Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

reignofevil posted:

I actually dont buy the whole "The original was so good that no matter what a remake/sequel/unterseaboot would be hated" because when has that actually been true ever?

People want to like things. They want to like things that they have liked before. They really do.

So make them something good instead of bad and watch as they like the thing they liked before.... again!

The problem with "good things", especially in niche genre films like sci-fi adventure comedy, is that they don't make bank right away and may take years to find a cult audience. I don't think Ghostbusters performed that well at the box office, and it took a little bit before it reached total pop culture saturation.

Modern studios don't have the balls to sit and wait for a movie to take-off and let the money they invested trickle back through merchandising and spin-offs. They want all the loving money, all upfront, and so they hire milquetoast writers and directors who will make the most Mediocre Consumer Product possible to have the widest mass appeal, then they hope for all the pieces to just fall into place after their massive marketing pre-hype push (or fake "backlash" in the case of GB2016).

corn in the bible posted:

idea for ghostbusters soft reboot: the ghostbusters, famous for saving new york decades ago, broke up due to the tragic death of egon. now ghosts are back and a new team of believers, inspired by their example, tries to deal with it unsuccessfully for a bit (insert some comedy here cause they're bad at the job?) but ultimately convinces venkman or ray to give them some secret of the technology that egon left in his notes so they can finish their new proton pack design and save the world.

a remake of Stripes but instead of army boot camp it's ghost busting boot camp, headed by Ray Stantz with Peter Venkman as the drill sergeant who hits on the way-too-young women recruits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

King Vidiot posted:

The problem with "good things", especially in niche genre films like sci-fi adventure comedy, is that they don't make bank right away and may take years to find a cult audience. I don't think Ghostbusters performed that well at the box office, and it took a little bit before it reached total pop culture saturation.

Nope. The 1984 film was a monster hit, the second highest grossing film of the year, and the most successful comedy of the 80's.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
An homage to The Office but they're all minor workers in the Scranton branch of Ghostbusters Inc. Bill Murray cameos as the CEO who visits their office briefly and makes fun of their boss

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

And yeah, I basically have that Kevin Smith speech memorized.

That's the point. No one ever tells the dipshits at the top NO. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry could tell you a half billion dollar Ghostbusters movie, Superman that doesn't fly and fights a spider, Pluto Nash, Catwoman, etc. are loving BAD IDEAS. But no one hires a sane person to tell them no. That's what I'm joking about.

And 100% yes Paul Feig deserves 100% of the blame. See previous. The studio was going to make it. He grifted getting the job. He grifted the budget. He grifted the actors. He wrote and shot the piece of poo poo. He kissed rear end and tried to start his own company within. He conned everyone. Sony executives are merely stupid and clueless (see: every Sony movie). Feig knew exactly what his con was. And it blew up in his lovely grifter face and he tried to take all the credit then passed all the blame.

Execs hosed up by never telling him no. He hosed up by trying to build an empire out of everyone else's money and labor while contributing gently caress all because he knows he's a fraud that got where he is because of Kristen Wiig's writing and nothing else. But he does know the studio system.

Feig can not get a pass. The con man isn't innocent just because people got conned.

Yeah I mean, I'm definitely not sad that failed conman Paul Fieg got stomped, it's just that stupid executives annoy me much more in general

And I mean... he's not even a very good conman because the only people he fooled were the dumbass execs and dopes who bought into the "you just hate this movie because sexism!" narrative

Nobody else bought it, because well... nobody went to go see the movie lol

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

An homage to The Office but they're all minor workers in the Scranton branch of Ghostbusters Inc. Bill Murray cameos as the CEO who visits their office briefly and makes fun of their boss

Somewhere Rainn Wilson is sadly sitting by his phone waiting for his agent to call.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dmitri-9 posted:

Neil Casey and Zach Woods are UCB improv people unless you meant the original UCB troupe.

Well then they should've cast them better. Neil Casey would've made a fine villain had his character been a completely different character.

I mean poo poo, if they're just gonna rip off the original whole cloth, Neil Casey could've been the rear end in a top hat EPA guy and Zach Woods would be his sniveling lackey who eventually turns on his boss and helps the Ghostbusters in the end. Also I'm pretty sure those two actors weren't given as much (or any?) leeway to improv like the main cast.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah I mean, I'm definitely not sad that failed conman Paul Fieg got stomped, it's just that stupid executives annoy me much more in general

And I mean... he's not even a very good conman because the only people he fooled were the dumbass execs and dopes who bought into the "you just hate this movie because sexism!" narrative

Nobody else bought it, because well... nobody went to go see the movie lol

Ironically that's not true either, because it made 200million at the box office. He just bloated the budget so much with stupid decisions that it still was a flop

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the effects also look worse than those in a 33 year old flick.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ironically that's not true either, because it made 200million at the box office. He just bloated the budget so much with stupid decisions that it still was a flop

IIRC the shooting budget was 155M, but the studio spent something like 350M on marketing and miscellaneous poo poo, and you can basically cut the foreign box office take in half, plus American theaters kept X amount, so all told they lost something like 250M.

On a comedy.

KMART THE MOVIE
Aug 9, 2017
Wasn't the ghost busters movie too spooky for the Chinese market? Plus they would never laugh at ghosts.... To disrespectful to ancestors.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

KMART THE MOVIE posted:

Wasn't the ghost busters movie too spooky for the Chinese market? Plus they would never laugh at ghosts.... To disrespectful to ancestors.

It has skeletons in it so it can't be shown in China

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

So since they are ghosts, and since most of the "ghosts" in Ghostbusters are some type of creature, does that mean they're the ghosts of dead aliens, or ghosts of dead demons?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

So since they are ghosts, and since most of the "ghosts" in Ghostbusters are some type of creature, does that mean they're the ghosts of dead aliens, or ghosts of dead demons?

"Yes! Ghost aliens!"

--Paul Feig

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

"Yes! Ghost aliens!"

--Paul Feig

As read by Mike

KMART THE MOVIE
Aug 9, 2017
I always just assumed a lot of the ghosts were demons or something. But now I know the truth....theres actually no ghosts, they are just special effects

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

"Yes! Ghost aliens!"

--Paul Feig

"Those were some of the most - and I'm not exaggerating - some of the most talented ghost aliens I have ever had the privilege to work with."

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

IIRC the shooting budget was 155M, but the studio spent something like 350M on marketing and miscellaneous poo poo

How? Why? Could any movie made in 2015 recoup that amount of money? These idiots sell their soul to Papa John's and Krispy Kream and they still come out at a loss. The Hollywood business model is stupid.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

hard counter posted:

uncomfortable truth: when i talk to regular people irl jack is more frequently loathed than josh, most people simply just find josh fantastically mild and unworthy of further consideration

cumfortable truth: jay has literally never done worse than gently caress in gently caress-marry-kill

Regular people irl don't have opinions on the RLM crew

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i hope stallone wins his lawsuit so hollywood accounting can die.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

KMART THE MOVIE posted:

China's official censorship guidelines technically prohibit movies that "promote cults or superstition"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
lol i clicked on corn's probation avatar to see what that was about and saw the ghostbusters thread

it's the cd rlm thread all over again

there's a bunch of people who actually dislike ghostbusters 2016 but the entire thread is right now arguing with misterbibs and corn got probated for calling misterbibs an idiot.

Why the gently caress is misterbibs protected there for derailing entire threads with trolling/stupidity and calling him out is punishable. :wtf:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

lol i clicked on corn's probation avatar to see what that was about and saw the ghostbusters thread

there's a bunch of people who actually dislike ghostbusters 2016 but the entire thread is right now arguing with misterbibs and corn got probated for calling misterbibs an idiot.

Why the gently caress is misterbibs protected there for derailing entire threads with trolling/stupidity and calling him out is punishable. :wtf:

This is why I avoid most subforums.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Because that forum is bad and we gotta wait for whoever is in charge to go 'ok enough' and swap out the leadership.
The same sort of stuff happened in some other forum where people were talking about drinking animal fat as a weight loss diet and then someone developed diabetes because of it, came back to the thread and told everyone that his doctor said it was because of this diet and then the poster got probated. For telling people actual facts lmao

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

King Vidiot posted:

Ghostbusters was the highest grossing movie (in the US) of 1984 at around $250 million which was insanely good back then. The previous year was Return of the Jedi with around $310 million.

Irradiation fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 11, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Hemingway To Go! posted:

lol yeah dude what did I say, never post in CD, not even once

MisterBibs is one of the dumbest people on earth and he's like the baseline for discussion there

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

KakerMix posted:

Because that forum is bad and we gotta wait for whoever is in charge to go 'ok enough' and swap out the leadership.
The same sort of stuff happened in some other forum where people were talking about drinking animal fat as a weight loss diet and then someone developed diabetes because of it, came back to the thread and told everyone that his doctor said it was because of this diet and then the poster got probated. For telling people actual facts lmao

Classic.

Dude was like 21 years old and his doctor put him on loving statins because his diet of cheese and bacon was literally killing him. He was beyond lethargic, his liver was shutting down, and his heart was entirely made of plaque. He was perfectly healthy before the "diet".

The Watch & Weight mod banned anyone who said this was a bad thing.

Replace keto diets with SMG and MisterBibs and that's how CD operates. (see also: the TCC mod who was telling heroin junkies to do acid)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This site is hosed up.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I love our dead gay forums

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Irradiation posted:

Ghostbusters was the highest grossing movie of 1984 at around $250 million which was insanely good back then. The previous year was Return of the Jedi with around $310 million.

not saying ~230 mill wasn't insanely good back then but beverly hills cop was the highest grossing movie that year, it was an r-rated movie with half the budget of gb84 with next to no marketing but still spent a long stretch of time as the #1 film that week thanks to excellent word of mouth, that year also had police academy and gremlins do pretty well, doing like ~150 mill and ~80 mill

the whole argument that it took an unrepeatable arcane recipe to catch lightning in a bottle and make gb84 both the perfect film and critical & financial successes is probably the hardest part of the plinkett review to accept, like if gb84 wasn't marketable to kids and had toys, cartoons and later on games and stuff it'd be getting buried in the sands of time too along with the other decent films, it's weird having the praise be so shameless to the point where you couldn't make a successful film with proton packs, sfx ghosts and a new cast without pulling off the exact same blood ritual gb84 did, like all you'd really need is a director worth a drat who'd know good improv from bad and who didn't also write a script so bad there was nothing to fall back on to

at least mike did start ragging on bill murray, now that's the kind of cynicism i respect, hail hydra

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

wikipedia on Beverly Hills Cop posted:

It earned $234 million at the North American domestic box office, making it the highest-grossing film of 1984 in the U.S.

wikipedia on Ghostbusters posted:

It received a positive response from critics and audiences and grossed $242 million in the United States

242 > 234 wikipedia

Also Beverly Hills cop took 18 weeks to hit $200 mil and Ghostbusters only took 15. The point is that Ghostbusters did very well.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What exactly is your point? 4 of the most brilliant and talented directors made 4 comedies at the same time that all ranged from successful to literally one of the most beloved films on earth.

So it can't be lightning in a bottle if someone made more money? It can't be a beloved masterpiece that is one of the most recognized and cherished films in the world because at release another comedy did better?

Are you saying Pitch Perfect 2 is more popular and well regarded and will endure for decades because its lowly piece of poo poo competitor Fury Road made a few less dollars on initial release?

Are you MisterBibs? 🤔

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Classic.

Dude was like 21 years old and his doctor put him on loving statins because his diet of cheese and bacon was literally killing him. He was beyond lethargic, his liver was shutting down, and his heart was entirely made of plaque. He was perfectly healthy before the "diet".

The Watch & Weight mod banned anyone who said this was a bad thing.

Replace keto diets with SMG and MisterBibs and that's how CD operates. (see also: the TCC mod who was telling heroin junkies to do acid)

This is the most hosed up thing I've ever read on this website.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HIJK posted:

my favorite is the tcc phenatyl thread. people explaining how they took a small dose(like a single grain of sand), blacked out for 2 weeks, maxed out every form of credit available to them, destroyed their entire house/apartment and nobody in their family will acknowledge their existence anymore and mild rashes are starting to turn into open sores. posters replying AFTER that are like: "cool so my order came in, how do u cut the grain of sand in half???"

lmao

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^ lmao

HIJK posted:

Wait til you hear about the goon slave camp in Hawaii that tried to prevent their tree-uprooting construction equipment from being stolen by tying said tree remover to a tree.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

there's more than one way to make a successful film and maybe there was too much focus on gb16 making different decisions from gb84 than there was on gb16 making bad decisions, like the whole gimmick of there only being tightly written sci fi/comedy with no room for improv is a separate thing to say from fegi just being a con artist who whiffed hard on a film or the film having horrible technical issues in editing, and the kind of commentary that gb84 only happened thanks to a perfect storm didn't need to be included because you can dissect that travesty without saying unnecessary poo poo

if that's a misterbibs' tier comment then i gotta say maybe he's maligned for no reason but i really don't want to loving say that

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

bring back old gbs posted:

my favorite is the tcc phenatyl thread. people explaining how they took a small dose(like a single grain of sand), blacked out for 2 weeks, maxed out every form of credit available to them, destroyed their entire house/apartment and nobody in their family will acknowledge their existence anymore and mild rashes are starting to turn into open sores. posters replying AFTER that are like: "cool so my order came in, how do u cut the grain of sand in half???"

lmao

:captainpop:

^ lmao

Wait til you hear about the goon slave camp in Hawaii that tried to prevent their tree-uprooting construction equipment from being stolen by tying said tree remover to a tree.

I am disgusted yet intrigued. Please expand?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao

Phenazepam. It's not like it's hard to get a Xanax script anyway.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I kinda feel bad that TCC has provided so much comedy at the expense of human lives.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dmitri-9 posted:

Phenazepam. It's not like it's hard to get a Xanax script anyway.

yesssssssssss lmao i knew it started with a Ph

thats just one thread, theres a back-patting heroin thread, all sorts of terrible life choices but its ok because 50 other people are slightly worse off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KMART THE MOVIE
Aug 9, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

I kinda feel bad that TCC has provided so much comedy at the expense of human lives.

I'm loving delighted every time I'm reminded of it

• Locked thread