Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Counterpoint, revert the hog nerf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's amazing how anyone could argue that landing a clip's worth of headshots is just as easy as pressing a button and looking in someone's general direction. Sure both characters can kill you within a second, but one has to play perfectly, and the other just has to be able to see you.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

RCarr posted:

It's amazing how anyone could argue that landing a clip's worth of headshots is just as easy as pressing a button and looking in someone's general direction. Sure both characters can kill you within a second, but one has to play perfectly, and the other has to just be looking in your direction when they press a button.

And has a very slow, very loud, wind-up that makes it really easy to either: a) shoot him; b) control him; or c) get away from a wall.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I wouldn't make any definitive statements about how balanced he is, he's been out in comp for a week and hasn't seen much (any?) tournament play yet. He's doing well in comp at higher skill levels, which might get even more pronounced as people figure out even better ways to play him, or might just be people not yet adapting to his existence.

The thing to keep in mind though is that none of this whining has to do with actual analysis of his place in the meta (because, again, there's almost nothing to go on) and everything to do with people freaking out because there's a new hero who's actually good at killing things.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 11, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

berenzen posted:

would be nice but if he's anything to go by, doomfist is gonna get guttered next time they change him in a patch

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm quite happy to admit that I am bad; but I also don't have the time to get good at Overwatch and other videogames. I can sneak in 2-3 matches per session on a good day. Doomfist makes those matches inherently less enjoyable, because he easily one shots the characters I play as. I'm not going to make any deliberation on whether or not he is good/bad/OP, but he tangibly makes the game less fun for people like me.

e: I'm also fairly certain that this is temporary and eventually I'll get used to dodging him or keeping an eye out for him.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Montalvo posted:

I'm quite happy to admit that I am bad; but I also don't have the time to get good at Overwatch and other videogames. I can sneak in 2-3 matches per session on a good day. Doomfist makes those matches inherently less enjoyable, because he easily one shots the characters I play as. I'm not going to make any deliberation on whether or not he is good/bad/OP, but he tangibly makes the game less fun for people like me.

I mean. They're not gonna balance the game around players that barely play

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

I mean. They're not gonna balance the game around players that barely play

Oh for sure, nor should they. I didn't mean to imply from my post that the game should be balanced around people like me; but maybe some of the folks complaining about Doomfist have similar experiences as I do.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

berenzen posted:

You know what? loving do this. If it'll solve all the Doomfist bitching then do this. I despised Roadhog (my post history can back this up) but if it means I can keep the one character that has brought me back into this game then loving unnerf Roadhog.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i mean, i get it, people feel good playing the OP hero

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel good when I send someone into the wall but pretty much useless whenever that's on cooldown because I'm bad at doomfist

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

just shoot Doomfist lmao

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Yes, Winston is a lot of fun since his totally unnecessary and excessive buff. Lucio too.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The dumb thing about Doomfist is that two of his unique abilities are combined into an escape move for the most effective players instead of being neat abilities on their own

Also his ult is an escape

Dude likes escaping

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

The dumb thing about Doomfist is that two of his unique abilities are combined into an escape move for the most effective players instead of being neat abilities on their own

Also his ult is an escape

Dude likes escaping

Yeah it feels weird that his two dps abilities are used for escape more than damage.

I'm only like 2300 SR but I haven't noticed many dominant Doomfists at my level. He seems to die rather easily even if a good player has him. A smurf Tracer or Genji at my level is murderous though. Honestly even Pharrah/Mercy is still more of a pain in the rear end. But i dunno how it gets at 3k+ SR with him.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I don't even play doomfist, I just play characters that shut him down hard.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah it feels weird that his two dps abilities are used for escape more than damage.

I'm only like 2300 SR but I haven't noticed many dominant Doomfists at my level. He seems to die rather easily even if a good player has him. A smurf Tracer or Genji at my level is murderous though. Honestly even Pharrah/Mercy is still more of a pain in the rear end. But i dunno how it gets at 3k+ SR with him.

