Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kale
May 14, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

Can you elucidate what you feel is the definition of "identity politics"?

People flinging poo poo and trolling each other on twitter and reacting to various interest forums 24/7 is the modern definition of identity politics to me, not to be confused with actual civil rights movement that have occurred in the past.

Also hey this thread was going plenty fine a week ago so don't look at me, that's just what again happens when you introduce this poo poo to any ongoing topic. If it wasn't me calling the whole thing stupid it'd be somebody else getting the indignation at some point basically cause that's the end goal as I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Do you think the fight for civil rights ended in the 60's or something? Like have you not been exposed to any civil rights topic since Jim Crow? And are you blaming twitter for ruining discourse, when we are not on twitter?

in a post twitter society the ability of people to complain about institutional racism and sexism on the internet is greatly enhanced and this is a bad thing since it personally makes it more difficult to curate the limits of my perception to only those things which are relevant to me

Kale posted:

Also hey this thread was going plenty fine a week ago so don't look at me, that's just what again happens when you introduce this poo poo to any ongoing topic. If it wasn't me calling the whole thing stupid it'd be somebody else getting the indignation at some point basically cause that's the end goal as I see it.

"if it wasn't me throwing a hissy fit about identity politics somebody else would, this is just a natural consequence of SJW corruption of history's greatest video game chatline so really i'm blameless here if you think about it"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

tumblr is really important if u want to look at really good pictures of seashells and foxes

I like the gifs. :3:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

boner confessor posted:

in a post twitter society the ability of people to complain about institutional racism and sexism on the internet is greatly enhanced and this is a bad thing since it personally makes it more difficult to curate the limits of my perception to only those things which are relevant to me

It's like the internet equivalent of complaining about homeless people and how they exist I think.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

qmark posted:

Oh, thank god.

I mean, the guy in the Google memo kept repeating this too. If he said it so many times, it must be true.

Seriously, though, we've got "virtue signalling", "identity politics", "I support civil rights but", and gamergate. Who's got an internet neofascist bingo card handy?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, the guy in the Google memo kept repeating this too. If he said it so many times, it must be true.

Seriously, though, we've got "virtue signalling", "identity politics", "I support civil rights but", and gamergate. Who's got an internet neofascist bingo card handy?

Oh god did it actually bring up gamergate.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

If he invokes MLK, or Bernie I have a Bingo!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Kale posted:

probably somewhere stupid as I predicted because it always does when you inject identity politics into a discussion
You're the guy who's constantly sniping at millenials, right?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This isn't directed to anyone here; I'm speaking generally: something is bankrupt about society when someone says or does something racist/sexist, gets fired for it, and sparks a long debate about whether it was right that they received blowback. I appreciate the fact that we want to protect the ability of people to speak their mind, even when it's not something we agree with. But the First Amendment never said that you have the freedom to not suffer consequences for what they say. That's what people like the Google guy don't seem to appreciate or understand. Google and CNN are private companies that are well within their rights not to put up with that bullshit from their employees (or, in Lord's case, on-air pundits).

Google lures tech talent with the promise of "the best work environment evar", which includes being an environment where everyone has a say on everything. "As long as your arguments are sound, you will be listened to. No one will brush your opinion away because you have not established yourself as an authority. Facts are values above all else, etc...". Firing someone for expressing their opinions can be seen as Google pulling a bait-and-swith on their employees.

It doesn't matter, because Goolag guy was being an intellectually dishonest rear end in a top hat for the sake of bigotry. But, on paper, if he was being honest, respectfull, and data-driven in his approach, he should have been able to express his "controversial" opinion safely, according to the company culture as promised by management.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 11, 2017

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Kale posted:

People flinging poo poo and trolling each other on twitter and reacting to various interest forums 24/7 is the modern definition of identity politics to me, not to be confused with actual civil rights movement that have occurred in the past.

No, last week was food chat. This week it's you whining about how threads only go sideways when people discuss identity politics without offering a solution. You're also not offering a solution except 'stop discussing'. Go away or tell us a recipe.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/896102628534272002

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kale posted:

Oh great this thread is obsessing over loving identity politics too, literally the most tortuous and inconclusive conversation and poo poo fit to come out of the internet in the past 3 year. Personally I'm more concerned about the crazy man in the White House this thread is about than whether millennials feel a given gender or minority is being championed or oppressed enough in the United States or not.

Hey guys. Check out this edge lord. This is an edgy post, boy howdy. Man, this poster really is above it all! :jerkbag:

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

Have you considered that perhaps it is you who is poo poo at communicating, and that this is why people react poorly to your angry, incoherent blather about a sensitive topic?

Kale, you should print out this post and then take a break from the internet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Koalas March posted:

I like the gifs. :3:

you don't say

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Koalas March posted:

If he invokes MLK, or Bernie I have a Bingo!

I feel like "MLK said to judge people by the content of their character not their skin color :smug:" should just be a free space

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hollismason posted:

Apparently it is. I read some article somewhere that Nixon employed this as a way to bring N Vietnam to the table or something.
Not the same thing at all.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

This is the thing. For all his bluster, I don't think Trump has the attention span to actually push for and prepare the country for a war, and the people under him aren't doing the work for him, at least for now. I'll start getting more worried if that changes.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Aramis posted:

Google lures tech talent with the promise of "the best work environment evar", which includes being an environment where everyone has a say on everything. "As long as your arguments are sound, you will be listened to. No one will brush your opinion away because you have not established yourself as an authority. Facts are values above all else, etc...". Firing someone for expressing their opinions can be seen as Google pulling a bait-and-swith on their employees.

This is all bullcrap, because Goolag guy was being an intellectually dishonest rear end in a top hat for the sake of bigotry. But, on paper, if he was being honest, respectfull, and data-driven in his approach, he should have been able to express his "controversial" opinion safely.

