Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Moving to China, just got my visa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
re: stalking as a form of dating :

there is that Korean saying that "every tree falls after you hit it 99 times" so harassment is seen as persistence.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Its not unique to korean my friends mom war reading her old love letters the dad sent her when they were courting.

....It was stalking....he literally wrote to her about his stalking, I mean like listening the 15 minute increments he called her phone and didnt answer.

She thought it was cute.

I really know nothing about korea but I remember some guy in LA telling me how koreans were rather cliquey and how they seem to par up marriages based on what someones job is gonna be.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Nice, but what's with all the 8?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

ladron posted:

re: stalking as a form of dating :

there is that Korean saying that "every tree falls after you hit it 99 times" so harassment is seen as persistence.
This is basically the first several seasons of The Big Bang Theory with Leonard and Penny, and they refer back to it on the show all the time. "He wore me down with repeated begging and persistence!"

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Creepy stalker poo poo

Fiancée's older brother is guilty of this. His gf of 4-5 years broke up with him, so he started buying her various gifts and hanging around for her, even considering following her abroad on holiday.

Jae and I told him to cut that poo poo out, cut his losses, and move on. Get some hobbies, go to the gym, join a club or whatever, just meet some new people. Luckily he seems to have taken the advice and stopped going after her.

Also n'thing the "cooking = magic", since Jae likes me because I have a beard, and I can cook.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

This story was not in any way unique, most of the girls I knew had a similar creepy as gently caress story of how they met their boyfriends, but this was the one where I decided I was never again going to ask how anybody met. As far as I could tell from these and other stories I heard, the main dating strategy in Korea is stalking.

Ugh thats disturbing, at least Chinese dating origin stories are like "Well, my parents were in the elevator one day and some other people in it with them said 'hey we've seen you with your daughter and she's very pretty, is she single? our son is single and maybe they would be a good couple. also our family has money.' so we met and the guy was okay and we ended up getting married because our parents really pressured us even though we dont really like each other that much" which is just depressing

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

ror

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LentThem posted:

Ugh thats disturbing, at least Chinese dating origin stories are like "Well, my parents were in the elevator one day and some other people in it with them said 'hey we've seen you with your daughter and she's very pretty, is she single? our son is single and maybe they would be a good couple. also our family has money.' so we met and the guy was okay and we ended up getting married because our parents really pressured us even though we dont really like each other that much" which is just depressing

I think this is kinda worse somehow. At least in the stalker stories people are active actors in their lives, in China they're apparently extras who didn't quite make the speaking part.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Haier posted:

The Big Bang Theory

Why're you watching Minstrel shows in China, dude?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

WarpedNaba posted:

Nice, but what's with all the 8?

8 very lucky u no

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

LentThem posted:

After we decided to end our relationship, my ex-Chinese LTR was forced by her parents to marry some rich guy from hometown. He promised them if they could make her marry him, he'd buy them a new apartment. They already owned one, and had two other daughters who had married rich dudes that had fancy government jobs and owned nice houses they visited daily.
Anyway, she contacted me a few times before the wedding just to tell me she doesn't like the guy and she misses me, and she wasn't happy to now be stuck in here hometown until she dies. She said if I came back to China, she hoped she could be my side girl. After the wedding I never heard from her again.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

After we decided to end our relationship, my ex-Chinese LTR was forced by her parents to marry some rich guy from hometown. He promised them if they could make her marry him, he'd buy them a new apartment. They already owned one, and had two other daughters who had married rich dudes that had fancy government jobs and owned nice houses they visited daily.
Anyway, she contacted me a few times before the wedding just to tell me she doesn't like the guy and she misses me, and she wasn't happy to now be stuck in here hometown until she dies. She said if I came back to China, she hoped she could be my side girl. After the wedding I never heard from her again.

i still cant get over this sense of obligation people have towards family that they hate.

I know a shanghai girl like this who absolutely hates her parents because they act like oppressive shits (and farmers) but she still won't just walk away. Just some life samples:
-The mother got angry when she found out her daughter had foreign coworkers and said "Foreigners are drug users, i want you to stay away from them or theyll make you do drugs"
-During the lunar festival on the 5th day when the God of Wealth comes you're supposed to light firecrackers to get his attention. Her father will light the firecrackers and then drag them through the apartment (while exploding) to try and lead the wealth god inside.
-Her mom never wants her to hang out with friends after work and will call and yell at her if she's late.
-Her parents won't let her move out to have her own space because they'll be lonely and they want her to have a husband first. But...she's a lesbian and has told them this before.

Okay so oppressive parents could apply anywhere, but the China part of this is that the girl is 28 years old. Her passive-aggressive attempts to get out of this are:
-Buying a dog to serve as a coddling distraction to her mom so that she won't notice as often when she's not home (yes that somehow works).
-Applying for internal relocation at her job to another country that she knows nothing about with a plan to stay indefinitely if possible (abandoning her girlfriend in the process)

i just can't comprehend the mindset on this

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

LentThem posted:

-Applying for internal relocation at her job to another country that she knows nothing about with a plan to stay indefinitely if possible (abandoning her girlfriend in the process)

i just can't comprehend the mindset on this

Peacing out of the country you hate for the first place that comes up is a legit and good strategy.

