Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fridge corn posted:

*me, looking at a picasso* drat he hosed that all up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Joyce is great because people will never stop having bad opinions about his books, like as if beyond the grave he's the patron saint of endless hot takes

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Sure, it might seem innovative on the face of it to have Buck Mulligan start out as plump, but ultimately won't that just distract from the narration of all the varied foods he eats before turning into a butterfly?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

james joyce in the year 1917: i'm going to write dialogue in this way to appear unique

--did everyone really write dialogue like this in 1917, derp asked intelligently

if so it must have been a fad that lasted like 2 years cause none of the other old books ive read or opened the first page of and gave up on have done that.i took it to be some dipshit trying to be avant garde

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

mdemone posted:

Like, I can understand not enjoying Joyce, he's not everyone's cup of tea, but this is an almost impressively bad opinion.

...Are you Nicholas Sparks?!?

i did write a novel that was tacitly about love

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
joyce is a dipshit but ulysses is a work of absolute genius. but it's exhausting to read, and requires you to read it many times, and also requires you to either have a properly footnoted edition (the oxford world edition is very good for this) or to have time travelled from dublin 1920 and be incredibly well read.

it's basically just a story about a dude who's ashamed about wanting some other dude to gently caress his wife so he goes for a long walk. and then there's another guy.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i mean you don't neeeeed to know all of that stuff to enjoy a lot of it. the scene where bloom is pounding off on a rock while staring at some woman who's imagining them having a secret romantic tryst until she figures out he's a jew is pretty good either way.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
okay i will try it again that sounds like my jam

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Stop reading two pages of large books and then forming bad opinions.

This Gravity's Rainbow sucks, it's just about bananas and pancakes!

Who the gently caress does this Ishmael guy thinks he is?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I know others disagree but I didn't like the parts with Stephen (chapters 1-3 are all about him) and really only got into it when Leopold came on the scene. Because you get to hear his thoughts I found him one of the most engaging, sympathetic, and complete characters I've ever read. As for the style or whatever else is throwing you off, you should know that each chapter's style is different and some you might like and others you might not. I've never heard anyone suggest this but if you want to skip ahead to chapter 4 and see if you like it you might be surprised. Certainly chapter 3 (Proteus) will probably defeat you if you are not serious about reading the book so if you're on the fence just skip ahead to the wonderful Bloom.

I just finished Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Roy and didn't really like it. Seemed like several books glued together which can and does interest me at times but I really didn't like it in this case. There were a lot of nice passages and I ended up reading a lot about Indian history which was nice. I just didn't really care about any of it other than what it must be like to be transgendered in the society.

For Whom the Bell Tolls was my favorite Hemingway. The war is an interesting backdrop and I thought that the characters plot, etc. worked well despite it being longer than most Hemingway novels. I wouldn't judge it until the end, at least.

I tried to read Absalom, Absalom first during my intern year after finishing a nine month read of Gravity's Rainbow. I found it much more difficult and gave up. I ended up reading it and loving it a few years ago but it was at least as hard as any other book I've read and I loved it. I didn't remember that last line, though...

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

derp posted:

--did everyone really write dialogue like this in 1917, derp asked intelligently

if so it must have been a fad that lasted like 2 years cause none of the other old books ive read or opened the first page of and gave up on have done that.i took it to be some dipshit trying to be avant garde

You are a clinically retarded person.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

this member of the avant garde is writing in an avant garde manner! why my luck so bad

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

CestMoi posted:

Are there any recent really funny books or is everything funny from the 50s

The Charles Portis anthology is good but it's mostly stuff he wrote in the 60s and 70s

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

J_RBG posted:

Joyce is great because people will never stop having bad opinions about his books, like as if beyond the grave he's the patron saint of endless hot takes

he spent 17 years of his life painstakingly constructing finnegans wake despite pretty much going blind because he was just trolling, you see

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i had to recheck this because i thought i was losing it, but the dialogue in the first few pages is not particularly weird? it's buck mulligan talking like an overly enthusiastic overeducated grating rear end in a top hat, but that is in keeping with his character, and doesn't seem like noticeably dire or non traditional or anything

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i think if your impression of the first few pages is "buck mulligan should shut the gently caress up" then you pretty much Got It

