Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I used to work with a guy that was very good at his technical job, but when he was handed a few management duties he would be absolutely soul-crushing to his team. Thing's like not updating a visio with up-to-date numbers reflecting current user count on access points turned into 15 minute lectures about not being detail oriented, "what are we even paying any of you for", and how we are an embarrassment to executive management. Like dude no one in executive management is looking at the little red font that says 15,000 users instead of 15,500.

Still a cool guy, just terrible at any kind of management role. I think his crappy management was exacerbated by the fact that every senior person on that team was on their way out since the company announced it was being bought by a terrible European conglomerate.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Experience working for a bad manager is probably the most important part of developing your own management style. When I was a manager I thought about all of the things I hated that my previous terrible managers had done, and then made a point to not do them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think it had the opposite effect on me because my thinking is "if that's how things are done as a manager then I don't want to be one".

Also I'm hoping the new job gets me out of this thing where everybody treats me like I'm fresh out of college still. I've been at this company since I was 22 and I'm still the "kid". Not that I mind too bad, but it pissed me off when people talk to me like I'm their son. I'VE ALREADY GOT A DAD.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It was the same for me until I grew a beard and it's half grey.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

psydude posted:

Experience working for a bad manager is probably the most important part of developing your own management style. When I was a manager I thought about all of the things I hated that my previous terrible managers had done, and then made a point to not do them.

That's funny, that's the exact methodology I use about raising my kids compared to how my mom/step-dad raised me and my siblings

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I literally work in tech because I had a bad experience with a web host once and went down the rabbit hole of "how hard can this poo poo be?"

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

psydude posted:

Very easy to do once you've experienced the Army :laugh:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The armed service is such a poo poo show. Whenever I hear someone say "Well, in X service we did this...." my eyes glaze over and I dismiss whatever is about to come out of their mouth. The best thing I did for myself was drop my military service from my resume.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

I literally work in tech because I had a bad experience with a web host once and went down the rabbit hole of "how hard can this poo poo be?"

Yeah. I'll admit that I'm driven somewhat by spite and the desire to do something better than people who suck at it. This made me condescend to people when I was younger; I've gained some humility since then (at least I'd like to think I have), especially after spending time in the Army and realizing that being a dick to people doesn't make them any better at their job (in fact, it usually makes them worse at it). Now that I'm in consulting/presales, it's even more relevant since the way to sell people on ideas is to empathize with them. Still, in private conversations with coworkers and friends, I can't help but shake my head when I, as a security engineer, have to show a Windows admin how to set up a Certificate Authority or a network engineer how to redistribute one routing protocol into another.

A lot of these people just want to do a good enough job to be able to put food on the table and maybe buy season tickets for their favorite NFL team or spend money on another hobby. And there's really nothing wrong with that, so long as they aren't loving up all the time. Good managers and good IT workers realize this and help those employees succeed, rather than alienating them, which will only lead to them loving up more.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I became a network engineer because a guy that got my friend fired also applied for the promotion and I didn't want him to get it. I actually hated networking before that but it turned out okay

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sepist posted:

I became a network engineer because a guy that got my friend fired also applied for the promotion and I didn't want him to get it. I actually hated networking before that but it turned out okay

Did you get to fire that guy?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
No. He ended up replacing me after I left

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The poo poo that interests me the most (and, at the same time, baffles me the most) is security - I like to read and think I'm getting (I'm not, at all) tweets like this:

https://twitter.com/JohnLaTwC/status/889314970969587712

https://twitter.com/JosephBialek/status/875427627242209280

I mean gently caress

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Do any of you use Microsoft's LAPS in your environment? I'm looking at it and would like to get it implemented here. Looks pretty straightforward?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Do any of you use Microsoft's LAPS in your environment? I'm looking at it and would like to get it implemented here. Looks pretty straightforward?

Yes, and it is.

The biggest pain point was deploying the DLL.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I wasn't in on the implementation, but it's pretty straightforward to use.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

The armed service is such a poo poo show. Whenever I hear someone say "Well, in X service we did this...." my eyes glaze over and I dismiss whatever is about to come out of their mouth. The best thing I did for myself was drop my military service from my resume.
Yup, mine's not even on there anymore. Been out for ten years.

I mean hell if we're being honest, I've been at my current job for over 5 years, and with the march of technology and the amount of work I've put in at this job, there's really no need to have any other jobs on my resume. Obviously that's not the resume that anyone wants to see, but the reality is that anything that happened in 2012 is either irrelevant to me, or has been totally eclipsed by larger projects since.

Aww wow you used group policy in 2011? Have a cookie, who cares.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It's important that all users of group policy get tested.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yup, mine's not even on there anymore. Been out for ten years.

I mean hell if we're being honest, I've been at my current job for over 5 years, and with the march of technology and the amount of work I've put in at this job, there's really no need to have any other jobs on my resume. Obviously that's not the resume that anyone wants to see, but the reality is that anything that happened in 2012 is either irrelevant to me, or has been totally eclipsed by larger projects since.

I still see people that are interviewing for system admin/engineer spots put "experience with Microsoft Office" on their resumes.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I still see people that are interviewing for system admin/engineer spots put "experience with Microsoft Office" on their resumes.
I used to have a 'Skills' section on my resume and I promise you that one of my skills was TCP/IP

What does that even mean?!?

Dude, do you even TCP/IP?

Oh young sys admins, you're all ridiculous.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sickening posted:

When I was in the Navy I learned two important things about leadership.
1. Leadership is a skill. Sure, there's a charisma factor, but you really have to make a lot of mistakes and spend time reflecting on what went wrong and what could have gone better if you ever want to be a skilled leader.

2. The leaders and influencers in an organization aren't necessarily the ones with the best titles or highest ranks. Treat everyone with respect, not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because you never know whos help you're going to need.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I used to have a 'Skills' section on my resume and I promise you that one of my skills was TCP/IP

What does that even mean?!?

Dude, do you even TCP/IP?

Oh young sys admins, you're all ridiculous.

To be fair, when I interviewed for an architect position at amazon they did ask me TCP/IP questions (how sequence numbers are derived, what are the different congestion algorithms and how do they each work) so maybe having it as skill can be applicable.

I think next time I do an interview I will ask those questions to be mean.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

If it gets you past the automated resume filtering, more power to ya. In a better world, we wouldn't need it, but...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I still cram all of that poo poo down at the bottom of my resume to make it past word filters. But then again, every position I've interviewed for recently (including the one I just got) was from me being called by a recruiter, so maybe I should just take it out at this point.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I agree with this. If you don't know how to do a basic Document, Spreadsheet, and Presentation in some basic put together fashion you are likely self limiting your career. Yes you could mark it up in LaTeX and do it all in a RDBMS of your choice with an email describing it, but upper management doesn't read that. A really good bit of advice I got many years ago is that the same content in a word.doc will have more importance to management than it will in the body of the email to which it is attached. It's nit picky, counter-intuitive, etc, but it doesn't matter. We expect people to do things our way for most things, but it is in fact a two way street when you want money, time, and trust for a project.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I dunno, if you're going into IT at a mid/senior level I'm pretty sure the use of it is fairly ubiquitous.

Maybe there really is a guy out there that can setup a two-way domain trust but loses his poo poo when trying to figure out the arcane mysteries of MS Word.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I dunno, if you're going into IT at a mid/senior level I'm pretty sure the use of it is fairly ubiquitous.

Maybe there really is a guy out there that can setup a two-way domain trust but loses his poo poo when trying to figure out the arcane mysteries of MS Word.

Over on the Linux & Networking side it's more common than is safe to imagine.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I would like to be in the position where I'm paid too much to fix someone's MS Word issue.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

I can only imagine it's an age thing, too. If you're 40+ I could see it maybe, but mid-30s or less I find it hard to believe.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

I spent a couple of hours this week trying to fix the formatting of our release note in Word so that it met our architects Ocd standards while ignoring tickets that would actually provide some value to the project

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

fluppet posted:

I spent a couple of hours this week trying to fix the formatting of our release note in Word so that it met our architects Ocd standards while ignoring tickets that would actually provide some value to the project

The IT here had to meet with our boss to discuss his specific formatting requirements for daily work logs, including the font, size, bullet point style, and bolding pattern he wanted for each item. That's an hour I never will get back.

I could also outline the amount of admin overhead I have to do to keep my boss happy but I'm afraid if I did that I'd have an aneurysm.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

fluppet posted:

Vargatron posted:

The IT here had to meet with our boss to discuss his specific formatting requirements for daily work logs, including the font, size, bullet point style, and bolding pattern he wanted for each item. That's an hour I never will get back.

