Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

If it takes several hours for food to go through your digestive system, why does it seem like certain foods make you farty within minutes of eating them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Mak0rz posted:

If it takes several hours for food to go through your digestive system, why does it seem like certain foods make you farty within minutes of eating them?

A nurse friend of mine explained that process to me once: after you fill your stomach, your body decides it's time to void the oldest food still in your digestive system. That's why so many people poop right after eating a meal. I'd guess the fartiness is related to that process: your body trying to push out what's in the large intestine/colon.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lincoln posted:

A nurse friend of mine explained that process to me once: after you fill your stomach, your body decides it's time to void the oldest food still in your digestive system. That's why so many people poop right after eating a meal. I'd guess the fartiness is related to that process: your body trying to push out what's in the large intestine/colon.

this doesn't make much sense though, I'm lactose intolerant. If I eat cheese (I won't use milk as an example, since that can pass through quite quickly) or yoghurt with my meal, I can get bloated and gassy from lactose intolerant symptoms within 10 minutes.

revolther
May 27, 2008
It's been over a decade since physiology but i'll try. Different foods begin being broken down at different levels at different points in digestion, some like starches start in the mouth, others in the stomach/small intestine. With lactose, your stomach is producing a bunch of chemicals because the large sugar molecules in milk stuffs can't be broken down by your small intestine, so your stomach turns these into smaller sugars the small intestine can process, with lactose intolerance because you can't break down the sugars at all they go through you whole to your colon where it starts brewing with other bacteria.

So like, a bunch of stuff that can't really bond to anything in your gut to get processed is working through you faster than normal, mixing with all the bacteria in your colon making gas which causes bloating. Then i dunno, it probably triggers the positive feedback loop of your body to push some stuff out.

Other foods making you gassy is probably a very similar series of events, gotta remember we eat a LOT of poo poo our bodies were never really built to process.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I want to make a plastic pipe construction like you can see in the background of this image. What diameter of pipe do you think he used? I can only find plastic pipe with a maximum of 2.8cm diameter, which I feel will be too thin and not strong enough to hold up a heavy lamp that I want to hang from it (for hydroponics). He has the lamp hanging near each end, to lessen the amount of stresses on the top pipe. I'd only be able to hang the lamp from the middle, as it's a small lamp and not large enough to hang at each end. It seems easy enough to make, but when I went to B&Q / Homebase, their pipes didn't seem thick enough. Would I also need glue to secure this all together, or would the force of me pushing the pipes in be enough to hold them all in place?

I'd make something out of wood, but wood is hard to work with, would need a lot of sanding, and I would need to lacquer it so it doesn't look ugly in my room.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You'd need to re-engineer the light to hang from the ends instead of the center. You could also use threaded iron pipe instead of pvc pipe. I don't know if you can match the threads on iron pipe to the threads on PVC pipe, but it's worth a shot - then you can do the crossmember (the part the light hangs from) out of iron pipe, and the rest out of PVC.

You need to use PVC glue to hold the PVC together. Don't worry, it's cheap.

Q8ee posted:

I'd make something out of wood, but wood is hard to work with, would need a lot of sanding, and I would need to lacquer it so it doesn't look ugly in my room.
Even if a chick notices that it's hideously ugly, you can ply her with some of your dank weed.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

photomikey posted:

You'd need to re-engineer the light to hang from the ends instead of the center. You could also use threaded iron pipe instead of pvc pipe. I don't know if you can match the threads on iron pipe to the threads on PVC pipe, but it's worth a shot - then you can do the crossmember (the part the light hangs from) out of iron pipe, and the rest out of PVC.

You need to use PVC glue to hold the PVC together. Don't worry, it's cheap.

Awesome, I reckon if I mcgyver the light to hand from each end, I can avoid spending a silly amount on iron pipe, since it seems to only be available in 1m / 3m / 439043m lengths. Only issue is, I can't seem to find pipe that looks thick enough, and I don't know whether it's because I'm overestimating the diameter in the video, or if I'm looking at the wrong type of pipe.

As for dank weed, nah man, I'll ply her with freshly grown lettuce and radishes.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

Awesome, I reckon if I mcgyver the light to hand from each end, I can avoid spending a silly amount on iron pipe, since it seems to only be available in 1m / 3m / 439043m lengths. Only issue is, I can't seem to find pipe that looks thick enough, and I don't know whether it's because I'm overestimating the diameter in the video, or if I'm looking at the wrong type of pipe.

As for dank weed, nah man, I'll ply her with freshly grown lettuce and radishes.

