Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any podcasts out there for synths? Or even composing/sound design? I'm sure they exist, but do any of you have recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

loga mira posted:

TomCat was the drum machine, with Toms where Rhythm Wolf had the rhythms the synth voice. They were such a spectacular blunder these things. Someone's gonna make one killer tone with it and invent wolfstep.

Just watch a 16 year-old pick one up at a yard sale for $2 a decade from now. They go on to write a massive hit with it, causing a boom in demand that sees NOS Rhythm Wolves fetching $1k on eBay.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just watch a 16 year-old pick one up at a yard sale for $2 a decade from now. They go on to write a massive hit with it, causing a boom in demand that sees NOS Rhythm Wolves fetching $1k on eBay.

The problem with this is that for something to have retro value, it had to have SOME value in the first place.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrSargent posted:

The problem with this is that for something to have retro value, it had to have SOME value in the first place.

Nah, there are tons of creative works and physical products that had totally atrocious initial receptions, only to be hailed as "misunderstood" or "daring and before their time" years later, or to wind up with some redeeming novel use after their initial buzz flopped.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Like, you are only buying smaller footprint gear? Otherwise I don't understand.

I'm selling more gear than I'm buying. I swear it's possible. Deeply painful, but possible.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm selling more gear than I'm buying. I swear it's possible. Deeply painful, but possible.

selling a few modules to get a qmmg, huh?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any podcasts out there for synths? Or even composing/sound design? I'm sure they exist, but do any of you have recommendations?

Song Exploder is pretty cool

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

magiccarpet posted:

Song Exploder is pretty cool

Yep.

In a more synth-focused direction, Sonic Talk is alright, it's more gear-oriented than artist-oriented tho.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
I've listened to a few episodes of Ask.Audio's Synth Stories and it's alright so far. A little bit like Song Exploder, but they focus on specific synths and how they were used to create some of the sounds in a song.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thanks everyone for the podcast recommendations! I'll check them all out.

Meanwhile, holy poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TINipplljcE

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MrSargent posted:

Of course, the first MPC1000 I looked at on Google only had MIDI In/Out and USB which is the poo poo-tier I think you are referring to. Ignore me.

Nah, gotta dunk on you some more :v:. The MPC1000 has audio out and the USB is for file transfer. The MPD series is the controller and has no audio out. The MPC Renaissance is the audio interface and controller, but here is the trick; check the specifications and if it does not list the internal memory size, it is not a sampler.

e: Google sometimes lies so the only truth is the model number on the device

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 11, 2017

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
MPC1k is the apex of the design if you're not a babby about the screen imo. It's so good the community built a loving giant screen for the babbys.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
anyone have any hands on with the MPClive yet? ive heard its buggy and runs on linux and the list of fixes submitted by beta testers has gone largely ignored. Seems like a nice growth from the mpc1k but early access gear builds seems to be an AKAI thing now.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Clavavisage posted:

anyone have any hands on with the MPClive yet? ive heard its buggy and runs on linux and the list of fixes submitted by beta testers has gone largely ignored. Seems like a nice growth from the mpc1k but early access gear builds seems to be an AKAI thing now.

poo poo loving garbage has been an AKAI thing for years. No personal experience with mpclive.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Nah, gotta dunk on you some more :v:. The MPC1000 has audio out and the USB is for file transfer. The MPD series is the controller and has no audio out. The MPC Renaissance is the audio interface and controller, but here is the trick; check the specifications and if it does not list the internal memory size, it is not a sampler.

e: Google sometimes lies so the only truth is the model number on the device

I actually appreciate the dunking, thanks a lot for clarifying.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

While we're on the subject, what's a reasonable price for an MPC1000 (used, ofc)? And should preloaded JJOS affect the price in any significant way? I've bounced between doing something like an octatrack or an MPC for a while, but honestly Elektron doing kind of weird reissues with the MkII label has got me scratching my head. I love my A4 but I don't wanna drop the cash on a new Octatrack MkII, or buy a used MkI and wonder if it was the wrong choice for years.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

MockingQuantum posted:

While we're on the subject, what's a reasonable price for an MPC1000 (used, ofc)? And should preloaded JJOS affect the price in any significant way? I've bounced between doing something like an octatrack or an MPC for a while, but honestly Elektron doing kind of weird reissues with the MkII label has got me scratching my head. I love my A4 but I don't wanna drop the cash on a new Octatrack MkII, or buy a used MkI and wonder if it was the wrong choice for years.

