Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dunno-Lars posted:

I used the mod that disable personal roboports when you are in range of a normal one, but removed it. It just makes you wait forever instead of having your personal squad do it right away. If you want the base robots to do it, I take the armor off.

Thank you for that rail crossing, I have been trying to remember how it were for ages to show a Factorio buddy. A small note however, replace the entry normal signal with a chain signal.

Mine is drive on left and all the entry signals are chains, the exits have the normal signals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I've never really set up a proper rail network before and now that I'm getting one off the ground I have to say it's very worth it and so very fun. I'd just make a specialized track for each mine/refinery station, which I think everyone does at some point. I think I'm gonna do what another goon did a while back and make a distributed factory over rails for AngelBob's with lots of specialized mini-factories.

Which means I have a question about train-logic. I know you can set several stations to the same name and a train will path to the nearest available station of that name. Can you switch stations on/off using logic networks? If so, what happens if you turn a station off while a train is at it (I.e. station is only "on" if the silo it's connected to has less than 10K iron in it. Train delivers a partial load, logic connected station turns off), does the train just travel to the next point on its programmed route?

Basically I'd like to have little shuttles that sit by the refineries to fill up with various intermediate products and then head out when the mini-factories request them and am trying to think about how to do this semi-intelligently.

And my brain won't shut up about this when I'm trying to sleep...

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 6, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Alkydere posted:

Which means I have a question about train-logic. I know you can set several stations to the same name and a train will path to the nearest available station of that name. Can you switch stations on/off using logic networks? If so, what happens if you turn a station off while a train is at it (I.e. station is only "on" if the silo it's connected to has less than 10K iron in it. Train delivers a partial load, logic connected station turns off), does the train just travel to the next point on its programmed route?

You can indeed switch stations on and off using the circuit logic network. If a rail stop goes offline while a train is at it, I believe the train will continue to wait until it hits its internal departure conditions.

One other thing to note is that if there are multiple eligible stops, the train will always prefer the one closest to it at the time. This may or may not matter.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Dunno-Lars posted:

If you want the base robots to do it, I take the armor off.

Problem is that armor adds more inventory slots. If you're a hoarder like me and have too much random poo poo in your pockets you will dump them out all over everything in a very large radius when you take your power armored pants off.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You can indeed switch stations on and off using the circuit logic network. If a rail stop goes offline while a train is at it, I believe the train will continue to wait until it hits its internal departure conditions.

One other thing to note is that if there are multiple eligible stops, the train will always prefer the one closest to it at the time. This may or may not matter.

Hmmm, good t know. Honestly if they sit there then that just means I likely don't have to worry about figuring out a logic deadzone between when the stop turns on and turns off. It would cause problems if I set the train to drop off 10K items, the train leaves and then the station turn on again immediately at 9,999 items. However it the train keeps unloading for a while, that means the station will have a natural buffer before it turns on again.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I can confirm that if a station is disabled while a train is stopped at it, the train will stay until its leave condition is fulfilled. I use this to the fullest extent in my train based factory.

All my stations are named either <material> Provider or <material> Consumer. Both types have warehouse buffers, and the Provider stations are enabled when there's at least one full train load in the warehouses. The Consumer stations are turned on when there's less than two full train loads in storage.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I can confirm that if a station is disabled while a train is stopped at it, the train will stay until its leave condition is fulfilled. I use this to the fullest extent in my train based factory.

All my stations are named either <material> Provider or <material> Consumer. Both types have warehouse buffers, and the Provider stations are enabled when there's at least one full train load in the warehouses. The Consumer stations are turned on when there's less than two full train loads in storage.

More or less exactly what I was thinking of doing, in fact I think it was your post that inspired me. And that's made incredibly simple with Angel silos which can hold [a fuckton] and be wired up at once instead of dealing with multiple chests. There's also warehouses which an store [a metric fuckton] but really seems kind wasteful since we only need to hold 1.5-2 trainloads.

Probably means I need to stop setting up my ore refineries and start setting up my coal mine/refinery ASAP so I have coke/carbon/carbon pellets to feed to my ore refineries and trains.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GenericOverusedName posted:

Problem is that armor adds more inventory slots. If you're a hoarder like me and have too much random poo poo in your pockets you will dump them out all over everything in a very large radius when you take your power armored pants off.

