Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Arglebargle III posted:

Nah it's been obvious forever

Type R?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arglebargle III posted:

Nah it's been obvious forever

I noticed it B-4

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I hope there are increasingly elderly looking prototypes, and that Soong would have just started building android babies if he had kept at it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

What the hell were they thinking with that 3/4 saucer with the front quarter missing.

what they were thinking was "we've only got six months to ship this game"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I like that little loop of skin. Must be agony to get that caught on something

E: did they use hands for that shot...?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Did anyone else just realise that the difference between Data and Lore is reflected in their names? Lore (folklore) being more emotional, Data being cold and scientific?

Get this shirt

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What a password

Fun fact Data's verbal password is better than 256-bit encryption and even if the crew could use the Enterprise's three computer cores to brute force it, which they can't, it would still take 30 trillion years to brute force even assuming each Enterprise computer core is a trillion times faster than a modern supercomputer.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 11, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What a password

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAUVUUhf7U0

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What I love the most about these scenes (other than how bad-rear end it is that Data single-handedly took over the entire ship) is how promptly these security features were forgotten. Data is able to close off access to the bridge and the main computer so completely that even Picard isn't able to do anything but stand there getting annoyed in Engineering.

Then comes Voyager, and suddenly Janeway doesn't have the ability to close off access to the bridge and prevent the Kazon (of all races) from capturing the ship? Granted, Data had special abilities that facilitated what he was doing, but it's shocking how dumb and inept Starfleet security tends to be - at least in the 24th century (of course, in the 23rd, Kirk allowed Khan to read the Enterprise's tech manual so that he would learn exactly how to take over that ship).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like that little loop of skin. Must be agony to get that caught on something

E: did they use hands for that shot...?

Nah, those look like ankles and heels there. I think there's just a shitload of prosthesis attached.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also,

McSpanky posted:

Had to look that one up.

:stwoon:

That's really cool, I'd never heard of that one before (and also, damnit Sternbach why wasn't that in the TNG tech memo binder?? :argh:)

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

DS9 pilot sucked, couldn't get past the first 10 minutes (e: I actually don't know how long I watched it, probably more than 10min). Everyone says DS9 is good but what I saw felt like a really really lovely 90s action movie. My friend said to skip the first season. Is thay accurate?

In the mean time, I decided to move on to TOS and TNG movies and so far so good. I enjoyed Generations (emotion Data kinda sucks) and I think Wrath of Khan is next.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 11, 2017

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

3 DONG HORSE posted:

DS9 pilot sucked, couldn't get past the first 10 minutes. Everyone says DS9 is good but what I saw felt like a really really lovely 90s action movie. My friend said to skip the first season. Is thay accurate?

In the mean time, I decided to move on to TOS and TNG movies and so far so good. I enjoyed Generations (emotion Data kinda sucks) and I think Wrath of Khan is next.

:gowron:

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

What I love the most about these scenes (other than how bad-rear end it is that Data single-handedly took over the entire ship) is how promptly these security features were forgotten. Data is able to close off access to the bridge and the main computer so completely that even Picard isn't able to do anything but stand there getting annoyed in Engineering.

Then comes Voyager, and suddenly Janeway doesn't have the ability to close off access to the bridge and prevent the Kazon (of all races) from capturing the ship? Granted, Data had special abilities that facilitated what he was doing, but it's shocking how dumb and inept Starfleet security tends to be - at least in the 24th century (of course, in the 23rd, Kirk allowed Khan to read the Enterprise's tech manual so that he would learn exactly how to take over that ship).

I'd really like to hope that after the event in "Brothers", someone thought to say "Hey, Computer, from now on if the voice of the captain is locking out all command functions, please verify that he is at least in the loving room!"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'm not trolling, I loving loved TOS so maybe a space station is not for me

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm not trolling, I loving loved TOS so maybe a space station is not for me

The irony is that DS9 has more in common with TOS than TNG does. It just takes DS9 a bit to find its footing, just like TNG.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
DS9 season 1 is better than TNG season 1 but it still hadn't quite found its voice yet. My first time watching through DS9, on the recommendation of a previous version of this thread, I just watched Emissary and Duet from season 1 then went to season 2, then came back and watched the rest of season 1 later. If Emissary was a huge slog for you then maybe skipping to season 2 (After watching Duet) would be okay?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I dreamed Patrick Stewart was visiting the same museum as me and he seemed to be drunk. He hijacked to intercom to give the museum a speech about how proud of them he was, and he was stumbling around not looking where he was going and collided with me a few times, he was wearing Picard's starfleet uniform, and at one point he said aloud "ah, I wonder how the fans are doing?" and pulled out this giant tablet/smartphone to read a large-print version of Twitter instead of looking at the exhibits and loudly said "aw, how sweet!" or "hiLARious!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

DS9 pilot sucked, couldn't get past the first 10 minutes (e: I actually don't know how long I watched it, probably more than 10min). Everyone says DS9 is good but what I saw felt like a really really lovely 90s action movie. My friend said to skip the first season. Is thay accurate?

Most of season 1 including the pilot isn't great and they clearly hadn't figured out exactly what kind of show they were making yet. It's not terrible either, which is more than can be said for a lot of early TNG. I personally think it's worth watching, but wouldn't begrudge anyone for doing a "best of" list instead. Just season 1 though.

I don't really think you can skip the pilot though. Maybe go back and watch after season 2 or something. It should be watched before getting too far into the series. Don't worry, it's still nowhere near as bad as TNG's pilot.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I dreamed Patrick Stewart was visiting the same museum as me and he seemed to be drunk. He hijacked to intercom to give the museum a speech about how proud of them he was, and he was stumbling around not looking where he was going and collided with me a few times, he was wearing Picard's starfleet uniform, and at one point he said aloud "ah, I wonder how the fans are doing?" and pulled out this giant tablet/smartphone to read a large-print version of Twitter instead of looking at the exhibits and loudly said "aw, how sweet!" or "hiLARious!"

Are you sure this was a dream and not, you know, something Patrick Stewart actually did?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Stop the TNG movies after First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis are not worth your time.

Skip to DS9 Season 2 instead. :getin:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

Are you sure this was a dream and not, you know, something Patrick Stewart actually did?

Sounds like an average Deputy Director Bullock B-plot to me.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Thanks for the advice, dudes. I'll finish the pilot, watch Duet and hit Season 2 for now. I also didn't realize it had more in common with TOS so that is very encouraging. I liked TNG a lot but it felt less.."deep" than TOS, although there are some amazing seasons and episodes.

Anyway, Star Trek is cool and I hope that new show doesn't suck rear end

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It's a nice touch that a more paranoid Cardassian computer would have noticed the trick; Civil Defense established that the DS9 computer scans senior officers making high clearance level requests to check their identity.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

McSpanky posted:

Sounds like an average Deputy Director Bullock B-plot to me.

I was picturing Bullock the whole time I read that. It's perfect. "Goodness, I wonder how the fans are doing? Hee hee hee heee!"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DS9 is good and you should watch the episode after the pilot as well because it introduces some important recurring characters.

Also how can you not even get through Wolf 359.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 11, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a nice touch that a more paranoid Cardassian computer would have noticed the trick; Civil Defense established that the DS9 computer scans senior officers making high clearance level requests to check their identity.

We also see that the Defiant's computer takes biometric scans before letting you engage the self-destruct, instead of every other Starfleet ship, where it seems like you just need to sneak a belligerent Data on board and tell him who to impersonate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm most of the way through TOS, having never really watched it beyond random episodes as a kid. It's not very good. I can see how it would have been groundbreaking at the time but eesh. I'm not sure if I'd rather watch Voyager but they're together at the bottom. I guess TOS is somewhat redeemed by movies.

It has a lot of pacing issues. I just watched Plato's Stepchildren and I swear there was a solid 15 minute scene of Kirk and Spock acting like morons under the mind control, just straight on and on and on endlessly. There are so many of these parts where they take one or two minutes of content and stretch it out forever.

Also every other episode being the same "godlike or extremely advanced alien takes over and does whatever it wants through the magic of a weird ding sound effect until someone finds their control mechanism somewhere and stops it" plot. That has to be at least 25% of the episodes.

Next I'm on to The Animated Series, which I have never seen anything of beyond gifs. I am aware at some point Spock becomes a wizard and summons literal Satan or something? I'm looking forward to it, what I've heard sounds like they just did a shitload of peyote and shat out the cheapest cartoon they could think of.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Third season is bad in significant part because most of the people on staff who really knew how to write for the show were gone, and nobody wanted to write for a show that was obviously going to be canceled, so the show was even more desperate for anything halfway shootable to at least fulfill their contractual obligation to NBC (and nobody was around to polish the turds). It's made even worse by the fact that Paramount was looking to cut their losses (since the money from NBC never paid for the full cost of producing the show) and cut the episode budget so severely that Bob Justman complained they had practically been reduced to running a radio show.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I haven't noticed any real quality difference between seasons, it's all been bad/boring with the occasional good episode sprinkled in.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm in a similar boat, recently watching through TOS as a whole for the first time. Got sidetracked by moving and stuff, but we are in early season 3. We definitely felt a decline halfway through S2. Overall I'd say S1 is the strongest -- despite the repetitive plots -- even though some of the show's most memorable moments and tropes didn't come until later. (Shatner in particular just gets more and more Shatnery as the show goes on.)

Unlike DS9, it probably comes off better watching the episodes in completely random order. Heck, the first half of S1 might as well be in random order, since it had like 3 pilots plus 3 other episodes that they finished production on at the wrong time and had almost no control over when they aired. And then there's the second half of S2 which just has a brutally samey run of "Not Earth" episodes in a row.

Kyyrewyyoae
Jul 20, 2007

Vae debilibus!

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm most of the way through TOS, having never really watched it beyond random episodes as a kid. It's not very good. I can see how it would have been groundbreaking at the time but eesh. I'm not sure if I'd rather watch Voyager but they're together at the bottom. I guess TOS is somewhat redeemed by movies.

It has a lot of pacing issues. I just watched Plato's Stepchildren and I swear there was a solid 15 minute scene of Kirk and Spock acting like morons under the mind control, just straight on and on and on endlessly. There are so many of these parts where they take one or two minutes of content and stretch it out forever.

Also every other episode being the same "godlike or extremely advanced alien takes over and does whatever it wants through the magic of a weird ding sound effect until someone finds their control mechanism somewhere and stops it" plot. That has to be at least 25% of the episodes.

Next I'm on to The Animated Series, which I have never seen anything of beyond gifs. I am aware at some point Spock becomes a wizard and summons literal Satan or something? I'm looking forward to it, what I've heard sounds like they just did a shitload of peyote and shat out the cheapest cartoon they could think of.

I just finished doing the same thing, watching every episode of TOS and listening to Mission Log after each one. I'm about halfway through TAS now. And yeah, aside from a few great episodes, it wasn't impressive. Having grown up on TNG and DS9, sometimes it's hard to believe that came from that.

It's not just production value, it's story and character.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Aw, Jeb's first Orb Experience! :kimchi:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grand Fromage posted:

That's not far off. Roddenberry needed money and Paramount was seeing nice returns from the syndication of the original series, so he accepted the offer to "produce" the animated series (really, he just collected a paycheck). Hence all the whackadoodle poo poo, since Filmation was making it for about two bucks an episode--I kid, but not by much.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I hope that new show doesn't suck rear end

Oh, you poor thing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Binary Badger posted:

The Orville: American Trek

Oh yeah, here's the cover to ST:TNG Mirror Broken #4:

You get the feels that these ships should never be that close in real combat, but, whatevs.

And yeah, that's supposed to be the Mirror Universe (Galaxy Class) Enterprise.

I hate to bring this one last point up aside from the impossible geometry and lovely composition, but because of whatever lame paint brush used, it actually looks like the Enterprise is not firing a phaser but emitting a huge stream of fiery, acidic piss that is taking out that Cardassian cruiser.

As a palette cleanser, how about the variant cover for issue 3, mirror Beverly Crusher..

And this was the original:

Yes, in the mirror universe Wesley is super-competent and doesn't wash his hair.. huh, is he microwaving Cupcake?!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 11, 2017

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Binary Badger posted:

Yes, in the mirror universe Wesley is super-competent and doesn't wash his hair

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo. It was aliens all along.

that touched Wesley and made him "phase" into another "dimension"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Is that the 'it can only be.. ALIENS' guy?

e;f;b

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, when I watched TOS I realized that they had like six basic plots that they recycled and mix'd n' matched. Remembering that early TNG is pretty lovely, but compared to TV at the time it was pretty good, I can't help but wonder if TOS was pretty good compared to other 60s programs.

TAS I think is hilarious - you thought season 8 TNG was weird...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nebakenezzer posted:

, I can't help but wonder if TOS was pretty good compared to other 60s programs.

It was. TOS gets a bad rap these days because it's judged it from a 2017 perspective, and not a 1966 perspective. TOS is much better than many fans make it out to be.