For whatever it's worth I've had the Mark I since earlier this year and the Mark II offers nothing I can't see myself living without - they appear to be practically the same machine in terms of functionality. If I played live a lot the backlit buttons would prove useful. I'd vote on saving your money and grabbing a used Mark I - worst case scenario sell it for what you paid for it in three or four months.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

WorldWarWonderful posted:

For whatever it's worth I've had the Mark I since earlier this year and the Mark II offers nothing I can't see myself living without - they appear to be practically the same machine in terms of functionality. If I played live a lot the backlit buttons would prove useful. I'd vote on saving your money and grabbing a used Mark I - worst case scenario sell it for what you paid for it in three or four months.

Good to know. The question then comes down to whether I want an MPC or an Octatrack, which is a tough question to answer when you've had neither.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

400 bucks is reliable, $250 is the lowest I regularly see them. JJOS is usually another 50-100 (but sometimes included with the ~400 ones? Personally I'd feel weird about charging for my license if I sold mine but ymmv). You can drop 800-1k for a super clean upgraded color coordinated one too but don't.

There's some amount of upgrading of memory too - look for 128mb RAM or plan to do it yourself.

The rest of the upgrades are less essential imo/e but you can go wild customizing. Also they make replacement circuit boards and buttons so getting one that needs love and working on it isn't the worst idea (this is what I did with my 2500) - check mpcstuff.com .

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

MockingQuantum posted:

Good to know. The question then comes down to whether I want an MPC or an Octatrack, which is a tough question to answer when you've had neither.

I use my Octatrack as a drum machine and effects processor and the latter is where it really shines - I don't know how the different MPC models work but on my OT I have my headphones routed to headphones (when needed), Main Out routed to my field recorder, and Cue Out routed to my speakers. When I make the final mix I just plug my headphones into my field recorder so I can make it sounds fine. It has four inputs; I use one as a stereo pair for my Monomachine and the other as a stereo pair for my OP-1.

From there, I can assign the inputs. For example, tracks 1 through 6 are used for the samples (triggered from the Monomachine). Track 7 is the inputs for the devices, and Track 8 is master. On each track (set as a sample or input), you have up to two LFOs and two effects. I pop an EQ or two on the Monomachine's input track, and I usually add a pinch of lo-fi and a compressor on the master track. I bought it as a drum machine since I was impatient waiting on a replacement for my dead Machinedrum and wasn't too keen on the RYTM's sound, figuring I'd flip it for a MD when I come across one, but the routing and effects processing has cemented it in my setup.

MPC always seemed more geared towards making stuff on the fly. While you can do that with the OT, it seems more like something you build a project with than jam. At least on its own. My perspective, at least. Someone else will likely object because this thing seems almost limitless.

It also gives you eight MIDI outs. You can use it as a hub - program it to be the master to your A4's slave and go nuts. You can let it send MIDI to your A4, and have your A4's outputs loop back into the OT for sampling or further processing. Each MIDI track also has the LFOs, and it's pretty customizeable. The nice part is the projects save to a CF card so you won't have to deal with SYSEX when backing up (at least in my case).

The other thing that may set it apart is the cross fader and what they call "scenes". Just like you'd select a bank and pattern to work on, the same thing for scenes. You have banks of 16 scenes you can swap between, and you can change at any time between the scenes you programmed to pick which crossfader side affects what value and it does the math. It can go from a simple pan between two turntables or changing volume, effects parameters, LFO parameters, whatever. Just hold the button and turn the knob. I might use it for filters or EQ on an instrument or two if I want to mess around with it on the fly without worrying about which knob to turn or which page I'm on, or fading the master track out so I get a smooth fadeout when recording.

