Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

A simple example would be making poorer specs for poorer markets, and higher end for higher end. If $300 is like a month's wage somewhere, halving the RAM and storage to drop the price by $100 seems reasonable.

A sound idea at first glance. But once you look a bit deeper, it falls apart. Europe is not a poorer market than America, Norway certainly not, yet here they offer 3 (?!) GB RAM, 32 GB storage max and no magnetometer (??!!). I think it's just a board of old directors delirious with sake and syphilis, thinking they are doing some medieval warfare across the mobile market, allocating specs here and there as if they are just the right spear here for just the right target there or whatever. Weird how Apple can sell the same specs at different prices all over the world! Perhaps the hardware isn't really that much of an overhead, certainly if you make all phones the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So we should all be buying Moto E's?

It's a bell curve.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ola posted:

A sound idea at first glance. But once you look a bit deeper, it falls apart.

I didn't (mean to) imply I thought this example made sense, was just saying why it might make sense to release nearly identical phones in different markets.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One+ strikes again.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/08/11/android-o-last-update-oneplus-3-3t/

The 3t, which only launched in November, will only get one major OS update (Android O).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't that the case for most Android phones? I doubt any Motorola/Sony/LG/Samsung phones released this year get beyond O.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

I didn't (mean to) imply I thought this example made sense, was just saying why it might make sense to release nearly identical phones in different markets.

And it was a fair point friend, my gesticulating frustrations are directed at this unfathomable lumbering corporate machine who I thought I shared interests with and who could almost make something great but for some weird reason always chooses not to, obviously and deliberately. I can't even nail the analogy, it's very strange. It's like some wild eyed Andy Warhol-type person, someone who is a genius, and then they sign up for a darts competition, and then they throw all sixes. Amazingly, they nail the sixes. And you think, wtf nail the bullseye or triple 20 or whatever (I don't know darts) but no, they just nail the six because of their psychotic art project. It's great, but it's not...well, it's not the great I really wanted.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't that the case for most Android phones? I doubt any Motorola/Sony/LG/Samsung phones released this year get beyond O.

which is why you shouldn't pay over 300 max if you aren't buying a pixel

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

I would wager the S8 gets the update after O. The S6 launched on Lollipop and is on Nougat now.

Part of it is unfortunate timing since they launched the thing in November. So, technically they are getting two 'major' OS updates in since it didn't launch with Nougat. But release windows aside, 10 months of software support is pretty terrible for a phone that wasn't sub $200.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't really wanna sell my 6P, but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to now rather than wait and have it bootloop anyway and me be out of a phone at a bad time. Problem is I can afford to, say, buy a discount Pixel with my current funds, but I can't really afford to also buy a temp phone for the duration selling my 6P and waiting for a Pixel would require.

Should I just buy a Pixel straight up now and hope I can sell the 6P later on Swappa, or am I just hosed due to the inflexibility of my situation? It's less than a year old and never been out of its case and glass screen protector, so its in mint condition at least.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Buy the pixel put the 6p on swappa when it comes in I guess

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I don't really wanna sell my 6P, but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to now rather than wait and have it bootloop anyway and me be out of a phone at a bad time. Problem is I can afford to, say, buy a discount Pixel with my current funds, but I can't really afford to also buy a temp phone for the duration selling my 6P and waiting for a Pixel would require.

Should I just buy a Pixel straight up now and hope I can sell the 6P later on Swappa, or am I just hosed due to the inflexibility of my situation? It's less than a year old and never been out of its case and glass screen protector, so its in mint condition at least.

If you enable OEM unlock now the fix is much easier if you're tech oriented. It's an incredible pain in the rear end if you wait for the bootloop hell.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Isn't it a very very low number of 6Ps that have been bootlooping? It's not nearly as big of a problem as it is with the 5Xs right?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If you enable OEM unlock now the fix is much easier if you're tech oriented. It's an incredible pain in the rear end if you wait for the bootloop hell.

:sigh:

Well, I suppose there aren't really any stores around here I go to that have the Android Pay capable POS machines anyway...

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Isn't it a very very low number of 6Ps that have been bootlooping? It's not nearly as big of a problem as it is with the 5Xs right?

I can't seem to find any hard numbers on the percentage of units that have kicked off yet, and I'm not sure I can really afford the possible downtime during, say, the middle of a winter snowstorm or some other time-sensitive situation. I'm paranoid like that, you see.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
In that case, it's actually 100% of 6Ps that bootloop and you should definitely buy a Pixel today.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's definitely much less common than the 5x. One theory I've seen is that the 6p just suffers from the big core failure issue, while the 5x suffers from the big core failure issue and whatever problem causes all the other LG bootloops.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I dunno, I had two LG G4's and they just...stopped contacting cell towers. Both of them. I could never find any good documentation on it. It wasn't the bootloop issue, they were just like "well, I'm a mini tablet now, gently caress you". Whatever phone I buy next you guys should just avoid.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Literal Garbage

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Does anyone sell a good dual port USB-C wall charger? The one at the Google store is out of stock.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 12, 2017

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Uthor posted:

Does anyone sell a good dual USB-C wall charger? The one at the Google store is out of stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-CHOETECH-Included-Nintendo-Supported/dp/B017I7EX46

I have this one, it's got a good rating on amazon and has lasted me at least a year and a half with no grief.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Thanks, but I'm looking for two ports. I'd like to charge my phone and tablet at the same time. Looks like I forgot a word in my OP.

