Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

If I hadn't been moving to a different country, I would definitely have tried to make that happen.

:waycool:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6t27vo/im_trying_to_buy_an_expensive_house_in_the_city/ posted:

Young professional looking for some insight to buying an expensive house.

What am I:

Income: $3,600/month in take home pay after contributions/tax (Engineer)

Savings: $55K

Parents assistance: (if necessary for down payment) $30k

401K: $75K

Credit Score: 760+

No debt, paid off car, living rent-free at parents.

House: $450K, 3 bedroom, 2 bath with garage and rooftop patio in a "lit" part of the city.

Property tax: $5k per year

Seller's Assist: 13K - 25K

I plan on living with friends as roomates (2). I would be asking for $600 per month as a friend discount and accounting for only 1 roomate.

I'm estimate that the mortgage/property tax/home insurance takes away $2,200/month

Questions:

I have a higher than average balance in my 401k for my age. With how the stock market is doing, I feel that a 401k WITHDRAWAL for my first principal home would be a better option than taking assistance from my parents. The reason I opt towards a withdrawal versus a loan is because it would be financially beneficial to just repay my parents. I do not believe that I will dramatically hinder my retirement age. Should this even be considered an option?

This is a poo poo ton of money to me and the housing market can be volatile. Surely no one can predict when another housing crisis will occur. I plan on living at this residence for 5+ years. Worst case scenario, I feel I can rent out the place and move back home. I feel very little trepidation towards the decision to buy a home like this since the risks are understood. Am I just a tad crazy?

yo "fam" this "lit" house is only 8x my gross income can I swing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

quote:

With how the stock market is doing, I feel that a 401k WITHDRAWAL for my first principal home would be a better option than taking assistance from my parents. The reason I opt towards a withdrawal versus a loan is because it would be financially beneficial to just repay my parents

Wait so he doesn't want to take money from his parents, but he wants to withdraw and not borrow from his 401k to repay his parents for money he's not taking from them?

I know what's underneath this obfuscation is BWM but gently caress if I know exactly how.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I could understand if he wanted to borrow from his 401k and pay back with like 3% interest or something. I wouldn't agree, but I could understand the idea that the market may collapse and he'd be better off.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I don't believe his numbers. I'm looking at them, and between his take-home pay and his savings amounts, something doesn't add up in my head. He either has remarkably generous assistance somewhere (probably does if he can get a parental loan for a house down payment) or he's lying somewhere.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

No Butt Stuff posted:

I could understand if he wanted to borrow from his 401k and pay back with like 3% interest or something. I wouldn't agree, but I could understand the idea that the market may collapse and he'd be better off.

I mean, I may end up taking a small bit from my 401k to supplement my house down payment in a few years (even though it's a bad idea, it'd be less than 10% of my 401k and as I don't want to wait forever to buy and housing is expensive here, it's better than just never putting that money in a 401k to begin with) so I can understand the logic there.

But why is taking a withdrawal - which he's very clear about versus a loan - and paying back his parents his idea? I have no idea what's going on there at all.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

I don't believe his numbers. I'm looking at them, and between his take-home pay and his savings amounts, something doesn't add up in my head. He either has remarkably generous assistance somewhere (probably does if he can get a parental loan for a house down payment) or he's lying somewhere.

Assuming he started with that salary at 22, he may be saving 1k a month, and if he's living with mom and dad, that could be real.

Why would you not just save a while longer? Kids are dumb.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

Assuming he started with that salary at 22, he may be saving 1k a month, and if he's living with mom and dad, that could be real.

If he did, he's been maxing/near-maxing his 401k every year with a decent match. For an engineer it's definitely doable, but I don't know. Something about the whole thing feels just slightly like a stretch.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Why would you not just live in a cardboard box under the bridge for $0? It's empirically the cheapest option, and you can catch fish in the river with your bare hands for a reduction in food costs!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Why would you not just live in a cardboard box under the bridge for $0? It's empirically the cheapest option, and you can catch fish in the river with your bare hands for a reduction in food costs!
I would but in the bay area they charge you $100k for a starter box. There aren't as many bridges/fish-catching opportunities further out from the city.

