Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is the biggest fail club
This poll is closed.
arsenal 9223372036854775807 100.00%
not arsenal 1 0.00%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Completely lost my head about Phil earlier but calmed down a bit now. FSG have to stay strong after that statement. If they let him go then they lose the confidence of the fans and undermine Klopp. We can't replace him in this window; hell, we can barely get anyone in this window.

Shrapnig posted:

We all love to lol.

All of this was true at the time. I wonder what's changed since then.

Also

PirateBob posted:

Type it up. This forum barely has any serious posting and it sucks.

Ninpo posted:

Because serious posts get trolled/mocked into irrelevance within a page or two.

btw Chuggo he's poo poo haha

Hmm yes wonder why nobody serious posts any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Here's a serious post

Liverpoo

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Cant believe we're in a world where Liverpool have refused 100 mil for loving Coutinho

United have/will spend 90 million on Lukaku, who scored 25 goals in all competitions last season. Compared to that Neymar is a bargain (he's not).

PST fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 11, 2017

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Here's a serious post

Liverpoo

Huge news if true.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Reddit has a lot of serious posts.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

All of this was true at the time. I wonder what's changed since then.

He probably sat down and considered all the success he could have if he played for a big club.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I love serious posts and want to know why Liverpool fans would be so upset at losing Coutinho for £100m.

even if you assume FSG don't need the money and can laugh off £100m, if you think Coutinho is so absolutely vital to whatever the season's goal is then the team is probably too frail to achieve them anyway.

£100m might not go very far in this ridiculous window but you'd still get a couple very good players for it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

kcer posted:

I love serious posts and want to know why Liverpool fans would be so upset at losing Coutinho for £100m.

even if you assume FSG don't need the money and can laugh off £100m, if you think Coutinho is so absolutely vital to whatever the season's goal is then the team is probably too frail to achieve them anyway.

I think the point Chuggo and others would make if they would :justpost: is not that getting a 100 million for him would be bad, it's that the replacement for him would not be ready in time. What fast, skilled, European proven attacking midfielder is available right now that a team would be willing to let go and wouldn't be able to laugh off 100 million? I haven't seen anyone post any names. Anyone on PSG, Chelsea, City, Barca, RM, Juve and Bayern is probably not for sale.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Ah you edited your post kcer!!!

Yes you could shore up a lot of positions for that much. If this had started in the beginning of the window I think it would've been a lot easier for Liverpool to accept it.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

kcer posted:

£100m might not go very far in this ridiculous window but you'd still get a couple very good players for it.

We're really struggling this summer to sign anyone. Salah was the outlier (at least in terms of our top targets), we completely hosed up with VVD and got strung along with Keita. Having an additional £100m wouldn't really help that, we'd also get gauged on prices and I'm not really sure there's anyone out there who's available who would be able to replace Phil.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Maybe Liverpool should have had more than 3 transfer targets

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
We almost hosed up Salah

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Newcastle have been linked with some Nigerian striker who plays for Austria wien

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gigi Galli posted:

I think the point Chuggo and others would make if they would :justpost: is not that getting a 100 million for him would be bad, it's that the replacement for him would not be ready in time. What fast, skilled, European proven attacking midfielder is available right now that a team would be willing to let go and wouldn't be able to laugh off 100 million? I haven't seen anyone post any names. Anyone on PSG, Chelsea, City, Barca, RM, Juve and Bayern is probably not for sale.

Cooters out Reus in

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I never rated Coutinho anyway.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Jose posted:

Newcastle have been linked with some Nigerian striker who plays for Austria wien

Dear Respected Mr Benitez.
Permit me to inform you of my desire of going into sporting relationship with you. I got your contact from the International football directory. I prayed over it and selected your name among other names due to it’s esteeming nature and the recommendations given to me as a reputable and trust worthy person I can play football for and by the recommendations I must not hesitate to confide in you for this simple and sincere business.
I am Olarenwaju Kayode; the only Son of late Mr and Mrs George Kayode. My father was a very wealthy cocoa merchant in Abidjan, the economic capital of Ivory Coast before he was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outing to discus on a

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

T Bowl posted:

Reddit has a lot of serious posts.

