Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gnoman posted:

Surprisingly enough, that particular clause is critical in Turtledove's alternate history book.

Don't think that's surprising. That and the whole slavery thing are really the only two significant departures from the US Constitution. It's not that strange that Turtledove took that clause as a key plot device,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
more memes

one for hey gal

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

zoux posted:

I know that the lifespan of an African slave in the Brazilian cane fields was measured in a handful of years, since the Portuguese flouted the international ban on the slave trade and could replenish their supply. The more "humane" treatment of African slaves in the US was to maintain a breeding population, since the US recognized the international ban on importing slaves in 1807 but didn't outlaw slavery until later.

Kinda sorta? Slaves were actually treated more harshly towards the end of slavery because of increased fear of slave revolts (partly because of the increase in abolitionist sentiment/activity, and also doubling down on the Peculiar Institution in general in opposition to Northern sentiment), but they also become more valuable because of scarcity. It wasn't so much intentionally trying to maintain a breeding population as for the same reason you don't take a two by four to your Mercedes (or very expensive combine harvester) if it's annoying you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhHw60mqcMM

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What were the LMGs, MMGs, and HMGs of the Red Army in WW2? I just recall one of them is the one with the funny circular magazine clip thingy but I can't even recall the name.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like military memes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

What were the LMGs, MMGs, and HMGs of the Red Army in WW2? I just recall one of them is the one with the funny circular magazine clip thingy but I can't even recall the name.

The Degtyaryev infantry machinegun (Degtyaryev Pekhotniy, DP) mod. 1928 was fed with flat disk magazines, that's probably the one you're thinking of.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Didn't they also use Maxim machine guns of all kinds too?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Forget about Dunkirk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJ5dMYx2no

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

gradenko_2000 posted:

IIRC they kept with the Maxim for HMG, replacing it with the DShK over the course of the war.

EDIT: Oh I guess there was also the SG43.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 11, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Steve Buscemi as Nikita Khrushchev

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Jason Isaacs plays a fuckin' spot-on Zhukov

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Fangz posted:

IIRC they kept with the Maxim for HMG, replacing it with the DShK over the course of the war.

EDIT: Oh I guess there was also the SG43.

The SG was a replacement of the Maxim, the DShK was meant for a different purpose. It was also not produced in sufficient numbers, even though everyone wanted to get their hands on it. Because of this, the T-60 was armed with the 20 mm TNSh and T-34s didn't get 12.7 mm AA mounts like IS series tanks did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It makes me nervous when NukeMap is down due to too much traffic :ohdear:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The PM M1910 was a 7.62x54mm Maxim gun used as a heavy machine gun in the original sense of the term: a large, mostly immobile gun that would be dragged into place on the battlefield and left there to deliver constant fire until moving it was absolutely necessary. The SG-43 was a lighter 7.62x54mm gun that was easier to move, but still had the ergonomics of a heavier gun (spade grips and thumb triggers) so you had to lug it around like a heavy machine gun anyway.

The DShK, or "Dushka", fits the modern definition of a heavy machine gun: it fires a 12.7mm (.51 caliber) round that can penetrate light armor and blow heads clean off. The M1910 and SG-43 both came on wheeled carriages so you could move them around easier, but I've exclusively seen DShKs on pintle mounts or tripods.

The Degtyaryov DP-28 was their light machine gun, also chambered in 7.62x54mm but with a 47-round pan magazine and a traditional rifle stock and trigger configuration. It was modified in 1946 to the RP-46, which was belt fed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dbl7AJkX4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJRDzt3jvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzUffOw1TKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgXWJEZzFHE

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

zoux posted:

It makes me nervous when NukeMap is down due to too much traffic :ohdear:

Sky King, Sky King, do not answer
I need not another lie
You're only there to watch us die

Seriously, though, nah, don't panic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

my dad posted:

I need not another lie
You're only there to watch us die

Seriously, though, nah, don't panic.

Oh I'm not worried about catching a nuke here in the middle of Texas but I don't like that for the first time since like 1991 I have to worry about a nuclear exchange between us and another state actor. Although I'm more concerned about us starting it than the DPRK, I get that their nuclear capability is more of a tool to protect against being hosed with than as a weapon.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I deeply appreciate that they just said gently caress it about doing accents.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Reading a book on the German Army in 1917 (frontline experiences of the various Allied offensives) and there's quite a few references to 'automatic rifles' in the British and French armies. Any idea what they're referring to?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Reading a book on the German Army in 1917 (frontline experiences of the various Allied offensives) and there's quite a few references to 'automatic rifles' in the British and French armies. Any idea what they're referring to?

Probably the Chauchat.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

The M1910 and SG-43 both came on wheeled carriages so you could move them around easier, but I've exclusively seen DShKs on pintle mounts or tripods.

