Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Ibblebibble posted:

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed cruising around in the car in XV?

It's as much fun as driving in your real car listening to your FF tunes.

By that, I mean it's a lot of fun. I enjoyed it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So what's your favorite all-time moment of any Final Fantasy game?

Mine is in FF4 when you're trying to escape the Red Wings in the Underground post-Tower of Babil, when Cid decides to jump out of the airship and blow himself up, sealing off the underground and thus stopping your attackers from pursuing you. The guy literally blows himself up to save you, yet still survives. Literally immediately after Yang blows himself up to save the dwarves (and also survives). I mean, it takes some serious loving balls to jump out of an airship and explode yourself. FF4 Cid is loving awesome.

So what's your favorite all-time FF moment (from any FF game, including spin-offs)?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mega64 posted:

Does any FF game have Blind affect magic, though? I think only Silence matters for magic, and for that it's all or nothing.

Yeah, it;'s most noticable in IV where it does that and it actually works. It might very well be intended to do so in other games but most of them either broke Blind itself or magic accuracy in general. :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mega64 posted:

Mine is in FF4 when you're trying to escape the Red Wings in the Underground post-Tower of Babil, when Cid decides to jump out of the airship and blow himself up, sealing off the underground and thus stopping your attackers from pursuing you. The guy literally blows himself up to save you, yet still survives. Literally immediately after Yang blows himself up to save the dwarves (and also survives). I mean, it takes some serious loving balls to jump out of an airship and explode yourself. FF4 Cid is loving awesome.

So what's your favorite all-time FF moment (from any FF game, including spin-offs)?
I will never relive the magic of being 10 or 11 and watching two floating mercenary schools shoot motorcycles at each other.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In terms of moments that stuck with me the most, it would have to be everything at the end of the world of balance in FF6. Celes shows up out of nowhere, Kefka kills Gestahl, Shadow got left behind (in my first playthrough), thousands of people die as the planet blows up, your sweet airship gets torn apart and your friends go flying everywhere. Then you wake up on an island, your caretaker gets sick, he dies, and Celes attempts suicide. Like, Goddamn.

Edit: in terms of "drat this is badass" I'd probably consider FF7 when you leave Midgar. You steal a motorcycle, ride it down a flight of stairs and then protect your friends in some pitiful truck as you make your getaway.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 12, 2017

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Mega64 posted:

Auron's speech before the battle against Yunalesca was the most intense and cool thing then I was ten. Like there has been a bunch of stuff thats way better than that but that snapshot of when I first played that game is probably my favorite moment in FF.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

i like the time garland said he was going to knock us all down

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I can't think of my number one favorite moment from Final Fantasy. There's quite a few.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

I can't think of my number one favorite moment from Final Fantasy. There's quite a few.

Then list them all, it's mainly an excuse for people to talk about what they love about this dumb series, both comical and serious moments.

Hell, I'll supplement my somewhat-comical (yet honestly true) FF4 response with a more serious one. The first time you visit the Black Mage Village in FF9, with Vivi's whole arc there and Zidane telling Garnet about searching for his home. It stands strong for so many reasons, particularly Vivi finally finding people like him and finding "a place to call home" (which is actually the party but finding his brothers and a reason to keep going is pretty sweet too).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Here's mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cdO5BuMDwo

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

cait sith's heroic sacrifice where reeve is roleplaying being sad or, the robot has become sentient or, I'm not sure, followed by cait sith coming on screen 5 seconds later while cloud is pummeling aeris

Mega64
May 23, 2008

poo poo, that's beautiful. Don't think this will match it, but when I think of Final Fantasy and Thriller...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p_ENriuXqk

GulagDolls posted:

cait sith's heroic sacrifice where reeve is roleplaying being sad or, the robot has become sentient or, I'm not sure, followed by cait sith coming on screen 5 seconds later while cloud is pummeling aeris

Another legit favorite moment of mine just for how awkward the timing is. Anyone who wants Iscar Matthias to replace Cait Sith clearly cannot appreciate a proper awkward entrance.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ain't even gonna lie. The end of disc 1 in FFVII.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The exact moment I stopped playing FF3DS

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i can't find a video of Moms are tough thats the scene where she blows up, and it saddens me cuz thats my fav moment in 13

second, third, and 4th fav is lightning punching snow with fifth being worst birthday ever

13 was good

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
When Tidus made sweet romance to Yuna in the water.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My absolute favorite FF moment is tough.

FFIV's Giant of Babel sequence where all the thought-to-be-dead characters show up with loving tanks to help you stop the giant unstoppable behemoth is pretty great.
FFV is probably Galuf's death.
FFVI is either the opera scene or the World of Ruin transition, the latter mostly for how off-guard it caught me.
FF7 has a bunch but I'd actually probably pick the ending of Crisis Core even over Aerith's death or whatever.
FF8 is probably the battle between the Gardens
FF9 is tough as hell but probably Alexander vs Bahamut
FF10 is Tidus' death
FF12 is... uh, that's a tough one, none of the scenes stood out to me that much as being the Best Scene
FF13 is the racetrack assault CGI, stupid and nonsensical as it is.
FFXV is the ending for sure.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

FF12 is... uh, that's a tough one, none of the scenes stood out to me that much as being the Best Scene
I'd say Reks getting stabbed, or maybe that whole introduction in general, if I had to pick something from FF12. It's basically the only moment in that game that I think really works dramatically.

