Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Somebody needs to make a reclining toilet already.

I think i saw that episode of Home Improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Somebody needs to make a reclining toilet already.

with leather padding, raised handlebars, kickstand, and noise-amplifying muffler.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Pictured: Stage 4 house cancer

No seriously what the hell is that stuff and why the gently caress would someone do that to their house?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

No seriously what the hell is that stuff and why the gently caress would someone do that to their house?

This sink looks a little too big for this countertop as well

edit: who has a floor lamp in front of their oven?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The Frozen fandom is getting out of control.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

I really like the toaster oven, on top of the oven.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Youth Decay posted:

2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 642 square feet. Is it just me, or is that tiny as hell?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FCKGW posted:

This sink looks a little too big for this countertop as well

edit: who has a floor lamp in front of their oven?

does that cabinet have vitiligo or did they just run out of stain

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm guessing the oven hasn't worked in a long time.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Ignoranus posted:

2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 642 square feet. Is it just me, or is that tiny as hell?

2 bedrooms one bathroom. Pretty normal size for a 2BR 1920s bungalow though many of the tiny ones like these have been added to over the years. In the photos on Zillow you can see how small the rooms are (one bedroom is the blue room and the other one is the black room). Another view of the first bedroom:

Edit: For a less tumor-ridden example, see the cheapest SFH in Seattle

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 11, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jerry Cotton posted:

Again: curtains, together with double glazing and (for old windows that don't have seals) window paper or tape* for Winter. Or heck it's 2017 why not do triple glazing. My mother's old place was built sometime in the 1800s and it had double windows (I guess the additional pane is called a storm window in English?).

I'm not trying to say small windows aren't inherently a better technical solution to heat loss because they obviously are. Complete windowlessness is even better. But both aesthetically and psychologically normal-sized windows are miles better.

*)

:lol:

Craftsman style was really popular in pasadena (as well as central ca) where it gets hot. These houses were built before ac and double pane windows.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

That is like Dr. Necessiter's apartment in The Man With Two Brains.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Youth Decay posted:

Edit: For a less tumor-ridden example, see the cheapest SFH in Seattle
I was thinking about what suspiciously good deal this was, then I saw the runway.

Veth
May 13, 2002
Homeless Pariah
The "Port Package" refers to Port of Seattle-financed windows and doors to compensate for being in the Seatac flight path.

It's also technically not in Seattle.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

peanut posted:

At what point do huge windows stop being a greenhouse and just let in cold air? Is there something about the contents of a greenhouse (dirt & plants) that make it warmer than a lawyer foyer?

Huge windows are way worse at insulating than a wall, it's just that the plants need sunlight, so a greenhouse is a compromise.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Youth Decay posted:

Someone saw the alien hive scene from Aliens and thought it looked really homey, and just really wanted that same sense of organic growth on industrial areas at home.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Huge windows are way worse at insulating than a wall, it's just that the plants need sunlight, so a greenhouse is a compromise.

Well, yes and no. The point of a greenhouse is to trap the sunlight during the day and a little bit into the night, and avoid frost. It also protects against wind. See also CO2 as a "greenhouse gas" because it traps more of the sun's heat in the atmosphere.

If you stored the plants in a normal room with walls you'd miss out on the whole point which is free heat from the sun, as well as the UV light they'd get anyway from being outside.

To clarify a little further, the heat from the sun is radiation, it's infrared light, so it passes through glass fairly easily. Once it hits the stuff inside the greenhouse (including the ground) it's absorbed and those things then heat the air nearby. This is totally normal and combined with moisture outside in volume is how you get clouds.

In the greenhouse that warm air a) can't get blown away by the wind and b) can't convect away because of the roof, so it stays much warmer than it would in your normal climate allowing you to either grow things longer throughout the year or grow more tropical stuff midsummer.

You will eventually lose the heat to convection-conduction through the glass and some radiation from the plants and soil, but without the glass it would've been gone hours ago so it's always a net positive.

peanut posted:

At what point do huge windows stop being a greenhouse and just let in cold air? Is there something about the contents of a greenhouse (dirt & plants) that make it warmer than a lawyer foyer?

So they never "let in cold air" if they're closed and fitted properly, but they do let out some re-radiated heat and when the warm air touches them if it's cold outside they'll conduct that heat to the air outside making it colder inside.

So if you're in a cold climate and you're trying to heat the room at night, that heat is going to pass through the glass more easily than a wall as endlessmonotony says. You open the curtains during the day to let the sun radiation in and close them at night to stop the air touching the glass. Floor to ceiling curtains work better because there'll always be some air touching the glass, getting cold and starting to sink down to the ground. The curtains form a bubble at ground level stopping that air from drifting into the rest of the room and being replaced by warmer air at the top.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 11, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thank you for a clear and thorough explanation. So, that glass garage door should be fine during the day but cold af at night (and completely visible to the whole street)?

All I know is we went strawberry picking on an icy winter morning and the vents of the greenhouse were iced shut and it was hot enough to wear a t-shirt inside there.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

So, that glass garage door should be fine during the day but cold af at night (and completely visible to the whole street)?

Depends on the climate. Heat transfer through glass is like any other diffusion over a semi-permeable membrane; it's dependant on the concentrations on both sides. If it's very warm inside and very cold outside then more warmth will move out than in and it'll get colder inside. If they're both about the same they'll stay about the same. If you're in Nevada and it's a billion degrees outside then that heat will creep in through the glass the same way it creeps out in England.

The trick is that there's two heat transfer mechanisms at play which interact differently with glass. The re-radiated heat from the carpet or sofa or whatever is negligible, so the heat leaving that room when the door is closed it only through convection-conduction-convection through the glass, which is a slow process slowed even more by any insulation in the glass.

The heat coming in, however, is both conducting through the glass (depending on air temp outside) AND radiated in by the gallons of infrared being emitted by a giant ball of flame in space. Since infrared light isn't stopped much at all by glass the heat is coming in much faster than it's going out.

So on a sunny day that room will be horrendously hot even if it's cold outside, and in a cold night there'll be nearly no heat coming in and a little more going out as the air outside cools, so it gets real cold inside, the same as when you leave a car in the sun vs try to sleep in one overnight.

peanut posted:

All I know is we went strawberry picking on an icy winter morning and the vents of the greenhouse were iced shut and it was hot enough to wear a t-shirt inside there.

Only the air touching the glass will conduct heat to the outside (and then sink to the ground pulling in warmer air in its place, aka convection) so the air floating up from the ground will be hot as hell until its mixed with air touching the glass. It also helps that earth is dark and so will absorb more of the heat from the sun rather than reflecting it.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 11, 2017

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Depends on the climate. Heat transfer through glass is like any other diffusion over a semi-permeable membrane; it's dependant on the concentrations on both sides. If it's very warm inside and very cold outside then more warmth will move out than in and it'll get colder inside. If they're both about the same they'll stay about the same. If you're in Nevada and it's a billion degrees outside then that heat will creep in through the glass the same way it creeps out in England.

The trick is that there's two heat transfer mechanisms at play which interact differently with glass. The re-radiated heat from the carpet or sofa or whatever is negligible, so the heat leaving that room when the door is closed it only through convection-conduction-convection through the glass, which is a slow process slowed even more by any insulation in the glass.

The heat coming in, however, is both conducting through the glass (depending on air temp outside) AND radiated in by the gallons of infrared being emitted by a giant ball of flame in space. Since infrared light isn't stopped much at all by glass the heat is coming in much faster than it's going out.

So on a sunny day that room will be horrendously hot even if it's cold outside, and in a cold night there'll be nearly no heat coming in and a little more going out as the air outside cools, so it gets real cold inside, the same as when you leave a car in the sun vs try to sleep in one overnight.

Only the air touching the glass will conduct heat to the outside (and then sink to the ground pulling in warmer air in its place, aka convection) so the air floating up from the ground will be hot as hell until its mixed with air touching the glass. It also helps that earth is dark and so will absorb more of the heat from the sun rather than reflecting it.

I think there is some kind of robotically controlled blinds product that will lower the blinds in the day when the outside temp is above the thermostat temp, and raise them when the outside temp is lower than the thermostat temp (and do the opposite at night) but I can't seem to find it. Basically the same idea as a greenhouse but in your actual house.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

"Fortunately" I'm in a climate where heat isn't a problem often enough to put infrastructure in for it, so we just get thick curtains for warmth on non-summer nights and bake like a dog on concrete for 2 weeks a year.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*looking at frozen wonderland house*

That's the worst toilet paper roll holder I've ever seen.

Why are there two toilet roll holders in the same room?

Why does that bookshelf have windows?

I don't even care about the dumb ice aesthetics. It's the logistical questions that bother me.

The_end
May 17, 2014

The Bloop posted:

I don't even care about the dumb ice aesthetics. It's the logistical questions that bother me.

One roll looks like paper towels.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Youth Decay posted:

gently caress all y'all I love this house

I want a house that is built to look like gollum's cave complete with basement grotto

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm thinking that House Cancer house must have been at one point grotto themed. With painted and airbrushed fake "rocks" where it's now painted white and grey. Someone really wanted to live in a magic mushroom cave.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm thinking that House Cancer house must have been at one point grotto themed. With painted and airbrushed fake "rocks" where it's now painted white and grey. Someone really wanted to live in a magic mushroom cave.

Nah it's icicles and poo poo. look at the broken ice mirror. They have a wampa fetish

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Bloop posted:

Nah it's icicles and poo poo. look at the broken ice mirror. They have a wampa fetish

I think they should just Let It Go.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I am thinking the one on the right is a paper tower dispenser.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm too drunk to actually look at the pictures but are the book shelves with "windows" just book cases?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TheDon01 posted:

I think i saw that episode of Home Improvement.

You did. The La-Z-Bowl. It's plush while you flush!

Or that "batin'" chair from Idiocracy.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 11, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_end posted:

One roll looks like paper towels.

Samizdata posted:

I am thinking the one on the right is a paper tower dispenser.

I think you are both right. It didn't even occur to me to have that in a bathroom and I chalked up the size to perspective.

I must therefore amend my statement to say that that is by far the ugliest paper towel roll holder I have ever seen.

edit for semi-relevant humor

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 11, 2017

The_end
May 17, 2014
Is that some sort of pastry?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

overboard
Aug 26, 2009

Bozart posted:

I think there is some kind of robotically controlled blinds product that will lower the blinds in the day when the outside temp is above the thermostat temp, and raise them when the outside temp is lower than the thermostat temp (and do the opposite at night) but I can't seem to find it. Basically the same idea as a greenhouse but in your actual house.

This has probably been more commercialized by now but North House was an interesting prototype of this technology on a whole house scale: http://rvtr.com/projects/project-a/

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Jaded Burnout posted:

infrared light, so it passes through glass fairly easily

it actually really does not. older cameras that used infrared autofocus couldn't reliably focus through a window.

also i use a window at work to trick-shot the projector remote off of because there's no actual line of sight

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Glass is actually IR opaque. However, visible light will still get through, and heat the objects inside.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Fun fact: glass is also largely UV-opaque, so you shouldn't sunburn if there's glass in the way!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'll find a way to get sunburned! You can't stop me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Glass is actually IR opaque. However, visible light will still get through, and heat the objects inside.

which is why greenhouses work at all, infrared can't get back out through the glass either