Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Speaking of MLK, should we bring up his views on the White Moderate?

Only always.

Martin Luther King Jr posted:

First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

counterpoint: there's been some moderately interesting and somewhat productive discussion about women in tech, what constitutes a good workplace environment, and broader questions of gender in society and the labor force

you know what isn't contributing to productive discussion?

your posting

I expect that'll change once we're hopefully back on a topic that isn't trash

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

RiggenBlaque posted:

This poo poo he's saying is exactly like his transgender military ban or the opioid emergency, I honestly think that he believes he can just proclaim these things out loud in public and that constitutes an order.

Where's that pic of Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Kale posted:

I agree that when you stop posting the thread will get better.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thats what worries me the most honestly. nk does the missle test with variables and trump declares war on twitter or just goes on tv and says it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I agree that when you stop posting the thread will get better.

Sure you think that. I'm sure nothing personal will happen in the future and this very awful thread detour gets dragged up at some unfitting time in the future too cause that's usually how this poo poo works.

As for the topic that actually does matter right now, I'm assuming that China will try and fail to be the adult in the room cause Trump needs his distraction in a conflict right now. Thing is even if he had high approval ratings he'd proably be doing the same poo poo for the spectacle of it cause he doesn't know any other way. Measured just isn't in his playbook

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 11, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trash!!! Garbage!!! Those people who were offended by some guy saying that they didn't deserve to work in his industry because of their gender have loving made it impossible for me to read about Mass Effect characters' jahoobies in peace! If only things were more like the 1960s!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kale posted:

More like unsurprised it went to hot garbage the moment identity politics chatter was introduced.

*sputters* P-people disagree with me?! This is whats wrong with the internet at large!

*writes literally pages and pages of text about this outrage*

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
To be honest, I don't even think a complete lack of military preparedness says anything about whether or not Trump is thinking of going to war because I don't think he knows you have to prepare.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

Trash!!! Garbage!!! Those people who were offended by some guy saying that they didn't deserve to work in his industry because of their gender have loving made it impossible for me to read about Mass Effect characters' jahoobies in peace! If only things were more like the 1960s!

ugh the 1960's were the loving worst for identity politics, you had all these people out on the streets being all "stop shooting me" this and "the system is discriminatory" that. maybe if they just stopped complaining and started acting more white it wouldn't be such a circular, go-nowhere argument all the time

you know this wouldn't even be a problem if everyone adopted the best identity, which is mine, and agree that everything i like is good and everything i dont like is bad. it's just so simple to me, i dont know why i'm the first to think of it. maybe everyone else is stupid. yeah that's probably it

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Kale posted:

Sure you think that.

I sure do.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/896111381732139008

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/896112194135379968

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Does anybody have a gif of the scene from Green Hornet when he receives the email and the bad guy says "thanks for blowing up the meth lab I was planning on closing it anyway"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 11, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
When the Trump administration's agenda is "white supremacy, only with more words to hide it" I don't think it's prudent to stop talking about social justice issues.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

boner confessor posted:

ugh the 1960's were the loving worst for identity politics, you had all these people out on the streets being all "stop shooting me" this and "the system is discriminatory" that. maybe if they just stopped complaining and started acting more white it wouldn't be such a circular, go-nowhere argument all the time

Why can't people move on from disagreeing with me and never discuss it again in my presence?!?!

*continues to write literally pages worth of words about this topic, repeatedly posting to keep the conversation going with no awareness*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

*sputters* P-people disagree with me?! This is whats wrong with the internet at large!

*writes literally pages and pages of text about this outrage*

All thousand pages are "All discussion on this is garbage trash by millenials. By the way, I support important things and important discussions, like Civil Rights, but only the context of the 1960s, and video games."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
To contribute content and tie in 'identity politics' to the official thread topic in hopes that it will annoy Kale and make him whine some more, the two big teachers' unions in the country have become somewhat more vocal about school desegregation etc in the Age of Trump:

Under Trump, Liberals Rediscover School Segregation

quote:

But it was Weingarten’s remarks about choice and segregation that ultimately drew the most fire: She highlighted politicians who had used school choice as a way to resist integration following Brown v. Board of Education; she argued that the use of private school vouchers increases racial and economic segregation; and she emphasized that privatization, “coupled with disinvestment, are only slightly more polite cousins of segregation.”

Her speech came on the heels of a new Center for American Progress report, entitled “The Racist Origins of Private School Vouchers,” which presented similar historical arguments. CAP and the AFT—liberal institutions that sparred over education reform during the Obama years—held a joint event on the report the week before, emphasizing that voucher programs generally benefit the most advantaged students, lead to increasingly economically segregated schools, and divert needed resources from public education. With Trump in the White House, teachers unions and the influential liberal think tank have apparently found some common ground.

quote:

Kale is right, let's get back on topic:

Man, Trump sure hates black people, latin@s, lgbt people and women. Let's talk about how his terrible policy ideas will hurt those demographics. Interesting and on topic!

edit: Beat by Greyjoy!
:hf:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 11, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kale, the Trump administration is run by literal white supremacists who are calling far-right terror attacks false flags, lobbying for gay people to no longer be a protected class, and endorsing police brutality against Mexicans. Meanwhile, you are getting all whiny because you can't talk about your favourite video games without being reminded that people with different backgrounds and lifestyles to your own exist. If you ever wanted a definition of that 'privilege' word you're so grumpy about, well, there it is.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Man, Trump sure hates black people, latin@s, lgbt people and women. Let's talk about how his terrible policy ideas will hurt those demographics. Interesting and on topic!

edit: Beat by Greyjoy!