There's a mod called Equipment Hotkeys that lets you enable/disable personal roboports with a hotkey.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I do this too. It's so much easier than faffing about with a million different station names. If you see a supply bottleneck, you can just create a train with orders to go between whatever station "types" you need and send it on its way. You do have to be careful to give them a station that's always "on", though, or they'll clog up your lines wandering around aimlessly. I've been able to mitigate this by constructing "depots" where trains will go when all the other stations in their orders are offline, as well as the usual waiting bays at each station.

Has anyone found a (elegant) way to solve the problem of branches off the main line having merge-before-split type junctions?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

The Evil Thing posted:

I do this too. It's so much easier than faffing about with a million different station names. If you see a supply bottleneck, you can just create a train with orders to go between whatever station "types" you need and send it on its way. You do have to be careful to give them a station that's always "on", though, or they'll clog up your lines wandering around aimlessly. I've been able to mitigate this by constructing "depots" where trains will go when all the other stations in their orders are offline, as well as the usual waiting bays at each station.

Has anyone found a (elegant) way to solve the problem of branches off the main line having merge-before-split type junctions?

You might want to try the logistic trainstop mod. I don't like the distributed factory model because when we last tried it, we ended up with so many trains the FPS dropped like a rock and eventually wouldn't load any more. If you do try it, go for larger chunks of factory exchanging things, if you try and split off every function you'll end up the same.

If I get that last question, I think you mean running single tracks away from the main? Simple answer, don't. I always lay double tracks everywhere. Tracks are cheap, so are signals and space is abundant.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Ratzap posted:

If I get that last question, I think you mean running single tracks away from the main? Simple answer, don't. I always lay double tracks everywhere. Tracks are cheap, so are signals and space is abundant.

A merge-before-split occurs when traffic that wants to enter a line has to do so before traffic that wants to leave is able to. Cloverleaf junctions are a real-world example of this. If traffic flow is not a concern then they're compact, easy and cheap to build. In Factorio terms, since there's no z-axis, we can't bridge over tracks, so situations like this can occur.

If there's too much traffic then the system can get clogged, which will back up the entire line in one or both directions.

The only solution I've found so far is to build these entrances and exits really far apart, but that's just a workaround, and I was hoping that someone else knew a solution.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Ok, gotcha now. That's a subject of much discussion on the Factorio boards and reddit from what I've seen. I've not read anything claiming to have solved it that survived testing (I read a fair bit but not exhaustive, feel free if you've actually seen a fix to shout up). At most people suggest mitigation strategies which all boil down to spreading the ingress and exit paths apart, providing more paths or reducing traffic.

It's what I meant when I posted earlier about a train heavy game we played. It was a bob/angels setup and we wanted to build things distributed over outposts. We ended up with so many trains that we were constantly having to go fix deadlocks or fiddle the routing about. Fixing it temporarily would have required stopping everything, analyse which trains were necessary, what frequency was acceptable and so on to limit the traffic without killing throughput. About this time the save kept desyncing and then refused to load so we were spared the effort.

Personally I wouldn't do super heavy train builds again unless trying out something like 4 (or more) main line tracks as it just breaks down when the traffic picks up. Or try out logistic stops properly. I have a save with that mod but just not got around to doing much with it.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Evil Thing posted:

If there's too much traffic then the system can get clogged, which will back up the entire line in one or both directions.

The only solution I've found so far is to build these entrances and exits really far apart, but that's just a workaround, and I was hoping that someone else knew a solution.

My solution to lack of space for queuing trains for different stations is this:

There seems to be a limit to the number of trains that will queue well though, after around 20, they can start having issues actually waiting in open lanes and then just back up on the tracks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i use a T-junction i found on the internet and always make trains run on the right track, and the only time i ever have deadlocks is if i forget to make a thing to load fuel onto a train

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What happens if you don't use train signals at all. Do trains crash into each other?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Snak posted:

What happens if you don't use train signals at all. Do trains crash into each other?

Trains just refuse to move because there's another train already occupying those tracks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Jabor posted:

Trains just refuse to move because there's another train already occupying those tracks.

Yeah, basically the entire track is one big, giant block and if you have more than one train on it, that means the block's occupied.

As a side note, speaking of train blocks, I just discovereed the "show blocks" debug functionality this morning:

I remember the blog talking about it a few weeks ago. I didn't realize it was actually in yet.

Debug menu (F4 by default), show-rail-blocks

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Whiirrr posted:

My solution to lack of space for queuing trains for different stations is this:

There seems to be a limit to the number of trains that will queue well though, after around 20, they can start having issues actually waiting in open lanes and then just back up on the tracks.

