Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I fully admit at being worse at aiming than your average high school student who has the time to stay home and play PUBG all day. It's why I like games like Overwatch where getting kills relies on more than just who can aim at heads better and it's why I prefer third person in PUBG. There are more systems at play (even if they aren't entirely fair) and I can get kills by being smart and patient. First person still relies on positioning but it's way heavier on pure technical skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Stealthgerbil posted:

The scale seems mostly fine. There are a few crates and barrels that are gigantic but for the most part, buildings seem fine.

Are you really short in real life? The model is like 4 foot 6

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

The thing with 1pp is people are finally realizing that gun signs are a few inches above the barrel. Just because you can see the target does not mean that your barrel is free of obstructions. Just go on youtube and look at all of the videos of people trying to rest their gun on a car or stand and accidently shooting it.

PUBG really could benefit from a system like in the battlefield games where you prop your gun up on cover when you aim down sights near it. It would fix everyones problem if you could just rest your gun on the window sill, even if you would be more exposed.

Also I noticed the model feels a little short but not like 4 foot 6 inches short, I guess I just never noticed how bad the scale is. You guys are right though, it could be much better. Also I am average height IRL :P

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 11, 2017

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

PantsBandit posted:

I fully admit at being worse at aiming than your average high school student who has the time to stay home and play PUBG all day. It's why I like games like Overwatch where getting kills relies on more than just who can aim at heads better and it's why I prefer third person in PUBG. There are more systems at play (even if they aren't entirely fair) and I can get kills by being smart and patient. First person still relies on positioning but it's way heavier on pure technical skill.

Both my solo chicken dinners came from fp. I enjoy it more because I know that trees and corners ahead of me are either clear, or the person cannot see me unless I see them.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 11, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The most glaring example of scale issues is when I dropped at the hospital in FPP. The wooden double doors with the window at the top are like twice as tall as you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah you come up to a little higher than a doorknob, it's really weird and I see it when I'm in third person now too.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Stealthgerbil posted:

PUBG really could benefit from a system like in the battlefield games where you prop your gun up on cover when you aim down sights near it. It would fix everyones problem if you could just rest your gun on the window sill, even if you would be more exposed.

Soft cover systems like that are great and have been the standard in FPS games for a while now, starting I think with Killzone 2 and Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. Now almost every major franchise has something like it and it'd be wonderful here.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 11, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

http://www.joshmillard.com/2017/08/11/operation-autorun-a-plunkbat-story-in-two-parts/

quote:

I was thinking about goofy stunt playthroughs the other day and was like, “what if all you did was autorun?” Just hit the “run forward automatically” button, and that’s…it.

quote:

So they circle the whole area, hopping and dodging and weaving to avoid the incoming fire they’re expecting at any moment, and they’re getting behind the few trees there are in this wee final circle, hoping to find this guy, this ninja, this loving Plunkbat wizard who is giving them the business. They circle everything, and they do it again. They run past Haus several times, like RIGHT past him. They stop and look at him, and then move on. They circle again, they start shooting everything. Trees. Rocks. Grass. More rocks. There’s not even anything to shoot but they shoot it.

They shoot everything but Haus, at whom they keep looking and then moving on.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It'd be much better if developers just started demanding that level designers be competent and not put things at arbitrary heights, but rather specific ones designed for balance and consistency. There should basically be a few tiers of obstacle - one particular height hides you prone but can be shot over crouched, one particular height hides you crouched but can be shot over standing, and high enough that you're not visible at all. Nothing in between, stick to those specific heights.

This isn't a new concept, the fundamentals of mapping as game design have been around since Quake, but every year there are fewer and fewer games with competent designers because it's all driven by art now - even though nobody gives a gently caress how the map looks after the very first time they play.

Human scale being off is simply a requirement for third person to be workable. The game has bad enough camera issues as is, if buildings were tighter it would be totally intolerable.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

If FPP is making you sick try turning FOV up

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

lol this is such a bad, basic argument for third person

I had two engagements last night that were so much more exciting and balanced because it was first person and not third. The first was rolling up on a squad in a house, the second was taking a hill. Both were actually fair because the other group didn't get any free information. No more sitting behind a tree using a first aid while watching everything. One person can't watch everything from below a window, they have to move around. First person owns
I enjoy using positioning to my advantage in order to see people who can't see me. I feel I'm better at that than I am at shooting and I would have less fun with the game if I couldn't gain an advantage by being smarter about where I stand. It wasn't something I thought I'd like when I started but I'm pretty attached to it now.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I enjoy FPP slightly more than TPP, but I also don't feel this game would be nearly as popular / successful if they would have launched with FPP only. Messing around in third person is just too much fun, and makes the driving feel a lot like GTA which is rad.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Everyone has the same advantages in TPP

Please learn how to use those advantages and understand how they can be leveraged against you as well.

H T H.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Man it feels good to be a player!

First ever alive bicken dinner!

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

iSheep posted:

Everyone has the same advantages in TPP

Please learn how to use those advantages and understand how they can be leveraged against you as well.

H T H.
People know this. Some people are cool with sitting behind a wall waiting patiently for the action to come to them and others want to go chasing the action. tpp highly favours the former, fpp enables the latter. Luckily people don't have to choose so it's not a big deal and everybody can carry on enjoying the game however they want. What a world we live in!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I enjoy using positioning to my advantage in order to see people who can't see me. I feel I'm better at that than I am at shooting and I would have less fun with the game if I couldn't gain an advantage by being smarter about where I stand. It wasn't something I thought I'd like when I started but I'm pretty attached to it now.

FPP still offers huge rewards to people who utilize smart positioning and can think of creative plays on the fly. Keep in mind that while your own sight is hamstrung in FPP your opponents' sight is also as well. It's much easier to run away from fights or reposition yourself and I've noticed due to that handicap sound becomes that much more important. Because of this I've run into almost no stalemate situations after dozens of games where it would happen in almost every game in TPP. Just personal preference but I like how much faster and difficult FPP is.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

Man it feels good to be a player!

First ever alive bicken dinner!

Did you know your computer allows you to take pictures of what's on the screen?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

afkmacro posted:

Did you know your computer allows you to take pictures of what's on the screen?

afterburner died due to a windows update, print screen didn't work!

had to capture it somehow :thunk:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

AEMINAL posted:

F12

Parachute
May 18, 2003
glad the panorama function on your phone worked for that girthy af monitor

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

where does that save??

edit:

Parachute posted:

glad the panorama function on your phone worked for that girthy af monitor

:q:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

AEMINAL posted:

where does that save??

edit:

Steam saves it temporarily, when you close the game a window will pop up that will let you upload it to your steam profile.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

AEMINAL posted:

where does that save??

edit:

Steam community page, click view screenshots from the overlay and publish to friends or save to desktop from inside the steam storage. It's a bit cumbersome and doesn't easily link outside of steam, but it'll do in a pinch.

Also use the windows Snipping Tool

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AEMINAL posted:

F12 will make Steam take a screenshot. You can even adjust the settings so it will save an uncompressed version.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Alt+Print Screen will generally capture the full screen image

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Kewl, thanks good goon friends!!

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Never had the houses not loading in bug before. We just landed, and I wondered what the hell this guy was doing crouching in an open field.

https://streamable.com/vo065

Not been playing 1pp much, so even though I was checking the map, I was starting to wonder if the perspective was making me unable to see the town.

(hope I don't get reported for cheating)

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

fpp is strictly and objectively better, more exciting and more interesting but i hope they maintain a small minority of 3rdpp servers for casuals to play

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Never had the houses not loading in bug before. We just landed, and I wondered what the hell this guy was doing crouching in an open field.

Not been playing 1pp much, so even though I was checking the map, I was starting to wonder if the perspective was making me unable to see the town.

lmao what the gently caress

i loving love this game

Ninjalicious
Feb 22, 2010
My play experience:

I don't know if it's the 5 year old Geforce 560Ti, or the 8GBS of RAM :smithicide: but during the plane ride and the parachute sequence of every game I get to play asset loading roulette. Maybe I get to see HQ game assets and the ground while sky diving! Maybe I won't! Maybe the houses will all load textures before the other player's loot the M16's and shoot me while I prone desperately waiting for polygons to resolve so I can loot them. Maybe I'll get punched to death before the screen refreshes at all! Maybe I'll glitch inside of a house and loot before the drat wall polygons load (the loot loads first). Maybe I'll get stuck inside of an asset that hasn't loaded yet. I have become an expert on flying parachutes with a frame every 30 seconds.

Despite this and the occasional bizarre error like the game crashing when I drown from parachuting into blue parts of the map, I love this game. If I can get past the first loot cycle where everyone claims clusters of houses, I have a pretty great experience even with the reduced performance and occasional lag which I ascribe to my ancient hardware more than anything else. I'm still chasing that solo chicken dinner in FPP (3PP sucks guys come on it's clearly a worse game) but I'm hungry for it and once I get new hardware watch out in the queues kiddies.

This game is so good I'll play it at a drat handicap and then some.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ninjalicious posted:

I don't know if it's the 5 year old Geforce 560Ti, or the 8GBS of RAM :smithicide:

you could get a computer 5 times better than this for $500

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

They no poo poo just banned some streamer like yesterday or the day before for that.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

fknlo posted:

They no poo poo just banned some streamer like yesterday or the day before for that.

Yea but didn't he stream himself doing it? It would be pretty hard to prove if you didn't stream yourself.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

New Zealand can eat me posted:

If FPP is making you sick try turning FOV up

I actually got a headache from a high fov and had to reset to 90. Basically, try a few settings until you get one that doesn't ruin you.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
"we cant make our game run properly, so we'll just ban anyone who it breaks for"

also I found a way to turn off the rain AND car(at least the buggy noise) noises for myself. It happens if I'm talking on the in-game mic and bring up my map at the same time. Poof, sounds gone.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Doorknob Slobber posted:

"we cant make our game run properly, so we'll just ban anyone who it breaks for"

also I found a way to turn off the rain AND car(at least the buggy noise) noises for myself. It happens if I'm talking on the in-game mic and bring up my map at the same time. Poof, sounds gone.

This sounds like a neat trick to remove rain noises BUT car noises seem important SO

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yea but didn't he stream himself doing it? It would be pretty hard to prove if you didn't stream yourself.

The guy got banned for that but grimmz didn't get banned for intentionally exploiting the bug where you can crouch and shoot underwater multiple times :thumbsup:

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

If anything, good positioning is even more important for 1pp mode because you cant magically see when enemies are approaching and if you peek out of cover, they know where you are. 3pp is much more forgiving because you can check and see if the coast is clear and pop out of cover with zero risk. Really 3pp just has way less risk involved. I just find 3pp to be a much easier and more relaxed gameplay style.

I personally like 1pp because it is just more intense and challenging. The terrain also matters a lot more as well. Small ditches and dips in the ground are actually useful for cover now. Having to plan out your route so you can crouch walk through the field and not be as visible is also way more important.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This sounds like a neat trick to remove rain noises BUT car noises seem important SO

it only removes the sound from your vehicle, I've discovered a different way of doing this trick as well & it applies for everybody in your buggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I find fpp to be easier due to my more aggressive play style.

I like to move and I find I die more in third person due to people peeking.

• Locked thread