Its not a university. I might be willing to agree if we establish that Google promised some kind of tenure system that allows you to express controversial, perhaps even offensive opinions without fear of termination. Thats weird for a private tech company to promise, but if they did, fine.

I really doubt they did.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

You can't paint a target on your chest, then walk into an archer convention and get pissed off when you get hit with an arrow. Dude, you came into this thread saying "this thread sucks talk about Trump!"

Kale posted:

Oh great this thread is obsessing over loving identity politics too, literally the most tortuous and inconclusive conversation and poo poo fit to come out of the internet in the past 3 year. Personally I'm more concerned about the crazy man in the White House this thread is about than whether millennials feel a given gender or minority is being championed or oppressed enough in the United States or not.

And you're put off when the thread reacts negatively?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aramis posted:

It doesn't matter, because Goolag guy was being an intellectually dishonest rear end in a top hat for the sake of bigotry. But, on paper, if he was being honest, respectfull, and data-driven in his approach, he should have been able to express his "controversial" opinion safely, according to the company culture as promised by management.

i agree that if his argument was different and the way he expressed that argument was less hostile to his coworkers he wouldn't have been fired, yes

aware of dog posted:

I feel like "MLK said to judge people by the content of their character not their skin color :smug:" should just be a free space

really just "MLK said..."

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you don't say

Do you sit and ponder jokes the way ICP ponders about magnets?

Kale
May 14, 2010

KickerOfMice posted:

You can't paint a target on your chest, then walk into an archer convention and get pissed off when you get hit with an arrow. Dude, you came into this thread saying "this thread sucks talk about Trump!"

More like unsurprised it went to hot garbage the moment identity politics chatter was introduced.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Kale posted:

I support civil rights

whoa, looks like we got some virtue signalling here boys

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/896093338683580416

Oh good so NK won't even have to take any actions juat make threats
Treating nuclear armed foreign leaders like Kathy Griffin is no way to go through life, son

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kale posted:

More like unsurprised it went to hot garbage the moment identity politics chatter was introduced.

i mean it didn't go till hot garbage until your whining about identity politics chatter was introduced but you seem to have a tremendous blind spot about your own responsibility in why every discussion on the internet you seem to be involved in, by your own words, bores you

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kale posted:

Let's see where this goes now, probably somewhere stupid as I predicted because it always does when you inject identity politics into a discussion

*takes a huge poo poo on the table* God, look at how terrible the food is at this potluck. Every loving time I come to this place, it's just the worst, people on both sides of the table just end up staring at a weird shitpile instead of eating. *unleashing another turd* I suppose now people are just going to keep on doing it, because this happens every time we host a potluck.

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

KickerOfMice posted:

Not to mention that you can't even talk about Trump without talking about "identity politics". Entitled white men not having automatic access to whatever they want is arguably the reason why Trump is currently in a position to start a nuclear war. Damore is related.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Aramis posted:

This is all bullcrap, because Goolag guy was being an intellectually dishonest rear end in a top hat for the sake of bigotry. But, on paper, if he was being honest, respectfull, and data-driven in his approach, he should have been able to express his "controversial" opinion safely.

It would be a much worse violation of promising the best work environment to keep around a guy who says you shouldn't be allowed to have your job because of your gender.

Also, there is no respectful way to be a misogynist.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Kale posted:

Also hey this thread was going plenty fine a week ago

I don't think this thread has ever been going plenty fine.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

HappyHippo posted:

This is the thing. For all his bluster, I don't think Trump has the attention span to actually push for and prepare the country for a war, and the people under him aren't doing the work for him, at least for now. I'll start getting more worried if that changes.

Remember also that the Kim regime has no reason to start poo poo. Jong-Un is 33, a billionaire with his own pet country and has been ruthlessly executing anyone that looks at him crossways. If we all die because of this it will because of petulant idiots frotting so hard their JO crystals explode.

I think I lost the metaphor in there.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

*takes a huge poo poo on the table* God, look at how terrible the food is at this potluck. Every loving time I come to this place, it's just the worst, people on both sides of the table just end up staring at a weird shitpile instead of eating. *unleashing another turd* I suppose now people are just going to keep on doing it, because this happens every time we host a potluck.

Or you know it's just the natural result of a dead end topic

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kale posted:

the only dead end topic here is your personal media preferences for what you do and do not like to read about, kemosabe

i'm sure we'll hear all about it though regardless

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Speaking of MLK, should we bring up his views on the White Moderate?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Reminder most of the military is high on marijuana and meth in N Korea maybe here too but definitely in N Korea

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

HappyHippo posted:

This poo poo he's saying is exactly like his transgender military ban or the opioid emergency, I honestly think that he believes he can just proclaim these things out loud in public and that constitutes an order.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kale posted:

counterpoint: there's been some moderately interesting and somewhat productive discussion about women in tech, what constitutes a good workplace environment, and broader questions of gender in society and the labor force

you know what isn't contributing to productive discussion?

your posting

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HappyHippo posted:

That doesn't make a war not happen, that makes us stumble into a war we weren't ready for then have the dumb president wander off before it's done

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kale, you literally think the internet has been ruined by people who want to discuss how their identities have mistreated in media, politics, or anywhere else, when your sole expressed opinion is "Perhaps both sides are wrong???" followed by a collection of insufferable buzzwords like "millennials!!" and "virtue signaling." Plus you appeared to get angry that someone made fun of "gamers," so people are going to clown on you for awhile now and, guess what, they're right and you look like a goofus whose pants fell down around his ankles while he was slipping on a banana peel.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

You suck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

He's going to bend the knee again. like tonight probably.

• Locked thread