I'm building one of these train stackers right now. I think the only solution is to maintain proper balance in the amount of trains you have on a line versus the rate you can clear them through your station. Train stackers help, but they can still stack up, as I experienced on my last map just as I burned out, since I didn't have the energy to try to fix it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You'll run into problems if you have enough trains to overflow your stacker, and one station has a higher train throughput than the other one. Generally in that case, though, the problem is that you have too many trains on the route - the station that's backing up is running at full capacity 100% of the time, so the excess trains you're adding aren't actually increasing the throughput of the system at all.

If you're sharing a single stacker between multiple different types of stations it gets more complicated though.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Snak posted:

Jabor posted:

you can have non-signal'd intersections and trains will just blow past it and at some point you'll get a crash

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

I also learned recently that if you have a loop and really long trains they can crash into themselves, which is hilarious.

Signals won't help with this because trains don't care about signals for blocks that they already occupy.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
So, haven't played since 13.x~ish, decided to crank up a 15.x AB game on Wednesday (Full Angel's & Bob's (always both) + Factorissimo2 + Accelerated start + other QOL mods) and see if the magic was still there...

55 hours in on this map, I'm reminded of a comment I heard that the original conceit of Factorio was a game that used integrated chip/board design methodologies in a game. Circuit design makes a HELL of a lot more sense to me now, and it's really helped me understand some of the more esoteric parts of CompSci/Programming:)

Also: with Factorissimo, the chip/code analogue gets stronger: Factory buildings are integrated chips/Objects, Blueprints are classes, and belts are buses/channels. Now I want to try a factory that uses ONLY factorissimo buildings, and make the main bus a 'CPU' of terrifyingly recursive tier 3 factories.

drat I love this game.

Zest fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 7, 2017

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Vivick posted:

I also learned recently that if you have a loop and really long trains they can crash into themselves, which is hilarious.

Signals won't help with this because trains don't care about signals for blocks that they already occupy.

Crashes can also happen if you have two trains in consecutive blocks and remove the signal that separates those block. I found that out the hard way.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I build my stations like this (using Vanilla Loaders and Warehousing). Each stop has room for one more train in queue, and on the exit from the station there's a waiting station so an empty train won't block a consumer station if there are no enabled provider stations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's a dick

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A happy coincidence.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Fun fact: you can force the machinegun to fire at things besides enemies by holding C, which forces it to attack whatever's under your cursor.

Funner fact: bullets, even yellow ones, shred trees very quickly when combined with the machinegun's fire rate.

It's an excellent way of clearing trees at low tech level. It's not quite as good as grenades, but you get the tech for it even earlier and the material cost is even lower, so you can start tearing down forests very early. They also pair very well with grenades at the early tech levels when your grenades don't do enough damage to oneshot trees - the gun will take off the trees' remaining health almost instantly, letting you save your grenades for full-health trees.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Since flamethrowers were added to tanks, the tank flamethrower is an amazing tree clearer.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Not to mention that the tank itself just rolls over trees with a nearly unnoticeable drop in speed :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but if the chip damage doesn't both you, you can point the flamethrower out 90 degrees to melt a wider swath through the forest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Not to mention that the tank itself just rolls over trees with a nearly unnoticeable drop in speed :v:

It becomes annoying with a personal roboport, though. A bot will get out to repair the chip damage, but can't keep up with the speeding tank, so you have to either slow down to catch up or lose a bot.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

It becomes annoying with a personal roboport, though. A bot will get out to repair the chip damage, but can't keep up with the speeding tank, so you have to either slow down to catch up or lose a bot.

Put the repair kits into the vehicles inventory if you're Not planning on fighting things while driving around. They won't pull them from there and you won't have to go chasing them!

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

HAIL POLLUTION SATAN

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Manyorcas posted:

HAIL POLLUTION SATAN

Very much intentional

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

What's the green chest called?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Buffer chest, from the latest Friday Facts

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What does it do?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Snak posted:

What does it do?

Read the Friday Facts?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Holy crap! They finally are fixing the missing link in the logistic chain! I've been wanting something like this for a very long time; glad they're finally getting around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Snak posted:

What does it do?

It acts as both a provider and requester chest, without forming the loops you'd get from using both types of chest separately. So you can have your robots store a certain amount of items in these specific chests ready for when they're needed elsewhere.