I could also outline the amount of admin overhead I have to do to keep my boss happy but I'm afraid if I did that I'd have an aneurysm.

lovely micromanagers aside, "Please provide me with a functional template and I will be happy to fill it out." But then they couldn't yell at you for using 1 space after a period.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

anthonypants posted:

I would like to be in the position where I'm paid too much to fix someone's MS Word issue.

I am paid too much to fix someone's MS Word issue. :blush:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No you're not. You have knowledge to fix other issues too, just happens that those relatively minor issues fall under your responsibilities as well.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Vargatron posted:

Two bosses ago had a severe hardon for this poo poo. He genuinely cared about the font, spacing, size, etc of everything. He'd call meetings to discuss formatting, or he'd call meetings to discuss which IP we should use (should it be VLAN 25? Or VLAN 32? let's meet!).

Drove me absolutely batty. I'd go on mute for extended periods, and then when asked my opinion I'd always give a drab "I don't care."

Except when I confused the life out of the poor man by telling him that we should choose whichever VLAN goes faster. I think he genuinely thought that I thought different VLANs operated at like, different wavelengths, whereas I was snarkily implying that the only reason I'd care about the number we assign something is if there was a performance benefit. That's still probably one of my favorite work exchanges because I confused him so much and enjoyed every second of it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GreenNight posted:

No you're not. You have knowledge to fix other issues too, just happens that those relatively minor issues fall under your responsibilities as well.

Whenever I get an Excel question I just respond with PIVOT TABLE and then run away.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I don't deal with Excel much ever so no I can't fix your massive query to our DB2 database issues.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So I am day 5 of my notice period, half way through, and my boss, CFO, and HR call a meeting. I have everything cleared out of my office and all my personal info is wiped, I am ready to go. My CFO, leads the meeting...

:smugdon: "We would like to make a counter offer, we feel its pretty generous."

:colbert: "I don't think I would feel okay with a counter offer. I have also already accept their offer."

:smugdon: "Why, we have been more than reasonable with you over the years despite issues we have had, can't you be reasonable with us?"

:colbert: "I have had a single write up in my file, I have had glowing reviews, I am not aware of any issues."

:smugdon: "There has been plenty, that is on us for not bringing them to you. We were doing you a favor."

:colbert: "I thank you for all your support, I am not leaving out of malice, simply out of a better opportunity for myself and my family. "

:smugdon: "I don't understand why you won't be reasonable and let us make you a better offer."

:colbert: "Well if you walked me out the door right now, would you pay me for my last notice week plus any pto I accrued."

:smugdon: "The state of texas only requires us to pay 2 days of PTO if we fire you, it doesn't require us to pay you out any at all if you leave voluntarily."

:colbert: "So no?"

:smugdon: "Its not our policy to do so, no."

:colbert: "Its not in the handbook and quite frankly is a petty thing for a company to do. A notice period is gesture of respect and good will. It doesn't look good upon the company to not honor it."

:smugdon: "So you aren't going to be reasonable?"

The meeting lasted another 30 minutes and that was the only notable discussion. They sent me home today and aren't going to pay me for next week and aren't going to pay me more than 2 days pto. Honestly the CFO is the only lovely part of the company and his unethical behavior is repulsive.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 11, 2017

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

The meeting lasted another 30 minutes and that was the only notable discussion. They sent me home today and aren't going to pay me for next week and aren't going to pay me more than 2 days pto. Honestly the CFO is the only lovely part of the company and his unethical behavior is repulsive.

JFC. Well, week-long vacation and the clearest possible sign that you made the right decision.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Except when I confused the life out of the poor man by telling him that we should choose whichever VLAN goes faster. I think he genuinely thought that I thought different VLANs operated at like, different wavelengths, whereas I was snarkily implying that the only reason I'd care about the number we assign something is if there was a performance benefit. That's still probably one of my favorite work exchanges because I confused him so much and enjoyed every second of it.
This post definitely reinforces my mental image of you as Ron Livingston in Office Space, post mental breakdown/moment of clarity scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sickening posted:

:smugdon: "Why, we have been more than reasonable with you over the years despite issues we have had, can't you be reasonable with us?"

:colbert: "I have had a single write up in my file, I have had glowing reviews, I am not aware of any issues."

:smugdon: "There has been plenty, that is on us for not bringing them to you. We were doing you a favor."

"If you've had so many issues, why are you bothering with a counter offer?"