Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A couple of things:

Sennheiser HD 569 (nice). Tied for comfort with the AKG 7XX for me, but people won't murder me for wearing these on the plane. I'm genuinely excited to wear these for 16 hours on a plane next week.

An intangible thing:

I've been getting counseling for the last several weeks and the last two sessions have really made a difference. People don't always feel just kinda low-key bad, and there's a word for what I'm feeling and medication for it as well and someone to talk to about it.

If you've considered counseling, go do it. There's no shame in it, you're not broken, just making yourself better. Mental health is important. Too important not to take care of. Even if you just want someone to talk to, counseling is worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is sick and if they were not so expensive I'd have one ordered today. Worth it though I'm sure.

Because of them, I've been sorely tempted to pick up a cheap clone to play with.
https://www.dhgate.com/product/microtech-ultratech-d-a-drop-knife-cnc-d2/385855296.html#s1-1-1b;searl|2749917946

Edit: Well, I just picked up one of these. Reviews look good, and I've wanted one for about 15 years. Now to play the waiting game.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/microtech-utx-70auto-knife-blade-8cr13mov/382975960.html

Coydog has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Aug 8, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

NewFatMike posted:

A couple of things:

Sennheiser HD 569 (nice). Tied for comfort with the AKG 7XX for me, but people won't murder me for wearing these on the plane. I'm genuinely excited to wear these for 16 hours on a plane next week.

I love my new AKG's because of how cheap they were, but yeah, they don't mask the sound at all. Luckily these are just for in my apartment.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

that IS a cool knife. sorry for trying to mother you

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where does one get a knife like that? Also where do you find out if it is even legal to get one in your state? I assume that’s illegal in lots of places but maybe not? That would be the classiest box cutter.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Where does one get a knife like that? Also where do you find out if it is even legal to get one in your state? I assume that’s illegal in lots of places but maybe not? That would be the classiest box cutter.

Knives like that are available tons of places online. Search for "microtech otf" for that maker and style (out the front), and assume that anything under $100 is counterfeit. Microtechs are spendy.

Regarding legality, a quick search lead me to http://www.wideopenspaces.com/new-improved-interactive-map-knife-laws-50-states/ Hopefully they know their knife laws better than their US geography, because, while I don't disagree that Wisconsin should annex the upper peninsula of Michigan, it's not actually cheesehead territory.

Yet.

Killjoys will tell you that cardboard eats blade edge material, and it does, but that's why you'll learn how to sharpen your knives. Tools are supposed to be used.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I never understood that sentiment anyway, sure cardboard dulls knives, but so will anything else you cut. It's as if you can either cut nothing or cardboard when people talk about not cutting cardboard.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Out-The-Front-Automatics--41
http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Side-Opening-Automatics--40

I think they're legal in all 50 states iirc? Just not legal to carry or take out of your house in several. But then you also have spring "assisted" knives where you start it opening like a normal knife and spring flicks it open for the rest, and those are legal basically everywhere.

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Spring-Assisted-Knives--46

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I never understood that sentiment anyway, sure cardboard dulls knives, but so will anything else you cut. It's as if you can either cut nothing or cardboard when people talk about not cutting cardboard.

Obviously the answer is, it should be kept well maintained and regularly oiled BUT NEVER USED, in anticipation of the day you will whip it out and successfully fend off an attack

Or you know, accidentally stabbing yourself in the thigh with it trying to show off, or slicing your hand open while trying to get into that box from amazon

I got this little dude for setting my headphones and VR headset on

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Well my knife arrived:

Joining in on knife-chat, I got this in the mail yesterday:

5 bucks from AliExpress :ese:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I bought 2 guitar pedals for noodling with my synths

Nux Core Tape, a Chinese-made tape delay effect that's surprisingly good for the price

TC electronics Hall of Fame 2 reverb

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Calaveron posted:

Will I find these pictures on r/edc?

no

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

LifeSunDeath posted:

Well my knife arrived:

You didn't get the knife-light?

https://youtu.be/xA03Ow6YXUc

Come back when you're actually serious about self defence :colbert:

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Aug 9, 2017

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Speaking of knives, I bought two hand forged #2 blue carbon steel knives in Osaka. One gyuto and one nakiri.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

rockcity posted:

Speaking of knives, I bought two hand forged #2 blue carbon steel knives in Osaka. One gyuto and one nakiri.

Those are lovely, and look expensive. What manufacturer? I searched your terms and didn't find a similar product.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I cut everything with big scissors.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

rockcity posted:

I came a little looking at that nakiri

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

OSU_Matthew posted:

you're right this thing owns.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lig
Hter

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Cakefarts Carol posted:

Those are lovely, and look expensive. What manufacturer? I searched your terms and didn't find a similar product.