In brief, those are the features that set the OT apart from other samplers I've used (again, haven't used an MPC but when I researched I never saw features like this mentioned). It's a bit overkill but it's replaced my Focusrite 6i6 and the sound complements my Monomachine and OP-1 well. If you don't need live pads I don't think it would leave you wanting more. My single complaint is that it doesn't have trig conditions like the newer boxes (some of the effects are unimpressive but serviceable), and that's a feature I can live without.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 13, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Back with another dumb drum machine question. What isn't tied to a computer and can nail warmer synthwave sounds? Would an Alesis SR16 work?

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 16, 2017

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
wtf is synthwave? examples?

honestly any PCM box is going to provide you with plenty of sounds youd ever want. so yeah an sr16

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's the genre that happens when you listen to too much John Carpenter/Vangelis and cool down by playing 80s racing games.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthwave_(2000s_genre)

It's fun

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Clavavisage posted:

honestly any PCM box is going to provide you with plenty of sounds youd ever want. so yeah an sr16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBRnh0tkQtU

a good album, also you've probably heard carpenter brut at this point, that's synthwave.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
It's a consequence of this analogue renaissance, and the reason why people will soon get sick of plain synth tones again.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I like my Boss DR 660. You can get em for like 50 bucks. Or something that plays samples and http://samples.kb6.de/downloads_en.php

Don't overthink it, I guarantee they aren't.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Clavavisage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNeQ1B5zpOw

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Back with another dumb drum machine question. What isn't tied to a computer and can nail warmer synthwave sounds? Would an Alesis SR16 work?

dont get a fukken sr16 they suck in general and suck terribly for synthwave

get an electribe or one of the roland boutiques or something, if u want cheap get a 90s electribe

get a pocket operator

get anything but a fukken sr 16

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

loga mira posted:

It's a consequence of this analogue renaissance, and the reason why people will soon get sick of plain synth tones again.

lol good one

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It's already happened once.
I personally am looking forward to tonewheel organs coming back. :v:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
that would help us step out of the swamp that is subtractive synthesis

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have been eyeing an electribe lately but I want ~~~analoooogueeeuuee~~~~ and the snare sounds atrocious.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
funny way of spelling volcaBeats

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
just get a tr77 already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThLZanhneb8

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Uhhh that's really loving neato

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Startyde posted:

It's already happened once.
id say people jumpin on DX7s cuz they had memory cards and keyboardist != synthesists was a bigger part, digital synths got actually old in a real way while analog poo poo just got outdated for studio poo poo (like, modular made a resurgence in no small part because recording it onto a computer means you can actual take all the time necessary to switch patches)

quote:

I personally am looking forward to tonewheel organs coming back. :v:
where u at they ever went away :thunk:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

No no no no. Virtually all of that crap is made in software anyway because millenials don't have the cash anymore for analog synths (before they released the DM12 and Minilogue that is)

The only reason to get an SR16 is if you hate yourself and you want the authentic source sample for the baile funk snare (but that's an 808 snare with reverb anyway).

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have been eyeing an electribe lately but I want ~~~analoooogueeeuuee~~~~ and the snare sounds atrocious.

Synthwave doesn't even have much 808 or 909 in it. The whole point of synthwave is that the drums are very much digital. Linn LinnDrum, Linn 9000, Oberheim DMX, E-mu SP12, Roland TR707, E-mu Drumulator, Sequential TOM, that kind of stuff. All of these samples are dumped all over the internet already. If you want to save yourself some effort and get high quality stuff, there is of course http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/revolution/pid179/

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 17, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish I didn't find software mind numbingly boring and uninspiring :(

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
In that case get an MPC or Elektron Digitakt and load it up with classic drum sounds. Don't chase those vintage machines separately unless your wallet likes to be punished. Don't get lots of cheap stuff unless your workflow likes to be punished. Also, there's an Electribe which can loads samples.

Choose whatever you can afford and if the answer is both, choose that which has the least idiotic back-asswards way of transfering/remembering files.

It's great if you can just dump those sounds in some kind of persistent memory so that next time you switch it on it knows where you left off. The MPC1000 had 16 megabytes of flash memory for that, that's space enough for lots of drumkits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

Choose whatever you can afford and if the answer is both, choose that which has the least idiotic back-asswards way of transfering/remembering files.

This times a million. Don't relive the bad old days, there really isn't any need.