I guess I could use a USB-C and USB-A dual port charger as the tablet is just micro-USB, but I'd rather have two USB-C ports for future proofing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So we should all be buying Moto E's?

Android Police just had a gushing review of the latest Moto E which seemed to me to be filled with nothing but reasons not to buy it.

Their thrust seemed to be that it has a lovely screen, stuttery performance, and a terrible camera but it's $130 and better than what $130 used to buy. What it's got going for it is an enormous battery (good for 2-3 days or 12 or so hours of SoT) and current software.

I can see the argument that it's a great replacement for a flip phone or a very light smartphone user and that the average user would be better suited by the G5+ for only $100 more.

After that, the theory holds. Who is the G5S+ for? People who wish the G5+ was exactly the same just more expensive? The X is just a dumb idea executed poorly and the Z is even worse. I kinda wish there was a letter after Z so we could get an even dumber Moto phone.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Android Police just had a gushing review of the latest Moto E which seemed to me to be filled with nothing but reasons not to buy it.

Their thrust seemed to be that it has a lovely screen, stuttery performance, and a terrible camera but it's $130 and better than what $130 used to buy. What it's got going for it is an enormous battery (good for 2-3 days or 12 or so hours of SoT) and current software.

I can see the argument that it's a great replacement for a flip phone or a very light smartphone user and that the average user would be better suited by the G5+ for only $100 more.

After that, the theory holds. Who is the G5S+ for? People who wish the G5+ was exactly the same just more expensive? The X is just a dumb idea executed poorly and the Z is even worse. I kinda wish there was a letter after Z so we could get an even dumber Moto phone.

If there was it would definitely be the last in line

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

the average user would be better suited by the G5+ for only $100 more.

I get what you're saying but "only $100 more" would mean almost doubling the price in this case.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If the G5S Plus has a non-garbage low light camera I'm buying it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol how many psi of boost is it running

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mu Zeta posted:

yeah

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

I get what you're saying but "only $100 more" would mean almost doubling the price in this case.

And I get that too. It's not like the Moto E is really for developed markets and I have absolutely no doubt it's the best option in developing markets. But here in America and likely over in Europe (not sure on Moto's pricing over there but it definitely seems like it's all over the place), the loss in functionality is worth way more than $100. $100 is a tame night out for most of us.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

LastInLine posted:

And I get that too. It's not like the Moto E is really for developed markets and I have absolutely no doubt it's the best option in developing markets. But here in America and likely over in Europe (not sure on Moto's pricing over there but it definitely seems like it's all over the place), the loss in functionality is worth way more than $100. $100 is a tame night out for most of us.

thats my daily avocado toast budget

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mu Zeta posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

:sigh:

Well, I suppose there aren't really any stores around here I go to that have the Android Pay capable POS machines anyway...
I don't think he's saying you have to unlock the bootloader yet, just make sure you enable the ability to do so before it starts bootlooping.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If there was it would definitely be the last in line

Motoromega

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So new Pixels are down to $524 from google, new pixel XL's are $569.

G5 Plus has had a price cut for the non-prime version so 2GB is $179.99, except they still haven't fixed the enhanced 4g issue on verizon meaning you can't have cell and data on at the same time.

I don't even know what to buy anymore.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Can we talk about why voice, hangouts, duo and allo, and now I guess youtube all exist as separate message apps...

Is anyone in charge there?

Assistant can be triggered on a home with "hey google" but "ok google" only on a phone. Almost seems like a good design flaw to keep commands separated except "ok google" also triggers a home, because of course it does. Reading a discussion on why this is super annoying one guy described having to trick his home so it wouldn't hijack the commands since it can't do things the phone version can yet. The problem is his wife thinks he's cheating on her because he keeps whispering poo poo into his phone in a corner. Probably the most google thing I've ever read.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 12, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

Can we talk about why voice, hangouts, duo and allo, and now I guess youtube all exist as separate message apps...

Three different levels of perspective:

1. Well youtube is more of PM function in a video community context, the others have different tech approaches which are targeted at different markets, usages, hardware, etc.

2. Think of Google not so much as a cohesive unit, but a warring continent. The Duo clan will never come to terms with the Allo clan. Hangouts are the Lannisters. :iiagota:

3. We are just hairless monkeys clinging to a tiny rock in empty space, uselessly flailing before our beloved computers.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

FInally, now my phone with 8GB of memory can be tricked out to look like a stick of gaming RAM.

Jacobus Spades fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 12, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Looking forward to the Corsair G.Skill Ripjaws Edition, with big fuckoff radiator fins. :dance:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ola posted:

2. Think of Google not so much as a cohesive unit, but a warring continent. The Duo clan will never come to terms with the Allo clan. Hangouts are the Lannisters. :iiagota:

Google is not really like Microsoft wherein the different units are fighting with each other. It's more that the different units are just really independent and can do what they want.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

I wasn't totally kidding earlier with this

MikeJF posted:

Look, the plan was to unify multi-user interaction within these different google services and systems though Google Plus, but some people didn't want to use it. :crossarms:

So now they're all basically flailing in the dark without a plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the Youtube users will never accept integration with an outside source like Hangouts or Allo. They tried to force Google+ into Youtube and everyone hated it. The best schadenfreude part was when the guy that created Youtube and uploaded the first video ever on the site posted that Google+ was poo poo.