The DShK had one too.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Alchenar posted:

For Britain it'll be the Lewis Gun most likely - their LMG which was often referred to as an automatic rifle.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I deeply appreciate that they just said gently caress it about doing accents.

alternative: accents for first two minutes of conversation, cast collectively drops character and says "these accents are fuckin' stupid, I'm from New York or Liverpool or whatever" and then the movie carries on sans accent. they're going for a wacky black comedy power struggle kinda feel, might as well do it gonzo.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Prize Winner posted:

alternative: accents for first two minutes of conversation, cast collectively drops character and says "these accents are fuckin' stupid, I'm from New York or Liverpool or whatever" and then the movie carries on sans accent. they're going for a wacky black comedy power struggle kinda feel, might as well do it gonzo.
the best movie in this area was The Duellists, a thick new york accent in the middle of a movie about napoleonic french officers actually fit

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Do books written by David Irving have any value or is it just Nazi apologetics all the way down?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
(thick Scottish accent) nu parle ruski?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Do books written by David Irving have any value or is it just Nazi apologetics all the way down?

He did one really early thing on Dresden that was well received at the time, but in hindsight it turns out his figures were horseshit.

Pretty much anything with his name on it can be ignored. He's not well respected as a historian, to say the least.

And it's not just Nazi apologetics, he goes straight to Holocaust denial.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
You can pick some good seeds out of David Irving but it's not worth the trouble given the availability of sources that don't require you to take the trouble. The most instructive work in relation to David Irving are the books written by Lipstadt and Richard Evans about the trial - Denial: Holocaust History on Trial, Denying the Holocaust, and Lying About Hitler: History, Holocaust and the David Irving Trial.

bewbies posted:

(thick Scottish accent) nu parle ruski?

Yeah this is actually the best.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

He did one really early thing on Dresden that was well received at the time, but in hindsight it turns out his figures were horseshit.
Frederick Taylor has a detailed takedown of this article in an appendix in the back of Dresden. It's p good

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Disinterested posted:

You can pick some good seeds out of David Irving but it's not worth the trouble given the availability of sources that don't require you to take the trouble. The most instructive work in relation to David Irving are the books written by Lipstadt and Richard Evans about the trial - Denial: Holocaust History on Trial, Denying the Holocaust, and Lying About Hitler: History, Holocaust and the David Irving Trial.

Yeah this is actually the best.

Plus he's one of those giant loving red flags that if he's in your footnotes and your'e not directly addressing that yes, you just cited David loving Irving and here's why people are going to look at you really funny.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Yeah, they're likely referring to single-man-portable machine guns, which the German army never really did; their primary machine gun in 1918 was still basically the same MG 08 as they were using in 1914, and the "light" variants they came up with were still too heavy to be used as flexibly as a Lewis or Chauchat. Same deal with mortars; the Minenwerfer was revolutionary in 1914, but they never bothered to seriously develop it, and while it remained a very good gun in 1918, it still needed a crew of six to move it around and properly emplace it before firing, whereas the Stokes mortar or the French 37mm infantry gun could be carried anywhere and fired without much ceremony in relative ease by two idiots.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The Evans book in particular is like one giant cefte post of never endingly owning Irving but without the swearing and rudeness.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Or go the Mel Brooks To Be Or Not To Be route and have a voiceover declare that the rest of the movie will not be in Russian

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

quote:

In a postscript typed a day later Miller wrote to Irving with further
details:
P.S. I have again to come back to the high figures of victims which I
deny as far as they overgo 50,000. It is a fact that all corpses found
have either been buried or burnt on the Altmarkt. Now we come to
mathematical problems: Do you believe it possible to burn in about
three weeks 110,000 corpses on a fire-grate of railway rails with a
dimension of about 70 x 10 meters? In fact we started collecting
corpses not before February 17 when the town stopped to burn and
enough transport media had been brought together from other cities.
The burning of corpses started about February 21 (one week
after the air raid) and & on the hermetically closed Altmarkt
because we feared the reaction of the population. The burning was
finished to the best of my knowledge about March 15. When you
can find out how long corpses are burning you will believe that a
maximum amount of 10,000-rather 7,000-has been burnt. For
the transportation of the deads [sic] we had only horse-drawn carts
and some rickety trucks which run with producer gas due to the lack
of diesel oil or gasoline. This poor transport capacity could not transport
the gigantic figures of deads [sic] overgoing 100,000 which are
mostly reported. You must check again this problem as one of logistics.
But can anybody really imagine what also 40,000 corpses mean?
If you put them down in a line foot by head it is a street of 42 British
miles! The inner district of Dresden has only a dimension of 2 times
4 miles! So the streets of Dresden looked to the frightened population
like overfloated with corpses, and as a normal human reaction
the survivors reported gigantic figures out of their phantasy.

Yet Miller, his testimony, and his criticisms remained
unmentioned in Irving’s published work

quote:

As if Irving’s new evidence were not already threadbare enough, the
single most important document to date in helping historians decipher
the true Dresden death toll was discovered just as he set about publishing
his own ‘sensational’ source. Following a lecture in Bad Schandau in
East Germany in 1965, a Frau Jurk showed Walter Weidauer a document
belonging to her father-in-law. It was the Final Report issued by the
Dresden police on 15 March 194EL7* Max Jurk had formerly been with
the Dresden police. He had been a colleague of Wolfgang Thierig, the
police colonel responsible for the report. The Final Report bore Jurk’s
dictation initials and was signed by Thierig.~’ This was the very document
from which TB 47 claimed to be an extract.80 It contained exact details
of all the material damage the city had sustained. The key passage read:
“Until early 10.3.1945 established: 18,375 fallen, 2,212 badly wounded,
13,718 slightly wounded, 350,000 homeless and long-term re-quartered.”81
Unlike the copy of TB 47 obtained by Irving, the Final Report
bore both an identifiable signature and was stampedsecret. It ended with
the commentary: “The above report was submitted after agreement on
the documents with the district committee of the NSDAP.” Weidauer
was the first to publish the document in 1966 in a second edition of his
book Znferno Dresden.

The Dresden City archivist Dr. Walter Lange kindly informed Irving
of the existence of this crucial document on 5 April 1966. Irving replied:
“As you know I continue to believe in the authenticity of Tagesbefehl47
signed by Oberst Grosse” based on its stylistic similarity with other documents
signed by Grosse.82 Lange then sent Irving a copy of the new document
on 27 May 1966, informing him that he would be interested in
hearing his opinion on it.83 This was the final piece of evidence any selfrespecting
historian would have required to halt the printing of TB 47 as
authentic.

pdfs suck

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 11, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

You had me at Armando Iannucci.

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008

bewbies posted:

Without the war, they, and slavery, weren't going anywhere...even as cotton prices bottomed out, new opportunities for free labor to make the planter class gobs of money (read: oil) were about to emerge.

Re: the oil. How would the south have used slave labor to profit off of oil? The Texan oil fields weren't developed really until the 1890's. Before that the oil and gas industry was centered almost totally around Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the thing that makes the hair go up on the back of my neck is this: the gauleiter of dresden didn't spend the money for air raid shelters so the people in this city cut holes in their basements so they could walk around from basement to basement. so when the bombing happened people were down there, in that maze that they created...and, hypoxic, they crawled through it, got lost, and smothered. Every time i take something down to the basement I wonder "how many people died in this room"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
PzII Ausf. D-E

Queue: PzII Ausf. F, PzII trials in the USSR, Marder II, Field modifications to American tanks, Israeli improvised armoured cars, Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR, Polish 37 mm anti-tank gun, T-37 with ShKAS, Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38, Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis, 45 mm M-42 gun, SU-76 prototype, ZIK-7 and other light SPG designs, SU-26/T-26-6, SU-122 precursors, SU-122 competitors, Light Tank M5, Medium Tank M3, Tankbuchse 41, s.FH. 18, PzVII Lowe, Tiger #114, Chrysler K, A1E1 Independent, Valentine I-IV, Swedish tanks 1928–1934, Strv 81 and Strv 101, Pak 97/38, 7.5 cm Pak 41, Czechoslovakian post-war prototypes, Praga AH-IV, KV-1S, KV-13, Bazooka, Super Bazooka, Matilda, 76 mm gun mod of the Matilda, Renault FT, Somua, SU-122, SU-122M, KV-13 to IS, T-60 factory #37, D.W. and VK 30.01(H), Wespe and other PzII SPGs, Pz38(t) in the USSR

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
GAZ-71 and GAZ-72

:britain:
25-pounder
Churchill II-IVNEW

:911:
105 mm howitzer M2A1 NEW

:godwin:
Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil
PzII Ausf. G-H NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv m/41
pvkv m/43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Disinterested posted:

Agreed, the trial was incredibly interesting. I haven't gotten around to reading those books, but I have read a pretty decent account of it somewhere. My personal "favorite" is one of Irving's witnesses, a guy named Leuchter. Dude went to Auschwitz, took a piece of the wall from a gas chamber (without the museum's permission, no less,) did a bunch of tests, and put together a whole report about how the building couldn't have been a gas chamber. Irving & co are all delighted that now they finally have scientific proof, right? Except it turns out that Leuchter isn't remotely qualified as a scientist. Not in chemistry, not in toxicology, nothing. The defense called up actual experts, who proceeded to utterly wreck his arguments and credibility. If you like seeing takedowns of pseudoscience, it's a pretty great moment.