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 11, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kale posted:

man, gently caress this troll.

Kale
May 14, 2010

In the interests of the greater condition of the thread gently caress it bit boy did I ever call that one

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 11, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

might wanna put a:nws: by this one, the first couple replies are.... very straightforward.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Kale posted:

I see were resorting to just straight up shitposting now. Again if I rested my case any harder about what this topic does to threads I'd never be able to get it up and going again even if I wanted to.

You are a living, breathing shitpost in the most terrible, boring way.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kale posted:

I see were resorting to just straight up shitposting now. Again if I rested my case any harder about what this topic does to threads I'd never be able to get it up and going again even if I wanted to.

Guys! Stop talking about things I don't like! GUYS!!!!! THIS DISCUSSION THREAD IS ONLY FOR TOPICS I APPROVE OF! STOP IT!

*refuses to let this go and continues to post thousands of words angrily, while declaring he only wants this to stop*

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Kale posted:

dude shut up already and go play mass effect

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For the record, the Google thing is relevant to the Trump administration because this goober has been embraced and bankrolled by the exact same paranoid far-right loons who are the only information source of the most powerful man in the world, so we can probably expect a tweet from him on the subject soon.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

please don't say the word bl*ck, l*tin@s, l*bt p*ople, or w*men because it is very tedious to something awful forums poster kale and he has contributed so much to this thread to be treated disrespectfully by such casual tossing about of these irrelevant and frankly outdated words. please only refer to them as c@mr@des, thank you

Kale posted:

In the interests of the greater condition of the thread gently caress it bit boy did I ever call that one

yeah wow turns out if you make repeated really bad posts with the stated intent of causing a dogpile people will make fun of you great job bill nye you cracked the case

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kale posted:

Your case has nothing but a tiny index card inside and you've done nothing but "rest it hard" repeatedly, slamming it into the floor again and again like a toddler who's just discovered how fun it is to hear how hollow things make an echo noise.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/michaelhayes/status/896080236978118657

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The cool thing about MLK is that he would 100% agree with what I, a white man, have to say.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This thread (USPOL, now Trump-branded for four years) is one of the most "lurk for a while before posting" threads on SA. Bad opinions and posters are attacked pretty aggressively.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Push El Burrito posted:

The cool thing about MLK is that he would 100% agree with what I, a white man, have to say.

Agreed, I mean have you SEEN that Boondocks episode?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yes, keep beating on that poor turtle

https://twitter.com/Susys/status/896105429482168320

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sacramento? I guess that's google HQ?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

e: nevermind was due to another incident.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So...before I just read the cliffnotes version of this dude's memo, but now I read the whole thing. This dude seems to go out of his way to cover his rear end, consistently saying that he's not against diversity, that White people certainly have not had a harder time dealing with life than minorities, and such. But his "solutions" are basically to...eliminate all the current programs Google has for diversifying its workforce. There seems to be some bizarre, twisted logic where he seems to be arguing that removing these programs that promote diversity will some end up increasing diversity, which was his whole loving problem in the first place.

And this is the main thing I don't get about this stupid conversation we're having. Google's decision to hire more women and minorities wasn't the result of government policies. This was Google management making a decision based on what they felt was the direction they wanted to take the company. Whether they did it because they legitimately think it's a noble thing to do, or if they did it just to get good PR, the fundamental result is the same. What this nimrod seems to be arguing is that Google is somehow being compelled to do this by some outside force. We've already established that this outside force is not the government, which means that the only thing this force must be is...holy poo poo, the FREE MARKET!

Yet, if you read this clown's memo/manifesto, he makes it sound like that's not the case. That they're still being compelled by non-free market forces, and by somehow being more free market (which again, how the gently caress is this supposed to work?) everything will be hunky dory because supposedly more minorities will be hired because they're actually qualified, as opposed to the ones that are there right now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Rigel posted:

This thread (USPOL, now Trump-branded for four years) is one of the most "lurk for a while before posting" threads on SA. Bad opinions and posters are attacked pretty aggressively.

Kale couldn't handle one more second of being reminded that non white, straight males exist.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Next they'll come for Albany

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
As someone from the Sacramento area... What did I miss here? Why does this guy want to nuke Sacramento all of the sudden?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wouldn't a pause in operations be literally the opposite of what you would be doing in the event of imminent war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/896113659725795328

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/896114795983716352

Man wouldn't it be a shame if Trump tried to cut Manafort loose? Gosh, that would be a huge pity.

• Locked thread