Folly
May 26, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

It seems like a lot of BWM stories could be resolved by shaking someone by the shoulders and screaming "JUST WAIT!" repeatedly.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Weddings: Still BWM

My fiancee left me at the altar. She's refusing to return the engagement ring and pointblank ignored my questions about the shower gifts and the money donated to our honeyfund.

quote:

Two weeks ago my ex-fiancee left me standing at the alter. I'll spare everyone the squishier details, but after not hearing a word from her since our wedding day, she has been texting me. I asked for the engagement ring back and she said no, saying she wanted to "cherish the memory". I then asked her about the wedding shower gifts and the money that was donated to our honeyfund (an online registry where guests buy you honeymoon experiences as a wedding gift) and she flat out ignored the question.
My question is that if I have a right to get the ring back (its valued at 8K) and whether I have any rights to the money that was donated to our honeyfund. I would prefer to return the money to whoever gave it to us instead of funding some stupid girls trip for her and whatever insipid friend she wants to take with her.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hoodwinker posted:

If he did, he's been maxing/near-maxing his 401k every year with a decent match. For an engineer it's definitely doable, but I don't know. Something about the whole thing feels just slightly like a stretch.
If he starts at 22, three years of hitting the cap is 55.5k, this year is another 10 or more because it's August. He'd need 14% growth on that amount, some of which arrived at the start of this month... but I haven't factored in employer match yet. Aggressive stock portfolio would get him there.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Enfys posted:

Weddings: Still BWM

At least he can cut his losses early on. Granted, we only heard one side of it.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

There is a chance he could sue her and obtain it all if she indeed was the one that called it quits. There is judicial precedence for such cases.

HFX fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 11, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the ring is his. Contract and all.

Hopefully her parents were paying for the wedding.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just think honey, after we're married we'll never have to hear from your insipid girl friends again! Wait where are you going come back

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wanna see the tape of that ceremony

Do you Susan take Greg to be your husband

"Nah lmbo that dude sucks this was a bet and I just won"

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

LLCoolJD posted:

Their relationships post was removed but went into more detail that she not only didn't show up at the ceremony but was removing all of her stuff from their shared living space at the time. Plus she was shaking down guests for more gifts. Here's the link to his other thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/6swww3/my_29m_fiancee_27f_left_me_standing_at_the_alter/

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I read stories and think how in the world does that even happen. If I ever get into one myself I'll report back I guess

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

Just think honey, after we're married we'll never have to hear from your insipid girl friends again! Wait where are you going come back

yeah man, no husband ever hates some of his wife's friends.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

No Butt Stuff posted:

yeah man, no husband ever hates some of his wife's friends.

Actually the worst is when you hate the husbands of your wife's friends. They can talk for hours but now I gotta be polite to this dweeb the whole time

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Actually the worst is when you hate the husbands of your wife's friends. They can talk for hours but now I gotta be polite to this dweeb the whole time

Yeah that suuuucks. Luckily when we moved here she made a couple friends with decent husbands that I actually hang out with willingly.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

A old co-worker once told me that he didn't know what to do because he was thousands in debt (didn't give me an exact number) and that he had maxed out 4 credit cards. He wanted to open another one to use since he couldn't do anything with the 4 he already had. I told him that I thought it was a bad idea and that if he didn't change anything, he would just max that one too and be in an even worse spot. We talked for an hour about budgeting, how taxes work (he didn't understand marginal tax brackets), and starting to pay down his debts.

A couple days later when we worked together again, he let me know that he just went ahead opened up another card. I stopped talking to him about finances after that. I know it's not the worst thing in the world, but goddam I was annoyed that I wasted a decent amount of time talking to him.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pipistrelle posted:

A old co-worker once told me that he didn't know what to do because he was thousands in debt (didn't give me an exact number) and that he had maxed out 4 credit cards. He wanted to open another one to use since he couldn't do anything with the 4 he already had. I told him that I thought it was a bad idea and that if he didn't change anything, he would just max that one too and be in an even worse spot. We talked for an hour about budgeting, how taxes work (he didn't understand marginal tax brackets), and starting to pay down his debts.

A couple days later when we worked together again, he let me know that he just went ahead opened up another card. I stopped talking to him about finances after that. I know it's not the worst thing in the world, but goddam I was annoyed that I wasted a decent amount of time talking to him.

I tried to talk to someone once about budgeting, and we concluded that he was spending $500/month on weed

He had no transportation and wanted to buy a car from a friend for $500

My advice to him: "quit weed for a month and you get a car!"

The next week I asked if he quit - "no, but I started selling weed!"

It's a hopeless cycle

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

EugeneJ posted:

I tried to talk to someone once about budgeting, and we concluded that he was spending $500/month on weed

It's a hopeless cycle

How often does he smoke that he can go through $500 of weed

I don't think I could smoke that much if you paid me $500 to do it

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Not a Children posted:

How often does he smoke that he can go through $500 of weed

I don't think I could smoke that much if you paid me $500 to do it

Vaporizers

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The price varies depending on where you are. Someone in a Mumble server was talking about their prices in NJ (I think) once, it was more than twice what some old friends I still have on facebook were advertising it for.