Though I guess Basch's final conversation with his brother is alright too.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 12, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

It's not nearly as overt as other examples, but Yang's introduction in FF4 always stood out to me. Saving everyone from certain doom, abilities out the wazoo, stronger than anyone and just using his fists at that. Biggest badass in the series for sure.

The very beginning of 4 is good too. Normally in final fantasy you start out as a weakling but here you start out with a Dark Knight and a Dragoon and are just utterly obliterating anything in your way. (Naturally the dark knight thing is too good to be true)

Electromax
May 6, 2007
FF7, the motorcycle chase to the full world map.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

GulagDolls posted:

Nah. Cait Sith isn't sentient... just eccentric. Also, Reeve is a costume as much as Cait Sith is. We never met the real "Reeve."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umqq6UI1RW8

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Jecht falls off the ledge, and Braska's Final Aeon claws his way back up. This was very cool to me in tenth grade and it is still cool now.

But my favorite FF moment has to be Palmer getting hit by a truck.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

Lightning punching Snow. Twice. Then when he says "I'll save Serah and I'll protect Serah and be the hero" she says "Great job so far."

I'm not even kidding that's my favorite FF moment ever because I want to IRL punch delusional people who can't accept objective reality.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGC_EzojK6E&t=26s

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFXV fighting the boss of the sewer dungeon at an appropriate level
FF13 fighting Proudclad
FF12 fighting Gilgamesh
FFX fighting the elevator guardian in Zanarkand/rocking Yu Yevon's world while finding out what your summons thought of you
FFIX error file not found
FFVIII any boss fight once you learn junctioning; any bossfight where you can use "vagina cannon" or Lionheart
FFVII fighting that robot lifter boss for the right to your submarine
FFVI fighting Ghost Train
FFV fighting Zeromus and running a train of pain on him
FFIV fighting the Dark Elf
FFIII fighting the will to continue
FFII fighting the emperor... OF HELL
FFI fighting whatever boss you chose to obliterate post talking to Bahamut

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
them's fightan words

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Ghost train in VI
End of disc 1 in VII
Tie between Garden fight or Waltz scene in VIII
Ending of X
Way too many to name in XIV
Ending of XV

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
FFI the Floating Castle was a rad dungeon
FFII after you beat the game and then roll through the afterlife with all your dead bros in the GBA version
FFIII when I quit playing because the DS version sucked
FFIV when you found out Golbez was Cecil's brother :monocle:
FFV every scene with Gilgamesh
FFVI when the story splits in the beginning and you do the three scenarios. I thought you'd be doing poo poo like that through the whole game and was mildly disappointed it never happened again
FFVII Aeris :rip:
FFVIII the ending FMV featuring No-Face Leonhart
FFIX finding the Black Mage Village and talking with No.288
FFX getting to the Calm Lands and opening up *~*~SIDEQUESTS~*~*
FFXI when I beat the Promys when they were still hard and I appeared in Lufaise with this loving sweet OST song playing. Close second was getting Valor Surcoat drop after like two years of doing Dynamis
FFXII the Fafnir hunt because he was a baller rear end beast with huge swords sticking out of him
FFXIII was obviously SNOWPUNCH but I really liked the Cie'th stone missions
FFXIV-FFXV I can't play video games anymore because I'm an old man with small children
FFT "I am Velius... the devil..."

FFIV Golbez reveal and FFT "I am Velius" were probably my favorite and most memorable.

FFX and FFXII kinda sucked, I really struggled with those.

Bregor fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 12, 2017

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
well i just learned about the canon ff10-2.5

lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The assault on Bevelle in FFX is one of my favorites, everyone grinding down to crash the wedding and Yuna jumping off only to summon Valefor.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Relin posted:

well i just learned about the canon ff10-2.5

lol

becoming the victim of ancient landmines is no laughing matter

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Somebody post the blitzball screens with Tidus' head.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
A favorite moment of mine is FF4's Mount Ordeals. The entire way up, Cecil is near-useless because the dark element on his sword makes him deal poo poo for damage. You're left to rely on two five-year old kids and an old man way past his prime. He's been, if not your best, your most reliable damage dealer up until this point.

Then Cecil becomes a Paladin.

The walk back down is a completely different experience. Cecil obliterates all of these enemies that he could barely scratch before, combined his rapid level gain to catch up with the rest of the team is such a fist pump hell yeah series of events.

FF4 had a lot of really good story-through-gameplay parts like that.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 12, 2017

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
1. Pretty much everything with Vivi's arc in FFIX, but visiting the Black Mage Village (and his scene at the grave) was really, really well done. Man, FFIX blew the rest of the series away in terms of pathos.
2. The entire Besaid intro sequence in FFX where you just battle with Wakka and discover the island. It felt like refuge after a chaotic first few hours, and everything was so pretty!
3. Getting to World of Ruin and realizing, holy poo poo, it's a completely new game, there's no going back.

