Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

deadly_pudding posted:

I liked GB16, but I didn't go in with high expectations, either.

But uh, talking about like a "This is Spinal Tap" for Ghostbusters, I think there's a really amazing straight-to-netflix show in the following concept, which you may mail me a check for:

Make a fake reality show for Ghostbusters, in the style of like "Pawn Stars", or "Verminators", which was a Discovery Channel show about a pest control company. Just really get into the undignified parts of the process and the behind the scenes yelling at each other about mass spectrometers, in between ghost fights where the cameraman is obviously losing his poo poo and trying not to get fried by an errant proton stream.

there's a lot of ways you could remake the idea and do something different. that'd also be a good way to avoid people doing direct comparisons to the original, since it'd genuinely be a different movie.

hell, you know how paul feig worked on the office? why not an office-style comedy about ghostbusting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

some guy on the bus posted:

The fact that it got as much as attention and controversy as it did and it got about $100 million more than it deserves shows the audience was there.

Movies without an audience to support them get made all the time, though? It's why movies fail, fundamentally.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

MisterBibs posted:

Movies without an audience to support them get made all the time, though? It's why movies fail, fundamentally.

No, I'm saying it shouldn't have made half as much money as it did. Why would anyone have spent money on it after that trailer? It shows how starved people were for Ghostbusters that such a large group was willing to see it no matter what an abomination it looked like.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Nobody is starved for Ghostbusters, though, that's the point. If there was some massive mainstream audience simmering just under the surface to see more Ghostbusters, the movie would've been a huge success on that alone. The manbabies would've had the cinematic weight of someone who didn't like the Avengers, or whatever. But they did have weight, because it was then and a whole lot of people who were :geno: over the idea of seeing that movie Dad made them watch, that didn't do much for them, starring those actors they don't really know.

It's a mistake to assume that a franchise you like has some untapped waiting-in-the-wings fanbase, especially with a franchise that captured lighting in a bottle thirty years ago, once.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There was a massive audience waiting to see Bill Murray and Aykroyd and Ramis and Hudson step back into the characters and do their thing again. At a certain point it was obvious that was never going to happen, and those people moved on with their life and for the most part their reaction to seeing a completely rebooted Ghostbusters being made was "huh, I'll give it a shot I guess."

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ghostbusters '16 failed do to bad word of mouth.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

Nobody is starved for Ghostbusters, though,

Yeah they were you dingus

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

It's a mistake to assume that a franchise you like has some untapped waiting-in-the-wings fanbase, especially with a franchise that captured lighting in a bottle thirty years ago, once.

There was quite a solid fan base for years, but they never supported this reboot, party because Sony and Fiege pretty told them to go gently caress themselves.

Then it turned out the movie was garbage anyway, so it didn't matter.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LeJackal posted:

Sony and Fiege pretty told them to go gently caress themselves.

jfc you are delusional

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

jfc you are delusional

Meant to quote MisterBibs, I guess.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

EDIT: You know what, that was a little overly intense, I'm just going to reiterate that Sony and Feig weren't intentionally isolating people because there were some nerd jokes

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 11, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm just going to reiterate that Sony and Feig weren't intentionally isolating people because there were some nerd jokes

And once again, it's not like Sony didn't want to make Ghostbusters 3. It did. It had been trying for 25 years. It legally couldn't make that movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah they were you dingus

What evidence do you have of this? A game came out (complete with all the original voice actors, sans one), and its most memorable trait was its in-game DRM and that the company that made it went out of business later on. Every 'hey they might be making a GB3' blurb would barely register a blip on social media, for a day, before falling into the ether. And when they announced GB16, the gender of the cast vastly outshadowed the actual reveal that there'd be another Ghostbusters movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fuckin go search ghostbusters fans.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MisterBibs posted:

What evidence do you have of this? A game came out (complete with all the original voice actors, sans one), and its most memorable trait was its in-game DRM and that the company that made it went out of business later on. Every 'hey they might be making a GB3' blurb would barely register a blip on social media, for a day, before falling into the ether. And when they announced GB16, the gender of the cast vastly outshadowed the actual reveal that there'd be another Ghostbusters movie.

