Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't like the Advance games at all but Sonic 4 was uglier, less creative, and had worse music. It isn't in the top 5 worst Sonic games (separate or combined) but that is because the top 5 worst sonic games is a truly dire list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Boom, Secret Rings, Sonic 06, Black Knight, Sonic 4 Episode 1

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It was absolutely, very much worse than the Advance games and if you played all of them and honestly believe that then I dunno what to tell you.

I didn't like any of them, so there's that. They're not good games and Dimps is not a good game studio.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pigbuster posted:

If you play it on the Switch you won't be able to show all your Steam friends you're playing Sonic Mania

That's one thing I kinda hate about Steam. I don't want people to see that I put 80 hours into Binding of Isaac and such.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SeANMcBAY posted:

That's one thing I kinda hate about Steam. I don't want people to see that I put 80 hours into Binding of Isaac and such.

a friend of mine goes Offline on steam every time he boots up Fallout 4 because a bunch of us used to harass him for playing it so much

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

At the bar the other night a friend told me he saw I'd put 35 hours into Splatoon. :eyepop: I had no idea.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How easy or difficult is it to add DRM? Whether Whitehead was talking about something else or not, it seems kind of weird that people think they could add that in just two weeks.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I just found out Crush 40's gonna be at the PSO2 event I'm heading to tomorrow! I'm excited as hell.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I just found out Crush 40's gonna be at the PSO2 event I'm heading to tomorrow! I'm excited as hell.

Record that poo poo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

wuggles posted:

At the bar the other night a friend told me he saw I'd put 35 hours into Splatoon. :eyepop: I had no idea.

I hate that too on my Switch. I don't want to know how many hours I waste of my life on games. It's depressing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Ask Jun what happened with Sonic 4's soundtrack.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

Record that poo poo

Actually, looking at Jun's twitter account I think the post I read might have been wrong. Jun is playing guitar there as part of a "Sega Sound Team Mini-Concert" so he might just be doing other Sega tracks.
I'll still record it if I'm there at the right time of course.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ImpAtom posted:

I don't like the Advance games at all but Sonic 4 was uglier, less creative, and had worse music. It isn't in the top 5 worst Sonic games (separate or combined) but that is because the top 5 worst sonic games is a truly dire list.

:shrug:
They're not my favorites, but I like their soundtracks(SA3 expecially). DIMPs always seemed to have a decent composer in desperate need of a better soundchip/speaker before they hit the 3ds and could just start putting in mp3s of the console version's soundtrack.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kurieg posted:

They're not my favorites, but I like their soundtracks(SA3 expecially). DIMPs always seemed to have a decent composer in desperate need of a better soundchip/speaker before they hit the 3ds and could just start putting in mp3s of the console version's soundtrack.
DIMPS only did the coding, art(?) and level design, the rest of the stuff is all Sega. The sound team is the same as usual. Most of the people who composed the songs for the Advance series worked on the main games as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurieg posted:

I meant Sonic 4 had worse music.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I already got a pretty decent spoiler for Mania in my face thanks to Youtube's recommended videos "feature" so I guess that's cool!!

Am I going to have to stay away from the internet just because I don't want the remaining zones/features/bosses spoiled for a few more days? God drat it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I didn't like any of them, so there's that. They're not good games and Dimps is not a good game studio.

I more or less agree but Advance 1 is more or less fine, if a little bland. It doesn't suffer the bullshit "trick or die" death pits 2 has, nor is it a giant mess like 3 was.

The special stages / emerald collection of Adv1 is criminally bad though.

TFRazorsaw posted:

How easy or difficult is it to add DRM? Whether Whitehead was talking about something else or not, it seems kind of weird that people think they could add that in just two weeks.

I have no idea why people think they'd do a last minute delay for DRM. If it's got any, they likely would have planned it from the start, I can't see why the switch version being downloadable via code early would prompt that move.

Does the Sonic CD re-release have any DRM?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DizzyBum posted:

I already got a pretty decent spoiler for Mania in my face thanks to Youtube's recommended videos "feature" so I guess that's cool!!

Am I going to have to stay away from the internet just because I don't want the remaining zones/features/bosses spoiled for a few more days? God drat it.

I am VERY paranoid about YouTube right now for that exact same reason.

I've never tried so hard to avoid spoilers before. It's never been that big a deal to me until today. :ohdear:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol, good thing I got the game on PS4 :smug:

TFRazorsaw posted:

Again, it's not like Taxman was scouted for the job. He took his Retro Engine stuff, set his fan game stuff aside, and campaigned for it like everyone else. Sonic Mania was a thing that was pitched like any other game and he had a chance to fill its staff with his colleagues once it was greenlit. Sega didn't seek out a fan game designer, he just put the work in to get a job like everyone else.

Also I don't really think any of the Nintendo games that were DMCA'ed are really "professional quality" or near the level Sonic's fan game scene has gotten. Pokemon Uranium is straight up BAD, and while AM2R comes close to an official product's level of ambition, it has some serious balance and difficulty problems.

I dont think the balance in AM2R is that bad. The only spots that seem rough are some late-game sections that didn't get to be updated and polished at all before development ended.
By the way, the dev of AM2R got scouted to be a level designer on Ori 2, which is pretty cool.

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 11, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

The special stages / emerald collection of Adv1 is criminally bad though.

Even more baffling is that the Triple Trouble special stages had functionally the same mechanics, years before and on a significantly worse console, and were far easier to collect rings in.

In Advance, all they had to do was increase the hitbox on the rings and it would have been fine. But they didn't.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have the next couple weeks booked loving solid so I'm a little relieved that I'll have time to play it, but goddamn avoiding spoilers has already been a losing battle. It's like VPNing to New Zealand to save a few hours isn't even worth it any more. I wonder if there was some glaring problem like Steamcloud eating saves for normal users.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The biggest problem with the Sonic Advance games is that their soundtrack was confined to the lovely GBA speakers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2WRzIuXXhk

oh also the screen size was way too small for the big levels

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, the Advance games were flawed, but kinda ambitious.

Sonic 4 has no ambitions.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Sega's patching the game to require a hardware dongle.

Updated system requirements: one parallel port.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I went to change the special edition order I had for the ps4 over to the switch but according to gamestop "dude sorry, we only got a single switch allocation and the dude who got it showed up early decked in a sonic shirt and everything."

So stuck with the ps4 one. Ah well.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

:drat:

Evil Eagle posted:

Boom, Secret Rings, Sonic 06, Black Knight, Sonic 4 Episode 1

Secret Rings and Black Knight are not nearly as bad as Sonic Chronicles. Like not even close.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Without going into specifics, it usually shouldn't be TOO long if that was the only thing. But there are other factors to be considered, like what type they'd use (where some bad ones can end up affecting the game itself). Or if the DRM might need some re-cert process from Sega/Steam, which I don't know if they'd need or how long they'd take.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I went to change the special edition order I had for the ps4 over to the switch but according to gamestop "dude sorry, we only got a single switch allocation and the dude who got it showed up early decked in a sonic shirt and everything."

So stuck with the ps4 one. Ah well.

Note that the Sonic shirt thing doesn't work just for this one game. It's standard GameStop policy that Sonic-shirt-wearers have dibs on anything in the store.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ventana posted:

:drat:
Secret Rings and Black Knight are not nearly as bad as Sonic Chronicles. Like not even close.

I'm talking platformers of course. chronicles isnt even worth mentioning

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

3 DAYS TO GO

unless you're on steam in which case lol

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pigbuster posted:

Note that the Sonic shirt thing doesn't work just for this one game. It's standard GameStop policy that Sonic-shirt-wearers have dibs on anything in the store.

Here I thought Sonic Man himself beat me to it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm talking platformers of course. chronicles isnt even worth mentioning
I guess that makes sense, though I still feel like Boom is something so different enough I wouldn't put it up there with the main games. Same for Black Knight since those levels are at best 10% platforming and 70% awkward attacking dudes in your way.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Something I noticed in the intro: sonic gets 10 points when he hits the star bumpers

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given the late date, I'd lay decent odds that one of the reviewers they shipped preview codes out to couldn't run it.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I appreciate that the intro video world has an extremely 90's vibe to it, with all of those zigzag lines and random shapes floating around, as well as the color scheme.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Tamayachi posted:

I appreciate that the intro video world has an extremely 90's vibe to it, with all of those zigzag lines and random shapes floating around, as well as the color scheme.

it's going for the style of the japanese box art and it's very good

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

quote:

Don't just sit there and
waste your precious time.
When you want to do something,
do it right away. Do it when you can.
It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

whoa thats super deep

i was thinking of staying at home and eating corn chips today but i think ill go for a walk

thanks sonic

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well, I can't resist spoilers because I'm that kinda guy who always looks at the last page of a book and I watched the stream. The game looks really, really good, even with a terrible player.

I am not going to go into details and spoil it, even with spoiler tags. That said, the game is very, very clever in regards to stage gimmicks and bosses. It is filled with fan service, but there's also plenty of things I've never seen done before, and unique twists of old things.

Is it better than Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Ehh, I dunno about that. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is like the best game ever made in my book. But this one is probably better than every other Sonic game ever made. I think it might knock Sonic 2\CD outta second place.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that some of you seem kind of down and worried about it what with the delay and all. Well, don't worry about it. The game is good. I don't think that's a spoiler, because you all knew the game was going to be good.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

That shadow of Sonic's nose is really bugging me.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

it's going for the style of the japanese box art and it's very good

i noticed this immediately and started smiling real hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I watched the opening again.

Still hype.:allears: