Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Rotacixe posted:

Peter Singer has weighed in on the issue. He at least used to have some left wing credentials. I haven't kept up on the latest purity rankings.

Why Google was wrong
http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/google-wrong-article-1.3399750?cid=bitly

Wow, looks like David Brooks blatantly stole this take

Also, this argument is basically just calmhilter.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Trinitite, specifically

trinitite would only form from sand rich in feldspar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Strongly considering moving to Guam right now to take advantage of the explosive drop in real estate prices.

It really is a great time to be alive for Lex Luthoring real estate. Cheap Guam property, buying up all that future beachfront property that the climate change deniers are creating, and might as well look into some of that post cascadia subduction zone oceanfront property while you're at it

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rotacixe posted:

Peter Singer has weighed in on the issue. He at least used to have some left wing credentials. I haven't kept up on the latest purity rankings.

Why Google was wrong

Because he used a calm detached tone, he can't possibly be a shitburger, and his opinion is clearly valid and worthy of respect! :downs:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Wow, I wonder why Trump cut this maybe there's a clue in the arti--

quote:

The Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program (TPPP), a national program created in 2010 under former President Barack Obama,

Oh, ok.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At what point does Twitter have a moral responsibility to ban Trump's account in the interest of preventing nuclear war?

Couple years ago tbh.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

business hammocks posted:

All these guys look like the evil senator from xmen.

For the love of God people, stop posting Jeffrey Lord's picture in this thread over and over. I'm trying to eat lunch.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

Obama implementing this is just a bonus. Republicans love to cut programs that actually help people.

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

I really despise Jeffrey Lord, and I don't think he should have a platform on cable news from which to spew propaganda. I also think his tweet was distasteful.

... but...

it seems pretty clear from the context that he was using that phrase to criticize the guy he was arguing with. He was calling Carusone a fascist. CNN has made itself vulnerable to more of this dubious "censoring free speech" criticism by explicitly basing the firing on simply the utterance of the phrase and not the intended meaning. Posters here and on Twitter are talking about this as if Lord had un-ironically expressed support for the Nazis. People on the right, who know that to be false, see that and take it as further evidence of suppression of free speech or whatever else.

CNN should have just fired him for being generally awful or not even given a reason. Better yet, they should never have hired him in the first place. The outrage over this tweet seems awfully superficial and arbitrary. What am I missing?

It fits into a larger complaint I have with people misinterpreting articles and other media on Twitter and other social media and then spreading false information as a result. The guy outraged about the panel "led by" Ossoff is another example, but I see it all the time...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Getting closer

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/896071250577039360

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

qmark posted:

CNN has made itself vulnerable to more of this dubious "censoring free speech" criticism

this criticism has no merit whatsoever, and is entirely an invention of idiots that freedom of speech means freedom from consequences at all, not just freedom from legal conseuqnces

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

And FL governor Rick Scott is the tall skinny bald of evil character.

No, he's Judge Doom.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
but only the right one

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
When you don't fire weirdos with poor judgment who say and do poo poo in the workplace which justifiably upsets or offends the other employees, the employer acquires a measure of ownership and acquiescence to the behavior. Kind of like a pet owner whose dog has attacked before.

You get rid of these people. That's what you do. To do otherwise is not only crap for all the normal employees who have to put up with lord shitburger, it also justifiably makes you liable for the moment he gets 5 drink drunk at the holiday party and gropes someone.

Firing is the only responsible approach to someone with weird issues who lacks the judgment and self control to behave like an adult.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Proclick.

Okay, are we going to have to sit through Mike Pence explaining how abstinence is the best form of birth control?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

https://twitter.com/Gov_Christie/status/896070376177811457

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

KickerOfMice posted:

Proclick.

Okay, are we going to have to sit through Mike Pence explaining how abstinence is the best form of birth control?

I want to hear Mike Pence say "penis in vagina intercourse".

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hollismason posted:

This could just be Madman game theory

Wait except that he's a actual madman
I was not aware that madman theory was a recognized portion of game theory.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Fake account.

Also this bloated motherfucker (not Christie) is supposed to be on vacation, for God's sake why can't we get the briefest reprieve from his bullshit

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fake account :ssh:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Rotacixe posted:

Why Google was wrong

From an ex-Googler perspective, this whole thing is absolutely crazy.

The company invests a frankly silly amount of time and money to research these issues in an actually scientific manner, as well as sharing the results and conclusions of these studies with everyone in the company.
A single engineer spending a weekend to cobble together that memo and broadcasting it in such a way comes accross as flat-earther employee of NASA level of intellectual disonhesty and flagrantly racist and sexist. That he should be taken seriously in any way is absolutely laughable.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 11, 2017

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Oxxidation posted:

Fake account.

He's as verified as Assange so I understand the confusion.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

qmark posted:

I really despise Jeffrey Lord, and I don't think he should have a platform on cable news from which to spew propaganda. I also think his tweet was distasteful.

... but...

it seems pretty clear from the context that he was using that phrase to criticize the guy he was arguing with. He was calling Carusone a fascist. CNN has made itself vulnerable to more of this dubious "censoring free speech" criticism by explicitly basing the firing on simply the utterance of the phrase and not the intended meaning. Posters here and on Twitter are talking about this as if Lord had un-ironically expressed support for the Nazis. People on the right, who know that to be false, see that and take it as further evidence of suppression of free speech or whatever else.

CNN should have just fired him for being generally awful or not even given a reason. Better yet, they should never have hired him in the first place. The outrage over this tweet seems awfully superficial and arbitrary. What am I missing?

It fits into a larger complaint I have with people misinterpreting articles and other media on Twitter and other social media and then spreading false information as a result. The guy outraged about the panel "led by" Ossoff is another example, but I see it all the time...

Totally agree.

Firing him for that tweet was stupid. They should have just fired him because he sucks.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

qmark posted:

... but...

If I chose to get into a public argument under my own name where I acted like a 17 year old boy having babys first big boy politics thoughts, and threw around nazi crap at people, and my employer saw it, I would be fired.

Not even because of the weird politics and poo poo, no, I'd get fired for having demonstrated a lack of judgment and self control necessary to be trusted to do my job. And that would be the appropriate thing to do.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hollismason posted:

I believe it's a green substance and it was used very briefly in a ornamental way
My mom had a field day collecting this stuff for a few years. It's pretty interesting stuff.

Wiklip[edia is really dumb on the subject though, and claims that you can only find like marble-sized pieces. You can find this stuff in pretty much any antique or second hand store if you know what you're looking for.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/these-people-love-to-collect-radioactive-glass/

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aramis posted:

From an ex-Googler perspective's, this whole thing is absolutely crazy.

The company invests a frankly silly amount of time and money to research these issues in an actually scientific manner, as well as sharing the results and conclusions of these studies with everyone in the company.
A single engineer spending a weekend to cobble together that memo and broadcasting it in such a way comes accross as flat-earther employee of NASA level of intellectual disonhesty and flagrantly racist and sexist. That he should be taken seriously in any way is absolutely laughable.

The common response I've heard is "well, Google actually has a forum where they encourage diverse thoughts and opinions!"

and "the guy didn't actually broadcast it to the whole company, he shared it with a much smaller group and one of them leaked it..."

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

this criticism has no merit whatsoever, and is entirely an invention of idiots that freedom of speech means freedom from consequences at all, not just freedom from legal conseuqnces

Agreed.

And I understand that when a segment of society is acting in bad faith and/or completely irrational, people shouldn't be catering to or trying to placate them.

All I'm saying is it seems like the critical thinking and inability to perceive/appreciate complexities that I hear people criticize the right for is also afflicting the left and mainstream. In this case and others.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At what point does Twitter have a moral responsibility to ban Trump's account in the interest of preventing nuclear war?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

coyo7e posted:

I was not aware that madman theory was a recognized portion of game theory.

In addition, all of game theory is bullshit by the way.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Aramis posted:

From an ex-Googler perspective's, this whole thing is absolutely crazy.

Yeah one of the points from the Vox article posted upthread was that he's opposed to programs meant to increase diversity based on race and sex, but then only ever tries to justify the part about sex. Either he just forgot to cite the Bell Curve or even he knew better than that, which is somewhat telling.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Randbrick posted:

If I chose to get into a public argument under my own name where I acted like a 17 year old boy having babys first big boy politics thoughts, and threw around nazi crap at people, and my employer saw it, I would be fired.

Not even because of the weird politics and poo poo, no, I'd get fired for having demonstrated a lack of judgment and self control necessary to be trusted to do my job. And that would be the appropriate thing to do.

Eh.

Are you a media pundit who's job is literally to act like a 17 year old boy arguing about politics under your own name, with the understanding that your position is not to waiver, as you were hired explicitly to voice an adherence to a specific subset of one political ideology? No?

He's an rear end. His tweets are dumb. So are the tweets of hundreds of other idiot pundits who's job it is to bring in ratings by either pissing off the other side or telling their side what they want to hear.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 11, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like I'm pretty sure I'd get a talking to from HR if I posted "Had a really tough client on the phone today" on my Facebook page and it was public enough for other employees to see it. I don't see why we're bending over backwards to defend people who have to vomit their political views into every public fora they can find, under their real names.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wirth1000 posted:

Oh, ok.

I know this is a dumb insult, but how small does your "ego" have to be that when a dude "roasts" you six years ago at a Press Dinner with a few jokes, you become so obsessed with getting even you become president, soley to repeal everything he did. What a small, petty, pathetic manchild.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

Like I'm pretty sure I'd get a talking to from HR if I posted "Had a really tough client on the phone today" on my Facebook page and it was public enough for other employees to see it. I don't see why we're bending over backwards to defend people who have to vomit their political views into every public fora they can find, under their real names.

IT'S PART OF THEIR JOB.

Jesus christ.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

qmark posted:

... but...

This is the correct take. An example of correctly firing someone for fascist virtue signalling would be Laura Ingrahm's sieg heil to Trump. No one cared because all of her fans are nazis already but it was a case of someone actually displaying nazi sympathies instead of just Godwining on twitter. They never should have had cheerleaders like Lord in the first place, and if they dropped him for just being himself that'd be grand, but this is just another bullet in the enemy's magazine at this point. Because despite their assertion, we really can tell the difference between a nazi and a normal lovely conservative, but now the "you just call everyone you disagree with a nazi" line has that much more validity in the mainstream.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
It seems strange to stand up for workers rights of media personalities who make money off branding themselves and their opinions.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, lol

"Fired for telling the truth"

:rolleyes:

Gotta love it when idiots double down on their idiocy.

Like, if this guy had come out and said "gosh, you know what, that manifesto was a really stupid idea, and after reading many responses i understand i was wrong and im sorry" then this whole thing would blow over.

Now though the guy is for all intents and purposes a walking, talking legal liability and no respectable company will touch him with a ten foot pole. His career in tech is probably done - although he may be launching into a new one as an alt-right icon.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

eyebeem posted:

Eh.

Are you a media pundit who's is literally to act like a 17 year old boy arguing about politics under your own name, with the understanding that your position is not to waiver, as you were hired explicitly to voice an adherence to a specific subset of one political ideology? No?

He's an rear end. His tweets are dumb. So are the tweets of hundreds of other idiot pundits who's job it is to bring in ratings by either pissing off the other side or telling their side what they want to hear.
This is an excellent counterargument. I just instinctively default to white collar work = judgment concerns, but he was hired really because he is a childish intellectually dishonest creep.

I've...reconsidered. He's basically a shock jock when it comes to employment terms. Hm.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

DaveWoo posted:

Fake account :ssh:

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
So he can add "tech industry" to "PhD program" on his list of things that might be impressive if he hadn't failed at them. I'm sure Deloitte or someone will pick him up. Enjoy Northern VA, dickweed!

• Locked thread