Ghostbusters has had a pretty steady level of interest for more than a decade.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2005-01-01%202015-01-01&q=ghostbusters,back%20to%20the%20future

I compared it to Back to the Future since I feel like it has similar cultural cachet and ran it from beginning of 2005 to beginning of 2015, stopping just shy of the GB2016 announcement.

Edit: also, lol

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I am continually amazed at the ability of people to somehow not get mr bibs. He is this way in literally every thread and there is no excuse at this point.

I mean, yeah, he's a willfully ignorant joke of a human being but at this point he really should be enough of a known quantity that engaging him is enough to share blame.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Where's Retarded Clown?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I am continually amazed at the ability of people to somehow not get mr bibs. He is this way in literally every thread and there is no excuse at this point.

I mean, yeah, he's a willfully ignorant joke of a human being but at this point he really should be enough of a known quantity that engaging him is enough to share blame.

I know all about this but I'm bored and wanted to call him a dingus

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Fuckin go search ghostbusters fans.

That says nothing of merit, though. What evidence do you have that actual extant audiences care about Ghostbusters?

Aleph Null posted:

Ghostbusters has had a pretty steady level of interest for more than a decade.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2005-01-01%202015-01-01&q=ghostbusters,back%20to%20the%20future

I compared it to Back to the Future since I feel like it has similar cultural cachet and ran it from beginning of 2005 to beginning of 2015, stopping just shy of the GB2016 announcement.

Man, I hadn't known how much BTTF has fallen out of popular culture, its as dreadful as the Ghostbusters numbers. Especially once you plug in things that are actually in the modern pop culture, and both Ghostbusters and BTTF become flat lines of cultural disregard.

E: man, I wish you hadn't shown me that. Now I'm mildly obsessed with punching in franchises actually care about in this day and age, and seeing how they stack up against Dad Franchises like Ghostbusters, and apperently, BTTF.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 11, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Considering how old it is, it's impressive how Ghostbusters still has strong name recognition. Even before the new movie virtually everyones heard of it regardless of whether or not they're seen the movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Where's Retarded Clown?

In the White House.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yaws posted:

I watched the Ghostbusters cartoon more than the movies so in my mind Slimer and Winston are just a part of GhostBusters as the rest of the gang.

that's my Ghostbusters story.

Same. I actually had a tripod site back in the mid 90s and used to post reviews and screenshots of the individual episodes because I had a bunch of them on VHS. I liked the first movie well enough, I just liked the cartoon a lot more because of all the cool and freaky ghost designs, the voice actors they had were cool (Arsenio Hall and Lorenzo Music!) and the music was very 80s pop, which I still love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOucv2Zh33w

I'm glad I didn't become one of those fans that over identify with the franchise. I only wrote those reviews for a year or so. I was curious if the site's still around but it looks like Tripod took it down, but I'm still credited on the Spook Central website for contributing, so... yeah. Ghostbusters. It sure is a movie franchise I guess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

That says nothing of merit, though. What evidence do you have that actual extant audiences care about Ghostbusters?

Man, I hadn't known how much BTTF has fallen out of popular culture, its as dreadful as the Ghostbusters numbers. Especially once you plug in things that are actually in the modern pop culture, and both Ghostbusters and BTTF become flat lines of cultural disregard.

E: man, I wish you hadn't shown me that. Now I'm mildly obsessed with punching in franchises actually care about in this day and age, and seeing how they stack up against Dad Franchises like Ghostbusters, and apperently, BTTF.

Who hurt you

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Won't somebody think of The Franchises?

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Yaws posted:

Considering how old it is, it's impressive how Ghostbusters still has strong name recognition. Even before the new movie virtually everyones heard of it regardless of whether or not they're seen the movie.

I agree. Planet of the Apes, King Kong, The Mummy, Mad Max, Clash of the Titans, Robocop, Oz the Great and Powerful, Tron, The Karate Kid, and Hairspray all managed to do decently (or make more cash than Ghostbusters worldwide), and I don't see how they had higher recognition than Ghostbusters before being remade.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Shazback posted:

I don't see how they had higher recognition than Ghostbusters before being remade.