They actually don't really brand them. I talked to the owner at the shop I got them from and he said most of their knives just come from small makers around Japan that don't really want to be a mass market company so they don't brand them. The store was Tower Knives in Osaka. I think I have seen these marketed as black steel somewhere because they leave the top of the knife rough and not polished at all to give it the sort of rustic finish. I could have spent hours in their shop drooling over knives. I had a hard time leaving with only two.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

OSU_Matthew posted:

Jesus imagine the first time you go to light someones cigarette and hit the wrong button

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A fancy new set (plus one) of cutting/carving tools:

It was somehow cheaper to buy from the UK and have them shipped to TX in 3 days ($160 total) than to get them from their US distributor, Woodcraft ($223 after taxes) :psyduck:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lolllll I had one of these as a little kid. The knife took like a second to come out and never fully locked, it was basically a toy. Still, having a combo switchblade and lighter as a 13 yr old was pretty awesome

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Rolo posted:

Lig
Hter

It's weird that in this arrangement first thing that came to my mind is "Oh, it's only one letter away from Hitler"

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Megabound posted:

A diaphragm that went into this:

1945 Parker Vacumatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4M3kwt0ZPw

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

This needs some :nws: tags stat.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Sappo569 posted:

Jesus imagine the first time you go to light someones cigarette and hit the wrong button

It's like the Bojack Horseman joke about the gun-shaped lighter and the lighter-shaped gun.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Picked up some new backpacking gear today!

Snagged a 30° underquilt from HammockGear (who makes everything right on the other side of town here, which is pretty cool)

Picked up a new reflective ridgeline with tarp connectors from DutchWare Gear:

A new midlayer puffy synthetic jacket:

A BeFree water filter, which will cut down some weight from my current gravity filter without sacrificing flowrate and ease of use:

And some other bits and ends from Dutchware gear like reflective tarp tieouts, new stakes, and possibly my new favorite thing for backpacking, these tiny compressed towels that rehydrate with a few drops of water:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Snagged a 30° underquilt from HammockGear (who makes everything right on the other side of town here, which is pretty cool)

A BeFree water filter, which will cut down some weight from my current gravity filter without sacrificing flowrate and ease of use:

And some other bits and ends from Dutchware gear like reflective tarp tieouts, new stakes, and possibly my new favorite thing for backpacking, these tiny compressed towels that rehydrate with a few drops of water:

Hmm what about baby strollers and Snickers bars?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is my kind of post.

Did you look at other water filtration systems? I'm trying to decide between the BeFree and the Sawyer Squeeze...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

khysanth posted:

This is my kind of post.

Did you look at other water filtration systems? I'm trying to decide between the BeFree and the Sawyer Squeeze...
Water filtration system? Isn't it just a water bottle with a filter under the cap?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Water filtration system? Isn't it just a water bottle with a filter under the cap?

Yes, which in turns filters the water.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

khysanth posted:

This is my kind of post.

Sawyer Squeeze is far and away the best system if you're backpacking or need real filtration. BeFree has a super short lifetime and doesn't perform as well. Makes a great casual bottle though.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thermoball? I love mine.

For the DCI nerds in the thread, last night I got to sit inside the Blue Devils circle. Holy gently caress.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RCarr posted:

Yes, which in turns filters the water.
I got new socks.

Oh wait, I mean extremity thermoregulation system.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I got a new belt.

Oh wait, I mean apparel suspension system.

It's a lightweight filtration system meant for backpacking. It's not just a Brita tap filter or something.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

khysanth posted:

This is my kind of post.

I've used everything from calcium hypochlorite (shock pool cleaner) and peroxide, to the sawyer to gravity filters to pumps. Having just used a Befree last week on a trip, I can say that this is by far and away my favorite. It's basically a Sawyer squeeze filtration membrane, but the whole filter is exposed, similar to the katadyn gravity filter, so it filters significantly faster and with barely any squeeze effort because of the higher surface area. It just works really really freaking well, it's not a pain in the rear end like the Sawyer.

Yes, technically it's a shorter filter life than the Sawyer, but realistically nobody is ever gonna come close to treating a hundred thousand gallons of water in their freaking lifetime. I'd be surprised if the average user treated twenty gallons a year. Plus the Sawyer clogs and trickles down to a low flow real easy when you're actually getting water from streams with sediment and crap, and the bags are really annoying to fill.

What I've found is that I buy new water treatment systems long before what I'm using goes bad. Hell, l'll probably buy another one here in a few years when the new .00001 micron filter blah blah blah tech comes out or something, or when there's something cheap and light that filters heavy metals since I hike in areas where you have to watch out for acid mine drainage.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

OSU_Matthew posted:

I hate you a little, but give a rousing thumbs up to your purchase. I want to buy a bunch of gear for bikepacking but I'm bare assed broke at the moment.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

For the DCI nerds in the thread, last night I got to sit inside the Blue Devils circle. Holy gently caress.

Video or audio or it didn't happen. I would give you a dollar so it could be my favorite purchase.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Video or audio or it didn't happen. I would give you a dollar so it could be my favorite purchase.

Crown melting my drat skin off with a wall of sound

SCV

Blue Devils

and the view from my seat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
My thrifting today netted me this lot for $10: