Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

DemonMage posted:

Regardless, what cool things does it do that Pocket Casts does not?

I use both, and appreciate Podcast Addict's ability to use a simple text list as directory. Also the option for a "recycle bin" auto-cleanup which empties after X amount of time or storage etc, instead of just purely delete-based cleanup mechanisms. Also deeper searches of your library and some alternative new/discovery searches, I think.

edit: Pocket Casts is great for a colorful fat-finger navigation approach, but gets pretty clunky when you have a ton of subscriptions.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What's the most user-friendly email client that works with self-hosted IMAP servers? (Not Gmail, if Gmail does that.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dunno if it works with them, but Outlook is nice in general.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Re Podcast apps, since moving to Podcast Addict I'm particularly liking the implementation of 'Podcast Priority' grouping which bumps preferred podcasts to the top of the playlist. The Pocketcast way never really sat right with me.

Episode keyword search is great. There's also 'virtual podcast by keyword search' which sounds interesting, but haven't tried yet.

Being able to swipe through episodes on discription view.

Having a persistent sleep timer is amazing, if I set it at 15mins and then hit play again at the end it'll play for another 15. I've seen this requested for pocketcast a few times, and now I've tried it it's criminal it doesn't have it.

Granular/multi level sorting of playlists. Sort by date then priority etc.

Viewing episode lists before subscribing.

A playback history list.

They're the key points so far. Though I'm still playing around with the settings, as there is a lot of control. Pocketcast wins on looks, change logs, and simplicity, maybe.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 6, 2017

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

Dunno if it works with them, but Outlook is nice in general.

Thanks, outlook is rad

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

tvgm2 posted:

I tried using [Google Play Music Podcasts] instead of Pocketcasts for months. I missed skipping ahead 30 seconds with my car's Next button (Google Play skips to the next episode of the podcast, which is the stupidest design), playback speed, programmable up next playlist, etc.. They're also missing a ton of podcasts.

Yeah, podcasts have to be officially submitted and approved for Google Play Podcasts, and without any sort of user rating or review process, most podcasters don't seem to promote it. Is the only thing Podcasters are getting out of it increased visibility, because they show up in GPM searches?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

maltesh posted:

Yeah, podcasts have to be officially submitted and approved for Google Play Podcasts, and without any sort of user rating or review process, most podcasters don't seem to promote it. Is the only thing Podcasters are getting out of it increased visibility, because they show up in GPM searches?

I think GPM also rehosts the podcast files, which many podcasters don't like for various reasons.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Agreed above, re: Podcast Addict. I am still discovering new features.

Another thing in its favor: It was incredibly easy to transfer all my history, settings, playlist, and listened/unlistened status from one phone to another. I was terrified when I was getting ready to switch to the g5+, but it worked like a dream.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Holy poo poo, Firefox finally got double-tap + drag for zoom!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I know some people here are passionate about their alarm clocks, if anyone's alarm clock of choice is sleep as android, that's half off currently:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.sleep.full.key

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Anyone wanna recommend an RSS reader? The Feedly app runs like a dog on my tablet for some reason, and Greader is *almost* perfect except there doesen't seem to be a way to turn auto-playing youtube videos off so every page that has a youtube video on it starts playing automatically over and over again until you scroll past it. Looks like the dev on Greader abandoned it also so there's no chance on that getting fixed :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I use ttrss.

The "issue" with it is that you have to run the server yourself. If you know how to do that, the app is great.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anyone wanna recommend an RSS reader? The Feedly app runs like a dog on my tablet for some reason, and Greader is *almost* perfect except there doesen't seem to be a way to turn auto-playing youtube videos off so every page that has a youtube video on it starts playing automatically over and over again until you scroll past it. Looks like the dev on Greader abandoned it also so there's no chance on that getting fixed :(

I've been using gReader for years and think it's great.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I've moved between over the years (and still do) the Feedly app and Palabre

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

I've been using gReader for years and think it's great.

The YouTube bug is really the only thing that bothers me about it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, same here re: gReader and the YouTube bug. It's annoying when it happens, but the way I read feeds, I only trigger it when I accidentally tap on a video in a post.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I'm using a samsung galaxy tab A and I cannot set any download to go to my sd card by any means. what the gently caress should i be throwing this thing as hard as i can at a oncoming train or is there some fix here?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I really like using Palabre, it's a great looking app.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

AkumaHokoru posted:

I'm using a samsung galaxy tab A and I ... should ... be throwing this thing as hard as i can at a oncoming train

Sorry, what was the question?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

nimper posted:

How do I use Android?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Looking for an app that will let me block spam SMS.

I get a ton of spam but each message is sent from a unique number so I can't just block them with a simple blacklist.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Has anyone had issues with Pocket Casts becoming all static when playing speeds above 1x? I listen to a few podcasts at 1.5 times and the most recent update gives me nothing but static. I remember I ran into it once before about a year ago but can't remember how to fix it. I thought uninstalling and reinstalling would fix it but apparently not.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Moey posted:

How do I use Android?

He said Samsung, not android.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

calandryll posted:

Has anyone had issues with Pocket Casts becoming all static when playing speeds above 1x? I listen to a few podcasts at 1.5 times and the most recent update gives me nothing but static. I remember I ran into it once before about a year ago but can't remember how to fix it. I thought uninstalling and reinstalling would fix it but apparently not.

Nope. Never. I listen to my podcasts at various speeds of 1x up to 2.5x and never experienced that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

AlexDeGruven posted:

He said Samsung, not android.
Nova Launcher will fix that poo poo right up for you. Mostly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

calandryll posted:

What phone? Speed variation is a native feature of Android and not the app at least from Marshmallow on.

dwarf74 posted:

Nova Launcher will fix that poo poo right up for you. Mostly.

Nova Launcher won't fix a broken SD card implementation which is what the person was asking about, nor will it fix any of the other things that work in standard Android and Samsung Samsung'd up.

Nova Launcher on a Samsung is a fresh coat of paint on a mountain of dogshit.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 12, 2017

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

What phone? Speed variation is a native feature of Android and not the app at least from Marshmallow on.

Moto X Pure. I remember fixing it somehow last year but can't remember exactly how I did it. Annoying since I like the faster speeds on some of my longer podcasts.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Weird sorta automation question. I'd like my podcasting app, Pocket Casts, to wake me up at a set time every day with a couple podcasts(wotd, writer's almanac).

Pocket casts auto downloads the podcasts in question, and I own tasker, but I have no clue if tasker can do the rest?

Pocket Casts seems to store all it's audio files in a single folder with like randomized strings for filenames, it's kinda seeming like I might need some id3 tag reading plugin for tasker (if the podcasts are even tagged as such). Any ideas?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

nevermind, I'm dumb and can't read.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

nimper posted:

I found out my tablet will not be getting updates to android 6 so all the things i was going to ask about arent possible anyway.
imposing forced obsolescence on a device should be a punishable offence by firing squad.

basically i have a samsung galaxy tab A6 that i cant upgrade to run android 6 so the updates to android/default apps are drowning my tablet and it wont let me set it to download things to the sd card.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Samsung'd again

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

No, wait, actually, after reading that, and a bit more, I do have a question. I'm basically looking for an app kinda like 500 Firepaper, that'll cycle through a list of backgrounds, but I want one that'll pull from a gallery that I set up. Either on SD card or via Google or whatever would be preferred, but I'll live with whatever. Basically, I just want it like my desktop, where I set a folder of backgrounds somewhere and let it go do its thing. Any recommendations for setting that up? It seems like 500 Firepaper should be able to do that, but they keep talking about how you can't save any wallpapers due to some ToS with 500px?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AkumaHokoru posted:

I found out my tablet will not be getting updates to android 6 so all the things i was going to ask about arent possible anyway.
imposing forced obsolescence on a device should be a punishable offence by firing squad.

basically i have a samsung galaxy tab A6 that i cant upgrade to run android 6 so the updates to android/default apps are drowning my tablet and it wont let me set it to download things to the sd card.

I'm hesitant about it being "forced" obsolescence and thinking its just as likely "obsolescence through incompetence".

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AkumaHokoru posted:

samsung galaxy tab A6

What is the actual model number of this? SM-T580?

What country are you in?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Moey posted:

What is the actual model number of this? SM-T580?

What country are you in?

u.s. MS-T280

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I'm hesitant about it being "forced" obsolescence and thinking its just as likely "obsolescence through incompetence".

samsung said they would update then updated every model above a certain one

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Incompetence on the part of whom tho

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

AkumaHokoru posted:

samsung said they would update then updated every model above a certain one

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. How does this information help you discriminate between my two presented explanations?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. How does this information help you discriminate between my two presented explanations?

because it isnt incompetence when its intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
You already figured out the solution to the problem though. Throw the tablet as hard as you can at an oncoming train.

please take video too