The trends feature really sings for this sort of thing, although I'm annoyed I can't add all the ones you brought up. I'll try and juggle them and suss out a pecking order later on, but the surprising winner for a long-term analysis (as far as I can go back with the thing) is TRON. Put it up against Ghostbusters and BTTF, and it it's searched a bit more, even before the spike when Legacy came out*. Hell, I've been throwing out other popular 80s films and I'm struggling hard to find one that doesn't soundly beat out Ghostbusters.

This is the umpteenth time I wish I had access to Q Scores.

* Full disclosure, the TRON results are a bit odd because it's adding "gra o tron" to its results, I think.

e: vv I'm not generally going to Toys R Us, but sure I see Ghostbusters merch in the clearance bins at Gamestops when I hang out with someone who works there. I'll ask him, next time I see him, what his experience with the merch was.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 12, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Please go to Gamestop or Toys R Us and count the Ghostbusters merch. Thanks

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

Ghostbusters has always been an advertisement for itself, a pure advertisement for a nonexistent service. You see an ad for an advertisement and then watch an advertisement peppered with advertisements. Ghostbusters, as a blockbuster, doesn't 'do' anything (that's the beauty of it!), but it does make you "feel good!" It's a meme, existing only to perpetuate itself. It's what Jurassic Park satirized: "your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." And it's why their nemesis is a marshmallow.

There are dozens of Ghostbusters 3's out there, but one of the most obvious is Jurassic World. If the title wasn't already taken, you could just change the name to Ghost World and call the sexist Pratt character Venkman. It's not like the ghosts didn't resemble dinosaurs already.

The remake's failure is purely the result of bad advertisement. And I mean that the film failed as an advertisement for itself.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

The trends feature really sings for this sort of thing, although I'm annoyed I can't add all the ones you brought up. I'll try and juggle them and suss out a pecking order later on, but the surprising winner for a long-term analysis (as far as I can go back with the thing) is TRON. Put it up against Ghostbusters and BTTF, and it it's searched a bit more, even before the spike when Legacy came out*. Hell, I've been throwing out other popular 80s films and I'm struggling hard to find one that doesn't soundly beat out Ghostbusters.

https://trends.google.com/trends/ex...%20the%20titans

Looking at 2004-2008, before the video game or any remakes or anything, Ghostbusters was clearly more searched for than Robocop, Planet of the Apes (despite the 2001 film), Mad Max and Clash of the Titans, so I don't agree that it's "hard to find one that doesn't soundly beat out Ghostbusters".

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ghostbusters has always been an advertisement for itself, a pure advertisement for a nonexistent service. You see an ad for an advertisement and then watch an advertisement peppered with advertisements.

Are you saying Ghostbusters is a more fictional version of The Emoji Movie?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Shazback posted:

https://trends.google.com/trends/ex...%20the%20titans

Looking at 2004-2008, before the video game or any remakes or anything, Ghostbusters was clearly more searched for than Robocop, Planet of the Apes (despite the 2001 film), Mad Max and Clash of the Titans, so I don't agree that it's "hard to find one that doesn't soundly beat out Ghostbusters".

Why are you limiting your searches to some random four year period? We're talking cultural weight and popularity over time, only the largest span of time has any significance. The average dominant search in a properly-configured graph is a movie that couldn't beat Pitch Perfect 2 at the BO.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ghostbusters has always been an advertisement for itself, a pure advertisement for a nonexistent service. You see an ad for an advertisement and then watch an advertisement peppered with advertisements. Ghostbusters, as a blockbuster, doesn't 'do' anything (that's the beauty of it!), but it does make you "feel good!" It's a meme, existing only to perpetuate itself. It's what Jurassic Park satirized: "your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." And it's why their nemesis is a marshmallow.