I placed at just above 3k and I use both his escape abilities as dps abilities. Diving is dumb and instead I play him like a brawler. It works and is super fun for me.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
For a good time wait till red team Reaper has ult and panic uppercut him into the middle of your team after he dodges your slow-rear end punch by turning into a spooky ghost.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If you really feel Doomfist is OP a better way to prove your point would be slampicking him in comp and demonstrably rising to a rank you otherwise wouldn't have a chance of attaining normally (diamond to GM, masters to top 500 or something) solely on the back of this one weird trick Blizzard doesn't want you to know. Otherwise I'm going to assume that all the complaints of him being super OP are in the same category of people complaining that Pharah is too OP because they can't hit aerial targets and/or haven't learned how to look up yet.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

gently caress lucioball

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Kai Tave posted:

If you really feel Doomfist is OP a better way to prove your point would be slampicking him in comp and demonstrably rising to a rank you otherwise wouldn't have a chance of attaining normally (diamond to GM, masters to top 500 or something) solely on the back of this one weird trick Blizzard doesn't want you to know. Otherwise I'm going to assume that all the complaints of him being super OP are in the same category of people complaining that Pharah is too OP because they can't hit aerial targets and/or haven't learned how to look up yet.
If Genji got buffed so he was 100% brokenly OP and I could pick them every single match I would still probably end up dropping rank because I am bad (especially as Genji) and he would show up on both teams in every match. A character being OP amplifies your impact on the game rather than being a +500SR thing in my opinion/experience. You still have to outplay your opposing number so if you suck it just means your team don't stand a chance.

I have no horse in this race since I've only played Lucioball since DF came out, but let's not get all dismissive with passive aggressive rank shaming.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

gently caress lucioball
Now this, this poo poo right here? I've got some real strong opinions about this! How could you?

I legit might invest in Rocket League because it seems like Lucioball but better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rocket league is infinitely better than lucio ball. it's not even a competition

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
"overpowered" and "bad for the game" are not necessarily the same thing

Redundant posted:

I legit might invest in Rocket League because it seems like Lucioball but better.

I thought lucioball was fantastic last summer, bought rocket league over the winter season, and this year playing lucioball again I'm going "This is loving awful, how did I possibly think this was good last year?" because rocket league is that much better

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

SKULL.GIF posted:

I thought lucioball was fantastic last summer, bought rocket league over the winter season, and this year playing lucioball again I'm going "This is loving awful, how did I possibly think this was good last year?" because rocket league is that much better
This is all good news and what I figured. I was never sure if that sort of small scale stylised football was for me, it turns out it very much is so I might as well play the best version. I look forward to having a new game to be bad at, apologies to my future team mates. It's not my fault, race car is just OP.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

also gently caress rocket league though

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i mean if youre going to play a dumb soccer game then rocket league is the clear choice over an overwatch mod unless you just want the overwatch loot

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

"overpowered" and "bad for the game" are not necessarily the same thing

This is true, good thing doomfist is neither. Doomfist is actually really healthy for the competitive nature of the game. He peels dive heroes off his support line really well while also having a bunch of counterplay both in the numerous heroes that can trounce all over him as well as being able to be simply played around.

The addition of doomfist promises to see a reduction of the dominance of the dive meta, and the rise of off-meta heroes like McCree. That is a good thing for the game in my opinion.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Redundant posted:

If Genji got buffed so he was 100% brokenly OP and I could pick them every single match I would still probably end up dropping rank because I am bad (especially as Genji) and he would show up on both teams in every match. A character being OP amplifies your impact on the game rather than being a +500SR thing in my opinion/experience. You still have to outplay your opposing number so if you suck it just means your team don't stand a chance.

I have no horse in this race since I've only played Lucioball since DF came out, but let's not get all dismissive with passive aggressive rank shaming.

I'm not rank shaming. Snazzy Frocks is a way higher rank than I am. My point is that if you, the hypothetical you, believe that something is easy mode OP brokenly good that the best way to try and prove that point as well as something that's also personally advantageous to you of you're right is to ruthlessly exploit the poo poo out of it for maximum gain. Obviously it would still require a degree of practice but right here in this thread people are arguing that Doomfist is an easier ganker than Tracer and that you just have to vaguely punch in someone's direction to kill them, so if that's the case it shouldn't be all that hard.

