Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
We restrict access to the All Users distribution list for good reason. Today we sent out a mail on behalf of X, which said very clearly to contact X with any problems or questions. I've received several emails so far from people I'd previously regarded positively asking me questions about this. I am irate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

pixaal posted:

Crabby old hag who calls customers that are late in payment to get them to collect. She is never happy and always the most miserable person to interact with. She insists on stopping by my office whenever she goes to the bathroom (so 2-3 times a day).

:byodame: What's the grey circle?
:) where is there a grey circle?
:byodame: in the user list!
:) which user list?
:byodame: The directory!
:) what directory?
:) The one on the phone?
:byodame: What other directory would I be talking about!
:) It's custom!
:byodame: What's custom?
:) Whatever they set it to
:byodame: but what does it mean?
:) Ask the person, they can make it do anything
:byodame: That's not helpful, thanks for nothing.

Well gently caress you too!

That list bit is what gets me, she loves ending with that poo poo, and I have no idea how she holds a job because I've heard her end poo poo with that to the CEO, CFO, and HR, they are aware and usually just roll their eyes. I assume it's because she actually gets people to pay up. She also loves to go on long rants about nothing and end with with "Just thought you should know!" and is something benign like the a random website had a 404 but refreshing it resolved the problem, of course she will tell you everything she did up to that point and take 40 minutes to get to the point.

I picture this through that whole conversation.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This sort of sounds great to me. My days can get full with the same old poo poo so often; it can get pretty tedious. If you're newer at the role/company though, I could understand it feeling a little overwhelming while you play catch up.

That's the thing, I've been here 4 years! It's fun but also frustrating since I don't have the time to dedicate to getting this fix, meanwhile the user needs their poo poo back.

Also poo poo that's pissing me off: Windows. It's so fragile, software and even its own updates can make it not boot.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skooma512 posted:

That's the thing, I've been here 4 years! It's fun but also frustrating since I don't have the time to dedicate to getting this fix, meanwhile the user needs their poo poo back.

Also poo poo that's pissing me off: Windows. It's so fragile, software and even its own updates can make it not boot.

Counterpoint: A fresh load of windows with no applications or drivers is stable as gently caress. It's when you start adding extra poo poo that you start to have problems. Windows is such a large ecosystem with so many parts that interact with applications and hardware that the core team has no control of that I am constantly surprised that things work as well as they do.

Seriously, the only other desktop OS competitor doesn't allow third party hardware because they know third party drivers are poo poo

Yet Windows manages to run reasonably the same on millions of different hardware configurations, and run software from 1989 side by side with software from 2017.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also I think I've dealt with more MacBooks that have seemingly been hosed by an OS update than I have Windows machines with the same issue.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Yeah in Windows land it's the Office updates you need to watch out for.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

We restrict access to the All Users distribution list for good reason. Today we sent out a mail on behalf of X, which said very clearly to contact X with any problems or questions. I've received several emails so far from people I'd previously regarded positively asking me questions about this. I am irate.

You kind of deserve this though for not sending the message out from a non-monitored service account and BCC'ing All-staff@company.com.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yeah in Windows land it's the Office updates you need to watch out for.

This. This so loving much.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SeaborneClink posted:

You kind of deserve this though for not sending the message out from a non-monitored service account and BCC'ing All-staff@company.com.

You know what, I think that would be a good idea to get set up. I'm going to float it at tomorrow's check in. poo poo, I could have that ready to go in under 20 minutes! I think. I've never actually done it before.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You know what, I think that would be a good idea to get set up. I'm going to float it at tomorrow's check in. poo poo, I could have that ready to go in under 20 minutes! I think. I've never actually done it before.

Honestly I wouldn't even ask before doing this. I would just do it and nobody would notice except my coworkers who would be like "Nice. That was a good idea."

fake edit: This will obviously not fly everywhere.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I did that here and received a wave of replies back saying "Is this for me?" because they didn't see their name in the To: field.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

SeaborneClink posted:

Agreed. The four most important headers of such an email are:

To: [blank]
BCC: everone@whatever
Reply-to: X@whatever

The number of "sysadmins" I've met who had no idea about the reply-to header is greater than zero, which is loving depressing...

