Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Excellent Politico article about why the "there are no good options"trope is bullshit.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154809516826680&id=62317591679

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sure we do, Congress hasn't declared war since the 40s, they're probably not going to start now barring NK doing something so stupendously horrendous that it results in China placing its military under US control to better coordinate the assault.

Doesn't mean we won't invade NK, but there won't be a "war"

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

James Mattis came up with mean nuclear policy. Many dead. Not fair to Korea! Why no diplo option, Jimmy?

Jimmy Nuka

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Or, as I like to call him mutually assured destruction Dog Mattis!

/mugs the camera
/is actually tweeting
/poops

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ :golfclap:

Azhais posted:

Sure we do, Congress hasn't declared war since the 40s, they're probably not going to start now barring NK doing something so stupendously horrendous that it results in China placing its military under US control to better coordinate the assault.

Doesn't mean we won't invade NK, but there won't be a "war"
When your only response is :spergin: perhaps you ought to look more closely at the actual issue rather than the grammar of the language.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

coyo7e posted:

^^^ :golfclap:

When your only response is :spergin: perhaps you ought to look more closely at the actual issue rather than the grammar of the language.

He was being deliberately flippant.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Between this thread and the president, I don't get jokes anymore.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I still maintain that if Donald intended to actually declare war, or if Mattis/McMaster/Kelly thought that he was likely to, we would be seeing mobilization by now.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I still maintain that if Donald intended to actually declare war, or if Mattis/McMaster/Kelly thought that he was likely to, we would be seeing mobilization by now.

If they did that north korea would attempt to pre-empt us.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Spun Dog posted:

Between this thread and the president, I don't get jokes anymore.
Yeah, threads like this just get to the point where I I'd rather shoot first and let the mods sort them out. I am sure that someone has something new and edgy and original to contribute in this thead they didn't read and then jumped into while pretending to be :crossarms: :spergin: , but I'm not going to bother giving a drat, "all trash on the floor goes in the trashbin", as my grandmother used to say when she cleaned my room and my comics and toys got tossed if they weren't put away.. Perhaps more people ought to live like that.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

business hammocks posted:

Looks like he owned up to not finishing the phd. Lying about that alone is enough to get yourself fired.

Did he say he had one somewhere? I checked his linkedin when this debacle started and he doesn't say he has a PhD there. Not that I am defending this douchebag...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Donny doesn't know what the word mobilization means.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

If they did that north korea would attempt to pre-empt us.

They literally can't actually fight without doing that

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I seriously expect a Trump war to start with a tweet declaring war, then a bunch of followup tweets annoyed at the army for not attacking yet.

Kale
May 14, 2010

the black husserl posted:

I don't have the inherent disgust/hatred for Trump that some people have had since the very start of his candidacy (I just thought he was gross/dumb) but the more I've been exposed to him the more I've come to believe he is a truly despicable person.

Like he's not just rich and spoiled and ignorant. I keep seeing more and more evidence that Trump is actively malevolent.

Yeah he's a whole different breed. I think he'd be a poo poo human regardless just like there are Warren Buffetts in the world that are obscenely rich but don't strike me as complete monsters

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Remember when Trump dodged any discussion of his strategy against ISIS or lack thereof by saying that any candidates who did talk about it were giving their plans away before the military has a chance to enact them?

Well he's basically doing that now. Law of Trumpian Projection strikes again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I don't have the inherent disgust/hatred for Trump that some people have had since the very start of his candidacy (I just thought he was gross/dumb) but the more I've been exposed to him the more I've come to believe he is a truly despicable person.

Like he's not just rich and spoiled and ignorant. I keep seeing more and more evidence that Trump is actively malevolent.

The dude's first venture into the public eye involved getting sued for not letting black people rent his properties. He's always been scum.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

They literally can't actually fight without doing that

They have a credible second strike in terms of hitting south korea at the very least.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
lol worlds biggest bully is now realizing he has worlds strongest military and is going to get us all eradicated by everyone getting super tired of the worlds biggest bully

this is such a neat story

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

The dude's first venture into the public eye involved getting sued for not letting black people rent his properties. He's always been scum.