The Liverpool fans on there are having a collective meltdown and are down voting anything that remotely suggests that Coutinho has handed in a transfer request or may be leaving.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
i love footballers with long contracts who have big whiny baby tantrums and leave because the team is poo poo because people like them are on it

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Do you guys agree with whichever family member of Coutinho's that said nobody ever leaves Liverpool on amicable terms?

Stevie G counts I'm pretty sure as amicable but he was more "retiring"

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The VVD and Keita sagas have eroded almost all confidence fans could have that Liverpool can find a replacement for Coutinho and get him signed in time. Not only did Liverpool dangle out fees that would have been club records to no avail, but the rumors of links to other players have completely dried up. I don't think that's all down to the supposed post-Van Dijk leak clampdown.

Also, Klopp seems Wenger-like in his belief that you shouldn't sign someone unless you're certain he will be an improvement and not just be the same as what you already have. That's normally admirable, but especially given Lallana's recent injury, losing Coutinho permanently puts Liverpool one more injury away from a season-stalling midfield crisis. Without Coutinho, the midfield can get pretty uninspired, as Can, Wijnaldum and Henderson seem to overlap in all the wrong ways if you put them all together.

Maybe Liverpool fans should just be used to this by now, but it'd be nice not to follow a season when real progress has been made by multiple disjointed shitshow seasons again.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Tsaedje posted:

We've got a Nasri going spare, anyone want him? Please? Anyone?

Apparently City want £10m for him. If they let him leave on a free I bet someone like Nice or Marseille or maybe a London club with too much money would take him. And as much as I hate his stupid face I also think he's going to look better with a change of scenery, an arm around his shoulder and a smaller club.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Do you guys agree with whichever family member of Coutinho's that said nobody ever leaves Liverpool on amicable terms?

No

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
It's not as if Liverpool's season hinges completely on having Coutinho or not. I thought he was always a bit inconsistent anyway?

Just take the £100m, that's 1.1 Pogbas, it's absolutely crazy money.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ozmunkeh posted:

Dear Respected Mr Benitez.
Permit me to inform you of my desire of going into sporting relationship with you. I got your contact from the International football directory. I prayed over it and selected your name among other names due to it’s esteeming nature and the recommendations given to me as a reputable and trust worthy person I can play football for and by the recommendations I must not hesitate to confide in you for this simple and sincere business.
I am Olarenwaju Kayode; the only Son of late Mr and Mrs George Kayode. My father was a very wealthy cocoa merchant in Abidjan, the economic capital of Ivory Coast before he was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outing to discus on a

Would

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Liverpool will be a midtable shithouse whatever happens, might as well be a midtable shithouse with £100m in the bank

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Lucas left on amicable terms

re: Coutinho, as others have said the issue is not that Coutinho is the best player in the world and the entire club will implode if we sell him. He probably isn't even the best player on the team, last season that was Mane. The issue is that Liverpool clearly aren't in need of money, we already spent 45m on Salah and were offering even higher sums for both Keita and Van Dijk, so although I'm sure the club's accountants would love another 100m on the books it's not like we're a week away from insolvency, and probably wouldn't be able to sign anyone of equivalent ability this window unless they really rush through it, which doesn't seem to be the club's negotiating strength at the moment. Add to this that although Coutinho isn't the world's best player, he fits really well with the current squad and the way Klopp has the team set up, and he's been at the club for almost five years so he's well-integrated into the side, so even if we were able to sign an adequate replacement it could take a long time for them to reach the same level that Coutinho performs at.

On top of that, there's the fact that we know Barcelona are absolutely flush with Qatar cash now so there's no reason not to hold out for an even higher fee if the end-goal is to sell him after all.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PirateBob posted:

It's not as if Liverpool's season hinges completely on having Coutinho or not. I thought he was always a bit inconsistent anyway?

He's a bit inconsistent but when he has a good game or hits a good run of form he's really good and last season Liverpool's game plan against teams sitting back was basically to either have Mane run at them or have Coutinho score a goal from distance or a free kick, especially after Mane got injured. He's an important part of the way the team plays and would be hard to replace.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The best teams get their poo poo done early. The rest pay a premium to Daniel Levy or whoever and get poo poo.

hadji murad posted:

can your jack rear end source this?

