Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

a new study bible! posted:

Don't sleep on Washington. Everything but Philly's pass rush looked bad yesterday.

I can't buy the Redskins winning the division after losing those receivers unless Cousins goes full :ssj: Brees numbers to spite Gilbert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think it's a reaction to the fact that the teams aren't policing themselves, and if anything are hiring people to cover their players' asses. It's an ugly look, sure, but it's even uglier that Zeke keeps finding himself in the middle of these dumb situations and the Cowboys are just shrugging about it.

The teams won't do anything about it, so the league will.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Is Eli going to play tonight? I'll probably watch the first Giants drive then move over to the Bengals/Buccs once Eli goes in.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

a new study bible! posted:

Is Eli going to play tonight? I'll probably watch the first Giants drive then move over to the Bengals/Buccs once Eli goes in.

haven't heard anything today but heard yesterday eli/OBJ are sitting out

e:

https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/896050905115537409

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
That's huh....I guess Agolhor was doing something then

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
That for real?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hell yeah!!!!!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Ronald Darby is supposed to be good, isn't he?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

89 posted:

Ronald Darby is supposed to be good, isn't he?

I would be happy to get him.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Certainly better than what they were starting before, yeah.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Darby is pretty good. They got a pretty good CB from the Rams to replace him.

Matthews is mediocre as poo poo

Just collecting picks I guess.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
OTOH this means more playing time for nelson agholor so i am excited

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Darby is PFF's #5 rated rookie CB since they started grading in 2006.

Also their 2015 rookie of the year.

Had a sophomore slump last year.

Also, lol Bills secondary after this and losing Gilmore.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

89 posted:

Darby is PFF's #5 rated rookie CB since they started grading in 2006.

Also their 2015 rookie of the year.

Had a sophomore slump last year.

Also, lol Bills secondary after this and losing Gilmore.

Did you not read they traded for Gaines

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So Ronald Darby and Sidney Jones should be cool

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Looks like the Zeke suspension for six games is real.

Also.... this letter.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2017/08/11/0ap3000000828569.pdf

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So this year it's likely to be Darby/Mills/Robinson/Douglas (i could see Rasul getting the nod over Robinson) and then slot Sidney Jones into the outside with Darby next year?

This could be REALLY awesome and shades of the early Andy Reid/Jim Johnson era secondaries

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Last time we traded for a Bills D player it did not end well..

I'm going to be airing on the side of caution here.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Chip Kelly was a loving moron.

And Darby was with Schwartz his rookie year. Lots of man & press coverage. Had a great year. Then, they moved to zone last year without Schwartz and he had a down year.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Awesome move by the Eagles!!!

They have too much talent to go into the season with such a gaping hole at CB. They are obviously in win now mode.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

corn on the cop posted:

haven't heard anything today but heard yesterday eli/OBJ are sitting out

e:

https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/896050905115537409

:laffo: if you had told me this time last year that we would trade our only good WR.

This is good news though as we now might actually be able to stop the passing attack.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
A much needed trade, that said I liked JMatt and will miss him.

He was our only shining light in 2 years of absolute turgid wr play, was kinda looking forward to seeing him do it when he wasn't having to carry the load himself.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Holy poo poo wow. If Darby is good then cool

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Shinjobi posted:

I think it's a reaction to the fact that the teams aren't policing themselves, and if anything are hiring people to cover their players' asses. It's an ugly look, sure, but it's even uglier that Zeke keeps finding himself in the middle of these dumb situations and the Cowboys are just shrugging about it.

The teams won't do anything about it, so the league will.

It's not about the teams policing themselves, it's that it's not the NFL's job to investigate and punish domestic abuse claims, that's the job of law enforcement. The NFL's only involvement should be to put pressure on law enforcement agencies to do their due diligence and do it right and tell teams to stay the gently caress out of it, not step in and run their own investigations and dole out punishment on their own terms. Ray Rice and Greg Hardy should have been unable to play because they were in jail, not because they were suspended. Same for Vick. Let teams decide who they want to employ (and take the associated blowback) and let law enforcement do their jobs. Every time the NFL exerts more and more authority in this process, it sets a new, worse precedent.

In other news, that's a good trade by the Eagles. Darby should already be familiar with their system and it's clear the Bills are just in firesale mode.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
x-post from the main N/V thread:

In happier Philly news, Doug Pederson not only wants to go for it on 4th down more often, he also wants to go for 2 all the time.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/doug-pederson-stays-aggressive-preseason-opener/

Philly Voice posted:

Pederson said that the feedback that he received from Paganetti and Halaby was that he should have perhaps gone for it on fourth down even more than he did last season.

On the opening drive of the Eagles' first preseason game Thursday against the Green Bay Packers, Pederson went for it on 4th and 6 at the Packers' 42-yard line, and was rewarded with a score. After the touchdown, Pederson then went for two in a non-traditional scenario with a 6-0 lead. The try failed, due to a somewhat off-target throw from Carson Wentz and a drop by Nelson Agholor.

In his post game press conference, Pederson was asked if he would have gone for it on that fourth down situation, as well as the two-point conversion, if this were the regular season.