There are dozens of Ghostbusters 3's out there, but one of the most obvious is Jurassic World. If the title wasn't already taken, you could just change the name to Ghost World and call the sexist Pratt character Venkman. It's not like the ghosts didn't resemble dinosaurs already.

The remake's failure is purely the result of bad advertisement. And I mean that the film failed as an advertisement for itself.

smg have you ever actually said anything of substance or value

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

Why are you limiting your searches to some random four year period? We're talking cultural weight and popularity over time, only the largest span of time has any significance. The average dominant search in a properly-configured graph is a movie that couldn't beat Pitch Perfect 2 at the BO.

Because GB 16 was a bad movie

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The sound of metal chains whipping against bare flesh hang heavy in the air, like a bird flying into a headwind. The room is damp and sparsely lit. SUPERMECHAGODZILLA’s scarred jowls are illuminated by a desk lamp laying sideways on the floor

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
Which reading is true? Which reading is true? WHICH READING IS TRUE!?

KOOS
[Spits mouthful of blood] The words are used specifically for their literal intention, the events are straightforward so as to be easily understood by an audience of children.

The beating begins again, with a furious vigour, until SUPERMECHAGODZILLA can barely stand. He rests one hand against a dirty wall, sweat marring his 1993 Nebraska Film Festival hypercolor t-shirt.

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
The opposite reading is true… The opposite reading is true. I’ve been to college.

KOOS straightens his posture, his pride and dignity unscathed by the days long assault of a fat, stupid man.

KOOS
Any perceived allusions to facism in A Goofy Movie are a wholesale invention of a misguided viewer.

SUPERMECHAGODZILLA adopts the look of a man who has been defeated. Wearily, he grabs a shotgun that had been resting in the corner, and cocks it loudly.

KOOS
Goofy simply wishes to bond with his son through fishing, a traditional pastime, as he had done with his own father. It is neither parable nor allegory. Neither dog was molested, the material does not support this.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looking forward to BTTF to get badly remade.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spaceballs was a cautionary tale about what ultimately happened to the Ghostbusters franchise.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 12, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Avril Lavigne posted:

Are you saying Ghostbusters is a more fictional version of The Emoji Movie?

I've done everything in my power to avoid Emojimovie, so I can't comment on that.

What I am saying is that Ghostbusters represents the purified essence of what it is to be a blockbuster. That may even account for the '-buster' suffix.

This fact has nothing to do with its quality. A purified blockbuster is simply what it is. But as a result, you can see Ghostbusters' formula in dozens (if not hundreds) of blockbusters of varying quality and financial success. It's basically the formula whenever a large-budgeted and lightly comedic sci-fi film gets 'meta' without being conducive to interpretation as a satire. And pay special attention to films about capitalist heroes.

Godzilla 1998, the american 'remake', doesn't much resemble a Godzilla film - but it absolutely follows the formula of a Ghostbusters film (to the point that it represents something of a middle-ground between Ghostbusters and Ivan Reitman's 2001 film Evolution). The only real difference is in the title: Ghostbusters advertises the Ghostbusters, while Godzilla is explicitly the harmful product unleashed upon the world. For a while in 1998, the world was blighted with massive green advertisements, with a tagline that promised pornographic excess:

The Avengers and the other Iron Man films are Ghostbusters films. They're literally about a team of Ghostbusters fighting undead creatures from another dimension while selling merch on the side. Like Ghostbusters, the films make constant references to advertisement, propaganda, and the entertainment industry - while also featuring advertisements for future films within the films themselves. The Avengers are brought to you by Stark Industries. They're literally a ghost-fighting company (though technically a private foundation).

And like I said, the same applies to most of the Jurassic Park films. If they did make a "Ghostbusters Go To Hell", it may as well resemble Jurassic Park III. Trapped on an island with ghosts everywhere? Sure, why not.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 12, 2017

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Thankfully the people who own the rights have said this will happen over their dead bodies, so get ready for New Back To The Future the second they're in the ground.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 12, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Rick & Morty has existed for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jamesman posted:

Rick & Morty has existed for years.

It's similar but its different, so I don't see how this applies.

• Locked thread