Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

ded posted:

You would think that with 10+ years of PNA points you might get E-5 out of pity.

If you are in that boat you aren't passing the exam. Re BAS, we were told to go to admin, so we are hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

maffew buildings posted:

If you are in that boat you aren't passing the exam. Re BAS, we were told to go to admin, so we are hosed

Why? Its money youre entitled to? If they dont want to bother then drop a dime to the IG and start cooking with gas baby!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Always elevate your complaints, never let yourself get hosed over. Big navy doesn't appreciate when local staff fucks over sailors and ruin retention rates. Either Admin gives you your money or you file some official complaints.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Navy just announced they're changing chief sea/shore rotation timing and basically forcing tons of shore chiefs out to sea duty.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Navy just announced a program to refit all doors and scuttles to an XL size pattern.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So tons of chiefs gonna fail the PFA now or

lol

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

Navy just announced a program to refit all doors and scuttles to an XL size pattern.

We had a perma E-5 on my boat who was no poo poo 350+ lbs. He fit through all the sub stuff just fine. Tubbo chiefs should have no problem on skimmers!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What the... how...

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

What the... how...

Well all the water tight doors are circles so if he was a short 350 then there are plenty of handrails and lips to grab onto.

Being tall is alot worse for sub duty than being fat

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

But how do you pass your PRT at that weight? Your belly would get in the way of doing a single push-up or sit-up.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

But how do you pass your PRT at that weight? Your belly would get in the way of doing a single push-up or sit-up.

He passed all of the physical requirements like run time, pushups, and situps but failed due to weight. Dude was just a big rear end Jamaican and one of the coolest guys on the boat. He was a QM and didn't smoke so had no need to go back aft.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

He'd probably pass today if his neck was girthy.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
So had another admiral visit today. This is the like the 5th or 6th one we've had since the collision.

He kept asking at all hands call if anyone had any questions. Why the gently caress would we? The one question of "What's going to happen to the crew" he wasn't able to answer, so why the gently caress would he have anything else to ask him? As far as we're concerned, this is just another dog and pony show and we're sick of it.

The Chiefs apparently tore into him during his session with them. The reminded him that there are actual people that work on the drat ship and that they have families. I guess that made him think, because when he spoke with the officers, he made sure to mention that.

But then he asked about what the difference in readiness was between the Ronald Reagan Strike Group and West Coast ships. I said that they had a Training Phase and we didn't. He replied that that wasn't the issue, and then asked our NAV what affected readiness. NAV said Tools, Personnel, and Material. That apparently wasn't the answer and so he was asked again how we get ready to do the job if that makes sense. NAV replied that we get ready when we went out. We don't really train because we're always doing the job.

He said no, that we train all the time. That our Combat Systems folks ran drills and that's how they learned. That our ASW folks ran scenarios and trained off of Guam.

I don't know what fantasy world he lives in, but he doesn't live in the same world we do. We didn't train. We literally learned our jobs by doing all of that poo poo. Because we didn't have time for anything else with all the real world poo poo going on.

I'm bitter. The next time an Admiral comes on board and wants to make pretty speeches and doesn't have any answers, I'm going to lose it.

That said, I took the blood money and will be doing department head rides. Please pray for any future DIVOs I may have. because if they gently caress around on bridge watch, they will not be having a good day.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Valley Stared posted:

I'm bitter. The next time an Admiral comes on board and wants to make pretty speeches and doesn't have any answers, I'm going to lose it.

That said, I took the blood money and will be doing department head rides. Please pray for any future DIVOs I may have. because if they gently caress around on bridge watch, they will not be having a good day.

Keep cool dude. People with your experience are too valuable to the rest of us. Thanks for being to able to help train still.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Our poor cpo-select came to tears today.

Gonna help him with one of his projects on the sly because he's so overwhelmed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

Our poor cpo-select came to tears today.

Gonna help him with one of his projects on the sly because he's so overwhelmed.

gently caress that make him earn his loving anchors. If he doesn't want to do this poo poo, he doesn't have to.

Likewise do not buy from any loving fundraisers. All it does is go to booze.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah the whole thing is they have to do their own thing, don't gently caress with the process, because they will gently caress you up if you get caught.

Basically gently caress compassion, Chief season is only a couple weeks he can tough it out or go back to being a first class.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nah it's just making a knocker out of some line for our bell. We don't have an experienced BM to teach him any fancy line work. I can make a decent piece in 15 minutes or less. I'm even in practice right now from my volunteer work on a local ship museum. End splice to an end splice and Bobs your uncle. We have some visit by a rear admiral or such this weekend and he's being smoked to the bone doing retarded stuff.

Plus he gave me a donut once so I kinda like him.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Yeah the whole thing is they have to do their own thing, don't gently caress with the process, because they will gently caress you up if you get caught.

Basically gently caress compassion, Chief season is only a couple weeks he can tough it out or go back to being a first class.

I mean, it's the last few weeks he's going to have to do any work. Might as well let him do it.

Counterpoint
Chief initiation is loving dumb and anything you can do to make it less retarded is cool

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fine fine I'll let it drop.

Was a good donut though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Fine fine I'll let it drop.

Was a good donut though.

See my edit. I didn't finish my thought.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

See my edit. I didn't finish my thought.

Good counterpoint. I feel like he's getting extra pooped on because of the untimely admiral visit.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I thought the whole point of most of the impossible tasks in chief initiation is so that they reach out to their fellow selectees and actually network to get things done. Dude doesn't know BM linework, so he should reach out to a BM selectee or a BMC to either learn or get it done.

Also to get poo poo on for a few weeks so that they come back with a koolaid IV jammed firmly in their arm

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I would say that's something that would happen in a normal sized command but this is a NOSC with like one CPO select.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Commoners posted:

I thought the whole point of most of the impossible tasks in chief initiation is so that they reach out to their fellow selectees and actually network to get things done. Dude doesn't know BM linework, so he should reach out to a BM selectee or a BMC to either learn or get it done.

Outsourcing stupid tasks to a junior sailor is a pretty pro :chiefsay: move, sounds like he's earned his anchors. Roll that poo poo downhill.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I can understand if you're the only person around who can do fancywork so long as you get to do it on the clock.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can understand if you're the only person around who can do fancywork so long as you get to do it on the clock.

Lol. I'm on ADT orders. I have to search for stuff to do to not die from boredom.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Nah it's just making a knocker out of some line for our bell. We don't have an experienced BM to teach him any fancy line work. I can make a decent piece in 15 minutes or less. I'm even in practice right now from my volunteer work on a local ship museum. End splice to an end splice and Bobs your uncle. We have some visit by a rear admiral or such this weekend and he's being smoked to the bone doing retarded stuff.

Plus he gave me a donut once so I kinda like him.

Tell that baby there's an app for that

Grog Knots

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Hmmm maybe this Chief select could...figure it out?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dingleberry posted:

Tell that baby there's an app for that

Grog Knots

Oooh I'm getting that for myself!

Man I always forget all the cool stuff that there is apps for.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Oooh I'm getting that for myself!

Man I always forget all the cool stuff that there is apps for.

Yeah it's pretty sweet for like two bucks

Taught myself how to splice with cheap braided hemp from Home Depot and this app

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

I don't know what fantasy world he lives in, but he doesn't live in the same world we do. We didn't train. We literally learned our jobs by doing all of that poo poo. Because we didn't have time for anything else with all the real world poo poo going on.

The machine is built so that he lives in a fantasy world. If he could understand what was going on it would break him and he would be useless as an Admiral, unless he was strong enough to bury it or a purely sociopath. Military officers lose a bit of humanity every year and by the time you're an Admiral your empathy has been deadened to that of a pop idol and you have more skeletons in your closet than a favor mongering organized crime small town mayor.

He gave more than his life for his country; he gave his soul. He's the man that was used up.

Keep your cool. Make it better. For the love of God if you're competent take a staff billet and treat it like every mistake you or your men make is multiplied by the number of ships there are, because it is.

Enjoy the blood money.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

So had another admiral visit today. This is the like the 5th or 6th one we've had since the collision.

He kept asking at all hands call if anyone had any questions. Why the gently caress would we? The one question of "What's going to happen to the crew" he wasn't able to answer, so why the gently caress would he have anything else to ask him? As far as we're concerned, this is just another dog and pony show and we're sick of it.

The Chiefs apparently tore into him during his session with them. The reminded him that there are actual people that work on the drat ship and that they have families. I guess that made him think, because when he spoke with the officers, he made sure to mention that.

But then he asked about what the difference in readiness was between the Ronald Reagan Strike Group and West Coast ships. I said that they had a Training Phase and we didn't. He replied that that wasn't the issue, and then asked our NAV what affected readiness. NAV said Tools, Personnel, and Material. That apparently wasn't the answer and so he was asked again how we get ready to do the job if that makes sense. NAV replied that we get ready when we went out. We don't really train because we're always doing the job.

He said no, that we train all the time. That our Combat Systems folks ran drills and that's how they learned. That our ASW folks ran scenarios and trained off of Guam.

"Sir, we need more training. This ship was just found responsible for a collision that killed sailors and caused critical damage to a US Navy warship. It happened because our people aren't getting enough training."

"You get plenty of training. I don't have to listen to your opinions, because you idiots are responsible for that collision so your opinions can't be trusted."

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
What is blood money in this context?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Zeris posted:

What is blood money in this context?

Bonus money to stay on as a SWO for his Department Head (senior O-3, O-4) tour.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

Commoners posted:

Also to get poo poo on for a few weeks so that they come back with a koolaid IV jammed firmly in their arm

Your first comment is pretty much exactly the point of what initiation is supposed to be. Also, they'll never be able to complete all tasks and they'll never be right. It's to teach them to work as a cohesive group and to deal with the inevitable "we did everything right, but the Captain/Admiral/WhoTheFuckEver still thinks we're wrong" aspect of enlisted leadership.

Sadly, many Messes make your second statement true as well...

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Bonus money to stay on as a SWO for his Department Head (senior O-3, O-4) tour.

Like, because of the accident?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Zeris posted:

Like, because of the accident?

No. The Navy pays SWO O3's $75k+ dollars to agree to do two department head tours on a ship.

Edit: It's called "Blood Money" colloquially because being a department head sucks pretty badly.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If I remember right our esteemed senior ranking naval officer said this of being a department head "there are two things I hate: ships and sailors"