Oh totally, racist, con-artist, greedy landlord bully scum for sure. I guess I just didn't think it was...personal.

Like, it's clear he enjoys keeping Americans in suspense and making them sweat over the threat of war. It's not just a means to covering up his ignorance, he seems to be genuinely enjoying the whole thing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Your Taint posted:

Excellent Politico article about why the "there are no good options"trope is bullshit.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154809516826680&id=62317591679

hey gently caress you for this link

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/24/how-to-take-down-kim-jong-un-215411?cmpid=sf

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh totally, racist, con-artist, greedy landlord bully scum for sure. I guess I just didn't think it was...personal.

Like, it's clear he enjoys keeping Americans in suspense and making them sweat over the threat of war. It's not just a means to covering up his ignorance, he seems to be genuinely enjoying the whole thing.

If there's one thing Donny loves most, it's ratings.

That's why he brings up his EC win so much, it's the ultimate proof that he brings in the numbers.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

pokie posted:

Did he say he had one somewhere? I checked his linkedin when this debacle started and he doesn't say he has a PhD there. Not that I am defending this douchebag...

He did not complete his PhD.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

it's quite literally narcissistic gaslighting

this is what sociopaths do in personal relationships. he now gets to control an entire country with the same tactics. it is a narcissistic wet dream

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/barbarastarrcnn/status/896152426977280000

Uh, DoD...I don't think that was Maduro

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lol DoD thought the quote was from an entirely different president

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions
I'm honestly baffled... what is the implied rationale behind a possible military action in Venezuela? Like was Trump just confused about what country they were talking about?

Kale
May 14, 2010

skylined! posted:

this is what sociopaths do in personal relationships. he now gets to control an entire country with the same tactics. it is a narcissistic wet dream

Thats how I've come to see it and a lot of people still seem curiously okay with it or think he's going to adapt to the office rather than expecting it adapting to him.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sandeep posted:

I'm honestly baffled... what is the implied rationale behind a possible military action in Venezuela? Like was Trump just confused about what country they were talking about?

"Me big toughy guy."

"Fox say... Venezuela? Venezuela... Venezuela!"

"We're considering military options for Venezuela."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skylined! posted:

I don't disagree with the thesis, but I also don't think gaslighting means what you think it means.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Sandeep posted:

We probably just ended up in the Mercenaries timeline somehow, no big deal

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Oh poo poo. Apologies for subjecting everyone to racist facebook comments.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/marykbruce/status/896131268546449409

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sandeep posted:

Go read the entire Venezuela thread. :v:

I'm against US military action there, but "authoritarian hellscape" misses a few notes of what makes current Venezuela uniquely horrifying.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

Not to get all 4d chess but Trump does disguise a lot of that malevolence as blunders.

That detail makes me think of the guy at the end of Hannibal where that dude is trying to insult Julianne Moore while Anthony Hopkins is eating pieces of his brain and it comes out all garbled.

The idea that he practiced that line communicates his malevolence and sheer incompetence.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I don't disagree with the thesis, but I also don't think gaslighting means what you think it means.

nah he's gaslighting everyone he can

lies
projects
attempts to flatter
denies saying things he's on tape saying
is clearly wearing us down over time
actions and words rarely sync
is literally telling the nation everyone but him is a liar

what is your definition for gaslighting

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sandeep posted:

Maybe he thinks the US can take the oil.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

So this guy thinks we're in sweeps week or

Like it's not building excitement and good tension, he's building existential dread and horror

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

This is it boys. Mueller's getting the axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Go read the entire Venezuela thread. :v:

I'm against US military action there, but "authoritarian hellscape" misses a few notes of what makes current Venezuela uniquely horrifying.

No, I understand that things are awful there and it's only going to get worse. But there are no American interests there and there is no threat to American interests there. And outside of those two cases, America doesn't really intervene in another country's internal affairs. Especially not militarily. I don't think there is any constituency here or in Venezuela or anywhere in the world that is recommending a military intervention here. It's way crazier than Grenada.

• Locked thread