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

He's talking about the fact that dialogue is marked with
- here is the words

rather than quotation marks, Tree Goat.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

this member of the avant garde is writing in an avant garde manner! why my luck so bad

sorry i dont do extensive research on books before i open them, especially when they are 99c on kindle. if the first couple pages don't grab me i move on to the next one cause there are literally millions of books out there did you know? no reason to force yourself through one particular one

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ahahahahahhaa

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
:moonrio:

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

derp posted:

sorry i dont do extensive research on books before i open them, especially when they are 99c on kindle. if the first couple pages don't grab me i move on to the next one cause there are literally millions of books out there did you know? no reason to force yourself through one particular one
You're right. Read whatever you want.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i dunno why everyone's getting weird, read whatever you want. lots of people don't like joyce, virginia woolf thought ulysses was poo poo iirc

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

He's talking about the fact that dialogue is marked with
- here is the words

rather than quotation marks, Tree Goat.

ah, i did not read his posts very well

perhaps the one who learned a lesson about reading... was i

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

derp posted:

Starting lines of dialogue with a dash is super common :confused: unless it's the sentence continuing afterwards that's freaking you out?

Herman Bang wrote like that too:

quote:

–Satan, Satan, sagde Lange hvert Minut med voksende inderlige Betoninger, han havde knebet Berg baade gul og grøn i Armen.

–Satan, Satan....

–Satan, Satan, said Lange every minute in increasingly passionate tones; he had pinched Berg's arm both yellow and green.

–Satan, Satan....

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I started the Bible. English Standard Version. Almost finished with Deuteronomy. It is alternately powerful and tedious, fascinating and boring. I guess everybody knows that about the Bible, though.

Has anybody here read it? Did you read the books in order or did you jump around? Which books stood out to you?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I started the Bible. English Standard Version. Almost finished with Deuteronomy. It is alternately powerful and tedious, fascinating and boring. I guess everybody knows that about the Bible, though.

Has anybody here read it? Did you read the books in order or did you jump around? Which books stood out to you?

God really needed an editor.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Why would you not read the King James

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like the part when all the men of Sodom & Gomorrah want to rape the angels and Lot says 'No, rape my daughters instead', which pisses everyone off. Then fireballs kill all the gay men and Lot's wife turns into a pillar of salt because she's a bitch. Then Lot's daughters get him drunk so they can gently caress him and get pregnant because they assume everyone died by fireball.

Spoilers.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Powaqoatse posted:

Starting lines of dialogue with a dash is super common :confused: unless it's the sentence continuing afterwards that's freaking you out?

Herman Bang wrote like that too:

–Satan, Satan, said Lange every minute in increasingly passionate tones; he had pinched Berg's arm both yellow and green.

–Satan, Satan....

good to know ty

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The story of Jephthah havinh to sacrifice his daughter to God is a pretty good Monkey's Paw story in Judges. She gets to have a girl's night for a few months which is cool.

You should probably read Psalms, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes in KJV though

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

CestMoi posted:

The ESV is a descendant of the KJV. If you compare them, the language is remarkably similar, but the ESV has the benefit of modern scholarship.

Franchescanado posted:

But this sounds like a good idea anyway.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 17, 2017

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Foul Fowl posted:

i mean you don't neeeeed to know all of that stuff to enjoy a lot of it. the scene where bloom is pounding off on a rock while staring at some woman who's imagining them having a secret romantic tryst until she figures out he's a jew is pretty good either way.

My favourite part is where Stephen wipes a booger on a rock

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

The story of Jephthah havinh to sacrifice his daughter to God is a pretty good Monkey's Paw story in Judges. She gets to have a girl's night for a few months which is cool.

I'd tack on Revelation as well.

Ben Nevis fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 11, 2017

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Bible design blog

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I saw the thread exploded today but I don't feel like reading it someone summarize for me thanks

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I saw the thread exploded today but I don't feel like reading it someone summarize for me thanks

Everyone finally read Aquarium and decided it was complete trash

just kidding I actually liked it a lot

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Derp should read aquarium to decide if it's good or not

if he says he likes it it's trash

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
The New Oxford Annotated Bible is very nice because of the excellent annotation. If you're reading for literary value you should ofc read it in the original Greek / whatever language the book you want to read was originally written in.