Not really, but at a glance, you called Willian a cast-off. That's probably what he meant.

I think Willian is great. Tracks back, can bang in a free kick or two. I'd rather have him hauling rear end around the pitch than Jesse Lingard. He is, however, 29.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Liverpool will be a midtable shithouse whatever happens, might as well be a midtable shithouse with £100m in the bank

You're an arsenal supporter

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Coutinho is not the best midfielder in the world, but he is an excellent midfielder who is proven in the league and settled in the team (or at least he was). As others have said, naming a realistic replacement of similar quality for him is not easy. If you get £100m for Coutinho then have to spend most/all/more on a replacement that might not work out, that's not great business, in an economic or football sense.

I don't know why some people are struggling to grasp this.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jose posted:

You're an arsenal supporter

That's how you know I know what I'm talking about

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Coutinho is not the best midfielder in the world, but he is an excellent midfielder who is proven in the league and settled in the team (or at least he was). As others have said, naming a realistic replacement of similar quality for him is not easy. If you get £100m for Coutinho then have to spend most/all/more on a replacement that might not work out, that's not great business, in an economic or football sense.

I don't know why some people are struggling to grasp this.

Grasp this: He really doesn't want to play for Liverpoo anymore :laugh:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

PirateBob posted:

You can't really use Pogba to justify Coutinho's fee. But if you were:

-Established Premier League player
-One of, if not the most important players on the team
-Recently signed a new long term contract with no release clause
-It's August
-Barcelona just received £200m

£100m is too little if anything.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I think it's fair to say when our best players leave it's not on the best of terms. I would say that's more on the player than the club. Torres forced his way out on deadline day. Suarez bit a dude. Sterling did his whole media thing (nobody came out looking good in that).

In regards to Gerrard I'm pretty sure they mean his aborted transfer to Chelsea.

Jose posted:

Maybe Liverpool should have had more than 3 transfer targets

Klopp wants three players, might as well take those as far as possible before we turn our sights to the next guy (this is how I'm trying to justify it in my head).

blue footed boobie posted:

The Liverpool fans on there are having a collective meltdown and are down voting anything that remotely suggests that Coutinho has handed in a transfer request or may be leaving.

Fans of other teams are massively upvoting any tenuous Coutinho transfer story and downvoting anyone who calls fake. Reddit's up/downvote system is stupid but at least you can actually serious post there and not have "lol Liverpoo" a hundred times.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I'd rather not lose him but if we have to then pffffff gently caress this 100m nonsense, Barca's flush with cash, let's price them up.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

What do you think they're smoking over there at Camp Nou?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Xabi posted:

What do you think they're smoking over there at Camp Nou?

100€ bills.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I'd rather not lose him but if we have to then pffffff gently caress this 100m nonsense, Barca's flush with cash, let's price them up.

Pretty sure that's exactly what you're doing, asking 100 million for Coutinho

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

EvilHawk posted:

You can't really use Pogba to justify Coutinho's fee. But if you were:

-Established Premier League player
-One of, if not the most important players on the team
-Recently signed a new long term contract with no release clause
-It's August
-Barcelona just received £200m

£100m is too little if anything.

I think it's fair to say when our best players leave it's not on the best of terms. I would say that's more on the player than the club. Torres forced his way out on deadline day. Suarez bit a dude. Sterling did his whole media thing (nobody came out looking good in that).

In regards to Gerrard I'm pretty sure they mean his aborted transfer to Chelsea.

Klopp wants three players, might as well take those as far as possible before we turn our sights to the next guy (this is how I'm trying to justify it in my head).

Fans of other teams are massively upvoting any tenuous Coutinho transfer story and downvoting anyone who calls fake. Reddit's up/downvote system is stupid but at least you can actually serious post there and not have "lol Liverpoo" a hundred times.

:qq:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

This is why nobody does serious posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

i love footballers with long contracts who have big whiny baby tantrums and leave because the team is poo poo because people like them are on it
I like it when fans defend players having these tantrums as well by saying things like "you may as well let him go if he doesn't want to be there". He really wanted to be there when he signed his contract, so he should shut the gently caress up and do his job.

(although Coutinho isn't really having a tantrum right now and hasn't done anything silly yet)

• Locked thread