Source: I've done it three times and aside from ruining my career and leaving me aimless and unfulfilled its working out pretty good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ups_rail posted:

Its not unique to korean my friends mom war reading her old love letters the dad sent her when they were courting.

....It was stalking....he literally wrote to her about his stalking, I mean like listening the 15 minute increments he called her phone and didnt answer.

She thought it was cute.

I really know nothing about korea but I remember some guy in LA telling me how koreans were rather cliquey and how they seem to par up marriages based on what someones job is gonna be.

I'm not saying stalking is uniquely Korean but I have never had the experience of 100% of my friends dating guys because they were stalked anywhere else.

Yes, the job is a big deal. Your parents arrange blind dates based on money and family face relationships.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Guys I've worked out why traffic accidents in China are so bad. It's because card in China literally have no brakes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just had a pretty Thai experience. Was paid $85~ to drink juice and talk about it for 3 hours in a focus group. In order to get into the group, I had to answer questions on a survey to qualify me for the demographics of the product they were selling. But because the company wanted to guarantee they had the minimum number of participants necessary they sent me the "correct" answers to the survey before calling me on the phone. When I strayed from the "correct" answers, they repeated what they "think" they heard until I confirmed that that was what I said.

Chatted with a couple of the other people in the group and turns out they were all coached and were also outside the demographics the company was technically looking for.

Good times.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a lonely desperate virgin and I have a college degree. This thread is making me want to move to China. Maybe I can get a lonely desperate Chinese wife.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I'm a lonely desperate virgin and I have a college degree. This thread is making me want to move to China. Maybe I can get a lonely desperate Chinese wife.

if you have nothing tying you home going somewhere for a few years at the very least will be an adventure, do that

China is hit or miss with how people like it but hey, why not give it a go, what's the worst that could happen

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LentThem posted:

i still cant get over this sense of obligation people have towards family that they hate.

my ex, the one that was originally from Guangdong but now has New Zealand citizenship, was in the process of getting her citizenship to get away from her family. She despised them. Couldn't wait to never see them again. She has a younger brother that gets all the good stuff in the family. Anyway when we started talking about marriage she said her parents asked for a fifty thousand rmb dowry, like eight thousand usd at the time. I said no, she said I must, I said I won't, you hate them, what's the big deal. Why don't we just leave? She said I must do this for my family.

Anyway we ended up breaking up, she married some Chinese New Zealand guy, divorced after a year and a half and hit me up last year and made small talk before asking for like two hundred thousand rmb for her family. I was like hahaha nahhh.

I dodged a major bullet there, at least family wise. It's too bad too because I really loved her. Ah well

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just worried about the future of internet censorship

if they really do make it so I can't browse the forums while in China, that would be a disaster

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
gently caress that, if you want adventure go to Southeast Asia.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I'm just worried about the future of internet censorship

if they really do make it so I can't browse the forums while in China, that would be a disaster

a disaster for whom

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

a disaster for whom

lol nerd

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

gently caress that, if you want adventure go to Southeast Asia.

This has never been a mistake for anyone ever.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Ein cooler Typ posted:

The first time you bring home a girl in your new Chinese life and she undresses and the odor of unwashed butt wafts over to you. Just think, "I have arrived."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Glenn Quebec posted:

The first time you bring home a girl in your new Chinese life and she undresses and the odor of unwashed butt wafts over to you. Just think, "I have arrived."

Go down on a girl and get a crispy, chunky snack at the same time.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Will be in Shanghai tomorrow night for a long layover (8:30 PM Saturday to 7 PM Sunday) if anyone wants to meet up.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Lol if they think they can demand dowry, pay me to marry your unwanted daughter or gently caress off. Minimum ten goats.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Not that anyone cares, or remembers, but here's an update on my visa situation. (Here is where all of you get to laugh at me and say I told you so)

Well after all the faffing about with waiting etc. it turns out that the Jiangsu Provincial Educational Bureau has taken issue with the wording on the DFAT, (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) Authentication of my Police Background Check. Also, they didn't like how the signature on the Police Check was messy and didn't say the persons name or something.

So I now have to apply for another Police Check, somehow telling the Police to sign it properly, then get it Authorised again, again telling DFAT to be extra super duper careful about the wording. (they sent me a copy so as to tell me what wording the Education Bureau finds acceptable), and then get that Authenticated by the Chinese consulate. Again. Like I had done in June.

Anyone familiar with any of these processes know that this will take at least 3 weeks to complete. And even then they can't/won't tell me if/when they can get the work permit to me so as I can take it, (with the rest of the documents I meticulously collected months ago) and apply for my visa.

I offered the possibility of taking the Police Check I have to DFAT to get re-Authenticated, and then re-Authorized at the Chinese Consulate. And they seemed keen. This MIGHT work, and it might not.

But ... gently caress em.

It's the weekend now, but I am going to start looking and applying for new jobs everywhere but China from Monday. Also as further proof of my stupidity/naivete I blame the company less than I blame the weasally petty middle managers at the Education Bureau.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kharnifex posted:

Lol if they think they can demand dowry, pay me to marry your unwanted daughter or gently caress off. Minimum ten goats.

dowries are bad

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Let me recommend Bangkok.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dated a girl with a 200,000 usd dowry. She was not worth it.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

BrigadierSensible posted:

Not that anyone cares, or remembers, but here's an update on my visa situation. (Here is where all of you get to laugh at me and say I told you so)

At least you didn't go to Chinar with a tourist visa

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Well after all the faffing about with waiting etc. it turns out that the Jiangsu Provincial Educational Bureau has taken issue with the wording on the DFAT, (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) Authentication of my Police Background Check. Also, they didn't like how the signature on the Police Check was messy and didn't say the persons name or something.

So I now have to apply for another Police Check, somehow telling the Police to sign it properly, then get it Authorised again, again telling DFAT to be extra super duper careful about the wording. (they sent me a copy so as to tell me what wording the Education Bureau finds acceptable), and then get that Authenticated by the Chinese consulate. Again. Like I had done in June.

Anyone familiar with any of these processes know that this will take at least 3 weeks to complete. And even then they can't/won't tell me if/when they can get the work permit to me so as I can take it, (with the rest of the documents I meticulously collected months ago) and apply for my visa.

I offered the possibility of taking the Police Check I have to DFAT to get re-Authenticated, and then re-Authorized at the Chinese Consulate. And they seemed keen. This MIGHT work, and it might not.

But ... gently caress em.

It's the weekend now, but I am going to start looking and applying for new jobs everywhere but China from Monday. Also as further proof of my stupidity/naivete I blame the company less than I blame the weasally petty middle managers at the Education Bureau.

Thank goodness. You finally made the right call.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Barudak posted:

I dated a girl with a 200,000 usd dowry. She was not worth it.

Elope, divorce, flee.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is it time for lunch martinis yet?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Stolen from relationships thread

quote:

Well, I suppose this gently caress up has happened today, and has been happening everyday for the past seventeen years. 

About seventeen years ago my wife and I adopted a baby from an Asian American family. While we knew very little details, basically what happened with them is that we learned they were too young for children. I made very little inquiries as (they seemed embarrassed/I didn't want to pry). I was just excited to have a son and couldn't have cared less about the parent's history, besides their current and future well being. So as long as they were healthy and willing to gift me with their child, I really did not go too much into their histories. This was my major gently caress up.My wife and I choose to adopt this baby because we felt for the parents and anyone that has been through the adoption process knows that it is much easier to get a non-white baby than it is to get a white one (which is hosed up IMO) and we wanted one NOW and didn't want to be on a wait list. 

Anyway we adopt this beautiful, loving, affectionate and incredible baby. It's truly love at first sight for all of us. Around about eight months we start to feel a little bit of guilt about not raising him in his on ethnic culture and given that we live in an area with a major Chinese population, it would be very easy to introduce him to his roots. So for the next seventeen years we do everything we can to honor his ethnicity. We send him to Chinese language courses and by five he's fluent in Mandarin and English, he gets an "adopted" by a Chinese aunt and uncle (they taught him cultural things and celebrate certain holidays and take him for dim sum every couple of weeks). We've been taking him to China every two years since he was eight. We weren't trying to force him to take up his culture as an "other" in our family, but we didn't want to rob him of it or completely whitewash him either. We try and be PC as possible and we thought we were doing the right thing. 

He's the best thing that has ever happened to me and my wife. There is not a day were I don't just look at him and smile warmly. I love him. 

Anyway we are filling out his college apps/financial aid applications and doing that whole thing. I go to my home office and go through some files and find his old adoption records. I'm not really paying much attention to them and then his biological parents surnames pop out and basically punch me in the face. His parent's last names were PARK AND KIM. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. 

For those of you that do not know, those are Korean last names. My son is not Chinese. Not even a little bit.

He's Korean. 

I suppose I just assumed it because we live in an area on the west coast where there are a lot of Chinese immigrants and Chinese-Americans have been living for generations and generations. I don't always assume every Asian is Chinese, but I did assume this for my son. Now I have a seventeen year old Korean son that thinks he Chinese. Now that I look at him, he looks INCREDIBLY Korean in comparassion to all of the photos of Korean men that I have just googled. Very square jaw, less hooded eyes, very broad build. None of this ever crossed my mind. I've dedicated nearly two decades to helping my son be close to roots that aren't even his. I realize that I've just been loving up. I feel like a complete rear end in a top hat to the nth degree. I'm that dumb liberal white dickhead. gently caress. 

I have yet to disclose this to my son or wife. 

I honestly don't even know if I will. 

TL;DR: Assumed my son was Chinese and I've spent his whole life playing homage to his roots, he's Korean. 

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

quote:

Around about eight months we start to feel a little bit of guilt about not raising him in his on ethnic culture and given that we live in an area with a major Chinese population, it would be very easy to introduce him to his roots.
What roots? It's a baby. The kid has no loving clue unless you force it down his throat. Those people are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That can't be real. Oh god that can't be real.

• Locked thread