Just bring the lamp to the hardware store and try hanging it from the PVC, using your hands as supports at either end. I bet it will be plenty strong enough for what you need. Alternatively you can just bundle 2 pieces together for a stronger member.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Just my opinion, but in addition to being stronger, iron construction would look way classier than PVC in an industrial decor sort of way.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Q8ee posted:

I can avoid spending a silly amount on iron pipe, since it seems to only be available in 1m / 3m / 439043m lengths.
Ask for help at the hardware store. The have it in every conceivable length. For an oddball length (if 1m won't work for you, how long do you want it? 500cm?) you might need two 250cm and a union.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Is there a thread where I can ask about VPN's, or a resource somewhere someone would recommend?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I've seen https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section/ tossed around as a resource before.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

This guy's basil plants look terrible. You want to pinch the stems off so that two more grow in their place and your plant grows outward instead of straight up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Q8ee posted:

Just call your local machine shop and ask them to cut you a rod in the length that you need. Cheapest steel will do. My last trip there got me two lengths of marine stainless for six bucks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Q8ee posted:

Broomhandle.

Either wooden or metal.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

I want to make a plastic pipe construction like you can see in the background of this image. What diameter of pipe do you think he used? I can only find plastic pipe with a maximum of 2.8cm diameter, which I feel will be too thin and not strong enough to hold up a heavy lamp that I want to hang from it (for hydroponics). He has the lamp hanging near each end, to lessen the amount of stresses on the top pipe. I'd only be able to hang the lamp from the middle, as it's a small lamp and not large enough to hang at each end. It seems easy enough to make, but when I went to B&Q / Homebase, their pipes didn't seem thick enough. Would I also need glue to secure this all together, or would the force of me pushing the pipes in be enough to hold them all in place?

Why would wood take a lot of sanding? Do you not have access to finished lumber?

Also look at shelving like this:

You can wire the lights to the underside of the shelf above your plants and can adjust the heights up and down as the plants grow.

Also pipe thickness (in the US at least) uses "schedule" to describe how thick the wall is. "Normal" pipe is schedule 40, the thicker stuff is usual schedule 80. If you want to use pipe maybe look around for the thicker stuff.
http://www.commercial-industrial-supply.com/resource-center/schedule-40-vs-schedule-80/

veni veni veni posted:

When did sellers decide to just stop leaving buyer feedback on Ebay?

I suspect it was when ebay became more of a collection of storefronts and less of dudes selling crap out of their basements.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I went for a job interview a few days ago. A letter came in the mail today saying that employment begins on 17th August 2017. I've had a change of heart about the job, because I didn't take into account the length of the commute. 1) I'd be spending a sizeable chunk of my salary on fuel every week, 2) my car is on a PCP contract and I can only do 5000 miles a year. I'd be commuting 5 days a week, 60 miles a day, so each month I'd be putting 1,400 miles on the odometer.

If I call the company up and make them aware of my decision to drop out of this job, is that alright? Or is this basically a contract saying "You work for us now" and I have to turn up to the job? There's a little section in the contract that says "Completed Service: Less than one month - no notice required." So I understand that means I can just call up and apologise for wasting their time and say I no longer want the job, aye? I signed some stuff during the interview, but that was all H&S things.

I feel sorta bad cause during the interview, the guy conducting the interview was venting about how annoying it is going through the whole process, only to have them drop out after getting all the paperwork done. It's a warehouse job though, so it has a high turnover, so it's to be expected.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Q8ee posted:

I went for a job interview a few days ago. A letter came in the mail today saying that employment begins on 17th August 2017. I've had a change of heart about the job, because I didn't take into account the length of the commute. 1) I'd be spending a sizeable chunk of my salary on fuel every week, 2) my car is on a PCP contract and I can only do 5000 miles a year. I'd be commuting 5 days a week, 60 miles a day, so each month I'd be putting 1,400 miles on the odometer.

If I call the company up and make them aware of my decision to drop out of this job, is that alright? Or is this basically a contract saying "You work for us now" and I have to turn up to the job? There's a little section in the contract that says "Completed Service: Less than one month - no notice required." So I understand that means I can just call up and apologise for wasting their time and say I no longer want the job, aye? I signed some stuff during the interview, but that was all H&S things.

I feel sorta bad cause during the interview, the guy conducting the interview was venting about how annoying it is going through the whole process, only to have them drop out after getting all the paperwork done. It's a warehouse job though, so it has a high turnover, so it's to be expected.

You haven't signed any kind of contract, have you?

Phone call, 'sorry my grandmother died' . Job done

Don't worry about it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

spog posted:

You haven't signed any kind of contract, have you?

Phone call, 'sorry my grandmother died' . Job done

Don't worry about it.

I signed a bunch of stuff during the interview, but it was to do with health and safety and making sure I understood stuff. I'll call them up and make up something else. Cheers.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Maybe you shouldn't make something up and instead be honest. Maybe they're able to make some accommodations for you, or meet you in the middle. Even if not at least it's a chance. What the hell do you get out of making something up?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Maybe you shouldn't make something up and instead be honest. Maybe they're able to make some accommodations for you, or meet you in the middle. Even if not at least it's a chance. What the hell do you get out of making something up?

It's a warehouse job, they ain't going to do poo poo to accommodate him.

By turning down the job and making someone waste their time on the process, he'll be on an unofficial/official blacklist.

If he makes up a sob story, he might have a chance of reapplying at a later date.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

How can not wanting to do the commute be "accommodated"? Like you can't do warehouse work from home.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

bongwizzard posted:

How can not wanting to do the commute be "accommodated"? Like you can't do warehouse work from home.
They never said they didn't want to do the commute. They said the money didn't add up to cover it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

They never said they didn't want to do the commute. They said the money didn't add up to cover it.

So... a company car?

Or a company forklift and then he could work from home!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

spog posted:

It's a warehouse job, they ain't going to do poo poo to accommodate him.

By turning down the job and making someone waste their time on the process, he'll be on an unofficial/official blacklist.

If he makes up a sob story, he might have a chance of reapplying at a later date.

It being a warehouse job doesn't mean that the company can't be flexible wrt to pay if they're looking for a guy who's reliable and got his poo poo together. You know just as much as I do this company and the OP.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't mind the commute, it's just I'd be spending too much of my salary on fuel, as well as racking up miles on my odometer that I can't spare. I went so far as to think about taking the train into work every day and leaving my car parked up there so I could drive from train station > warehouse, but even that is expensive, and it's 1:15hrs on the train, as opposed to 40 mins by car.

There's no way they could accommodate me lol, they're not gonna be able to pick the warehouse up and move it. It's also a warehouse job so they have an insanely high turnover rate and I'm sure they've got tonnes of other people applying. I'll just call them up and tell them I had another job offer closer to home and accepted that, as both letters came in at the same time.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

It being a warehouse job doesn't mean that the company can't be flexible wrt to pay if they're looking for a guy who's reliable and got his poo poo together. You know just as much as I do this company and the OP.

It's Tesco. They're not gonna give a rookie a higher pay because he has to make a lengthy commute to work. They'll tell me to piss off and just hire one of the hundred other applicants in the local area.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Q8ee posted:

I don't mind the commute, it's just I'd be spending too much of my salary on fuel, as well as racking up miles on my odometer that I can't spare. I went so far as to think about taking the train into work every day and leaving my car parked up there so I could drive from train station > warehouse, but even that is expensive, and it's 1:15hrs on the train, as opposed to 40 mins by car.

Some companies will pick up the tab for a rail pass. You don't know until you ask.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
They could also have a carpool program. (yeah right)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Q8ee posted:

Awesome, I reckon if I mcgyver the light to hand from each end, I can avoid spending a silly amount on iron pipe, since it seems to only be available in 1m / 3m / 439043m lengths.

Is EMT a thing where you are? It's the stuff you run wires through in exposed areas like garages and factory floors. It's thin walled, relatively strong and cheap.

1/2" or whatever is closest in metrique would do you just fine, and there are stupid amount of cheap and readily available connectors (90s, T's, 45's etc).

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Q8ee posted:

The pipe in the pic looks like 1" (2.54 cm) at the most, it might even be 3/4" (1.9 cm). PVC is measured by inside diameter, and I'm not sure if the 2.8 cm pipe that is available to you is an inside or outside diameter measurement (I'm guessing outside), but it should work depending on the length of the top piece in your design and if you can figure out how to hang the light closer to the ends rather than the middle.

It'll be rickety though. And plastic. Might rethink wood. It'll take longer than pushing pieces of plastic together, but it'll be stronger and look better imo. You'd basically be making a large paper towel holder:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I need to cook some tilapia before it goes bad. I've tried to find some recipes online but all I get is lovely clickbait "you won't BELIEVE THESE 10 RECIPES FOR FISH" and even shittier pinterest posts. None of those help me cook tilapia. My family has no recipes either because they suck and live in Arizona and never eat fish.

What's a good, easy recipe for tilapia?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Skeleton King posted:

I need to cook some tilapia before it goes bad. I've tried to find some recipes online but all I get is lovely clickbait "you won't BELIEVE THESE 10 RECIPES FOR FISH" and even shittier pinterest posts. None of those help me cook tilapia. My family has no recipes either because they suck and live in Arizona and never eat fish.

random seasonings that you like that go with fish. bake it in the oven.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tilapia is good fried too.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lemon pepper. Pan fried or baked I guess.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tilapia is perfect for fish tacos imo

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

sounds good, thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

You're overthinking this. Put the tilapia on a pan. Put lemon pepper on it. Add lemon slices for fancy. Heat oven to 400. Put fish in oven for 8 minute or until it flakes off in a fork.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tilapia is mostly flavorless generic whitefish. You can cook it pretty much any way you would cook any other fish, but likely need to add more of whatever the flavor element of the recipe may be.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The guys in this thread are culinary wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
How many alt-right types were at the demonstration yesterday? I read a media account from the day before the rally that said 200-400 were expected but I can't find a single reference to any sort of count (or even estimate) of how many alt-right types (not counterprotesters) showed up.

I'd also be interested in a counterprotester count, but am most interested in how many alt-right were there.