Odds that dumb guy ends up pulling a Smokey?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The price varies depending on where you are. Someone in a Mumble server was talking about their prices in NJ (I think) once, it was more than twice what some old friends I still have on facebook were advertising it for.

Odds that dumb guy ends up pulling a Smokey?

Please tell me they were advertising weed on Facebook.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

therobit posted:

Please tell me they were advertising weed on Facebook.

They were advertising weed on Facebook. And not even a dispensary, unlicensed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They were advertising weed on Facebook. And not even a dispensary, unlicensed.

Bad with money, bad with freedom. Also, they must be really bad at selling drugs if they have to advertise on Facebook.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

It's a hopeless cycle

Potentially GWM.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ahahah a friend on facebook commented on this person's wall post. She sells DOTERRA ESSENTIAL OILS
http://www.oilsforeveryfamily.com/joes-books/

quote:

A Day Without Oils

Written by Joe Bell
Illustrated by Whitney Horton

What happens when a young boy and his family run out of their much needed essential oils? Oh no! He goes through a typical school day and realizes how much he misses his favorite oils. Find out all the ways essential oils could have saved the day and made his day a little better.

Just wait til we're diamond essential oil barons

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Talked to someone today with $20,000 in a basic savings account. Not a bad thing per se, but also has 4 or 5 credit cards maxed out being charged interest at probably 3x the rate at least.

Money is in savings for IVF when Mr Right appears from Plenty Of Fish.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Dillbag posted:

Vaporizers

No loving way. Dude's doing dabs or something. Vaporizers maximize what you can wring out of weed. I get stoned as gently caress three times off one trench in my pax. I'm high daily because I'm a degenerate and my weed costs are so low that it's practically a rounding error in my monthly budget.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I know multiple people who easily vaporize an ounce a week (more maybe?) in their volcanos. I also know multiple people who can polish off a handle alone in 48 hours. Drugs are a hell of a drug.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I know a guy who can smoke an eighth a night out of his vaporizer, that's why he stopped using it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Potentially GWM.

No. Dudes who smoke that much and start selling just end up smoking more for the same cost. Probably smoke up their custies too and are dumb as hell so soon get invaded and lose all their poo poo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6tmeq3/my_friends_tax_avoidance_probably_evasion_scheme/
My friend's tax avoidance (probably evasion) scheme (US). (self.legaladvice)
submitted 7 hours ago * by TollsATollRollsARoll
US - Georgia

quote:

I like to think that I am pretty up to date with the latest ways that people try to legally and illegally get out of income taxes, but a friend of a friend recently told me about a tax scheme that I had never heard of before. Guessing he didn't come up with this scheme on his own, I started googling it hoping to find some message board posts or something. So far I have found nothing.
Before I describe the scheme, I just want to say that this person is not a fringe, anti-gov type of character. He's not living in a bunker in fear of the new world order or whatever. He is fairly well educated, with a BS in Economics from a good school. I was very surprised to hear that he is following through with this idea. Last year his gross income was probably between $90k and $100k, and he paid $0 federal income tax. Honestly, I am concerned for him. I like him personally, but I feel like he has steered his family down a very dangerous road.
Description of the scheme:
Friend of a friend has somehow come to the conclusion that he can avoid federal income tax by only dealing only in what he calls "real money" or “legal tender” (as opposed to US Dollars). Last year he opened a new checking account. In opening the account, he filled out the signature card. Rather than signing the signature card with his name, he signed it with something like “any transactions with this account are made in legal tender” (the wording may be slightly different, I am just going from memory). His employer gives him a paper check rather than direct deposit. When he deposits the check, rather than signing his name he signs it as “deposit as legal tender”. He never withdraws cash from the account. He basically lives on his credit card, and pays off his credit card through the checking account’s bill pay feature. He says at this point the bank may choose to pay the bill with US dollars, but the money they withdrew from his account is “legal tender”. According to him, since he never controlled US dollars, the US government cannot tax
END
It all sounds pretty crazy to me. I’ve tried googling phrases like “avoid taxes legal tender” or similar. I am just surprised that I have never heard of this scheme before. Has anyone else? If so, I would appreciate some links to other websites about this particular tax evasion scheme.
EDIT: /u/SoFlaEstatePlanning commented below with the following link: http://evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html#FRNs . This is pretty much exactly the argument that my friend's friend was making.

The IRS is going to joinder him right in the rear admiralty

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

canyoneer posted:

The IRS is going to joinder him right in the rear admiralty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Dude is going to be yelling "I do not consent" a ton.