If the argument isnt that Doomfist is OP but merely "unfun" then we're right back to the unanswerable question of what constitutes a fun way to die.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

berenzen posted:

This is true, good thing doomfist is neither. Doomfist is actually really healthy for the competitive nature of the game. He peels dive heroes off his support line really well while also having a bunch of counterplay both in the numerous heroes that can trounce all over him as well as being able to be simply played around.

That's not what people are complaining about though. Peeling for his supports is fine, the issue people are talking about is that he's just as good ignoring all that poo poo and just playing excessively offensively. That's why these Tracer/Genji comparisons are being made: he's great in his intended role but he's also surprisingly effective when played like them too and it makes him feel utilitarian and overpowered when honestly I don't think the latter category really fits him.

But then again it's only been what, a couple weeks? Idk that that's enough time to decide that yet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean I don't think it's the worst thing in the world for an Overwatch character to be well rounded enough that they can do two things well as opposed to just one.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I didn't say it was, I'm just trying to point out that him being good at peeling for supports isn't usually what people are complaining about.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

I didn't say it was, I'm just trying to point out that him being good at peeling for supports isn't usually what people are complaining about.

I didn't say it was the reason why people were complaining about him. I'm saying that his mere existence as a hero, so long as he remains as a viable peel hero, threatens the dominance of dive meta, which is healthy for the game. Removing his punch-kill means that he would no longer exist as a threat to dive heroes.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i mean if youre going to play a dumb soccer game then rocket league is the clear choice over an overwatch mod unless you just want the overwatch loot
I'm glad that's settled then.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

also gently caress rocket league though
Now you're just trying to hurt my feelings.

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not rank shaming. Snazzy Frocks is a way higher rank than I am. My point is that if you, the hypothetical you, believe that something is easy mode OP brokenly good that the best way to try and prove that point as well as something that's also personally advantageous to you of you're right is to ruthlessly exploit the poo poo out of it for maximum gain. Obviously it would still require a degree of practice but right here in this thread people are arguing that Doomfist is an easier ganker than Tracer and that you just have to vaguely punch in someone's direction to kill them, so if that's the case it shouldn't be all that hard.
I tend to not bother with "mains" so "ruthlessly exploiting" isn't exactly my style but I see your point. I just mean that game sense and aim will still win the day 9 out of 10 times so the player will be the limiting factor, not the hero. I've played a wide range of heroes from pretty bad ones to very good ones and (once I get used to them) I settle out really close to the same SR because I eventually hit Elo Hello a point where mechanically I get out performed. When I play "stronger" heroes I just reach that rank slightly faster.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean I played doomfist and the enemy team switched to cree, reaper and orisa and I had to swap off because there wasn't many people i could comfortably hit behind their lines, so whatever.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the fact that three people had to switch to counter you before you gave up should tell us something

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Not really? It takes a lot to force a swap off, because there's the chance that you're better than your counter and can outplay/play around them and still be effective. When they swap to 2 or 3 counters, then it likely gets actively difficult for you to be effective. Counterplay should be a greater investment than the playing the hero they're countering.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 12, 2017

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

the fact that three people had to switch to counter you before you gave up should tell us something

Cool. Other characters to consider over powered: Pharah, Genji, Mercy, Tracer

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Bumper Stickup posted:

Cool. Other characters to consider over powered: Pharah, Genji, Mercy, Tracer

Don't forget Winston, D.Va, Widow, Hanzo.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
The other day I stomped an enemy team as Zenyatta up until they all switched to dive characters so they could kill me. Suppose Zen is OP too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

berenzen posted:

Doomfist is a fairly well-balanced hero that punishes players for being bad. Therefore the vast majority of people think he's OP, because they don't want to admit that they're bad. Same thing as Roadhog. Because what people are forgetting, is that if doomfist misses his punch, he's a massive sitting duck and really easy to kill because he has a massively fat hitbox.

Game isn't deaf friendly, unistawin