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

DigitalRaven posted:

Agreed. The four most important headers of such an email are:

To: [blank]
BCC: everone@whatever
Reply-to: X@whatever

The number of "sysadmins" I've met who had no idea about the reply-to header is greater than zero, which is loving depressing...

Urgh. Yep the Reply-To header works even better than using Send-As.

Dick Trauma posted:

I did that here and received a wave of replies back saying "Is this for me?" because they didn't see their name in the To: field.

Again, that you were even able to receive emails to your personal mailbox means you dun goofed.

All of these things make me so happy I no longer deal with Exchange. I actually really liked administrating Exchange, it was the administrating the users that get information FROM Exchange that was the problem.

poo poo pissing me off? We got acquired. We had a mandatory offsite all-hands at a small banquet/event venue at 9am. I walked in, there are no chairs to sit in, and some carafes of water.

9am mandatory off site meeting that you paid how many 10's of thousands of dollars to rent a venue, and you couldn't even provide coffee at a minimum, to say nothing of a bagel or muffin and then made us all stand for an hour and a half?

Not a good first impression.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

SeaborneClink posted:

Urgh. Yep the Reply-To header works even better than using Send-As.

Wasn't meant as a dig at you; at my last job I was the only person in a team of 10 people who knew about it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My coworker has spent the last week unable to connect to any wifi networks from his laptop. He finally called tech support and they were unable to diagnose the issue and sent him to speak to the local helpdesk. Before he set off I identified the issue. Can anyone guess what it was?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
10 bucks on: laptop had a physical switch to turn wifi on. It was switched off and nobody noticed it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sefal posted:

10 bucks on: laptop had a physical switch to turn wifi on. It was switched off and nobody noticed it.

I will bet $1,000 bucks and my left testicle.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yup. Because it's an HP Elitebook it's light up button above the keyboard and it was glowing red. He, of course, has never touched it and it did it by itself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

spog posted:

I will bet $1,000 bucks and my left testicle.

Does that mean you get an extra testicle if you win?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Well, now he has 2!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thanks Ants posted:

You know, you have genuinely given me pause for thought about this.

I've used this phrase for many years and never considered what would happen if I actually won.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I guess it depends on what the going rate is for a testicle.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Fil5000 posted:

I guess it depends on what the going rate is for a testicle.

$27,678 is the average going rate for a testicle.

http://gawker.com/how-much-are-your-balls-worth-a-state-by-state-guide-1689606167

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

That's a spicy meatball!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Fil5000 posted:

Yup. Because it's an HP Elitebook it's light up button above the keyboard and it was glowing red. He, of course, has never touched it and it did it by itself.

Do Elitebooks have the little double tap dot on the touchpad like Probooks do? They're fun

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Wifi can be weird.

Was having random WiFi issues at one branch location for a few weeks. But strangely the issue only affected a corner of the building. Any device in that area would occasionally get knocked off the network for a few seconds 1-3 times a day. After a ton of trouble shooting with wifi analyzers, pinging, etc.. I finally spotted a pattern; it only happened when one particular sales guy was working.

Finally traced it down to his laptop. For whatever reason within a few minutes of turning the laptop on and connecting to the network, it would cause any device within a few tens of feet to be knocked off the network. It happened every time he woke the laptop up. Disabling the built in wifi card made the problem go away.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Super Slash posted:

Do Elitebooks have the little double tap dot on the touchpad like Probooks do? They're fun

They do ! You can physically disable lots of things !

On the G1s and G2s it's 20+ screws just to get at the trackpad/smartcard reader if one of them fails !

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Super Slash posted:

Oh THATS what that does!

mewse
May 2, 2006

That reminds me my touchpad stopped working with or without that LED, probably a warranty claim

e: ~driver problam~

mewse fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 11, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stevewm posted:

Wifi can be weird.

Was having random WiFi issues at one branch location for a few weeks. But strangely the issue only affected a corner of the building. Any device in that area would occasionally get knocked off the network for a few seconds 1-3 times a day. After a ton of trouble shooting with wifi analyzers, pinging, etc.. I finally spotted a pattern; it only happened when one particular sales guy was working.

Finally traced it down to his laptop. For whatever reason within a few minutes of turning the laptop on and connecting to the network, it would cause any device within a few tens of feet to be knocked off the network. It happened every time he woke the laptop up. Disabling the built in wifi card made the problem go away.

I mean it's not really worth a deep dive, but it sounds like he wasn't following CTR/CTS protocol and just outshouting everyone. Basically, he was hogging the duty cycle. That's usually down to a driver (not likely if it's a common model among everyone) or a hardware defect that fails in interesting ways.

That would drive me crazy too, depending on the tools available to investigate.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

I mean it's not really worth a deep dive, but it sounds like he wasn't following CTR/CTS protocol and just outshouting everyone. Basically, he was hogging the duty cycle. That's usually down to a driver (not likely if it's a common model among everyone) or a hardware defect that fails in interesting ways.

That would drive me crazy too, depending on the tools available to investigate.

I thought it was a driver too... Tried about 5 different driver versions from 2001 up to 2016 (old Dell branded wireless card). Given that it just suddenly started with no change in software leads me to believe the card was just failing. I tried to slap in another Intel mini PCIe card I had laying around, only to find out Dell uses Wifi card whitelists in their laptops. (common among laptop vendors).

The laptop is due for replacement anyways, so I gave him a USB wifi dongle temporarily, which works without issues.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Something that I was heavily involved with at work for a few weeks that was then taken off me a couple of months ago and I've had no input on since is getting royally hosed up by people who don't know what they are doing. I'm seeing the conversations fly past but I'm not being asked for input or being consulted in any other way. The best part about this is that I have now learnt to be completely at-ease with it - all the CYA material was meticulously gathered back when it was my problem, and I am in a state of Peter-in-Office-Space zen about the whole thing. I'm curious to see how things are going to go wrong, but I am not in any way worried or feeling any pressure because of it. This time a year ago it would have really gotten me worked up, so I am taking this as a win.

Being able to not care about something that isn't your problem is a really good skill/trait to acquire, and I recommend it to everybody.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thanks Ants posted:

Being able to not care about something that isn't your problem is a really good skill/trait to acquire, and I recommend it to everybody.

I like to think that working on this is what's gotten me through another week. Another week without any overt attempts by management to humiliate me, had my first therapy visit, updated my online job search stuff... a good week overall.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sounds like a good week for Dick Trauma

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
I don't know if this helps anyone, but 12 to 13 years ago I had a shift in thinking that I keep with me today.

It boils down to 3 things:

1) I'm loving good at what I do.
2) I'm in demand and will stay in demand.
3) I'm a loving adult, if you don't treat me like one, gently caress you.

I don't have much of a filter with people, and these days I have less of a loving filter than I ever did before. I was never more miserable in my life as I was when I was worried about doing something that would piss someone off and have it cost me my job. Now? gently caress them, if they fire me because I'm being direct and honest (and not being an rear end in a top hat) then they don't deserve my time, I'll find a place that does.

I read so many posts in this thread especially that I just can't loving imagine allowing situations to get to where you men and women put up with.

Those 3 things apply to everyone in this thread pretty much.

gently caress anyone who doesn't treat you with the respect you deserve.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

DigitalMocking posted:

2) I'm in demand and will stay in demand.

This point right here is probably the most important to drive down the fear of what will happen if one gets laid off. When AI will take over, creative jobs will be the last ones to go. And by that time, humanity will have figured out what to do in the new world order.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
poo poo that pisses me off: New Hire tasks that come in at 2:30pm on a Friday for an employee starting monday.

gently caress offfffffffffffff

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Iron Rose posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: New Hire tasks that come in at 2:30pm on a Friday for an employee starting monday.

right click, mark unread

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

The Iron Rose posted:

"No."

Seriously. We require 5 business days now. Our new Helpdesk Manager takes zero poo poo about that policy he has in place and it's been so good for our helpdesk guys.

They'll still get the new user up by Tuesday or Wednesday, but no one stays late or starts scrambling at 4pm on a Friday any more. gently caress that nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
"Due to the short notice of this request, I cannot guarantee a system will be ready for Frank McDickhead upon his arrival. We'll try our best."

aka lol I ain't doing poo poo, gently caress you, get your requests in on time.

...I mean I'm still encrypting and setting up their laptops because I'm a big softie and their requirements are Office and nothing else. I'm sure I'll be cured of that generosity soon enough.