighting Vegeta, Freiza, Cell, Buu and the Cat Man from DBS all at the same time.

This happened all within the space of 72 hours too. Maybe less, my memory got fuzzy about that timespan, since it was basically a few days stretched out to a couple of years

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nah, it was all in like, one day.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the ninja war was literally a third of naruto and yeah it basically lasted a day for the characters

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
one thing that always bugged me at the end of naruto, in the spinoffs, is how there is even any remote threat to naruto and sasuke. given how absurdly they ramped up the power, naruto/sasuke were individually unfathomably powerful than the next up person (like, they were stronger than the first hokage, who was the GOAT, but was now dead. everyone alive was an ant in comparison). i genuinely dont know how they could even have any stakes because legitimately any story from that juncture could realistically be handled by a single shadow clone while real naruto watches tv or whatever

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the funniest part about the end of naruto is that madara would have won had the bunny lady not shown up

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

haha i'm reading the naruto wikia now and chakra was just devil fruits from a day of lavos meteor that grew into a tree

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The other problem with Naruto was that Chakra was a really loose undefined system that he'd later try and add rules to so it just felt like an inconsistent mess. It's like it started out as variable and free as Quirks in MHA or Devil Fruits and then he started to try and add Nen like rules that didn't fit at all.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Zoro constantly injured preventing him from fighting at his full potential is worse than him constantly getting powerups.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

One Piece has been going for what 20 years? And only now are we getting to awakenings.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Did you not see the word "constant" or something?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

the funniest part about the end of naruto is that madara would have won had the bunny lady not shown up
what makes this even funnier is some comment from Kishimoto about a year before then to the effect of "I haven't yet figured out how they will defeat Madara, he's way too strong and also immortal". Turns out a good way to handle that is replace him with a beatable villain.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Devil fruits become even stronger after the user's death. O devil fruit of mine! Become even stronger!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Work Friend Keven posted:

Devil fruits become even stronger after the user's death. O devil fruit of mine! Become even stronger!

I think Luffy with get a second devil fruit so he has both the power of rubber and gum.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Doflamingo said he'd need immortality to make use of it and rule the world, so that's something of a hint. I kind of think it's Uranus, the bargaining chip the Celestial Dragons use to maintain power over the World Government, and that it needs life force to be used or something.

All the government treasures seem to kill you so it's probably something similar. (Fishman Island stuff ages you, Alabasta stuff explodes you after like 12 hours)

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

JosephWongKS posted:

Instead of trying to "make chopper more interesting", Chopper should just be outright replaced with Carrot.

lol poor chopper

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I guess you could say he's for the cut

e: augh dangit I hosed it up

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Has Chopper... done anything this arc? Is he gonna get the same treatment as Robin and end up doing almost nothing even when the story's focusing on the half the crew?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Eiba posted:

Has Chopper... done anything this arc? Is he gonna get the same treatment as Robin and end up doing almost nothing even when the story's focusing on the half the crew?

He had Carrot's help, but they defeated Brulee's crew and they've used her powers for almost everything up until Mom's scream hosed everything up so he's been pretty critical actually. Plus he gave Sanji earplugs and it was really cute

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Chopper doesn't have to do anything except be in merchandise.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

He had Carrot's help, but they defeated Brulee's crew and they've used her powers for almost everything up until Mom's scream hosed everything up so he's been pretty critical actually. Plus he gave Sanji earplugs and it was really cute

He did help a fair amount this arc, but he did nothing as a doctor.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Naruto's powerups are cool, much like DBZ

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I just caught up, what the hell am I supposed to do with my life now

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Chopper will pay off when Sanji cooks him into the ultimate nakama power up for Luffy to fight Blackbeard

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sirtommygunn posted:

I just caught up, what the hell am I supposed to do with my life now

Read Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!