Bonus non-Final Fantasy answer: Magus's Castle.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

mandatory lesbian posted:

i can't find a video of Moms are tough thats the scene where she blows up, and it saddens me cuz thats my fav moment in 13

second, third, and 4th fav is lightning punching snow with fifth being worst birthday ever

13 was good

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flfVP0dQDwg&t=1979s

Links are tough

Unappreciated dumb moment: right after that, Snow gives Vanille a gun and she play shoots him like a child

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Raxivace posted:

I liked it too. I had fun just chilling and looking at the sights.

In general the whole road trip theme of the game really worked for me and reminded me a lot of stuff I did when I was young.

I wonder if there's correlation there? Most of my summers in grade school were spent piled in a car going to a dog show or visiting family. Eos is way prettier than eastern Washington and Idaho for the fifth time.

Mega64 posted:

I've got two, just to be selfish.

Going deep into Cloud's psyche near the end of FFVII was a goddamn trip. The game had its share of mysteries (like the line "Back then, you'd get by with just scraped knees!") and it was intensely rewarding to finally get to put all the pieces together. It was a good decision, ultimately, to control localization of the game - there are just too many bits that are relevant as time goes on that could be told poorly or ruined by heavy-handed translation. I don't honestly think it would be a problem for modern studios, but I also don't think they're going to pull off all aspects of the crazy story if the remake ever comes out. Just a bad feeling I have.

Reading the Germonik Scriptures in FF Tactics was another great, revelatory moment. I don't see this discussed at length, but maybe that's for the best. The game had already more than dabbled in the supernatural, this swerve set up the ending and recontextualized nearly everything.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It's something I only ever saw on my last play through of FFIX because I hadn't been paying attention. When Kuja captures the party and sends you off to the dungeon where magic is useless (the thing I had forgotten about and missed because I wasn't paying attention), if you bring Vivi he has a short moment with one of the Black Mages that rejoined Kuja just before they teleport you out. Paraphrased:

Black Mage: "Aren't you going to say something?"
Vivi: "No. I'd have probably done the same thing."

It's an incredibly powerful little moment that builds on the parallels between Vivi and Kuja, and I never would have seen it if I had left him behind like the game STRONGLY suggested.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

zedprime posted:

I will never relive the magic of being 10 or 11 and watching two floating mercenary schools shoot motorcycles at each other.

This is exactly what came to my mind too

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

mandatory lesbian posted:

13 was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G0MWqnH00Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZSoM5RjBWM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLKSFPrD_Tk

I'd have to replay each game over again to decide what my favorite scene is; as it stands, it has been too long since I played any of them (barring XIV) to say for sure. And I really don't have time for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVI: Kefka's petulant reaction to the heroes' reasons for fighting. He has no real response so all he can do is destroy everything and try to crush their hope. It really hammers home what kind of a person he is and shows that every moment he breathes is a threat to everyone else in the world.

FFVII: Nibelheim Flashback. People complain about it nowadays but it was revolutionary for the time and still holds up IMO. I was speaking of the "Cloud's Past" segment of course but the "real" Nibelheim Flashback, when we see Cloud take off the grunt helmet after loving Sephiroth up, is perfectly done as well. The music in that whole bit is fantastic, especially when Cloud, now revealed to be a nobody, overpowers Sephiroth and throws that super badass soldier to his death.

FFVIII: Garden Battle or Squall's and Rinoa on the Ragnarok. I'm a sucker for well-used music and Eyes on Me was great in that scene.

FFIX: Kuja goes Trance and then destroys Terra. I still consider Kuja the best character in IX and that whole scene is divine because it is the perfect culmination of Kuja's character arc. He finally has all the power he could ever want....and it still isn't enough. FFIX is full to the brim with existential crises and Kuja's solution was to try and become the strongest being in existence. He learned, to his sorrow, that strength does not give your life meaning.

FFX: Everything to do with confronting Yunalesca. Special shoutout to Auron's flashback when, blinded by grief, he charged Yunalesca and pretty much got killed for his trouble.

FFXII: This one is easy. Everything at the top of the Pharos. Gabranth finally cracking and urging Ashe to destroy Arcadia because he (Gabranth) hates the Empire and himself more than anything in the world. Cid then shows up and we get a cool ight with him and his final words to his son. And then Reddas' awesome end. "I, Judge Magister, condemn you to oblivion!"

FFXIII: Space Pope is revealed to be Robogod. Seriously, Dysley/Barthandelus had a great voice-actor and theme song and when they both kick in at once and he insults the party while they all poo poo themselves? It's a rare moment when XIII is really on point with its storytelling.

FFXIII-2: Caius finally makes his move and kills both our heroes in a couple minutes. Either that or his final chat with Noel about all the Yeuls he's guarded. (yes, "a Yeul who LIKED TO SING!" God bless you, Liam O'brien)