"I went for a couple 4th and 6's, 4th and 7's a year ago, so I don't rule it out, but at the same time, this is a good opportunity to really put it in the players' hands and let them execute a play," he said. "And I like to run the two-point conversion as well, after the touchdown. We failed on that."

"I have to continue to study (two-point conversions). There are numbers that say you do it early in games. (You also consider), how does the defense play in (goal line situations)? Obviously we're not game-planning teams right now, but how is a defense down at the two yard line? Is that their strength? (If so) you might want to kick more extra points. But I just felt going into this game that if we score early I would attempt a two point conversion."

Dougie P's Mild Ride is everything we were promised by the False Prophet and Defiler C*** K***

TheChirurgeon posted:

In other news, that's a good trade by the Eagles. Darby should already be familiar with their system and it's clear the Bills are just in firesale mode.

Come home Shady. Please come home.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Matthew is a fa after this year right ?

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Dak Prescott is gonna light up the league for the first six weeks

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

Cowboys will get revenge by going 19-0

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is it possible to go 4-0-16?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

axeil posted:

Come home Shady. Please come home.

Blount and Matthews for Shady straight up who says no?

Probably the Bills but gently caress 'em, I want to have a jersey for a current player again.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

Is it possible to go 4-0-16?

listen I know Eagles fans post a lot of jokes about 19-0 or whatever but you know the season is only 16 games right?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

TheChirurgeon posted:

listen I know Eagles fans post a lot of jokes about 19-0 or whatever but you know the season is only 16 games right?

Maybe for your team it is. :smugbert:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

Playoffs are up to 4 games

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not about the teams policing themselves, it's that it's not the NFL's job to investigate and punish domestic abuse claims, that's the job of law enforcement. The NFL's only involvement should be to put pressure on law enforcement agencies to do their due diligence and do it right and tell teams to stay the gently caress out of it, not step in and run their own investigations and dole out punishment on their own terms. Ray Rice and Greg Hardy should have been unable to play because they were in jail, not because they were suspended. Same for Vick. Let teams decide who they want to employ (and take the associated blowback) and let law enforcement do their jobs. Every time the NFL exerts more and more authority in this process, it sets a new, worse precedent.

Maybe the NFL thinks it would be easier and more fruitful now to go after the players tarnishing their image, than it would be to somehow cleanse the justice system of inefficiency and corruption. Do you realize how insane that sounds? Do you think the owners want that? gently caress no, they want to keep sweeping poo poo under the rug.

I totally get being pissed about this ruling when other wife beaters and other heinous criminals went unpunished. It's maddening, but I'd rather the NFL get it right eventually than them ignore the problem forever.

I don't trust team owners to do the right thing, I don't think the justice system is going to magically unfuck itself (I live two hours away from Baylor, :lol: ), so I'm ultimately fine with the NFL taking matters into its own hands.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

Playoffs are up to 4 games

so you're asking if it's possible for a team to go 0-0-16 and then make the playoffs and run the table

no, I uh, I don't think that's very likely

Shinjobi posted:

Maybe the NFL thinks it would be easier and more fruitful now to go after the players tarnishing their image, than it would be to somehow cleanse the justice system of inefficiency and corruption. Do you realize how insane that sounds? Do you think the owners want that? gently caress no, they want to keep sweeping poo poo under the rug.

I totally get being pissed about this ruling when other wife beaters and other heinous criminals went unpunished. It's maddening, but I'd rather the NFL get it right eventually than them ignore the problem forever.

I don't trust team owners to do the right thing, I don't think the justice system is going to magically unfuck itself (I live two hours away from Baylor, :lol: ), so I'm ultimately fine with the NFL taking matters into its own hands.

The problem is that the NFL taking matters into its own hands further fucks the justice system by creating an avenue for them to go "gently caress it, the NFL will handle this" when players are involved in issues of domestic violence or other criminal matters. And that's before you consider that the NFL or its organizations are often complicit in tampering with the original investigations in the first place. It's not "The NFL getting it right," it's "the NFL taking the power away from the justice system" which, even if the justice system is hosed, still has boundaries laid out in the constitution and isn't an arbitrary process with punishments decided by one guy based on how badly the alleged crime will hurt ticket sales.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So you are saying it's possible??

I wish this to happen.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

So you are saying it's possible??

I wish this to happen.

I think for it to even be possible, every team would have to tie every game. Or at least 11 teams in the same conference, which could somehow lead to the 0-0-16 team getting a wildcard spot on tiebreakers. but for 11 teams in a conference to go 0-0-16, it probably requires that the whole league do it because of schedule dependencies I'm not going to investigate

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wouldn't the 0-0-16 team just be a regular 8-8 team. Plenty of them have been wild cards.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

euphronius posted:

Wouldn't the 0-0-16 team just be a regular 8-8 team. Plenty of them have been wild cards.

Yeah ties are 'half of a win and half of a loss', so, you'd just have to tie every game while in a division where every other team has a losing record, and you could even have a home playoff game in the Wildcard round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

grah posted:

Yeah ties are 'half of a win and half of a loss', so, you'd just have to tie every game while in a division where every other team has a losing record, and you could even have a home playoff game in the Wildcard round.

Ah, fair enough. I forgot that the NFL does half-and-half and not win% for standings

so yeah I guess it's more likely, but still not going to happen

• Locked thread